Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    And IMO world class players to play for united last 5-10 years without any doubt......

Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Van persie
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Van der Saar
    Scholes
    Mata
    Carrick
    De gea
    Van nistelrooy
    Roy keane

giggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

bullvine wrote: »
    Ha.. No Ince did, definitely. Pretty sure thats were he played in the 1990 cup final..

Nope, United played with Bruce, Pally, Phelan and Martin at the back that day. Think he play in the the no.2 jersey though before players were assigned official numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

On the basis that he is imo the best CB UTD ever had and in terms of positioning himself in our penalty area and cutting out danger he was excellent. Also his attitude was always top notch and the fact that Rio and Evans used to improve a lot simply by playing next to him.

right...so that means he'll be a man utd standard coach? No coaching experience, but can walk into a position as a coach, based on his playing abilities.

Theres a lot of people saying that Moyes will be Utd's downfall. I reckon Utd's downfall will be employing giggs, (eventually) the nevilles, scholes, ferdinand, etc. as coaches. Their work at the club is done but they wont be able to move on. Just like Ferguson.

As far as I can remember giggs was doing his coaching badges at some stage. Does this make him more likely to become a Top class coach better than you or I??? Yes, it probably does. Does it make him a top class coach, no it doesn't. The utd staff will be filled with people who are employed based on their abilities as players, not coaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    giggs?

Guys guys guys

You are all forgetting the king of position changing.....

GARY
    MOTHER****ING
    DOHERTY!

Macca07 wrote: »
    Nope, United played with Bruce, Pally, Phelan and Martin at the back that day. Think he play in the the no.2 jersey though before players were assigned official numbers

I take it back, wikipedia has corrected me.
    Phelan was often deployed at right-back during his first season at Manchester United, but following the arrival of Denis Irwin in 1990 he mostly played on the right or in the centre of midfield. He had played on the right side of midfield before Irwin's arrival, most notably in the FA Cup final win over Crystal Palace in May 1990, when Paul Ince was switched from central midfield to right back.

• Advertisement

IK09 wrote: »
    right...so that means he'll be a man utd standard coach? No coaching experience, but can walk into a position as a coach, based on his playing abilities.

Theres a lot of people saying that Moyes will be Utd's downfall. I reckon Utd's downfall will be employing giggs, (eventually) the nevilles, scholes, ferdinand, etc. as coaches. Their work at the club is done but they wont be able to move on. Just like Ferguson.

As far as I can remember giggs was doing his coaching badges at some stage. Does this make him more likely to become a Top class coach better than you or I??? Yes, it probably does. Does it make him a top class coach, no it doesn't. The utd staff will be filled with people who are employed based on their abilities as players, not coaches.

I doubt Vidic would ever make a good coach, his ability is natural. Don't think Rio will ever have a coaching role either. Gary & Phil I personally think will make good coaches, and if Scholes could teach anyone to pass the ball half as good as he could, I wouldn't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bullvine wrote: »
    Ha.. No Ince did, definitely. Pretty sure thats were he played in the 1990 cup final..

Keane played right back too sure.

**** it lets go for it, Tony V is a right back also,so is Fletch, Carrick is a CB, Rafael is a CM, Kagawa is a left winger, JOSH is a goalie, Evra is a striker. Thats before you even have to think.

Obvious answer is obviously to spend 40 million on a top level wide attacking option and convert the mother****er into a sitting midfielder. Sure there isnt any of them around, definitely not on a free in the summer anyway. Keep your Matuidis your Fernandos, it would be more satisfying to convert a player from his natural position to one he has shown no ability or interest in playing, for huge money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

zerks wrote: »
    Cleverley could be heading to Spurs,not sure about the link but every cloud & all that.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/40846-manchester-united-news-boss-plans-big-clear-out.php#.UwNDL_sX7gE

Cleverley always ends up at Spurs in my FM 14 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Your summary here of who will and who won't make a good coach is about the same as mine. Its anybodys guess. Just because they were good players doesn't mean they will make a good coach, yes. It also doesn't mean they won't.

If Vidic was interested in doing his badges and wanted to do some defensive coaching at UTD in a team of other coaches, ex-players or not I wouldn't be against it because his attitude is great and I don't think he would settle for players not following instructions or preforming well.

You went on to mention the amount of ex-players set to coach at UTD where as I only mentioned Vidic. I would be more happy with the thought of Vidic offering advise in a team with some proven cocahes than I would Neville.

I suggested Vidic but this doesn't mean I am looking for an all ex-UTD coaching team. I would love Queiroz back plus Rene and the idea of some of our best players working with them doesn't seem bad to me. The current coaching staff doesn't get me excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

In my football manager save Moyes got sacked after the first season and after unsuccessful period at West Ham is now managing Huddersfield in the championship. Cleverley went to Spurs and is currently at Birmingham City. Thats plausible in real life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    kryogen wrote: »
    Keane played right back too sure.

**** it lets go for it, Tony V is a right back also,so is Fletch, Carrick is a CB, Rafael is a CM, Kagawa is a left winger, JOSH is a goalie, Evra is a striker. Thats before you even have to think.

Obvious answer is obviously to spend 40 million on a top level wide attacking option and convert the mother****er into a sitting midfielder. Sure there isnt any of them around, definitely not on a free in the summer anyway. Keep your Matuidis your Fernandos, it would be more satisfying to convert a player from his natural position to one he has shown no ability or interest in playing, for huge money.

Keane played everywhere apart from in Nets unlike O'shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

lets play good coach, bad coach....

roy keane, class player, poor manager
    jose mourinho, crap player, great manager
    bryan robson class player, poor manager
    arsene wenger crap player, class manager
    John Barnes, class player, poor manager
    Graeme souness class player poor manager

etc etc

No

etc etc

Lets not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

etc etc

What's the criteria for "poor manager"? That they didn't achieve the same level as they had as a player?

Apart from Barnes, the 3 others had some success as mangers.

It is extremely rare for a man to achieve a similar level as both a player and a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No

etc etc

Maybe for a blog though don't you think rather than filling this thread up with more tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Conte, Ancelotti, Mancini, Simeone, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Dalglish, Rijkaard and Guardiola all good players and managers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Mata makes boards.ie "Post of the Day" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    J. Marston Mata makes boards.ie "Post of the Day" :P

side.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I reckon Utd's downfall will be employing giggs, (eventually) the nevilles, scholes, ferdinand, etc. as coaches. Their work at the club is done but they wont be able to move on.

Assuming you haven't just posted vomit without any sense of logic or reason, maybe you can give us some inside knowledge as to what Paul Scholes, Phil Neville, Ryan Giggs do in terms of coaching at the club, and specifically, what they are doing incorrectly, that has lead you to have you believe they will be United's downfall?

Not forgetting that, of those mentioned, Rio & Gary don't coach at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    J. Marston wrote: »
    side.gif

beautifullyred makes post of the day!

• Advertisement

No
    beautifullyred makes post of the day!

Don't ruin this for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    At least we won something this year

No
    At least we won something this year

david-moyes_2641120b.jpg

2013/2014 Honours:

Community Shield.
    Boards.ie Post Of The Day.

Can't wait for the season review DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    Here ya go (again)
    1920354_10201023676624654_1848774764_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

No
    J. Marston wrote: »
    david-moyes_2641120b.jpg

2013/2014 Honours:

Community Shield.
    Boards.ie Post Of The Day.

Can't wait for the season review DVD.

Wonder what odds u would get for that to be the only silverware won by him during his tenure as manager.

Pressure back on this weekend. A must win required against a revitalised Palace under Tony Pulis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    Wonder what odds u would get for that to be the only silverware won by him during his tenure as manager.

I saw odds quoted for that a week or so ago. He is odds on not to win another trophy as Utd manager. Something like 4/6 not to win another trophy if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

No
    just a by the way;

2 league wins in the last 8.

But I'm sure the next few years will be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Terrible to be going into a game against Palace at the weekend & not confident of a result,teams like these used to be cannon fodder for United.

palace a team fighting for their lives under Tony Pulis as manager, at home are going to be difficult to beat, but live on sky, players well refreshed after a trip to Dubai, mata settled in now after the bonding session over there, rvp and rooney back 100% fit, vidic and Ferdinand fit again, united will win the game. they will, I think come out flying but if they don't score in the first 15-20 min they will get dragged into a dog fight, but still come out the other side with a scrappy 1-0 or 2-1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

zerks wrote: »
    Terrible to be going into a game against Palace at the weekend & not confident of a result,teams like these used to be cannon fodder for United.

Regardless of our own form, Palace away is a tough test for any PL team.

No
    Shelhurst Park brings back fond memories

Cantonas stunning goal in Cup
    Denis Irwin on end of 30+ pass move to score in same game.
    Beckhams Goal from half way line
    Cantonas Kung Fo kick

Good Times. None of this you will see this weekend sadly. Backs to the wall 2-1 victory is best I hope for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Good Times. None of this you will see this weekend sadly. Backs to the wall 2-1 victory is best I hope for.

Never let it be said that you're not an optimist Kew. Personally I can't even bring myself to hope for any kind of victory lately. :(

Leftist wrote: »
    just a by the way;

2 league wins in the last 8.

But I'm sure the next few years will be okay.

2 in 7 or 3 in 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

No
    2 in 7 or 3 in 8.

you are right, i miscounted the fa cup game.

so 3 wins in 10 in all comps in 2014.

one of which was in extra time, and we lost the tie on penos.

phew.

No
    Thats relegation form:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Sky are interviewing a load of English Barcelona fans from London. I can understand people like ourselves following oversees clubs, but what on earth are lads from London doing following a Spanish side? I know we all have a few teams here and there that we like to see doing well. But I wouldn't wear any other team's colours or properly support another club.

When Barca whipped us in 2009 my cousin said he didn't really mind because he "supports them as well." Fcuk sake.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Sky are interviewing a load of English Barcelona fans from London. I can understand people like ourselves following oversees clubs, but what on earth are lads from London doing following a Spanish side? I know we all have a few teams here and there that we like to see doing well. But I wouldn't wear any other team's colours or properly support another club.

When Barca whipped us in 2009 my cousin said he didn't really mind because he "supports them as well." Fcuk sake.

most people I know support an English prem league side, celtic and either barca or real..... wouldn't be able to do it either, its utd 100% for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I see very little difference in an Irish person supporting man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

No

Right or wrong, there is a differece. The English public have a world class league to follow on their home turf... we don't. That's quite a big difference.

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »
    Right or wrong, there is a differece. The English public have a world class league to follow on their home turf... we don't. That's quite a big difference.

Not necessarily. What if someone's nearest club was a non league team and they'd rather follow a major club, namely Barca, than watch a lower standard of football.

Also who's to say they don't follow another team in England. They probably do

Julez wrote: »

la liga has most of the best players in the world....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Some people are football fans and don't use an arbitrary club to identify themselves with (I don't mean this in any negative way) and so like to watch teams that try to play the best kind of football.

No

My facebook is full of Liverpool/Barca fans, funny most of them creeped up when Messi became a god :pac:

If I could get a 20 minute train in any direction and end up at a top flight football ground there's no way I'd be supporting a team oversees.

I don't follow League of Ireland, but when I was living in Cork I was over at them the whole time, just to get involved.

To each their own, but imagine being a Londoner and passing by Arsenal v Bayern on your way up to Manchester to support Barcelona

More power to them I suppose. I just find it odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. What if someone's nearest club was a non league team and they'd rather follow a major club, namely Barca, than watch a lower standard of football.

Fair point.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What if someone's nearest club was a non league team and they'd rather follow a major club, namely Barca, than watch a lower standard of football.

That's well argued in fairness. I hadn't thought of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭paulbok

No
    It's 100% United for me. I'd have a leaning for certain other teams, Ac Milan, Juventus and Barca but I wouldn't go out of my way to 'support' them or wear their colours.
    Same as I'd 'support' any team playing Liverpool or City.

No
    Actually speaking of supporting clubs how many Man Utd fans here support another big team in Europe/world?

I say im one of few here who supports 3 teams although you hardly call Cork and Hibs world class.;)

I dont see many lads here who do support another major team. I will get back to why I asked this question little later.

Just want to see if many do.

Actually speaking of supporting clubs how many Man Utd fans here support another big team in Europe/world?

I say im one of few here who supports 3 teams although you hardly call Cork and Hibs world class.;)

I dont see many lads here who do support another major team. I will get back to why I asked this question little later.

Just want to see if many do.

I think a lot of Irish people "support" Celtic, I would say they're my favourite Scottish team, but I wouldn't be travelling to see them, and doubt I'd even watch them on TV at this stage.

It's United 100% really at this stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement