Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

rooney is a world class player, just not in the bracket of Ronaldo messi, then again no one is but easily in the bracket just underneath that. Better for him to sign a contract at utd then go to Chelsea for free, scoring 25 goals and winning a league for them

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

No
    Rooney has shown a deterioration in his physical condition over the last few years, i hope that a lot of us are proved wrong.
    But i honestly dont think Rooney will be half the player "he is now" once he hits 30. He has shown no desire in the past
    to look after his body and will have no incentive to try once he has now got his long term mega bucks deal. I fear this
    will be just another mistake in an error ridden campaign. 5 1/2 years OMG!!!!

He is already slow enough - 70 million to keep Rooney

Money you could spend on 24yr od Marco Reus who can play in more positions or taking rooney into his mid 30's

(Adnan's the future not Rooney!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    LividAccomplishedIvorybackedwoodswallow.gif

Look at his right foot.

Look at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Rooney has shown a deterioration in his physical condition over the last few years
    He has shown no desire in the past
    Kirby wrote: »
    Rooney's never been prolific, he's never been a physical specimen
    Rooney has been shown time and time again to be a selfish, hot-headed mediocre passer of the ball.

Sometimes I wonder if people watch the same game I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

J. Marston wrote: »
    LividAccomplishedIvorybackedwoodswallow.gif

Look at his right foot.

Look at it!

He glides on it.

That is what the Matador can do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    He glides on it.

That is what the Matador can do.

But can he cross, cross, cross...

No
    v3ttel wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if people watch the same game I do.

1. If you look at the last 2 seasons, Rooney has had more muscular injuries than ever before and he is not the type of player who maintains his fitness when injured.

2. If you choose to quote, i think its a bit disingenuous to quote half my sentence - i said that he has shown no great desire to look after his body. This may be a shock to you but i believe most Man Utd fans believe this.

3. You also mocked when another poster said that he wasnt a great physical specimen, the same Wayne Rooney who has had his career dogged with accusations of being over weight. Whose very manager had a dig because of his lack of fitness, just because he has being heralding as a returning war hero because it was his first pre season he didn't come in overweight.

Sometimes i wonder if people actually read the posts they choose to criticize

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    Rooney is a fantastic player and keeping him at the club is good business. If the team are to win titles again he is the type of player we need to keep around as well as bringing in new talent.

But as an aside, does anyone else feel that Rooney never developed into the player he could have been? He became great but when he was younger it looked like he had the potential to be even better than he is now.

Man Utd Team to line up from next season.......... Discuss

De gea

Rafael Mangala Evans Shaw

Vidal Reus

Mata Rooney Januzaj

Costa

Subs:
    Lindegaard
    Smalling
    Fellaini
    Valencia
    Carrick
    Welbeck
    Powell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No
    bangkok wrote: »

De gea

Vidal Reus

Mata Rooney Januzaj

Costa

Subs:
    Lindegaard
    Smalling
    Fellaini
    Valencia
    Carrick
    Welbeck
    Powell

Yep you've never watched Reus play at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Reus in cm?

yea more than capable of linking up play between defence and attack, a sort of paul scholes when he was 25, will be a very dynamic and new man utd team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I know this is a bit off topic, but looking at Liverpool's formation in the two games against Arsenal, and their game against Fulham, I'm beginning to wonder why we can't line up like that.

Play with 3 across the middle, 2 as holding players, one as an attacking player, and then 3 along the front.

Mata
    Carrick
    Fletcher

Januazi
    RvP
    Rooney

Why are we continuing to play with wingers when none of them can cross the ball. You could easily swap Kag, Nani, Young, Fellaini, Clev, Giggs into that team, rather than playing the standard 4-4-2 that any team with an organised defense can easily defend against.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

The fact that it would cost around £150 million to assemble, and the introduction of 5 new first team players, I don't think it would be a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    yea more than capable of linking up play between defence and attack, a sort of paul scholes when he was 25, will be a very dynamic and new man utd team
    are you sure you are not thinking of Kroos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Macca07 wrote: »
    The fact that it would cost around £150 million to assemble, and the introduction of 5 new first team players, I don't think it would be a great idea.

It worked out ok for AVB doing it at Spurs..................oh wait:pac:

well all the talk is moyes has 200m to spend on new players, he already spent 37 on mata, shaw 20-25, mangala 25-30, vidal, swap deal with nani + 15-20m, reus swap deal with kagawa + 15-20 costa 25-30m....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No

If we don't do something like that (your post, in terms of cash and numbers, not his) then we are going to be in trouble next season again.

We will need at least 3 new first team players, at least. LB, CB, CM - possibly more depending on sales or progression.

just look at Philip lahm with Bayern he is playing midfield now and doing class, no reason why reus cant do the same as he is technically very good and can break from midfield. will be a huge step up from cleverly or fletcher any day of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    well all the talk is moyes has 200m to spend on new players, he already spent 37 on mata, shaw 20-25, mangala 25-30, vidal, swap deal with nani + 15-20m, reus swap deal with kagawa + 15-20 costa 25-30m....

Football Manager.

Not even once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

De gea

Vidal Reus

Mata Rooney Januzaj

Costa

Subs:
    Lindegaard
    Smalling
    Fellaini
    Valencia
    Carrick
    Welbeck
    Powell

I'll have some of what your having please....
    Mangala going to Citeh
    Shaw going to Chelsea
    Vidal going to Real
    Reus staying at Dortmund
    Costa...not over RVP

Your reckon we'll get all of them for £40 a packet of crisps and a slab of beer???

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

If we are signing a number of first team players, i think they will be done early summer because you dont want to get to August & bring in 5 or 6 players. There going to need some form of pre season after the World Cup to gel and to get to know each other. I would say some deals have already been agreed in principal

Where's this 200m figure coming from..Source or GTFO...
    As for the proposed swap, your 10m short on each one

Might work in football manager if you cheated and managed all the clubs too...
    But never going to work in reality!!

rvp over costa anyday but rvp might be making a return to arsenal in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This looks a bit too homoerotic.

http://instagram.com/p/kg4rMsHMXa/

well man city signed in the summer, fernandinho, navas, negrado, jovetic and demanchils, why cant utd go out and buy 3 or 4 world class players this summer as well?? and believe me they will, this is not football manager but real life, it will happen......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Yeah, just go ahead and admit it, you have no idea how Reus plays.

Yeah, just go ahead and admit it, you have no idea how Reus plays.

seen him loads of times, he will have to adapt to a new position if he joins UTD just like mata will not be playing the no10 role at utd if rooney plays.

seen him loads of times, he will have to adapt to a new position if he joins UTD just like mata will not be playing the no10 role at utd if rooney plays.

Maybe throw him in at left back instead? Marco Reus has never and should never be played in central midfield. If you had said Toni Kroos then I could have let it slide but not with Reus. What about playing Vidal(Nani and 15m hahahaha) at centre half in this new, exciting Manchester United?

Maybe throw him in at left back instead? Marco Reus has never and should never be played in central midfield. If you had said Toni Kroos then I could have let it slide but not with Reus. What about playing Vidal(Nani and 15m hahahaha) at centre half in this new, exciting Manchester United?

where would you play reus then? reus is versatile enough to play anywhere in midfield

• Advertisement

where would you play reus then? reus is versatile enough to play anywhere in midfield

On the left wing, where he should always play. Just admit it, you've never seen him play and have just mentioned him because you've seen his name brought up elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Signing Reus to play him in central midfield would be as ridiculous as signing Mata to play him on the wing.

Signing Reus to play him in central midfield would be as ridiculous as signing Mata to play him on the wing.

you mean mata is not a winger????

well that explains his inability to cross a ball 50 times a match!!!

I watch a lot of German football aswell as the German teams in the CL and I can not remember one instance where he played in central midfield.

I would much rather see reus play as an attacking midfielder for man utd than Jones, cleverly, fletcher anyday and he is more than capable of playing as a midfielder for utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No

I wouldn't compare the two at all, they're apples and oranges. Mata has played on the wing loads of times in his career and has excelled as a wide playmaker a la Silva.

Reus has never played as a central midfielder to the best of my knowledge.

I watch a lot of German football aswell as the German teams in the CL and I can not remember one instance where he played in central midfield.

no he normally plays in an attacking front 3 from right left(normally) or central but no reason why he cannot play from a deeper role and attack from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

No

wtf :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Reus is a wide player, with tendancies to drift inside. No way you could play him in CM..

That is Kroos territory.

Strootman watch : Was wonderful again for Roma over the weekend, got to catch the math. I'm going to stop watching them now because it makes me ill seeing him play, in a Roma shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

TheDoc wrote: »
    Reus is a wide player, with tendancies to drift inside. No way you could play him in CM..

That is Kroos territory.

Strootman watch : Was wonderful again for Roma over the weekend, got to catch the math. I'm going to stop watching them now because it makes me ill seeing him play, in a Roma shirt.

Watched the same game. Thought he was okay but nothing special. I've made a point of seeing him a few times now and I don't see what the fuss is about. He is like a younger Carrick but not much more of a step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    no he normally plays in an attacking front 3 from right left(normally) or central but no reason why he cannot play from a deeper role and attack from there
    I'm not sure he has the defensive qualities or positional discipline to ever play as a deep CM. It really wouldn't make much sense to sign him and play him there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    Ok so fifa 14 i did an experiment last night i sold rooney to chelsea and signed mata etc and strengthened midfield.. so i played out the next united chelsea game as a sim...

Soo score finished 3-2 to chelsea and who scored a hat trick? Yes you guessed it rooney...

It has been said here if he was at chelsea with hazard willian etc around him he would score 35 goals in a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So you want to spend 40 million on a world class attacking midfielder to throw him into a position he never played before. You actually wouldn't see that on Football Manager. If you want to spend a fortune on a cm signing actually spend it on somebody who plays in that position.

No
    Pogba vidal and gundogan are 3 names that could vastly improve our fortunes... whilst reuss is a wonderful player he is not really what we need

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    Reus is a wonderful, wonderful player. He would be best served playing on the left. Something like

Mata----Rooney
    Reus
    RVP

With Nani, Januzaj, Kagawa and even Young able to swap into those positions. To play Reus in CM would be a ridiculous waste of money and his talent.

We would still need a proper CM though. Kroos, Vidal, Gundogan...somebody in that mould.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Ok so fifa 14 i did an experiment last night i sold rooney to chelsea and signed mata etc and strengthened midfield.. so i played out the next united chelsea game as a sim...

Soo score finished 3-2 to chelsea and who scored a hat trick? Yes you guessed it rooney...

It has been said here if he was at chelsea with hazard willian etc around him he would score 35 goals in a season

maybe thats why he is going to get 300k a week. moyes is a genius:D

Did you take that straight from Wikipedia or just word it differently yourself? I like this thread, it's a good laugh :)

Reus is a winger, at a push he could play behind a striker. But he has never, ever played in central midfield.

No
    KH25 wrote: »
    Reus is a wonderful, wonderful player. He would be best served playing on the left. Something like

Mata----Rooney
    Reus
    RVP

With Nani, Januzaj, Kagawa and even Young able to swap into those positions. To play Reus in CM would be a ridiculous waste of money and his talent.

We would still need a proper CM though. Kroos, Vidal, Gundogan...somebody in that mould.

We need a ****ing transplant to take likes of young val evra out of the team and midfield has to be vidal he is defo best in world right now in midfield department

No
    looking at all the names getting quoted - this is gonna be a dark depressing place come August 31st

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

We need a ****ing transplant to take likes of young val evra out of the team and midfield has to be vidal he is defo best in world right now in midfield department

Vidals a beast and a very popular one at that.

There is going to be very strong competition for his signature with Madrid the latest to sound out their interest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement