Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

People giving out about others liking a gif can piss the f**k off.
    You'll see it in every super thread FFS.

It seems like you're expected to be in a bad mood and pissed off at everything in this thread. If you're not there'll be some bellend along to take you down a peg or two...
    I just don't get the excitement over the Mata gif the Berba gif I think is a fantastic piece of skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I just don't get the excitement over the Mata gif the Berba gif I think is a fantastic piece of skill.

the angle of the shot shows his foot dragging on the ground. We all know he's stretched and jumped to take it down, but leaving his foot trailing made it look like he glided on his toe

I'm really disappointed that had to be explained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    2 things.

Maradona and RVP make a lovely couple

and Rio arm!!!:eek:

BgsXQCxIgAESCQ6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    Its like a conveyor belt of them in here these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    Is Maradonna somehow involved in the trip? Or did he just happen to be there too?

No
    KH25 wrote: »
    Is Maradonna somehow involved in the trip? Or did he just happen to be there too?

Happened to be there.

Or maybe he is becoming our new manager;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    Heard he played CB for us in the game. :eek:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

KH25 wrote: »

I think he is managing in what ever country they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    Dancor wrote: »
    I think he is managing in what ever country they are in.

Yeah you're right. Quick Wiki says he was the manager of Al Wasl FC until 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Comes home to 10 new pages.

"OH! Could something big have happened? Could Moyes be..."

excited-gif19.gif

*Reads through to find it's just people talking about Reus...in CM...*

tumblr_lzb9uyfa4o1qj4vs2o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    Comes home to 10 new pages.

"OH! Could something big have happened? Could Moyes be..."

excited-gif19.gif

*Reads through to find it's just people talking about Reus...in CM...*

tumblr_lzb9uyfa4o1qj4vs2o1_500.gif
    Yes this has become that embarrassing...

vidal should be given a lifesize gold statue to lure him to the club

No
    Speaking of Vidal I think his country could have a good world cup. Tough group but I think they will get out and I think they be a surprise package.

Watched them few times, very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Yes this has become that embarrassing...

vidal should be given a lifesize gold statue to lure him to the club

Or we could just buy Kroos.

The thing is with Vidal getting that new contract and Kroos asking for big wages, which I eventually think he will get, it makes for one disappointing summer in terms of big CM names.

Don't the majority of the deals happen after the tournament in a world cup summer?

No
    In fantasy land signing Kroos and Vidal would be freaking awesome.

Along with a decent LB and RB we be sorted.

back to reality.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In fantasy land signing Kroos and Vidal would be freaking awesome.

Along with a decent LB and RB we be sorted.

back to reality.....

That's not fantasy, that's a completely different level from fantasy

If Moyes pulled off something like that he would have to go down as a United legend even if he's sacked in August for still playing hoofey-wingey with Toni and Arturo in the team

• Advertisement

No
    That's not fantasy, that's a completely different level from fantasy

If Moyes pulled off something like that he would have to go down as a United legend even if he's sacked in August for still playing hoofey-wingey with Toni and Arturo in the team

wow wow

steady on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No
    Kroos,Reus,Vidal,Mata etc....

Is Moyes capabale of managing players of that calibre to get them playing top drawer football in a formation that suits them rather than the muck we are currently seeing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

bangkok wrote: »
    eh no im just new to this the last week or that..

Its clear from your posts that your new to football. Its more complex than it seems, maybe watch it for a bit more than a week to get a feel for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Its clear from your posts that your new to football. Its more complex than it seems, maybe watch it for a bit more than a week to get a feel for it.

Haha I have been involved and played football, still playing now for the last 20 years I think I know what I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

TheDoc wrote: »
    Been interesting perceptions opinions and feelings towards the rumoured Rooney deal.

Have to say I feel more unease with it, rather then a sigh of relief.

If we even JUST focus with the on pitch antics. (And to be honest I think that pulls away a large part of the discussion which is relevant) I still feel irked by the reported contract and numbers, but mostly the numbers.

At the base of it, I hope it's a sign of strength, intent and showing the world again we are a financial powerhouse. That sort of wage is going to light up players eyes elsewhere, where all of a sudden United is an even MORE attractive prospect. But I don't think we ever had issues supplying players with decent wages, bar the cases where it was totally unjustified (Looking at you Wesley). I would guess maybe this can be rather simply afforded due to some restructuring coming with certain wages essentially being free'd up in the summer.
    However I'd be very interested to know if its coming from wage re-structuring (ie is the balance being made up from players exiting) or is it being provided via new revenue streams.

There is some negatives to both, but the main one being "Will this impact the ability to offer top wages to prospective signings?" I'd imagine it won't and sincerely hope not, and maybe the whole details and numbers are irrelevant. If so, it's signing Rooney longterm, removing speculation and transfer sagas, and a somewhat statement of intent.

But I don't think you can take this situation in isolation. I can't simply ignore what has gone before with Rooney. THe obvious unwanted attention from doing dirt on his misses, is fine. That's his own business, but the club gave him alot of support and backing during that time. And Ferguson provided ALOT of protection. I felt he spat on that when he initiated his first little flutter with the idea of leaving Old Trafford.
    I've no nieve mindset to believe loyalty is a thing in football, I'm long past it, but as a basic human being you would hope people can somewhat return or show some respect that they have been afforded.

Rooney always comes accross to me as someone who outside of the football pitch, wouldn't survive without a host of people assisting him. His brand is one that continues to grow, despite being limited in terms of looks etc. Now you might think "sure what the **** does that matter, we are talking football here", the point I'm making is that Rooney has surrounded himself with some very diligent people who look after his interests, and get him alot of revenue from advertisements and endorsements.
    So it's easy to see, that he might maybe be swayed by their counsel of opinion. His agent (Paul Streford or something) get's talked about a fair deal when you look into the various Rooney affairs. At the end of the day, while he get's his payment, he stands to make big bonus' and receive lump payments, for signing new deals, contracts or transfers for his clients.

It's been well documented, and it's in no way a secret at this stage, that Rooney's team behind him, have capitalised the MOMENT Manchester United show weakness. And I think that is where Ferguson drew the line. Rooney was becoming what was never allowed before, bigger then the club. Able to bend and manipulate the club to his benefit. And I think this is yet another instance of this unfortunately. Alot of people won't care about anything other then what he does on the pitch, and I accept that fully, I just struggle to put aside certain antics that happen.
    Rooney is a real ordeal for me when it comes to him in a United shirt of late. I struggled massively to applaud or give due credit to him for assists,goals or general play after his last incident with the club. Over the summer, I've little doubt that Rooney's team were instigating some stuff in order to engineer a move, or him a new contract, absolutely zero doubts in my mind. But here in, ties up to the football end.

We saw during his well publicised incident with SAF, that it was likely he was on his way, the mooted destination being City. But at the time, I remember seeing a number of interviews and journalists asking the questions around Europe. Barcalona, MAdrid, Bayern, Milan, it came up in every press conference. "Would you like to sign Rooney?" and the answer publicly was always a resounding yes. Mourinho gave a very open comment that he regarded Rooney as a top player, and any club would be lucky to have him.
    But what happened?

Time started to pass, and all of a sudden, nothing was happening...I know exactly what was happening, the big clubs had no interest in Rooney. He would have cost a pretty penny in terms of transfer fees, and commanded a 100k+ wage, and when push came to shove, managers sat down with their chairmans, they said no.

Why?

I think, in tandum with the British Press and Rooney's team of advisors and consultants, they have spun a myth that Rooney is a "world class player". That he is one of the best in the world. I don't know if I agree with this, and I don't think the big clubs in Europe did either. Rooney was nearly destined to become a great, but somewhere along the line it stopped, it didn't materialise. Ronaldo started to outshine him, and Rooney, while having maybe 1 or 2 seasons as the main man, was mostly playing second fiddle to someone more ruthless up front. If Rooney was so devastating, so proflific, so world class as people would have you believe, he wouldn't have had to shift out to the wings or into no.10 roles. He would be the main striker, and everything else falls after him.
    That is just not the case, nor has it been all the time. Rooney has well documented barren spells, another one occuring at the moment, and it is unfortunately just all too common. A striker that people would have you believe, should be scoring 30-35 goals a season, infact barely breaks 18-20 a season. Obviously there have been the oustanding seasons where he has scored a ton of goals, but I don't feel it's consistent enough.

The summer had another "Rooney saga", that I believe his agent orchastrated along with a few others, to either get him a move, or a new contract. Again, the big clubs didn't come knocking, only Chelsea.

There is a part of me that thinks Rooney's performances at the start of this season was a big "I'll show you" and to generate interest for himself ahead of a big move, or new contract. Either way being a win win, but I do not believe he has massive dedication for the club, nor love of the club. Which is fine, that modern footballers, I can accept that. But I think there needs to be a good evaluation done on Rooney, and if it is worth essentially making him bigger then the club, because I can't but help see this is what is happening. Anytime the club is weak, he pounces and get's what he wants. That sends a signal if indispensable, which is dangerous for a club to do.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but something I REALLY struggle with. To be fair Rooney is probably going to set a new club goal scoring record, he is the marketable face of Manchester United and for England as a national team. He clearly puts in tough shifts on the pitch, has wonderful ability, and when he hits a purple patch can be unstoppable. I just find it somewhat difficult to accept and he as a player or person, has never sat with me right.

Bet you loved war and peace!

Seriously though, good poster but the praise you got a few days back has gone to your head. Edit baby! I could have summed the above up by posting 'Rooney's new deal, I'm conflicted' we would have understood the back story and context.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Haha I have been involved and played football, still playing now for the last 20 years I think I know what I'm talking about

And yet you think Marco Reus plays in central midfield. You've proven plenty of times that you have no idea what you're talking about.

And yet you think Marco Reus plays in central midfield. You've proven plenty of times that you have no idea what you're talking about.

No I never said he plays there I said we should buy him and play him there turn him into a world class centre midfield player....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

You just made my evening bangkok.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

No
    Wow, the 10 day gap between the Arsenal and Palace matches combined with the fact that this is probably the worst spell that most posters on here have known has really caused the standard of conversation to deteriorate dramatically.

Carrick is world class? And people complaining about others liking that cool Mata gif?

Think for sanity purposes its probably best to avoid this place until 5 o clock Saturday when we can all be united in annoyance over Valencia starting and Kagawa no where to be seen.

Michael Carrick has all of these and one of the best in the world in his position yet only really started getting credit for it last 2 years!!!

That's it I'm buying a lotto ticket, Michael Carrick and best in the world in the same sentence, can only mean the planets have aligned for a once in a lifetime event.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    That's it I'm buying a lotto ticket, Michael Carrick and best in the world in the same sentence, can only mean the planets have aligned for a once in a lifetime event.

Actually just proves my point that a lot of people here can't see how good carrick is... And I said he was one of the best in the world in his position which he was. Fact

Actually just proves my point that a lot of people here can't see how good carrick is... And I said he was one of the best in the world in his position which he was. Fact

No I can see exactly how good he is and he is not and has never been world class. The fact that Utd supporters have recently started lauding Carrick just goes to show how average our midfield has become. He's ok, I quite like him but Jesus Christ when Scholes came out of retirement it was like someone entered the room and turned on the lights so average had we become in his absence. Let's get real here.

Can I just ask here, what world class players do ye think played with man utd last 5-10 years?

No
    Can I just ask here, what world class players do ye think played with man utd last 5-10 years?

Ronaldo
    VDS
    Vidic
    Rooney
    Scholes
    Roy Keane

Some not in prime at that time e.g Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

PA-1027195.jpg

• Advertisement

Ronaldo
    VDS
    Vidic
    Rooney
    Scholes
    Roy Keane

Rio surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

possibly only been 10 to 15 players who have been consistently world class in that time Europe wide at least.

plenty have been world class at times for us but I don't like the phrase.

vidic,ferdinand,ronaldo,scholes,rooney have definatly been world class for us and probably the most consistently world class we have had in that time for me.

vds and keane sorry was thinking more 5 years.

No
    bmcc10 wrote: »
    Rio surely?

Ya

Bangkok is that question not just making your argument look stupider when comparing players like Keane and Scholes opposed to Carrick?

toure is a world class midfielder,carrick is a very good midfielder.

suarez is a world class striker,giroud is a very good striker

that's my take on carrick and world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No
    Carrick.

No as keane and carrick played in different era's, if Roy keane played now he would be sent off a hell of a lot of times

No as keane and carrick played in different era's, if Roy keane played now he would be sent off a hell of a lot of times

Great argument that Bangkok just quit

I didn't post in this forum for so long because I hated the stupid arguing.
    now I understand!!

• Advertisement

And IMO world class players to play for united last 5-10 years without any doubt......

Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Van persie
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Van der Saar
    Scholes
    Mata
    Carrick
    De gea
    Van nistelrooy
    Roy keane

And if Louis Saha wasn't so injury prone I would put him there as well, when he was fit he was brilliant to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    And IMO world class players to play for united last 5-10 years without any doubt......

Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Van persie
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Van der Saar
    Scholes
    Mata
    Carrick
    De gea
    Van nistelrooy
    Roy keane

Carrick falls just short for me and De Gea is getting there, not quite there yet but he will be.
    The rest I've no problem with, everybody's definition of world class seems to be different these days.
    I'd probably drop a few more according to somebody else's definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

No
    Carrick isnt and never has been world class. He had a great season last year and a fair few decent seasons. Its no coincedence that a succession of england managers have deemed him not good enough to be a regular starter for england. The likes of lampard, gerrard, barry and even scott parker have been picked ahead of him. Id be very surprised to see him start a game for england this time round either.

No
    Ronaldo
    VDS
    Vidic
    Rooney
    Scholes
    Roy Keane

Forgot RVP:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Carrick isnt and never has been world class. He had a great season last year and a fair few decent seasons. Its no coincedence that a succession of england managers have deemed him not good enough to be a regular starter for england. The likes of lampard, gerrard, barry and even scott parker have been picked ahead of him. Id be very surprised to see him start a game for england this time round either.

Whatever about Carrick being world class, but I'd hardly have the England managers as a barometer of anything, they let Paul Scholes retire because they wouldn't play him in position, and have spent over a decade trying to put Lampard and Gerrard together due to media pressure, as well as playing Parker because he runs lots (and driven off their captain and replacement captain).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    He might not have been world class but he was certainly good enough the last 18 months to warrant an automatic starting place in that England team.
    I wouldn't use that as a measure of anything.

Gerrard and Lampard in the same team has been the Achilles heel of that England team in the past.
    Flamboyance over effectiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

No
    To be honest most of the previous England managers were not the brightest in the park. Carrick should be a England regular starter and Cleverly getting more starts than him is laughable imo (in the England squad that is).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Jesus lads, one way to settle the Carrick world class debate.

If you were picking a world 11 would he be in it? No.

If you were picking 5/6 central midfielders who could be in a world squad, would be be in it? No.

If you were asked to pick the 10 best midfielders in world football, would he be mentioned? No.

If you were picking a premier league 11, would he be in the centre of that midfield or even on the bench as backup? No.

He is a very very solid player who does a lot of unseen work but he just doesn't fit in the world class category.

Reus, on the other hand ;)

No
    Jesus lads, one way to settle the Carrick world class debate.

If you were picking a world 11 would he be in it? No.

If you were picking 5/6 central midfielders who could be in a world squad, would be be in it? No.

If you were asked to pick the 10 best midfielders in world football, would he be mentioned? No.

If you were picking a premier league 11, would he be in the centre of that midfield or even on the bench as backup? No.

He is a very very solid player who does a lot of unseen work but he just doesn't fit in the world class category.

Reus, on the other hand ;)

Cant argue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

And if Louis Saha wasn't so injury prone I would put him there as well, when he was fit he was brilliant to watch

Christ above easy knowing its midterm...I logged on at lunchtime and this kid was on...and he's still on hours later...
    I'd say something but I got a warning the last time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement