Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    Paulegend wrote: »
    maybe thats why he is going to get 300k a week. moyes is a genius:D

No moyes can still sail into sunset.... keeping rooney or not he has been piss poor managerial wise this season... cross it, cross it, cross it, CROSS THE BUCKIN BALLL..........

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    Vidals a beast and a very popular one at that.

There is going to be very strong competition for his signature with Madrid the latest to sound out their interest.

If we are to push on i think vidal should have his knob polished twice a day by moyes.. just to keep him happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Reckon Neymar could do a job at RB next year too, certainly going forward (admittedly his marking could be suspect). Also I know this is a bit left field but maybe Pirlo at CB alongside a more established defender? Distribution from the back is important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Vidals a beast and a very popular one at that.

There is going to be very strong competition for his signature with Madrid the latest to sound out their interest.

And despite what some people think, players like him will not join a team who aren't in the Champions League.

Milkers wrote: »
    Reckon Neymar could do a job at RB next year too, certainly going forward (admittedly his marking could be suspect). Also I know this is a bit left field but maybe Pirlo at CB alongside a more established defender? Distribution from the back is important.

Schweinsteiger in goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Schweinsteiger in goal?

Is he tall enough?

No
    And despite what some people think, players like him will not join a team who aren't in the Champions League.

Disagree.. money talks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Been interesting perceptions opinions and feelings towards the rumoured Rooney deal.

Have to say I feel more unease with it, rather then a sigh of relief.

If we even JUST focus with the on pitch antics. (And to be honest I think that pulls away a large part of the discussion which is relevant) I still feel irked by the reported contract and numbers, but mostly the numbers.

At the base of it, I hope it's a sign of strength, intent and showing the world again we are a financial powerhouse. That sort of wage is going to light up players eyes elsewhere, where all of a sudden United is an even MORE attractive prospect. But I don't think we ever had issues supplying players with decent wages, bar the cases where it was totally unjustified (Looking at you Wesley). I would guess maybe this can be rather simply afforded due to some restructuring coming with certain wages essentially being free'd up in the summer.
    However I'd be very interested to know if its coming from wage re-structuring (ie is the balance being made up from players exiting) or is it being provided via new revenue streams.

There is some negatives to both, but the main one being "Will this impact the ability to offer top wages to prospective signings?" I'd imagine it won't and sincerely hope not, and maybe the whole details and numbers are irrelevant. If so, it's signing Rooney longterm, removing speculation and transfer sagas, and a somewhat statement of intent.

But I don't think you can take this situation in isolation. I can't simply ignore what has gone before with Rooney. THe obvious unwanted attention from doing dirt on his misses, is fine. That's his own business, but the club gave him alot of support and backing during that time. And Ferguson provided ALOT of protection. I felt he spat on that when he initiated his first little flutter with the idea of leaving Old Trafford.
    I've no nieve mindset to believe loyalty is a thing in football, I'm long past it, but as a basic human being you would hope people can somewhat return or show some respect that they have been afforded.

Rooney always comes accross to me as someone who outside of the football pitch, wouldn't survive without a host of people assisting him. His brand is one that continues to grow, despite being limited in terms of looks etc. Now you might think "sure what the **** does that matter, we are talking football here", the point I'm making is that Rooney has surrounded himself with some very diligent people who look after his interests, and get him alot of revenue from advertisements and endorsements.
    So it's easy to see, that he might maybe be swayed by their counsel of opinion. His agent (Paul Streford or something) get's talked about a fair deal when you look into the various Rooney affairs. At the end of the day, while he get's his payment, he stands to make big bonus' and receive lump payments, for signing new deals, contracts or transfers for his clients.

It's been well documented, and it's in no way a secret at this stage, that Rooney's team behind him, have capitalised the MOMENT Manchester United show weakness. And I think that is where Ferguson drew the line. Rooney was becoming what was never allowed before, bigger then the club. Able to bend and manipulate the club to his benefit. And I think this is yet another instance of this unfortunately. Alot of people won't care about anything other then what he does on the pitch, and I accept that fully, I just struggle to put aside certain antics that happen.
    Rooney is a real ordeal for me when it comes to him in a United shirt of late. I struggled massively to applaud or give due credit to him for assists,goals or general play after his last incident with the club. Over the summer, I've little doubt that Rooney's team were instigating some stuff in order to engineer a move, or him a new contract, absolutely zero doubts in my mind. But here in, ties up to the football end.

We saw during his well publicised incident with SAF, that it was likely he was on his way, the mooted destination being City. But at the time, I remember seeing a number of interviews and journalists asking the questions around Europe. Barcalona, MAdrid, Bayern, Milan, it came up in every press conference. "Would you like to sign Rooney?" and the answer publicly was always a resounding yes. Mourinho gave a very open comment that he regarded Rooney as a top player, and any club would be lucky to have him.
    But what happened?

Time started to pass, and all of a sudden, nothing was happening...I know exactly what was happening, the big clubs had no interest in Rooney. He would have cost a pretty penny in terms of transfer fees, and commanded a 100k+ wage, and when push came to shove, managers sat down with their chairmans, they said no.

Why?

I think, in tandum with the British Press and Rooney's team of advisors and consultants, they have spun a myth that Rooney is a "world class player". That he is one of the best in the world. I don't know if I agree with this, and I don't think the big clubs in Europe did either. Rooney was nearly destined to become a great, but somewhere along the line it stopped, it didn't materialise. Ronaldo started to outshine him, and Rooney, while having maybe 1 or 2 seasons as the main man, was mostly playing second fiddle to someone more ruthless up front. If Rooney was so devastating, so proflific, so world class as people would have you believe, he wouldn't have had to shift out to the wings or into no.10 roles. He would be the main striker, and everything else falls after him.
    That is just not the case, nor has it been all the time. Rooney has well documented barren spells, another one occuring at the moment, and it is unfortunately just all too common. A striker that people would have you believe, should be scoring 30-35 goals a season, infact barely breaks 18-20 a season. Obviously there have been the oustanding seasons where he has scored a ton of goals, but I don't feel it's consistent enough.

The summer had another "Rooney saga", that I believe his agent orchastrated along with a few others, to either get him a move, or a new contract. Again, the big clubs didn't come knocking, only Chelsea.

There is a part of me that thinks Rooney's performances at the start of this season was a big "I'll show you" and to generate interest for himself ahead of a big move, or new contract. Either way being a win win, but I do not believe he has massive dedication for the club, nor love of the club. Which is fine, that modern footballers, I can accept that. But I think there needs to be a good evaluation done on Rooney, and if it is worth essentially making him bigger then the club, because I can't but help see this is what is happening. Anytime the club is weak, he pounces and get's what he wants. That sends a signal if indispensable, which is dangerous for a club to do.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but something I REALLY struggle with. To be fair Rooney is probably going to set a new club goal scoring record, he is the marketable face of Manchester United and for England as a national team. He clearly puts in tough shifts on the pitch, has wonderful ability, and when he hits a purple patch can be unstoppable. I just find it somewhat difficult to accept and he as a player or person, has never sat with me right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

No
    Dont want to pay rooney more money because all he is after is money.

Want to pay crazy amounts for players because all they want is money.

oh boards....

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I disagree.

Utd could double, triple, quadruple his current wage. That should be enough imo.

The career driven pros are few and far between.
    Those that choose club over cash.

City, Monaco etc should tell you all you need to know.

Vidal will need to be one strong career driven player come the summer cause he is going to have all the riches in the World waved under his noses.
    imo definitely the next windows hot property.

• Advertisement

I disagree.

Utd could double, triple, quadruple his current wage. That should be enough imo.

Vidal will need to be one strong career driven player come the summer cause he is going to have all the riches in the World waved under his noses.

No
    I disagree.

didnt he go to 200k a week recently?

At Juve??? Doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭mobydopy

has vidal signed a contract extension. i heard reports about a bumper deal a while ago but don't know if anything is official?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No

No that I have heard - would be surprised if Juve broke their wage limit by a factor of 4 and it wasn't big news.

I disagree.

Madrid, City, PSG, Monaco and Munich could offer the same or more wages. They also all have CL football next season. If one of those teams want him, United don't stand a chance.

No
    Our discussions on possible players we might sign being mocked in certain other lesser known clubs thread... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Depends on the WC imo. They can make or break transfers and increase the interest and evaluation of some players, while others fall.

Personally feel that there will be a lot of scampering over some one hit wonders this summer, and I hope the likes of ourselves, have done our homework, wrap up business early, and don't get dragged into chasing a hot property from the world cup.

Contrao is a good example of this. The world wasn't getting googly over him before his exploitations in (I want to say South Africa), yet afterwards a clamar of clubs went in for him, and Madrid ended up paying something like 24-26 million for him. Somewhat debatable if he has been a success, definitely an excellent player in there somewhere, but Madrid arnt exactly the place you go when your developing as a footballer.

It happens every World Cup and Euros, but get a sneaky feeling this World Cup will completely set a new level for "splurging on the World Cup one hit wonder".

Milkers wrote: »
    Is he tall enough?

Things like that don't matter in Bangkoks formation and team, even if Bastian had no hands he would want him in his team because he has read his name a few times in Match magazine.

• Advertisement

Our discussions on possible players we might sign being mocked in certain other lesser known clubs thread... ;)

Reus being played in central midfield is what was being mocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Pellegrini says City now biggest club in Manchester.

No
    niallo24 wrote: »

reckon he actually meant best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Schweinsteiger in goal?

I'm not having that...Big Dave has been our best and most consistent performer this year..says a lot doesn't it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

niallo24 wrote: »

Haha_no.gif

brinty wrote: »
    I'm not having that...Big Dave has been our best and most consistent performer this year..says a lot doesn't it..

He's going on the right wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

No

It does look ridiculous both from inside here and outside of here. Posting complete fantasy line-ups without any concrete connections to the players.
    It's going to be a long couple of months until end of season :o

No
    Reus being played in central midfield is what was being mocked.

Apologies yes that is embarrassing talk that deserves mocking ill agree :D

OK I have decided. ...Rooney is simply money mad.

He wanted out first time cause the club lacked ambition yet signs a lucrative contract when you guys sit 7th with CL further away.

He wanted out second time cause he felt like second fiddle. B.S!!
    Chelsea gave him a sniff of what he could earn.
    Utd fůcked up with letting his contract run to the bone.
    Club hits a bad patch, tables turned in Rooneys favour - bingo gets what he wants...Money.

never was about ambition when you take a step back a look.

No
    I think we currently have too many attacking players and not much in backs or midfield...

We really badly need a formation changeup im 100% sure 4-3-1-2 is the way to fit rooney rvp mata etc into the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

No
    United midfield next year I reckon:

Doni -- Carrick

Januzaj---Mata---Reus

Some team lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

No
    No United on this weekend was a relief. Didn't need to suffer through another Moyes' mismanagement.

This weekend though.. Away to Palace.. We'll be lucky to get a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Been interesting perceptions opinions and feelings towards the rumoured Rooney deal.

Have to say I feel more unease with it, rather then a sigh of relief. Apologies for the lengthy post, but something I REALLY struggle with. To be fair Rooney is probably going to set a new club goal scoring record, he is the marketable face of Manchester United and for England as a national team. He clearly puts in tough shifts on the pitch, has wonderful ability, and when he hits a purple patch can be unstoppable. I just find it somewhat difficult to accept and he as a player or person, has never sat with me right.

Rooney has been playing since 17 as a senior and thats now 10 straight years where aside from the odd hair transplant he has had very little time off football. I think Rooneys biggest problem is being the type of pro that looks after himself when compared to the likes of Giggs/Scholes - in order to have a pro longed career you need to be very consistant and follow a particular lifestyle. Something Rooney slips up on from time to time.

No need to struggle with anything the Rooney case seems fairly easy to make out. As mentioned he is 10 yearts plying his trade as a top player. He has been the no.1 and then the no.2 behind Ronaldo then the No.1 again when he left which was also one of his best seasons ever - then of course RVP arrived and Ferguson decided once again that he was not the No.1

... for Rooney this was a massive vote of no confidence. The first time he showed signs of leaving he was an integral part of the team and Ferguson was never going to let that happen - after RVP arrived i have no doubt Ferguson would have offloaded him abroad if given the chance and if Moyes had not come in, i think Rooney would have gone. As it happens ROONEY also know this. So he boxes clever, shows his worth and keeps his head down, advisors always waiting for an opportunity.

If he perfoms well at the World Cup this year he will be gonesky. 28 years old and he practically NEEDS a move away from United as he has become stale and they do not need like like they used to. United know it and so does he.

Hopefully they do not do something stupid (Would be worried about Mourinho selling Mata to Utd) and sell to Chelsea. Cos Mourinho is a master at getting a few extra years of excellent performances out of such strikers as Rooney.

I think we currently have too many attacking players and not much in backs or midfield...

We really badly need a formation changeup im 100% sure 4-3-1-2 is the way to fit rooney rvp mata etc into the team
    Christmas tree formation!

RVP

Rooney--Mata

Midfield Three

With Rafael and a decent attacking left back providing the width.

No
    Christmas tree formation!

RVP

Rooney--Mata

Midfield Three

With Rafael and a decent attacking left back providing the width.
    I just cannot see moyes signing the players we need... the cash is there i reckon but moyes likes to give it away with feillani the perfect example just bad business imo

I just cannot see moyes signing the players we need... the cash is there i reckon but moyes likes to give it away with feillani the perfect example just bad business imo

He won't, it will just be more wingers to CROSS CROSS CROSS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭bren2001

Rooney has been playing since 17 as a senior and thats now 10 straight years where aside from the odd hair transplant he has had very little time off football. I think Rooneys biggest problem is being the type of pro that looks after himself when compared to the likes of Giggs/Scholes - in order to have a pro longed career you need to be very consistant and follow a particular lifestyle. Something Rooney slips up on from time to time.

No need to struggle with anything the Rooney case seems fairly easy to make out. As mentioned he is 10 yearts plying his trade as a top player. He has been the no.1 and then the no.2 behind Ronaldo then the No.1 again when he left which was also one of his best seasons ever - then of course RVP arrived and Ferguson decided once again that he was not the No.1

... for Rooney this was a massive vote of no confidence. The first time he showed signs of leaving he was an integral part of the team and Ferguson was never going to let that happen - after RVP arrived i have no doubt Ferguson would have offloaded him abroad if given the chance and if Moyes had not come in, i think Rooney would have gone. As it happens ROONEY also know this. So he boxes clever, shows his worth and keeps his head down, advisors always waiting for an opportunity.

If he perfoms well at the World Cup this year he will be gonesky. 28 years old and he practically NEEDS a move away from United as he has become stale and they do not need like like they used to. United know it and so does he.

Hopefully they do not do something stupid (Would be worried about Mourinho selling Mata to Utd) and sell to Chelsea. Cos Mourinho is a master at getting a few extra years of excellent performances out of such strikers as Rooney.

Just to clarify for me here. You are saying that if Rooney has a good WC he will leave United? Assuming the contract is signed this week, what would be his motivation to uproot his family and move to another country? Especially when he will be pulling in 300k a week, which no other club will match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United had scouts watching Carvahlo again at the weekend,I wonder with the talk of more dynamic midfielders could Moyes be actually see Carrick as surplus to requirements.He already has Fellaini who is more than capable of playing in that position.The talk is of getting/scouting box to box midfielders.
    Our problem is that we have Carrick who is hardly going to dominate a midfield and nobody else to do the ball carrying & fill the massive hole between our defence & attack.
    Look back on how our performances have gone downhill as we lost that dynamism in midfield & depended more & more on the get it wide - knock it in tactic.Even if we play narrow the ball inevitably ends up going wide to fullbacks pushing on.
    Have a look at City with YaYa who runs with the ball & creates space for others to exploit with their movement,compare that to us atm with the tactic of give it to Carrick,play it to Cleverley,pass it square or back then knock it long.For all Ando's failings & there were many,he used to actually try to carry the ball forward,we have nobody to do that now and are suffering with one dimensional play that's so easy to counteract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

all im saying about reus is that he is technically good enough to play anywhere, very fast too with plenty of skill. If phil jones can play midfield so to can marco reus

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    If phil jones can play midfield so to can marco reus

Brilliant - cause that is how United should decide their transfer work... ffs.

If we want a central midfield BUY A CENTRAL MIDFIELDER.

did you ever think that maybe there are not enough world class central midfielders that are actually available to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

J. Marston wrote: »
    LividAccomplishedIvorybackedwoodswallow.gif

Look at his right foot.

Look at it!

Fùck. me.

He's some kind of wizard

And Vidal signed a contact extension in December that reportedly bumped his contract up near 200k a week so we won't be doubling that anyway.

Would moving from 200k to 300k a week be worth leaving CL football for? And even then as far as I know Rooney still has that thing in his contact saying he has to be the highest paid so he'd get more

No
    did you ever think that maybe there are not enough world class central midfielders that are actually available to buy?

So you shoe horn someone in and hope they are good at it? Like Phil Jones, or Rooney, or Smith.

Also, the thought there aren't players who would be better buys for central midfield than Reus is laughable.

No
    Fùck. me.

He's some kind of wizard

And Vidal signed a contact extension in December that reportedly bumped his contract up near 200k a week so we won't be doubling that anyway.

Would moving from 200k to 300k a week be worth leaving CL football for? And even then as far as I know Rooney still has that thing in his contact saying he has to be the highest paid so he'd get more
    Can you provide a link to official proof of that new contract for Vidal?

Can you provide a link to official proof of that new contract for Vidal?

It's in today's Express with the caveat that Madrid might move for him.

So you shoe horn someone in and hope they are good at it? Like Phil Jones, or Rooney, or Smith.

Also, the thought there aren't players who would be better buys for central midfield than Reus is laughable.

no you develop him and make him one of the best. look at wenger the way he turned henry from a poor winger to world class striker.

or pep guardiola turning the best right back in the world into a central midfielder........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

no you develop him and make him one of the best. look at wenger the way he turned henry from a poor winger to world class striker.

Ah, now I get you. You want to take a world class forward and turn him into a poor midfielder.

You know what, you might just be reading off the same page as Moyes.

Knex. wrote: »
    Ah, now I get you. You want to take a world class forward and turn him into a poor midfielder.

You know what, you might just be reading off the same page as Moyes.

reus is NOT a world class forward.....

or pep guardiola turning the best right back in the world into a central midfielder........

Or Moyes turning the champions of England into a midtable side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

No

Jaysus, Reus is not a CM and it would be a complete and utter waste to sign him and play him there.

How is this still being discussed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement