Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    Well that's what I meant by the most important players. Could be true for the Cleverleys of this world, not a hope of the big names having it IMO.

What big players? RVP and DDG the only ones I can think of. Rooney clearly wont now, and Mata surely wouldn't. Would actually be surprised if RVP had such a clause - DDG might. The rest.... who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

messi and ronaldo earn way more than 300k a week.

Where are you getting your info? Wikipedia has them on £251,200 and £330,569 respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    What big players? RVP and DDG the only ones I can think of. Rooney clearly wont now, and Mata surely wouldn't. Would actually be surprised if RVP had such a clause - DDG might. The rest.... who cares?
    What I meant was fringe players would be the only players that might have that clause. I doubt anybody who was a regular under Ferguson would have that in their contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Locking him in for five years is great, but is he the type of player who, at the age of 33, will still be worth 300k a week?

It's 5 years away. Impossible to say what the 'average' wage will be like then, unfortunate as it is to think about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Where are you getting your info? Wikipedia has them on £251,200 and £330,569 respectively.

Mitch's posts are like the bible

you're either a believer or you ignore them :):p

joke

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    Mitch's posts are like the bible

you're either a believer or you ignore them :):p

joke

HA!

Ronaldo and Messi's wage figures are after tax - Rooney's isn't. Rooney comes out with, ball park figures, 150-170 a week on the new contract - Ronaldo and Messi get near twice that straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

HA!

Ronaldo and Messi's wage figures are after tax - Rooney's isn't. Rooney comes out with, ball park figures, 150-170 a week on the new contract - Ronaldo and Messi get near twice that straight.

How do you know this? Genuinely curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What I meant was fringe players would be the only players that might have that clause. I doubt anybody who was a regular under Ferguson would have that in their contract.
    Why? Anyone who was a regular under Ferguson would never have believed we'd miss out on the Top 4, why is it so hard to believe they'd agree to this kind of clause in their contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The times reported back when Ronaldo got his new contract that he gets £660,000 a week before tax.

No
    Genuine mixed feelings on Rooney

He's the heart of the team, but he's tried to break our hearts a few times and his attitude sometimes is irritating or childish

It's more what it would say to the footballing world if he left United, especially to an English team

all in all its a bit :-/

How does the vatican know Jesus is the real deal :):D okay i'll stop now

• Advertisement

No

It is how they have always been reported - and why they fear tax increases in spain because the contracts are negotiated after tax, so an increase in tax sees Barca/Real pay more to keep the players take home the same (as per the contract).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Will Keane starting up top today for QPR with Doyle

Arsenal will get smashed again today, if we had a good attacking coach we could have done the same

Edit: maybe not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Why? Anyone who was a regular under Ferguson would never have believed we'd miss out on the Top 4, why is it so hard to believe they'd agree to this kind of clause in their contract?
    It's not about the players being happy to sign it thinking it wouldn't happen. It's about the effect it would have now when it does happen. Nobody likes a pay cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Read some of the news I missed over the weekend

Rooney turns the screw when the club are at it's weakest to line his pockets again.

Sorry but 300k is madness for a player who when on form is quality, but has an OUTRAGEOUSLY OBVIOUS case of injuries and hitting dry patches all to often ( on one again).

Have to say unimpressed with the club at this deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    I'm more outraged that Antonio Valencia gets paid at all.

No
    Cant believe the tactics Moyes played again today - hoof and hope, no use of RVP, Rooney or Mata. the guy has to go.

can't let the weekend go without it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Cant believe the tactics Moyes played again today - hoof and hope, no use of RVP, Rooney or Mata. the guy has to go.

can't let the weekend go without it.

It would be funny if I wasn't still annoyed how easily he got us booted from the FA Cup :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Felexicon

TheDoc wrote: »
    Read some of the news I missed over the weekend

Rooney turns the screw when the club are at it's weakest to line his pockets again.

Sorry but 300k is madness for a player who when on form is quality, but has an OUTRAGEOUSLY OBVIOUS case of injuries and hitting dry patches all to often ( on one again).

Have to say unimpressed with the club at this deal
    There is no evidence to suggest Rooney is "turning the screw" in this deal (which has yet to be confirmed by the way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Can't we all just get along that our best and most influential player is about to sign a new contract? if the club couldn't afford his wage, he wouldn't be getting it, thats how I see it.

Atleast now we don't need to witness another Rooney saga this summer!

Be remotely positive people. (I know its hard)

No
    there not being a Rooney saga in the summer could be big - Woodward claims the work done to keep rooney in the summer gone hindered their attempts to bring in players.

No
    were United playing a practice\friendly game today?

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    were United playing a practice\friendly game today?

played against hotel staff - Moyes set teh team up to make it as difficult for the hosts as possible, but they kept their shape well and nicked it on the break at the end. Moyes said with a bit of luck we'd have held on for the draw but he'll be working hard to get things right.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    played against hotel staff - Moyes set teh team up to make it as difficult for the hosts as possible, but they kept their shape well and nicked it on the break at the end. Moyes said with a bit of luck we'd have held on for the draw but he'll be working hard to get things right.

I heard that the intense heat made it easier for the locals as they were better acclimatised to the conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    And Kagawa wasn't even in the squad.

• Advertisement

No

what was the real result, the one that matters? Did we score many crosses and byline reachment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭mobydopy

where did you guys watch this match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No

This went well over your head lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No

I was fourth official, Mitch was making cocktails for Buttner and leaking stories to the tabloids after he posted the pics on instagram.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I was fourth official, Mitch was making cocktails for Buttner and leaking stories to the tabloids after he posted the pics on instagram.

f**k you!!!

• Advertisement

No
    f**k you!!!

that type of outburst is exactly why we didn't invite you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'm more outraged that Antonio Valencia gets paid at all.

oh but he was POTY once, etc

that type of outburst is exactly why we didn't invite you.

invite me to what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭dmc17

No
    invite me to what???

The imaginary game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Liverpool fan not trolling
    Is Rooney worth that new contract?
    I remember he had a few very good years but it was some time ago. Don't get me wrong I thought he was awesome but he has been meh the last few years. Sorry if i'm wrong I don't watch a lot of your games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭paulbok

No
    Headshot wrote: »
    This went well over your head lol

Like crosses, 8-23, 29-44 & 51-67

No
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    Liverpool fan not trolling
    Is Rooney worth that new contract?
    I remember he had a few very good years but it was some time ago. Don't get me wrong I thought he was awesome but he has been meh the last few years. Sorry if i'm wrong I don't watch a lot of your games.

Adding him to the list of people that would have needed to have been replaced in the summer would have been stupid.

Adding him to the list of work that needs to be done (effort to keep him) would be stupid too.

Is he worth 300k, nope. Is 50k a week more than he was getting last week worth it to keep our best performer this season and keep one of our best players? Yeah, I'd say so. We could get players that are better than him, maybe, at great transfer cost and wages, and difficulty (without CL next season) so probably no actual saving on the deal, if one could be done.

I do reckon it will seem like a really stupid move in 3 years time when we are paying a 31/32 year old Rooney 300k a week and have no real options in terms of selling him - I don't think Rooney will have a long career, just not shown the attitude to fitness required for it - but for the next two years, i'm happy out.

We're going to need Arsenal to lose 3/4 of the remaining games or Liverpool to lose half to get 4th

We're going to need Arsenal to lose 3/4 of the remaining games or Liverpool to lose half to get 4th

and utd to win all theirs.

Don't rule out Everton or more importantly Spurs who have really put themselves into contention. They (Spurs) have the nicest run-in too imo.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    and utd to win all theirs.

Don't rule out Everton or more importantly Spurs who have really put themselves into contention. They (Spurs) have the nicest run-in too imo.

Nah we wouldn't need to win them all IF one of those two scenarios happened. In Liverpool's case it would be 18 points, I took inevitable dropped points into account for United against City etc. so we would just need to only drop 7 points in the last 12 games.

It's not going to happen, I was just pointing out the reality of the situation.

And that's leaving out Spurs and Everton as well but I don't think they'll have enough to get 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Our CL hopes are over

bye bye

Au Revoir

Abscheid

adios

Slan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any player would be pretty angry about losing 25 percent of their income because of Moyes. It could lead to a lot of bad feeling.

I wonder if the club suspended the clause when SAF retired?

I don't think Rooney will have a long career

I don't think Rooney wants a long career.

No
    Discodog wrote: »
    Any player would be pretty angry about losing 25 percent of their income because of Moyes. It could lead to a lot of bad feeling.

I wonder if the club suspended the clause when SAF retired?

they could perform better themselves too, you know. Whatever about the sh1t tactics, how many players have actually played crap this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

they could perform better themselves too, you know. Whatever about the sh1t tactics, how many players have actually played crap this season?

And how much of that has been down to the management & coaches failing to motivate them.

The problem with a financial penalty is that a player that is playing well, can lose out because others including management perform badly.

Moyes is known for taking the players on "bonding" trips. He used to take the Everton players out to dinner with their wags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Rooney and his agent know that no foreign club would pay him the Messi/Ronaldo level of 300k a week and Utd wouldn't sell him to an English rival so Rooney can and has bent Utd over for whatever he wants. This is the 3rd time he has done it in the past few years. By the time this contract runs into it's latter stages he'll be 32/33, well past his best and still pulling in 300k a week.

If anything what you say would weaken his hand in terms of wage demands, both he and the club would be aware he wont get paid x amount if he goes foreign, particularly given the little interest shown in him during the summer, Chelsea wouldnt need to pay him so much either considering they know they would be his only realistic option, City wouldnt need him, or even if they did want him to **** with United they wouldnt have to pay him such a huge fee.

Anyways, the 300k basic is not something I will believe unless I see it confirmed. The gross figure is almost sure to include image rights, appearance fees etc and maybe even goal/assist or success bonus tbh knowing how the media operate with this stuff!

We may never know anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I can't believe people are still talking about what needs to happen for us to come 4th. Each week the parameters are being desperately redrawn. But it's gone. Just accept it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Honestly think people need to focus more on what Everton and Southampton are doing before they look at Liverpool and Arsenal...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    ThirdMan wrote: »
    I can't believe people are still talking about what needs to happen for us to come 4th. Each week the parameters are being desperately redrawn. But it's gone. Just accept it.

completely agree i felt it was over after the stoke game even at that stage some people probably thought i was very optimistic

• Advertisement

Rooney's had Utd by the balls ever since Fergie gave him a pay rise for demanding to leave the club.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement