Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Danger781 wrote: »

I like Klopp :)

Could we get Klopp?

+ We could pay him loads.
    + We could give him loads to spend (apparently...).
    + There are some quality players here that he might like to work with (If we can keep them).
    + He might be tired of pointlessly fighting Bayern and losing players to them.
    + Fixing United might be a challenge that appeals to him (big might admittedly).

- We're shít.
    - Ferguson and Charlton stubbornly sticking by Moyes.
    - Tom Cleverley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭bassy

No
    and there was mourhino tonite giving city a lesson in there own back yard,oh to think he wanted the united job and fergie chose the yoda one,mind boggling stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

There are at least ten errors in the post above. Can you spot them all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

J. Marston wrote: »
    Could we get Klopp?

+ We could pay him loads.
    + We could give him loads to spend (apparently...).
    + There are some quality players here that he might like to work with (If we can keep them).
    + He might be tired of pointlessly fighting Bayern and losing players to them.
    + Fixing United might be a challenge that appeals to him (big might admittedly).

- We're shít.
    - Ferguson and Charlton stubbornly sticking by Moyes.
    - Tom Cleverley.
    Dortmund haven't exactly set the world alight this season. They got very lucky last season in the CL too. He is a talented manager but it took time to buold the Dortmund team, and ok he was up against it but I have faith that Moyes will show some sort of tactical plan soon. He has the players and is looking at the right ones but it's almost like Fergie is still picking the teams the way he's going on. I feel right now he's working off bad information whether from Fergie or the coaches, his team selections are too bad to be solely attributed to him. By now I would have expected to have seen some improvement on that front but Fergie was similarly stubborn despite the turgid performances last season and the team were able to grind out results. Moyes was probably thinking they would eventually step up for him but it hasn't happened.

I still hold hope the team will give the CL a good go after a rise in form over the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

bassy wrote: »
    And there was Mourinho tonight giving City a lesson in their own back yard.Oh to think he wanted the United job and Fergie chose the Yoda one.Mind boggling stuff.
    There are at least ten errors in the post above. Can you spot them all?

Bit childish but good fun.

Think I got 13 there. What do I win?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Moyes team selections are entirely down to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    Ferguson's ego brought moyes to the club and it's his ego that will ensure he's here for a few years to come.

The problem with some man utd fans is that they think Ferguson everything ferguson does is right. Just because he was our most successful manager ever doesn't mean that he wasn't still human and vulnerable to the same imperfections of every other human.

Just read his book to see an incredible amount of flaws. Read other people's words about him to discover even more.

Hiring a protege to manage the biggest club in the world was pure egotistical self indulgence...and look at what it's doing to us.

Jose wanted the job but we wouldn't give it to him for fear that he'd think he was bigger than the club itself. Sure we would have only been placing one ego with another. And ironically, a big ego was exactly what we needed, not a shrinking violet who doesn't even think he's up to the job himself (10/10 for his level of self awareness)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Ferguson's ego brought moyes to the club and it's his ego that will ensure he's here for a few years to come.

The problem with some man utd fans is that they think Ferguson everything ferguson does is right. Just because he was our most successful manager ever doesn't mean that he wasn't still human and vulnerable to the same imperfections of every other human.

Just read his book to see an incredible amount of flaws. Read other people's words about him to discover even more.

Hiring a protege to manage the biggest club in the world was pure egotistical self indulgence...and look at what it's doing to us.

Jose wanted the job but we wouldn't give it to him for fear that he'd think he was bigger than the club itself. Sure we would have only been placing one ego with another. And ironically, a big ego was exactly what we needed, not a shrinking violet who doesn't even think he's up to the job himself (10/10 for his level of self awareness)

Jose did not want the job.

Agree regarding Ferguson. I'm certain he cares more for his legacy than anything that happens at United when he is not in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm certain he cares more for his legacy than anything that happens at United when he is not in charge.

Nonsense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    So ye are saying that Ferguson purposely chose a manager who he knew would fail to protect his legacy at the club?

That is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bassy wrote: »
    and there was mourhino tonite giving city a lesson in there own back yard,oh to think he wanted the united job and fergie chose the yoda one,mind boggling stuff.

I have to say that this " we could have picked Mourinho" thing is getting tiresome and I thought the media were clowns about it but now our fans are succumbing to it as well.

Let's do a very quick comparison.

Overseeing football direction and developement within an entire football club

Moyes
    Ten years working with Everton , throughout the entire club organising, managing and influencing youth developement, facilities, administration, tactics and training.
    In short ensured what he was working with in the first team, trickled it's way down to the under age teams so they could be experienced in the requirements once stepped up into the first team

Mourinho
    No evidence or examples during his spells with Chelsea, Inter or Madrid. Frequently criticsed off record by coaches at Inter and Madrid for taking little interest in the youth work.
    Has enver provided a plan from the top, to trickle down to the rest of the club in order to print a "philosophy" (hate that word) onto everyone. Focuses soley on the first team and first team only

Developing youth/young players

Moyes
    Extensive experience and examples of taking young, vibrant raw talent, and integrating them into first team football. Rooney, Barkley, Lescott, Rodwell,
    Coleman. At present Janners. Knows how to manage the players in terms of exposure and when they are ready.

Mourinho
    No examples of success but certain examples of failure. Relies on youth coaches to have a player prepared to enter into the first team and provides little in the way of managing a young player to integrate into the first team.

Ability to plan long term

Moyes
    Ten year tenure at Everton provided him with ability to lay pathways for young players to emerge and intergrate into the first team, along with identifying talent that had great potential to strengthen the team over a long period. Confidence in ability to coach and improve that/those players

Mourinho
    No examples of long term stays at clubs. Focus very much on the short term. Operates with extremely high budgets to buy finished articles or "household name" players who are attracting attention of top clubs.

I'm just getting a bit sick of this "We could have had Mourinho" stuff. I don't know if we could or would. But when you get Mourinho you are guaranteed a numbr of things.

Disregard for your youth system.
    Massive transfer budgets required
    Most likely contraversy and at some point embarrassment
    Short term planning

The one thing missing there, is success. When you employ Mourinho, you are most likely going to be succesfull. But the point being, that when he leaves, and history pretty much dictates that he WILL leave in a somewhat relatively short period, your football club will struggle afterwards.
    When Mourinho leaves you are most often then not left with no efficently operating youth system with players ready to use, you have ageing deadwood who were bought with a short term objective, sucking wages and requiring to move outbound, and players with a love affinity with him that struggle to adapt afterwards.

I'm sure when it came to evaluating what was best for the club, the decision was taken that Moyes ticked more boxes for what the club wanted.

If I am 100% honest, and you can go back and find my posts from the summer where I said it, while I'd have welcomed Mourinho, I had MASSIVE reservations about what would happen after he has left. Maybe it would be the one place where he would stay, and somewhat see it as a challenege to folow in the footsteps of who he calls "Boss" and setup his own legacy. But I don't believe that fully.

If I'm really honest, I see Mourinho at Chelsea for about three years, and after landing most likely another title, and imo a Champions league, I feel he will be off again, foraying into international management.

Too much knee jerk reaction to whats happening this season, and I can't keep stating my disappointment at the reaction we are having. Moyes isn't a bad coach, he isn't a bad manager , and he is obviously perplexed at what he now sees as the serious deficencies in his squad.
    My major beef this season hasn't been a growing anger or frustration at Moyes, it's being a growing anger and frustration at the club in general and the previous regime. We didn't win last year because we were amazing, we won because our rivals were piss poor. Moyes should have been giving EVERY opportunity to address the issues he identified when he entered, to be given the best opportunity this season to compete. And I don't think that has happened.

Look we ALL knew CM needed to be addressed ASAP. But we witnessed early on from rumours and the likes in the summer window, that Moyes was after a CB and a LB. I'll 100% admit that I was somewhat unsure of why this was required.

Then you see the absolute STATE of Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra, the what at present looks the unsuitability of Buttner, the lack of CB experience of Jones and Smalling. And I somewhat appreciate that pretty early into the job, Moyes identified pretty quickly areas of the squad that needed addressing, that have come to absolutely haunt us.
    That actually provides me with good hope and optimism as odd as it sounds. We have a guy who really doesn't and shouldn't at this stage hold nostalgic value or loyalty to the squad. It's at that point where it's not really "his players". And the players arn't really doing him justice.

I'm looking forward to this campaign ending, fingers crossed for us to get 4th (which I think we will) and then having a change of playing staff during the summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    So ye are saying that Ferguson purposely chose a manager who he knew would fail to protect his legacy at the club?

Where did he say that? :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    Where did he say that? :S

It is implied in his post

No
    I do think there was an aspect of protecting his legacy; Moyes was chosen to be a manager in the same vein as Fergie with the same philosophies, same tactics and same ideologies. There definitely was an air of not wanting a new manager to come in and start from scratch. Moyes was chosen because he was as close to Fergie as we could get. That's nowhere near the same as saying he chose someone who was set up to fail....

I disagree with something Dicky said though; namely...
    The problem with some man utd fans is that they think Ferguson everything ferguson does is right.

I disagree because I find that generally, the same people who defend Moyes to the death are the same ones who put a lot of the blame of our current woes on either Fergie ("He left us in this mess") or on the players (who Fergie bought).

If anything, I find it puzzling how many people seem content to "get behind our new manager" by continually moaning and blaming everything on our old manager of 25 years. It amazes me how many I feel are willing to throw Fergie under the bus in support of a manager who isn't even with us a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Is it safe in here yet?

Having thought about Saturday...I really liked how we were playing up until their flukey goal and the 2 injuries in that short space of time.
    It was about as strong a team as we've put out, with the big 3 up the pitch and Carrick backing them up and I think it's reason for optimism as to what might be possible going into the run in.

I disagree because I find that generally, the same people who defend Moyes to the death are the same ones who put a lot of the blame of our current woes on either Fergie ("He left us in this mess") or on the players (who Fergie bought).

If anything, I find it puzzling how many people seem content to "get behind our new manager" by continually moaning and blaming everything on our old manager of 25 years. It amazes me how many I feel are willing to throw Fergie under the bus in support of a manager who isn't even with us a year...

That's going from one extreme to another. There is middle ground, I've had plenty of issues/critism of Ferguson during his tenure and during our success. As I'm sure alot of people had.

He is not and was not infallable, he made mistakes and he made massive errors that I've been critical off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

No
    Not sure if Moyes is up to the job, but one thing for sure he an unlucky manager, everything he is doing is turning to ****e, taking in all the injuries, last Saturday was probably the worst day to play Stoke. Hopefully his luck will turn round, so maybe he will win the Champions League on penalties this year.
    Fergie had serious luck at crucial times in his career, the Robbins back heel that saved his job in 1990, Bruce's late goal to beat Sheff Wed, the last minute miracle against Bayern, Terry's slip in Russia.
    But then again Fergie probably had a lot of bad luck when he started and would definitely not have lasted in the modern era, but wasn't lampooned as much then as Moyes is now due to social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

ericzeking wrote: »
    Is it safe in here yet?

Having thought about Saturday...I really liked how we were playing up until their flukey goal and the 2 injuries in that short space of time.
    It was about as strong a team as we've put out, with the big 3 up the pitch and Carrick backing them up and I think it's reason for optimism as to what might be possible going into the run in.

yeah i was feeling the same. they just couldnt seem to find that killer ball up front to lead to proper chances but stoke were barely in the game up until that free then they seemed to just kinda fall apart.

hopefully evans is not out for long and vidic comes back in to sure up the back as much as possible and fellaini comes in like the player most expected him to be and that the 3 lads dont take too long to gel together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    The one thing missing there, is success. When you employ Mourinho, you are most likely going to be succesfull. But the point being, that when he leaves, and history pretty much dictates that he WILL leave in a somewhat relatively short period, your football club will struggle afterwards.

You have kinda missed the point about why so many wanted Mourinho though.

Its pointless worrying that the football club will struggle afterwards, the football club is struggling now, and that was always going to be the case when trying to replace a manager like Ferguson. There are very few managers in world football able to replace Fergie without a massive downshift in fortunes.

People who wanted Mourinho brought in knew full well that he would probably not stay long term, that his focus would probably be on short term success, and we would have been happy with that for one important reason. That three year period of Mourinho doing his short term thing would have eased the transition from Fergies United to the post- Ferguson era. Mourinho is a large enough character that he would have swept the club under his wing for a few years, and when he did leave the next manager is no longer replacing Alex Ferguson the legend, he is not the chosen one, he is just another manager allowed to get on with the job.

You talk about youth development and all that, but we already know all that, and we still feel Mourinho would have been the right choice.

If Fergie leaving is like quitting cigarettes, then getting Moyes was like going cold turkey. Hiring Mourinho for a few years would have been the nicotine patch, he would have made it a smoother process!.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Not sure if Moyes is up to the job, but one thing for sure he an unlucky manager, everything he is doing is turning to ****e, taking in all the injuries, last Saturday was probably the worst day to play Stoke. Hopefully his luck will turn round, so maybe he will win the Champions League on penalties this year.
    Fergie had serious luck at crucial times in his career, the Robbins back heel that saved his job in 1990, Bruce's late goal to beat Sheff Wed, the last minute miracle against Bayern, Terry's slip in Russia.
    But then again Fergie probably had a lot of bad luck when he started and would definitely not have lasted in the modern era, but wasn't lampooned as much then as Moyes is now due to social media.

Good points....Robins famous goal was a header though after a sensational pass from current bad guy extrordinaire Mark Hughes....and to add to that Forest had a goal disallowed for God knows what in the dying minutes...Fergie was as lucky a manager as there has ever been....you could add the usuals cliches to that though...'you make your own luck' and 'better to be lucky than good'

You have kinda missed the point about why so many wanted Mourinho though.

Its pointless worrying that the football club will struggle afterwards, the football club is struggling now, and that was always going to be the case when trying to replace a manager like Ferguson. There are very few managers in world football able to replace Fergie without a massive downshift in fortunes.

People who wanted Mourinho brought in knew full well that he would probably not stay long term, that his focus would probably be on short term success, and we would have been happy with that for one important reason. That three year period of Mourinho doing his short term thing would have eased the transition from Fergies United to the post- Ferguson era. Mourinho is a large enough character that he would have swept the club under his wing for a few years, and when he did leave the next manager is no longer replacing Alex Ferguson the legend, he is not the chosen one, he is just another manager allowed to get on with the job.

You talk about youth development and all that, but we already know all that, and we still feel Mourinho would have been the right choice.

If Fergie leaving is like quitting cigarettes, then getting Moyes was like going cold turkey. Hiring Mourinho for a few years would have been the nicotine patch, he would have made it a smoother process!.

Nice post, and I see your points and in fairness I understood them previously.

My post had elements to address that. If Mourinho acquired success during even a short period, it would still leave major problems to address afterwards.

The connections he makes with players, typically ageing squads and in most cases, clubs fall into disarray afterwards. Madrid are in a somewhat different situation in that they got in a decent manager, and they can provide the same transfer budgets year in year out, so issues can be quickly addressed.

a stumbling bumbling Barca side this year that itself is having hangover off success, yet Madrid can't capitalise.

I don't think their is a point in putting off the inevitable. Mourinho would have been a quickfix for 2-3 seasons before heading off leaving in fairness the same if not more issues to address.

My point being that post either manager, it would require ATLEAST a season to get things sorted, potentially more if you look back at Porto, Chelsea and Inter, and potentially Madrid.

i would defend moyes but not put everything on fergie. there has been a whole host of reasons for our decline this season.
    • injuries to players who were key last year e.g. rvp and carrick
    • the gaping hole in the middle that has been there for years which is the only thing i would put as much on fergie as moyes
    • some key players for the last few years seeming to take the foot off the gas or are just getting on i.e. vidic, rio, evra etc
    • some dead weight that should have never been bought or should have been shipped out for a while e.g. young, valencia, anderson, (IMO) Welbeck and cleverley
    • just not getting the decisions we used to maybe cause the officals feared fergie more

while i would not for one minute say moyes doesnt have blame to take some of that has been out of his control and would likely have caused issues for most managers coming in taking over. i have not been happy with this season by a long shot but it may take getting rid of the dead wood and the players who seem to have lost interest with fergie gone and him getting in his own players before its fully turned around which i would hope will happen in the summer.

i'm afraid the lads who want him out are just gonna have to accept he is here now and likely will be for a while unless the rest of the season is a complete and other disaster even more so than the start of the season. complain about him all you want but i cant see the board sacking him this season and only could see it next season if it was even worse than this one. hopefully the things that are out of his control i.e. injuries and officials decisions start turning around for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Express is saying that 10 players could be gone in the Summer as Moyes rebuilds the team,if this goes as planned and we see a new squad of hungry players and decent football then I'll give credit where credit is due and this season can be written off as a blip.
    However if we start the new season with the same excuses and lack of activity in the transfer window to address the massive problems in midfield and defence then I will regard it as ineptitude of the highest order.
    In fairness,Fergie left a team despite having walked the league that was in serious need of an overhaul,Moyes has identified this and today there's reports we've been watching Carvahlo again.It's all well & good watching all these players but come the Summer we'd better see some of them signing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

No
    zerks wrote: »
    The Express is saying that 10 players could be gone in the Summer as Moyes rebuilds the team,if this goes as planned and we see a new squad of hungry players and decent football then I'll give credit where credit is due and this season can be written off as a blip.
    However if we start the new season with the same excuses and lack of activity in the transfer window to address the massive problems in midfield and defence then I will regard it as ineptitude of the highest order.
    In fairness,Fergie left a team despite having walked the league that was in serious need of an overhaul,Moyes has identified this and today there's reports we've been watching Carvahlo again.It's all well & good watching all these players but come the Summer we'd better see some of them signing for us.

if he makes wholesale changes in the summer they will take a year or more to settle into a team.
    So by that logic we are expecting about 3 years of moyes minimum.

i wonder if he can get his new players to play with a shred of intention or design or he will continue to orchestrate a side that is utterly devoid of creativity or style.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No

Has the makings of the most interesting summer in a long long time.

Twitter will blow up.

• Advertisement

No
    Leftist wrote: »
    i wonder if he can get his new players to play with a shred of intention or design or he will continue to orchestrate a side that is utterly devoid of creativity or style.

Thats my worry; given the "style" he seems to have been intent on for the last 6 months, I genuinely worry about the type of players he might want to use to "rebuild" the team...

No
    i am surprised by how easily some people are distracted by signings. it's like a generation of people grown up on championship manager and now they almost prioritise that over any other progress that the club could make.

could you honestly expect moyes to make a real success from any new signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Next pre-season will be in the U.S. Should all the stars align, I might be able to make one fixture over there.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Next pre-season will be in the U.S. Should all the stars align, I might be able to make one fixture over there.

Unless we end up playing in the Europa League qualifiers:(

No

should be a belter what with the world cup being a few weeks earlier.

giggs, rio and the youth squad tearing it up. cannot wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Unless we end up playing in the Europa League qualifiers:(

When would they take place?

There's been talks that if we end up playing in a qualifier it'll clash with the USA tour.
    AFAIK Liverpool played one in July a couple of seasons ago.We don't want to be in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

No

In 2013 the first leg of the final qualifying round was on August 1, with the play-offs later on in that month.

Would expect something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No

Where did you read that? You're really not allowed to get angry about things that were never said.

And this is Deja Vu because I've had to explain this before to people on this forum.

He picked a man that he felt was right for the job. He had been a protege for some time (and him being scottish was also a big factor) and those things clouded his judgement imo. There should have been more people involved in the hiring process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    There's a lot of pressure on Moyes for the Fulham game I think. A loss there with Arsenal the week after could see Moyes head roll. I don't think his job is as secure as some may think.

Despite a long contract the money lost by sacking him is a pittance compared to player transfers and salaries or the loss of a champions league position. Does he deserve the sack? Debatable.

On one hand I'd like to see what he can do when he builds his own team but on the other I fear that he's not good enough and would leave us in a worse situation than we are already. Mourinho would not have us in the position we are in.

There are big weakness in the team but good managers can overcome this. There is also massive strength up front. Moyes has not been able to get any sort of cohesion or instill any sort of team mentality and has not got the best out of any players in the squad except for maybe Rooney and Januzaj. Most have regressed terribly.

Watching Mourinho last night it is obvious to see the differences in the managers. The belief and work Mourinho gets out of his teams is amazing and he's always fighting tooth and nail for every decision and making sure all of his players keep the pace up for the full 90 minutes (Remind you of anyone?). City have the better team and Chelsea won away from home.

Sure Mourinho had a better team than us from the get go but he's turned it into his own team again in the space of 6 months with his signings, tactics and development of players already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

No
    magnumbud wrote: »
    i would defend moyes but not put everything on fergie. there has been a whole host of reasons for our decline this season.
    • the gaping hole in the middle that has been there for years which is the only thing i would put as much on fergie as moyes

Fergie should have bought a CM, but he won the league so obviously could do without.

Moyes has now seen 2 transfer windows pass, and many top midfielders move to other clubs.
    Fergie is gone, it's up to Moyes to do something about this now.

For the Fulham game I'd like to see Fletcher start,failing that why not try Kagawa sitting just ahead of Carrick.Can't be any worse than Clev playing there.At least he moves and knows how to use the ball.We had Scholes in there and he was hardly the best at tackling.
    We are sorely missing that link man from the defence to attack so constantly the diagonal long ball becomes the norm,we all know how that's been working out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    For the Fulham game I'd like to see Fletcher start,failing that why not try Kagawa sitting just ahead of Carrick.Can't be any worse than Clev playing there.At least he moves and knows how to use the ball.We had Scholes in there and he was hardly the best at tackling.
    We are sorely missing that link man from the defence to attack so constantly the diagonal long ball becomes the norm,we all know how that's been working out.

For Fulham....

Play Fletcher and Carrick or Carrick and Jones in midfield. Tell them to sit and protect.

Play Mata, Rooney and Januzaj off RVP, tell them to do whatever the feck they want to do.

Tell Raf and Evra to provide the width.

Tell the players 'getting to the byline' won't be a indicator of a good performance.

Watching United under Moyes is like watching Ireland under Trap. Pathetic management and player utilization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Seems very likely that Evra will be leaving at the end of the season and another left back coming in to replace him. However, we'd still need cover for both sides what with Fabio gone and Buttner not good enough.

What would people think of Santon from Newcastle? I'd say 10-12 million could get him. Young, solid, experience in the Premier League and can cover both sides. Would stop Smalling and Jones being shunted out to the right anyway.

No

Put Mata there instead of Kagawa. He could easily centrally the way Scholes did.
    Seems very likely that Evra will be leaving at the end of the season and another left back coming in to replace him. However, we'd still need cover for both sides what with Fabio gone and Buttner not good enough.

What would people think of Santon from Newcastle? I'd say 10-12 million could get him. Young, solid, experience in the Premier League and can cover both sides. Would stop Smalling and Jones being shunted out to the right anyway.

I'd rather see Coleman.

• Advertisement

No
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Put Mata there instead of Kagawa. He could easily centrally the way Scholes did.

or just stop playing 44fuking2.

If we don't have midfielders to boss a game and create - don't play a formation that requires it of them.

If our midfielder are limited, then play a formation where their requirements are limited.

No
    I'd rather see Coleman.

Doesn't play left back - which is a main point of the post. Santon would cover both sides.

Fergie should have bought a CM, but he won the league so obviously could do without.

Moyes has now seen 2 transfer windows pass, and many top midfielders move to other clubs.

He bought Fellaini, even if he may have slightly overpaid. During the summer the board was in main pretty happy we signed him.

One of the best midfielders in the league the last few seasons.

He seems to have been written off by many, for whom it suits them to write him off. Come in here after a loss or poor result and pronounce how useless Moyes and the midfield are and want him sacked, yet his midfield signing has been injured for half the games so far and surely was due a bedding in period.

I'm looking forward to seeing him throw his weight around in midfield in the coming games he can be a big player for us.

No

If we don't have midfielders to boss a game and create - don't play a formation that requires it of them.

If our midfielder are limited, then play a formation where their requirements are limited.

What formation would that be? You need solid all round midfielders no matter what formation you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No
    Average-Ro wrote: »

Would be great to have an option like that,this playing fella's out of position has to be kicked to touch next season.

midfield was an issue for a a number of years not just recently fellaini was signed and has been injured which could not have been anticipated. i'm not saying another should not have been signed but him and carrick both being injured for majority of the early parts of the season has not helped matters.

fergie also won the league with a mantra of you score and we will just score more last year. this has not worked this season mainly for the fact that the main threat RVP has been out for so long and carrick was in the form of his career last year and played nearly every game. it was papering over the cracks. i also named a whole other list of things that had nothing to do with fergie and stated that it is the only part that i put a bit of blame on fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I'd rather see Coleman.

Mitch already said it, but he doesn't play left back. I thought of Santon as he covered both sides. I figure Santon could be cheaper as well.

No
    He seems to have been written off by many, for whom it suits them to write him off. Come in here after a loss or poor result and pronounce how useless Moyes and the midfield are and want him sacked, yet his midfield signing has been injured for half the games so far and surely was due a bedding in period.

I'm looking forward to seeing him throw his weight around in midfield in the coming games he can be a big player for us.

We need solid defensive midfielders. Fellaini is not and never will be one. He's too slow and does not use his physicality enough to win and hold onto the ball. He's not aggressive enough. He's half of Yaya Toure.

For Fulham....

Play Fletcher and Carrick or Carrick and Jones in midfield. Tell them to sit and protect.

Play Mata, Rooney and Januzaj off RVP, tell them to do whatever the feck they want to do.

Tell Raf and Evra to provide the width.

Tell the players 'getting to the byline' won't be a indicator of a good performance.

Watching United under Moyes is like watching Ireland under Trap. Pathetic management and player utilization.

I've compared us to Trap's Ireland several times,it'd nearly put you off watching them.

• Advertisement

I think we were going that way saturday before everything went t!ts up...we were dominating the ball (I know it was only Stoke) with Rooney and Mata having free-ish roles and dropping off to receive the ball from Carrick. Some nice intricate stuff I thought...at least I think I thought!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement