Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

kryogen wrote: »
    I still dont believe 300k basic either way

You can now. Ben Smith don't do B.S

@BenSmithBBC: Rooney is expected to sign a new five-and-a-year contract with #MUFC this week. £300k per week isn't bad either"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I wouldn't mind but Rooney has been pretty poor tbh.

Really overrated performances this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    I think the rooney deal is smart business...

So tge alternatives are srll him for 15-20 in summer with his contract in last year or worst case he wants to stay and play his contract out... so we are left with problem of replacing a striker like him easy 40 million, also he is influential and if he goes could have a very negative effect on morale. Also if we allow him leave it could start a domino effect with rvp and other players thinking might go too. Also without champions league it will be harder to sign the cavanis etc to replace rooney or for that matter big name players seeing our best players leaving could turn the allure of joining united sour.

I dont like moyes tactics but if keeping rooney is one thing he does he deserves a round of applause imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    Imo

4-3-1-2 is tge formation we should be aspiring to... mata or kagawa behind rvp and rooney and big clear out in summer to change defense and midfield up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    You can now. Ben Smith don't do B.S

@BenSmithBBC: Rooney is expected to sign a new five-and-a-year contract with #MUFC this week. £300k per week isn't bad either"
    He mightn't do BS but he does conjecture.

Imo

4-3-1-2 is tge formation we should be aspiring to... mata or kagawa behind rvp and rooney and big clear out in summer to change defense and midfield up

That'd be one way of making Mata/Rooney and RvP fit. Do you think Moyes would play that system though or has any aspirations to?

Also, what 3 in midfield would you have?

£300k p.w is a lot of Wonga and puts Rooney in the Messi & Ronaldo wage league.

but in saying that Utd are in no position to be selling and trying to replace a player like Rooney, so all considered it makes sense.

Wayne really is a very lucky boy and a few things have falling into place for this deal to land more so in his favour than the club. especially with the last couple of disloyal manoeuvres to secure, or provoke a move.

or maybe he (and his agent) are just shrewd money hungry operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Sky Sports News have said Rooney has not signed a new contract, United have dismissed the story and said negotiations are ongoing.

So that's that then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I can understand him getting that much if RVP is leaving in the summer and Rooney will be going into his best position and scoring near 30 goals a season but considering his current role in the team he is not worth near 300k a week IMO.

I'm not sure whether to give Moyes much credit either, I mean who is going to turn down 300k a week? We don't know if Rooney is thinking to himself "I can sit here for 5 years and pocket 70m, I'll be near retiring then anyway" or if Moyes has told Rooney his plans and Rooney is happy that we will be back on top soon even after the blip this season.

• Advertisement

£1.2 million a month. WOW

he will probably walk home with about £700k a month after tax.

I wouldnt earn that in 10yrs never mind a month.

£300,000 a week.
    £42,857.14 a day.
    £1,785.71 a hour.
    £29.76 a minute.
    £0.50 a second.

Its like winning the lotto 12 times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

£1.2 million a month. WOW

he will probably walk home with about £700k a month after tax.

I wouldnt earn that in 10yrs never mind a month.

Its like winning the lotto 12 times a year.

Sure the glazers are loaded. Happy days keeping Rooney. Dont care what the money is. Im not the old trafford accountant.

Sure the glazers are loaded. Happy days keeping Rooney. Dont care what the money is. Im not the old trafford accountant.

Unfortunately the way the game has gone fans need to worry about how their club spend money as it could be destroyed within a matter of months ala Leeds Utd.

I wish it wasnt the way, but it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No
    There is no way Rooney is worth that money. He has only ever had 2 outstanding seasons and those were in the period between the Ronaldo and RVP era's. When there is a star of the show that is not himself, it seems to knock him. He definitely has a gripe with RVP being the star at United.

I would sell him to Chelsea and let him flop there. We'll see how he copes with Mourinho rotating him and Hazard/Oscar stealing his plaudits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I would sell him to Chelsea and let him flop there. We'll see how he copes with Mourinho rotating him and Hazard/Oscar stealing his plaudits.

If Rooney was at Chelsea he'd start as the striker every week. There would be no rotating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would sell him to Chelsea and let him flop there.

LOL.

Rooney has thrived when he's played as the main striker. And you think sending him to Chelsea, where he'd be the main striker, with the likes of Hazard and Oscar supplying him, will see him flop???

Madness. He'd be scoring 30 goals a season at Chelsea.

• Advertisement

That would be a risk beyond crazy.

If Chelsea landed Rooney they would be out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    I can maybe see RvP being moved on in the Summer with Rooney up top and Mata supplying behind.

I would also speculate that both Rooney and RvP already know this. Pure guesswork but thats my gut feeling on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Rooney is the talisman for man utd. Take him out and the identity is gone, at least until some other player takes the mantle. It's more about the image going forward than his long term ability, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

There is no way Rooney is worth that money. He has only ever had 2 outstanding seasons and those were in the period between the Ronaldo and RVP era's. When there is a star of the show that is not himself, it seems to knock him. He definitely has a gripe with RVP being the star at United.

Nope. Don't think so at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

We need to keep Rooney

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Rooney is the talisman for man utd. Take him out and the identity is gone, at least until some other player takes the mantle. It's more about the image going forward than his long term ability, IMO.

Bit in bold I dont agree with at all.

Also, the guy is only 28. He still has an awful lot to give in terms of ability

No
    Unfortunately the way the game has gone fans need to worry about how their club spend money as it could be destroyed within a matter of months ala Leeds Utd.

I wish it wasnt the way, but it is.
    Personally, I think the game has moved on even further again financially. So much so that it would take a catastrophic turn of events over the course of a few seasons for anything like what happened to Leeds to happen to United.

Money can be thrown at problems to ensure it doesn't happen. You can basically buy success nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney has always played second fiddle to another striker when it benefited the team more and he never made a big deal about it, then when he needed to be the main man he always stepped up.

Personally, I think the game has moved on even further again financially. So much so that it would take a catastrophic turn of events over the course of a few seasons for anything like what happened to Leeds to happen to United.

Money can be thrown at problems to ensure it doesn't happen. You can basically buy success nowadays.

my post wasn't about Utd directly but yea you're right.
    Utd have so much financial muscle it would take some momentous event to bring it down.

but the point is still valid and all fans should scrutinise how their current owners are spending etc as it could be the ruining of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

James Ducker @DuckerTheTimes
    Rooney contract will be five-and-a-half years sorry, not four-and-a-half years. Takes him to June 2019 in effect. #MUFC

That's a massive one..

After trying it twice now in the past to leave, I thought this would be the summer Rooney would try his hardest to leave with only a year left on his contract and no champions league.

300,000 grand a week helps I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    Rooney has always played second fiddle to another striker when it benefited the team more and he never made a big deal about it, then when he needed to be the main man he always stepped up.

Last season? Him stating that he wasn't happy because of playing in midfield and attempting to leave the club in the Summer as of a result. I would call that making a big deal about it! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I can maybe see RvP being moved on in the Summer with Rooney up top and Mata supplying behind.

I would also speculate that both Rooney and RvP already know this. Pure guesswork but thats my gut feeling on it.

like you pure guesswork but that is my gut feeling as well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Blatter wrote: »
    Last season? Him stating that he wasn't happy because of playing in midfield and attempting to leave the club in the Summer as of a result. I would call that making a big deal about it! :p

Having to pick up the slack for our poor midfield is a bit different to making sacrifices to play alongside Ronaldo & RVP ect.

No
    Signing a player up on a 5 and a half year, £300k/week contract which by the time it ends he'll be approaching his 34th birthday?

It's certainly more a statement of intent rather than a rational football decision.

• Advertisement

No
    beno619 wrote: »
    Having to pick up the slack for out poor midfield is a bit different to making sacrifices to play alongside Ronaldo & RVP ect.

What's changed this season?

He's played in the same position that he played for the majority of last season. You could probably count on one hand the amount of times Rooney played in a deep CM/wing role last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Signing a player up on a 5 and a half year, £300k/week contract which by the time it ends he'll be approaching his 34th birthday?

It's certainly more a statement of intent rather than a rational football decision.

I really doubt the wages reported by media as we have seen how they keep on printing different numbers specially for players who makes back pages easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It's a completely stupid contract for a player that isn't in good form at all.

Rooney was drawing plaudits because a lot of fans were afraid to lose him. Ferguson didn't think he was worth the baggage in the end and left it up to Moyes to make a decision. I think this is a terrible decision for the club and I think it's time to move on from Wayne Rooney.

No
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I really doubt the wages reported by media as we have seen how they keep on printing different numbers specially for players who makes back pages easily.

You're right about Rooney's last contract, reports ranged from between £180-250k/week.

The figure of £300k is being reported very consistently this time. They could just be all just copying each other at the same time though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Pros;
    We get to keep probably our most iconic player, in terms of seniority and potential to play on for a few more years. Probably also found our team captain for the next few years too. Should also probably put an end to any toy-throwing for a while too, and be it Moyes or someone else, the manager next season doesn't need to worry about buying a new first team striker and losing a key player to a major rival. Also likely he demanded reassurances about next season, and was happy with what he saw, which should reassure fans in turn.

Cons;
    Once again, Rooney has held the club to ransom, and for all people say "no one person is bigger than the club", Rooney is treated like no other. He's being put on a level with Ronaldo and Messi, and you've got to ask if he is THAT good (not denying he's good, but asking if he's 300k a week good). 300k, if true, may possibly have been freed up to bring in two or three first team players, and you've got to ask yourself if he's better than 3 100k players. It probably heralds the end of RVP at United too; it's likely if Rooney stays, he'll want to be playing in his natural position. (On the pro side though, RVP's wages could probably be used to bring in two more first teamers). Locking him in for five years is great, but is he the type of player who, at the age of 33, will still be worth 300k a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    What's changed this season?

He's played in the same position that he played for the majority of last season. You could probably count on one hand the amount of times Rooney played in a deep CM/wing role last season.

He's mostly played behind the main forward this season as opposed to a run he had in CM last season as well as being played on the RW and asked to mark Di Maria who ended up assisting Ronaldo due to poor closing down by Rooney. He played everywhere last season.

I wouldn't hate the idea of RVP moving on in the summer if it meant we moved to a more progressive style of football, With Mata or Kagawa behind Rooney.

Miss Nani and a Valencia who could cross also my favorite Welbz goal in here.

No
    beno619 wrote: »
    He's mostly played behind the main forward this season as opposed to a run he had in CM last season as well as being played on the RW and asked to mark Di Maria who ended up assisting Ronaldo due to poor closing down by Rooney. He played everywhere last season.

The same applies to last season as well. As I said, you could probably count on one hand the amount of times Rooney didn't play behind the main striker. The game in Madrid you mention, is one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Should also probably put an end to any toy-throwing for a while too,

Probably wont though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

My heart rules my head, when it comes to Rooney.
    It sickens me to see him in a United jersey and I can't even bring myself to cheer him when he scores.
    It's more a case of " Well that's what you're paid for"
    I know he brings a leaders attributes( which may be in short supply next season)as well as technical ability, but I don't believe there's any real love or respect towards the club from him. I won't shed any tears when he leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

No
    Sound familiar. Someone gets given a suspiciously long contract, seems to be more a public declaration/show of faith than having any business/sporting logic. Reality is that at the moment their future at the club is far from certain. Opinion of fans is mixed to say the least.

Oh yeah, the individual concerned is an ex-Evertonian :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Just saw a very good point made on twitter about Rooney signing on:

It's 300k for a world class player who's been at the club for 10 years and is proven.

Compare that to signing a player of similar quality to Rooney; add in transfer, wages and signing on fees etc and you're probably talking 70 million or so.

Contract may be a bit long for some, but it removes any doubt that Rooney would want to leave imo.

My heart rules my head, when it comes to Rooney.
    It sickens me to see him in a United jersey and I can't even bring myself to cheer him when he scores.
    It's more a case of " Well that's what you're paid for"
    I know he brings a leaders attributes( which may be in short supply next season)as well as technical ability, but I don't believe there's any real love or respect towards the club from him. I won't shed any tears when he leaves.

I'm just going to be blunt and say you need to get used to modern football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Rooney and his agent know that no foreign club would pay him the Messi/Ronaldo level of 300k a week and Utd wouldn't sell him to an English rival so Rooney can and has bent Utd over for whatever he wants. This is the 3rd time he has done it in the past few years. By the time this contract runs into it's latter stages he'll be 32/33, well past his best and still pulling in 300k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

According to one of the rags some Utd players are on contracts that cut their pay by 25 percent if we are not in the Champions League.

No
    Discodog wrote: »
    According to one of the rags some Utd players are on contracts that cut their pay by 25 percent if we are not in the Champions League.
    If anybody had that clause in their contract then they're not worth losing any sleep over.
    It would be beyond retarded to have any important players with that in their contract.

• Advertisement

If anybody had that clause in their contract then they're not worth losing any sleep over.
    It would be beyond retarded to have any important players with that in their contract.
    Erm, not sure why. The players are the ones who are supposed to perform and get us to the CL.

To me it sounds like a very logical clause to put in a contract. Without the CL there'll be a drop in revenue and a drop in wages will help to offset that. If a player doesn't like it then they shouldn't have signed the contract. If they don't like it when it comes into effect then they can pack their bags or the club can review the terms of the contract where they see fit.

Makes good business sense IMO.

No
    Erm, not sure why. The players are the ones who are supposed to perform and get us to the CL.

To me it sounds like a very logical clause to put in a contract. Without the CL there'll be a drop in revenue and a drop in wages will help to offset that. If a player doesn't like it then they shouldn't have signed the contract. If they don't like it when it comes into effect then they can pack their bags or the club can review the terms of the contract where they see fit.

Makes good business sense IMO.
    Well keeping your best players would be the priority if you missed out on Champions League football.
    Cutting wages would be detrimental to that.

Well keeping your best players would be the priority if you missed out on Champions League football.
    Cutting wages would be detrimental to that.

No, because if the club decide to allow a player, Mata for instance, to stay on their current wages then can just draw up a new contract reflecting same. And in the case of Cleverley they can just tell him to fúck off if he starts giving out.

No
    No, because if the club decide to allow a player, Mata for instance, to stay on their current wages then can just draw up a new contract reflecting same. And in the case of Cleverley they can just tell him to fúck off if he starts giving out.
    Well that's what I meant by the most important players. Could be true for the Cleverleys of this world, not a hope of the big names having it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    Schwiiing wrote: »
    Rooney and his agent know that no foreign club would pay him the Messi/Ronaldo level of 300k a week and Utd wouldn't sell him to an English rival so Rooney can and has bent Utd over for whatever he wants. This is the 3rd time he has done it in the past few years. By the time this contract runs into it's latter stages he'll be 32/33, well past his best and still pulling in 300k a week.

messi and ronaldo earn way more than 300k a week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement