Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    all im saying about reus is that he is technically good enough to play anywhere, very fast too with plenty of skill. If phil jones can play midfield so to can marco reus

It's a prerequisite to have a decent level of defensive awareness, positional sense and ball skills to operate as a deep CM. Jones has all three but he doesn't have the ball skills to be anything more than an average CM.

Reus has great ball skills but is nowhere near good enough at the other aspects mentioned above to be able to efficiently function as a CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Matador and the cosmic kite.

b7r7tww.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Blatter wrote: »
    It's a prerequisite to have a decent level of defensive awareness, positional sense and ball skills to operate as a deep CM. Jones has all three but he doesn't have the ball skills to be anything more than an average CM.

Reus has great ball skills but is nowhere near good enough at the other aspects mentioned above to be able to efficiently function as a CM.

Michael Carrick has all of these and one of the best in the world in his position yet only really started getting credit for it last 2 years!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Michael Carrick has all of these and one of the best in the world in his position yet only really started getting credit for it last 2 years!!!

Best in the world? Christ no wonder ye are where ye are, over-rating players like that.

Im not even trolling im just genuinely shocked that would you would call Carrick a world class CM. On the big stage he has been shown up time and time again.

rob316 wrote: »
    Best in the world? Christ no wonder ye are where ye are, over-rating players like that.

Im not even trolling im just genuinely shocked that would you would call Carrick a world class CM. On the big stage he has been shown up time and time again.

ONE of the best in the world.... big stage shown up? he was on the utd team that got to 3 champions league finals winning 1!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    If he perfoms well at the World Cup this year he will be gonesky. 28 years old and he practically NEEDS a move away from United as he has become stale and they do not need like like they used to. United know it and so does he.

He won't be gonesky due to one slight little problem, none of the worlds big clubs want him!

Chelsea might want him but for obvious reasons United won't allow that to happen, and after that? Fact is, the Madrids, Barcas, Bayerns, none of them want or need him. I think if there was ever any interest in Rooney from abroad then a bid would have come in last Summer, and I also think United would have accepted it. In fact, they may even have encouraged it.

Its part of why I am surprised that United have pandered to him so much. Even the Chelsea interest will die for good as soon as they get a proper striker in, and they will, no doubt about that. They were never going to wait a year until Rooney ran his contract down to join them at 29, they will buy a Cavani or Costa this summer and after that my guess is that they couldn't give a hoot about Rooney.

United had more bargaining power with Rooney than they seem to think, in my opinion.

ONE of the best in the world.... big stage shown up? he was on the utd team that got to 3 champions league finals winning 1!!

If you call someone one of the best in the world in there position you are calling them world class. The game totally passed him by in the two games against Barcelona so they are not very good examples. Granted he played with a 38 year old Giggs in one final.

Vidal, Toure, Xavi, Pirlo and Alonso are the best/were the best in the world in there position not Carrick.

I think Carrick is a very good player and has suffered from a distinct lack of top class midfield partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ah now,even the likes of Southampton literally passed the ball around him,he's decent at intercepting balls but if any team pressurises him or play simple triangles around him,he's out of the game.
    He's been hamstrung by the lack of a decent partner in midfield to do all the running & hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No
    all im saying about reus is that he is technically good enough to play anywhere, very fast too with plenty of skill. If phil jones can play midfield so to can marco reus
    reus is NOT a world class forward.....

fqwaa.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    If you call someone one of the best in the world in there position you are calling them world class. The game totally passed him by in the two games against Barcelona so they are not very good examples. Granted he played with a 38 year old Giggs in one final.

Vidal, Toure, Xavi, Pirlo and Alonso are the best/were the best in the world in there position not Carrick.

I think Carrick is a very good player and has suffered from a distinct lack of top class midfield partner.

I think Carrick has been great for us.

I would concede the CL finals vs Barca were poor for him - but as you say Giggs was his partner for one of them and in both games we were tactically poor and out numbered in midfield - a lesson we still haven't learned to this day.

The problem most of the time hasn't been Carrick, it has been the single partner beside him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No
    He won't be gonesky due to one slight little problem, none of the worlds big clubs want him!

Chelsea might want him but for obvious reasons United won't allow that to happen, and after that? Fact is, the Madrids, Barcas, Bayerns, none of them want or need him. I think if there was ever any interest in Rooney from abroad then a bid would have come in last Summer, and I also think United would have accepted it. In fact, they may even have encouraged it.

Its part of why I am surprised that United have pandered to him so much. Even the Chelsea interest will die for good as soon as they get a proper striker in, and they will, no doubt about that. They were never going to wait a year until Rooney ran his contract down to join them at 29, they will buy a Cavani or Costa this summer and after that my guess is that they couldn't give a hoot about Rooney.

United had more bargaining power with Rooney than they seem to think, in my opinion.

There are only a few clubs in the world who can afford players like Rooney anyway, Monaco/Psg/Madrid/City/Chelsea ... with Chelsea selling Mata to United i think that opens up the possibility of it happening there - and we know they have the cash and we know Mourinho wants and needs a player like him.

With Rooney you just never know, United will sell if it suits them and Rooney will go if it suits him. Personally i feel he needs a new challenge but you never know. Nobody knows if the big clubs want him or not. This summer and the WC will tell i guess.

No
    The problem most of the time hasn't been Carrick, it has been the single partner beside him.

It kinda is Carrick as well though. He has been the best of a bad bunch but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has been anything special.

I'll give Carrick credit when its due, but he has never been close to world class for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

With Rooney you just never know, United will sell if it suits them and Rooney will go if it suits him. Personally i feel he needs a new challenge but you never know. Nobody knows if the big clubs want him or not. This summer and the WC will tell i guess.

He has a new challenge. Dragging us up the table to a respectable finish this campaign. That should be motivation enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No
    Man Utd Team to line up from next season.......... Discuss

De gea

Rafael Mangala Evans Shaw

Vidal Reus

Mata Rooney Januzaj

Costa

Subs:
    Lindegaard
    Smalling
    Fellaini
    Valencia
    Carrick
    Welbeck
    Powell
    Not a bad team, but why not include Messi and Ronaldo in there too?

carrick started one champions league final with gigs beside him, and Anderson started another final with him. and I would say carrick is easily at the same level as Alonso. Alonso really only had 1 decent season with Liverpool and is blessed that he is playing in a brilliant Spanish team. a lot more European players are more impressed with carrick than people in England. Arsene wenger said last he would be perfectly suited to the Barcelona team in the busquets role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No
    Michael Carrick is a shockingly underrated player.

carrick started one champions league final with gigs beside him, and Anderson started another final with him. and I would say carrick is easily at the same level as Alonso. Alonso really only had 1 decent season with Liverpool and is blessed that he is playing in a brilliant Spanish team. a lot more European players are more impressed with carrick than people in England. Arsene wenger said last he would be perfectly suited to the Barcelona team in the busquets role

You are a Liverpool troll im convinced, there is just no way you could come out with stuff like that otherwise.

Michael Carrick is a shockingly underrated player.

agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

No
    I didn't search but is bangkok the same poster who was advocating buying Lee Cattermole in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No

Tom-Cruise-crazy-laugh.gif

REALLY? World Cup and Euro Winner Alonso ... REALLY???

• Advertisement

You are a Liverpool troll im convinced, there is just no way you could come out with stuff like that otherwise.

no just speaking the truth, you are probably a Liverpool supporter.. Alonso was nothing special at Liverpool until his last season really

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

bantee wrote: »
    I didn't search but is bangkok the same poster who was advocating buying Lee Cattermole in January?

why not just ask the oracle

bantee wrote: »

eh no im just new to this the last week or that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

No
    eh no im just new to this the last week or that..

Sorry, must have been another WUM I was thinking of :D

arbeloa is also a World Cup and Euro Winner....

Stéphane Guivarc'h is also a world cup winner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Can you provide a link to official proof of that new contract for Vidal?

Proof for the figure? You won't find official proof of that, clubs rarely release it that's why it's always "reportedly" and "Sky understands". Rooney's wage has never had official proof if I'm not mistaken yet everyone typically agrees on a certain ballpark.

I'd think with basic wages and extras he would get at the very least 150k a week, when the contract extension came about there were different figures 180, 190 even a few said 200.

We would need to offer 300k a week to get his attention I think and even then that may not be enough to take him away from a champions league team and there's never been any indication he wants to play for United.

Fantastic player but you can count on City, Madrid and possibly Chelsea being in for him and all will have CL football and all can probably offer him beyond our max if they really want him, there's a good chance he may not know much about Moyes either. Not much we can do unless he's a United supporter.

no just speaking the truth, you are probably a Liverpool supporter.. Alonso was nothing special at Liverpool until his last season really

Range of passing, positional awareness, ball retention, goals from the half way line, freekicks.

Just some of the things Alonso is better at.

No

Using trophies to imply someone is better is a terrible argument.

Is Darron Gibson better than Stephen Gerrard?

Loads of players have won nothing or little in comparison to others, doesn't mean they are automatically poorer players.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Loads of players have won nothing or little in comparison to others, doesn't mean they are automatically poorer players.

Could you see Carrick starting for Real Madrid?

agreed, but to say Alonso just because Alonso won a world cup makes him better than carrick is also a flawed argument. When man utd played real Madrid last season Alonso was very poor in both legs

well if mascherano and alex song can start midfield for Barcelona and illiermendi and pepe can play centre mid for real then yes carrick would make either teams. Carrick is actually a class player, its unreal it took most utd fans years to see this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

No

If Carrick is that good United should be planning to build the team around him for the next few seasons. Does that sound exciting ?

No
    Could you see Carrick starting for Real Madrid?

No, but that isn't the point.

The point is using the team trophies a player has won as a measure against another player when discussing TALENT is stupid.

Born the 'wrong' nationality and you are fecked.

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH ITS CARRICK, YOU KNOW!

No
    agreed, but to say Alonso just because Alonso won a world cup makes him better than carrick is also a flawed argument. When man utd played real Madrid last season Alonso was very poor in both legs

Actually it is a very pertinent argument not because of the trophies won, but because of the team that Alonso had to break into to win those trophies.

There is little comparison between Darren Gibson winning a title from the bench and Alonso getting into perhaps the greatest national side ever, a feat that I very much doubt Michael Carrick would have achieved.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    LividAccomplishedIvorybackedwoodswallow.gif

Look at his right foot.

Look at it!

This is actually a glitch in Fifa 14 and they're going to patch it soo....
    No wait.....
    4ZkzEDN.jpg

that gif that people keep posting about mata dragging his foot?!??!! wow he can drag his foot when jumping...amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Carricks role and duties are pretty much overlooked, as are players like him all over. It's about the most "unsexy" role in football.

Oddly enough, you could in an very ebstract discussion, argue that Cleverly has been somewhat replicating Carricks role this year, and in some cases, doing it better. I know that's going to get lashed out of for it. But people need to understand Carricks role and function, to appreciate what it does for the team.
    And from that, you can somewhat compare what cleverly has been doing, and see it's somewhat similar, but somewhat better with his interceptions and disruption of play.

I'm not even going to attempt to go into detail via text explaining it, I'll make a balls of it, but someone like Pro.F, mikey etc. might be able to outline Carrick specifically and what he does. I think ANY debate, discussion and critque of Carrick falls flat on its arse quickly, because 3/4 of people do not understand his function.

I would, however, not to be suprised to see him as one of the surplus to requirements players. As shocking as that might sound. Carrick provides a base/foundation to provide for someone else, to then act as the launch platform for an attack, I think Moyes, if he had his way, want's that launch to happen quicker and from the midfield, rather then from one of his wingers/strikers.

It's not fast enough, thing's don't explode anymore. I'm not saying it's his fault, we don't have that explosive CM, we have midfielders who are more controlled and slower in what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

No
    Thanks Bangkok, thanks to you I just learnt how to use the ignore function.

That gif is cool alright, I think I remember the match though, his pass afterwards was over hit if I remember correctly.

anyone see much of Janko or Varela play this season? are they future first team players??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Reminds me of Berba

berbatov-spin-o.gif

The elegance

No
    that gif that people keep posting about mata dragging his foot?!??!! wow he can drag his foot when jumping...amazing

First thing you have gotten right today. You could find similar from most top players chasing the ball.

What did people think happens when a player is running like that? Did you think his trailing foot would be flat on the ground or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Reminds me of Berba

berbatov-spin-o.gif

The elegance

Keano linked his Pool hat trick,

Miss him so much :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Sacramento wrote: »
    This is actually a glitch in Fifa 14 and they're going to patch it soo....
    No wait.....
    4ZkzEDN.jpg

I've never seen so many people cream themselves over a professional footballer taking a ball down with one touch. It's not like he scored a goal with the resultant touch. I suppose you all need something to get excited about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    Ah, I see we're looking for things to be positive about again. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

No
    I suppose you all need something to get excited about.

Have you not seen how desperate us Utd fans are for something positive this season???

For the love of fcuk just let us have Matas sexy take down.

UTD are undefeated in the champions league this season.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    I've never seen so many people cream themselves over a professional footballer taking a ball down with one touch. It's not like he scored a goal with the resultant touch. I suppose you all need something to get excited about.

Its not the taking the ball down, its how he glides on the toes of his right foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    KH25 wrote: »
    Its not the taking the ball down, its how he glides on the toes of his right foot.

Didn't see anyone creaming themselves either. It just looks kinda cool, get over it.

EDIT - KH25: Backing up your comment, not having a go at you btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    People giving out about others liking a gif can piss the f**k off.
    You'll see it in every super thread FFS.

It seems like you're expected to be in a bad mood and pissed off at everything in this thread. If you're not there'll be some bellend along to take you down a peg or two...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement