Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It must be devastating for the players to see Fergie leave. Clearly he was massive, he was the club. He had total control over everything. He was the inspiration, motivation. He got 110% out of everybody. Now the team is performing on a similar level but without that fear factor, without the same work rate or cohesion. The players look like they are low on confidence. Lots of poor performers out there and the buck has to stop with the manager.

BUT the defence has been a laughing stock. It's just one poor performance after another. Vidic, while remaining solid defensively, looks like a rabbit in headlights with the ball at his feet. Evra has been so poor defensively, Rafael, Smalling and Evans have clearly been not playing well this season. We have no stand out defensive player anymore. I think Vidic gets a lot of unwarranted praise for his never-say-die style but his positioning and play with the ball at his feet has been abysmal.

The midfield is a catastrophe. Cleverley is a Bendtner - a player who thinks he's much better than he is. He is actually a great reader of the game and makes some very important interceptions but what else can he do? Not much really and he's not a player who should be in the starting eleven. Carrick has played poor this year although he has been injured quite a bit. But he's coming along now and his best days are behind him. We need a really strong presence in the middle to overcome the feeble background - the defence. Fletcher has been patchy as expected but he's played very well at times but you have to anticipate that he's not going to ever play at the top again after being out for so long.

What else is wrong? Rooney isn't playing great and i don't think playing behind the striker works for the team. Welbeck hasn't really done much when he had the chance and it looks like Hernandez could be gone in the Summer.

How do we move forward? Integrate a team with Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj, Rooney, van Persie etc all playing there part, obviously not all at the same time. Hopefully Nani can come back? Is fourth place gone? No but Moyes seriously needs to start getting the cogs moving. This team needs addressing in the Summer but Moyes needs to show that he can get the best out of what he has and he certainly hasn't done that. He needs to start taking risks and going for it. He needs to start getting things right and the players need to step up and be counted too. They're all in this together and they need to start making it happen out on that football pitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

No
    Rooneys gonna get 300k a week with new deal ? Surely his best is behind him at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No
    Rooney has averaged over 0.5 league goals per game in 2 out of 10 seasons at United.

RVP has averaged over 0.5 league goals per game in 6 of the last 10 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rooneys gonna get 300k a week with new deal ? Surely his best is behind him at this stage

He's 28!! He's only coming in to his peak years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jesus yeah what are the club thinking, Rooney being 28 his best years are past him

Suarez turning 28 this year so his best years will be past him as well

It's a shame footballers lose it at 28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    He's 28!! He's only coming in to his peak years.

Thank you!!

For the love of christ there is no pleasing people. If Rooney was let run down his contract/sold to Chelsea, people would be sharpening their knives for Moyes and Woodward, the exact same people who said they "didn't push hard enough" for Vidic to stay.

Now that Rooney is about to sign a contract, its too much money and he's past his best.

Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Jesus yeah what are the club thinking, Rooney being 28 his best years are past him

Suarez turning 28 this year so his best years will be past him as well

It's a shame footballers lose it at 28

It's also a shame that every footballer is the same. Er wait....they aren't.

For every Ryan Giggs or Javier Zanetti there is a Dean Ashton or George Best. Extreme examples of the spectrum I grant you, but the point is made. Torres is only 29. Most would agree his best days are behind him.

Rooney's never been prolific, he's never been a physical specimen and he has had motivation issues/wanted out on several occasions.

The statement that "Rooney's best years are behind him" is a bold one and perhaps not one I would make....but it's not outlandish. It makes sense. I don't agree with it but I understand the logic in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Thank you!!

For the love of christ there is no pleasing people. If Rooney was let run down his contract/sold to Chelsea, people would be sharpening their knives for Moyes and Woodward, the exact same people who said they "didn't push hard enough" for Vidic to stay.

Now that Rooney is about to sign a contract, its too much money and he's past his best.

Give me a break.

Is it? Not on my end anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    You think with the money they have they could buy nice shirt

BgoXwuaIQAAl3zb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Giggs is hardcore going hatless there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Buy? that's probably all sponsored clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Just to brighten up the mood a little on this thread...

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNNWBDGCX-U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Kirby wrote: »
    It's also a shame that every footballer is the same. Er wait....they aren't.

For every Ryan Giggs or Javier Zanetti there is a Dean Ashton or George Best. Extreme examples of the spectrum I grant you, but the point is made. Torres is only 29. Most would agree his best days are behind him.

Rooney's never been prolific, he's never been a physical specimen and he has had motivation issues/wanted out on several occasions.

The statement that "Rooney's best years are behind him" is a bold one and perhaps not one I would make....but it's not outlandish. It makes sense. I don't agree with it but I understand the logic in it.

Wait, what are you talking about.

Rooney has scored 150 goals in 298 games for United, alot of those games were not as a striker and you're saying he's not prolific. Rubbish.
    Also he is a "physical specimen" as you put it. He may not be built like Cristiano Ronaldo but who is? His power and strength are there for all to see.

The Torres comparison is so far wide of the mark it's crazy. Torres has had a sustained period of underperforming which Rooney has not shown.

I think we sometimes forget just how good Rooney is in his natural position because he's asked to fill a role ao often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No

ciD6WzQ.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    What a sexy man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just to brighten up the mood a little on this thread...

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNNWBDGCX-U

That may be the worst thing I've seen on youtube...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Our Year wrote: »
    That may be the worst thing I've seen on youtube...

Worse than this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Keno wrote: »

3 goals from 3 crosses

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

3 goals from 3 crosses

Lol

If Berbatov played for us against Fulham last week he'd have scored over 80 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Felexicon wrote: »
    Wait, what are you talking about.

Rooney has scored 150 goals in 298 games for United, alot of those games were not as a striker and you're saying he's not prolific. Rubbish.
    Also he is a "physical specimen" as you put it. He may not be built like Cristiano Ronaldo but who is? His power and strength are there for all to see.

The Torres comparison is so far wide of the mark it's crazy. Torres has had a sustained period of underperforming which Rooney has not shown.

I think we sometimes forget just how good Rooney is in his natural position because he's asked to fill a role ao often.

Rooney has been shown time and time again to be a selfish, hot-headed mediocre passer of the ball. People are making excuses for his performances but a real top class player wouldn't be in 7th place in the league. United fans are notoriously blind to their own players' incompetence: Ferdinand and Evra.

All he does is hide behind the shadow of RVP, and is seriously holdng back some top class talent; If Chicharito was in an England jersey he'd be talked about like the next Pelé.

• Advertisement

No
    Rooney has been shown time and time again to be a selfish, hot-headed mediocre passer of the ball. People are making excuses for his performances but a real top class player wouldn't be in 7th place in the league. United fans are notoriously blind to their own players' incompetence: Ferdinand and Evra.

All he does is hide behind the shadow of RVP, and is seriously holdng back some top class talent; If Chicharito was in an England jersey he'd be talked about like the next Pelé.

Jesus christ. Couldn't be further from the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

There's so much wrong in this post.

I missed you x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No
    Rooney has been our best player this season. I only wish the rest of the team had the same work rate as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

There's so much wrong in this post.

He's a quality player at times, and can change a game when he wants to but being the English media's golden boy for so many years can't hide the complete hole he hides in when a real game comes around: Champions League Final 2011

Even Berba's performances were brushed under the carpet so they could continue the adulation of Rooney. Put it this way if Ibra was English, he would be the "greatest player in the world"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Wayne Rooney is the heart and soul of this United team and it must be number one priority to keep him at the club.Its madness to say he is past his best at 28 years old.He has another good 4/5 years left of top level football which I hope will be as our newly appointed captain from next season on.

I feel the team is carrying deadweight right now in the form of Valencia,Nani,Cleverly,Young,Welbeck these lads are very talented footballers but just dont have that (xfactor) that is needed to be a top level United player.This along with players that now need to be moved on as time has caught up to them Giggs,Fredinand,Carrick,Evra.Thats 8/9 players who need to gradually be replaced.

This season so far has been an absolute disater tbf.No point trying to suger coat it, probably the worst season we have had in over 20 years.Top 4 is now out of reach imo and Europa league place must now be priority.Still in the Champions League of course which we can have a crack at, but I fear the likes of Bayern,Barca,Madrid would be too strong for us right now.

We can put this down as a transition year for us.The positives is we have a world class keeper in De Gea.Jones,Smalling and Rafael are top young players.Juan Mata is a brilliant signing for us.He is a genuine top class footballer.Rooney and Van Persie as we seen last season are our real stars, just hope RVP can stay fit long term.Also I believe Fellaini can be a big player for us.Our future is Adnan Januzaj at only 18, we just need to be ready to shut down Barca and Madrid when they come knocking.

After that we're just short 3/4 top footballers to get back on top where we belong.Manchester United will always attract the best players and Moyes and co need to make sure we sign up the right ones.

No
    He's a quality player at times, and can change a game when he wants to but being the English media's golden boy for so many years can't hide the complete hole he hides in when a real game comes around: Champions League Final 2011

Even Berba's performances were brushed under the carpet so they could continue the adulation of Rooney. Put it this way if Ibra was English, he would be the "greatest player in the world"

Rooney scored in that final.

Felexicon wrote: »

Nobody compared Torres to Rooney....so nothing is "wide of the mark". A poster made the argument that 28 was too young for a player to be past his best. Torres was used as an example that this is an invalid argument and age is not a universal benchmark.

Torres was not being compared to Rooney in any way. You didn't read the post with enough attention or you would have understood that.

You also would have understood that I don't agree with the assessment that he's past his best....so the whole "OMG Wat are you talking about!?!" gist of your post is misplaced. You are disagreeing with the wrong person.

I was merely pointing out that the idea that posters like Courtesy Flush and Mitch Connor brought up claiming that he is past his best or perhaps might not have that long a career that, were points based in logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    United need about 200 million to put our problems right imo...

Defense and midfield are priorities and evra needs to raise game now seeing him signing that contract extension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No

Why so controversial? Group hug?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Kirby wrote: »
    Nobody compared Torres to Rooney....so nothing is "wide of the mark". A poster made the argument that 28 was too young for a player to be past his best. Torres was used as an example that this is an invalid argument and age is not a universal benchmark.

Torres was not being compared to Rooney in any way. You didn't read the post with enough attention or you would have understood that.

You also would have understood that I don't agree with the assessment that he's past his best....so the whole "OMG Wat are you talking about!?!" gist of your post is misplaced. You are disagreeing with the wrong person.

I was merely pointing out that the idea that posters like Courtesy Flush and Mitch Connor brought up claiming that he is past his best or perhaps might not have that long a career that, were points based in logic.

Fair enough.

Do you care to counter anything else from my post.

Well I think peoples notion of "value" is an interesting one. Is he worth 300k a week, he'll have no resale value in his thirties, etc. etc.

The bottom line is that United can afford it and if giving him an extra 50k a week is what it takes to keep him from moving to a team like Chelsea than surely it's worth it. Also, Hernandez is off because of game time, Welbeck isn't good enough, and there are rumours of RvP being unhappy with life under Moyes and wanting off. Apparently his agent met with Wenger about an Arsenal return. The prospect of losing Rooney too would be a disaster.

It's also worth remembering that this doesn't mean he wont be sold....it could be just a mechanism to keep his value high in the same way that Liverpool did with Suarez. A new contract will mean a bigger fee if he leaves. It's worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

No
    Article on the negatives of Rooney's contract

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9169683/F365-Says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Rooney has been our best player this season. I only wish the rest of the team had the same work rate as him.

Personally I would rather he had less work rate and more passes to Robin Van Persie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    If Chicharito was in an England jersey he'd be talked about like the next Pelé.

Its hard to argue with this.... I'm laughing too much :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Article on the negatives of Rooney's contract

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9169683/F365-Says

Very good comment under that article:
    I think the most telling thing is that most of the United fans wanted him to stay and are happy at the prospect of keeping him, whereas fans of our rivals appear to be the least happy about it or at least think it is a bad decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

the money rooney is meant to be getting is sick but how people can question how good he is, is beyond me

The club have denied he signed a new contract right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    the money rooney is meant to be getting is sick but how people can question how good he is, is beyond me

Because concistently over his career he has had periods of the season where he has been rubbish, with the first touch of a wall. Rooney CAN be world class, but he can also be rubbish - that is why people question him.

No
    kryogen wrote: »
    The club have denied he signed a new contract right?

Yep - but most of the press are saying it has been agreed, not signed.

• Advertisement

Yep - but most of the press are saying it has been agreed, not signed.

What would be the delay in everything being agreed, leaked to the press, commented on in the media (specifically denying the rumours, particularly if its all been agreed and just a matter of putting pen to paper), and signed? In your opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Saying "Rooney is the best player this season" is akin to saying he's the nicest piece of poo in the toilet. He's still not been amazing, especially since the new year began, and hasn't (imo) done much to warrant THAT level of wage, especially when it looks like only one other team wants him.

I also simply don't believe we couldn't find an equal but younger and potentially better player for a 70m outlay over 5 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

every player goes through patches when they don't score but rooney is always involved in the game getting assists etc... even luis suarez the "best striker in the world" hasn't scored in 5 games now

No
    kryogen wrote: »
    What would be the delay in everything being agreed, leaked to the press, commented on in the media (specifically denying the rumours, particularly if its all been agreed and just a matter of putting pen to paper), and signed? In your opinion.

could be time needed for lawyers to take a look over the fine print - contract could be agreed in terms of cash, bonus, length etc - and now the lawyers have to ok it. Fairly common for there to be a delay between agreement and signing.

Also, the club could be planning to announce it at a specific time, for some reason - at the same time as a sponsorship announcment or something.

I do believe the deal has been agreed, as to why it isn't official yet I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    every player goes through patches when they don't score but rooney is always involved in the game getting assists etc... even luis suarez the "best striker in the world" hasn't scored in 5 games now

He's still got a load of assists in that period though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Very good comment under that article:

Rather more interesting comment in the article:
    but to use some rather crude maths - say they were to give any replacement a mere four-year, £200,000-a-week deal, that's around £36million saved to put towards the new man. The financial case for this Rooney deal doesn't look quite so good with those sort of figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    I'd be of the opinion that I'd rather keep Rooney and over pay him than sell him to Chelsea or lose him on a free next Summer.

I have no love or hatred for footballers. They are all out to get the best they can for themselves. Whether that be money or medals or whatever. Rooney is an Everton fan so i can't really hold him to the Scholes, Giggs, Neville standard of loyalty really. One thing he does do is give everything he can on the pitch so once that happens I don't care what he gets paid.

Just my opinion. Everyone has one and I don't disagree with others. Well most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

As a fan I'm delighted that Rooney is seemingly on the verge of committing his future to Utd. Despite falling out with the clubs and the fans on a couple of occassions if he does stay until he's 33/34 he will no doubt leave United as a bone fida club legend. He will almost certainly break Charlton's goals record and will have been at the club almost 15 years.

However if I were the one signing off on the deal I would be a bit apprehensive giving the astronomical figures involved. As mentioned already the idea of a possibly declining 31 year old Rooney sitting just halfway through a 300,000 per week contract doesn't sit well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Because concistently over his career he has had periods of the season where he has been rubbish, with the first touch of a wall. Rooney CAN be world class, but he can also be rubbish - that is why people question him.

A bit harsh, he's had periods when he hasn't been banging in goals but would generally contribute.

He's only had two really rubbish periods, last season for various reason and the season where loads of ****e came out about his private life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I wouldn't be surprised to see RVP move on in the summer with Rooney going back up top permanently on the back of this news (if confirmed).

It sounds like the kind of contract for a number one goalscoring centre forward rather than a 'do a job there' or 'fit him in wherever' player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement