Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

paulbok wrote: »
    It's 100% United for me. I'd have a leaning for certain other teams, Ac Milan, Juventus and Barca but I wouldn't go out of my way to 'support' them or wear their colours.
    Same as I'd 'support' any team playing Liverpool or City.

And Southampton/Newcastle now i suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    Actually speaking of supporting clubs how many Man Utd fans here support another big team in Europe/world?

I say im one of few here who supports 3 teams although you hardly call Cork and Hibs world class.;)

I dont see many lads here who do support another major team. I will get back to why I asked this question little later.

Just want to see if many do.

United and Ireland are the only teams I really care about. Have a soft spot for Real Madrid because of C. Ron. and my general dislike of Barca. But wouldn't really care too much about their results. Also, the 'cool' irish thing to do appears to be suporting Celtic aswel as your English club, but couldn't care less about them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

As the CL is starting back tonight, and hopefully United will progress, who would you fancy for the quarter-finals, presuming it's all the group winners that progress.

Paris Saint-Germain
    Barcelona
    Atletico Madrid
    Bayern Munich
    Borussia Dortmund
    Manchester United
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea

I honestly couldn't see United beating any of those teams over 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Macca07 wrote: »
    I think a lot of Irish people "support" Celtic, I would say they're my favourite Scottish team, but I wouldn't be travelling to see them, and doubt I'd even watch them on TV at this stage.

It's United 100% really at this stage.

I will get back to why I asked the question little later. I might have log out but thanks in advance to anyone who will reply.

I think many will be like yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Actually speaking of supporting clubs how many Man Utd fans here support another big team in Europe/world?

I say im one of few here who supports 3 teams although you hardly call Cork and Hibs world class.;)

I dont see many lads here who do support another major team. I will get back to why I asked this question little later.

Genuinely have no interest in supporting any other teams.

A lot of my mates would follow Celtic or Barca or others as second teams, but I just couldn't. No interest in how either of them (for example) do.
    If there's a game on, I'd watch it and I enjoy watching all levels of football, but if either of them won 6-0 or lost 6-0, it wouldn't bother me any more than any other game.

No
    And Southampton/Newcastle now i suppose?

This guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

As the CL is starting back tonight, and hopefully United will progress, who would you fancy for the quarter-finals, presuming it's all the group winners that progress.

Paris Saint-Germain
    Barcelona
    Atletico Madrid
    Bayern Munich
    Borussia Dortmund
    Manchester United
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea

I honestly couldn't see United beating any of those teams over 2 legs.

Barca and Bayern could possibly exit in this round and then that blows the whole competition wide open. If Madrid and another big gun (City hopefully) get drawn together it could make for one of the least difficult routes to the final in years, not easy but not as hard as usual.

If UTD set up like we did away to Arsenal and play like we did at home to Arsenal and Chelsea we could possibly make the semis and then anything goes.

Its a long shot but its our only chance of making the UCL next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

United scouts have apparently watched William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon twelve times this season.

Haven't seen much of him myself so not sure.

He looks good, good at intercepting and reading the game, good at tackling. Quick feet and can carry the ball well, good at distributing the ball, looks for the forward pass, he has an eye for goal as well. Has that relentlessness that you want from that kind of midfielder. Whether this can transfer over to the premier league is another question.

Putting him and Fellaini together would be similar to the Belgian midfield, pivot to break up the play and launch attacks. If Rooney is moved up top next season with Mata behind and Kagawa and Januzaj either side.. with those two in CM I'd be happy.

We still need a real top top CM as well but if we can get him for decent money he could easily be a semi-regular starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He looks good, good at intercepting and reading the game, good at tackling. Quick feet and can carry the ball well, good at distributing the ball, looks for the forward pass, he has an eye for goal as well. Has that relentlessness that you want from that kind of midfielder. Whether this can transfer over to the premier league is another question.

Putting him and Fellaini together would be similar to the Belgian midfield, pivot to break up the play and launch attacks. If Rooney is moved up top next season with Mata behind and Kagawa and Januzaj either side.. with those two in CM I'd be happy.

We still need a real top top CM as well but if we can get him for decent money he could easily be a semi-regular starter.

Nice. He's only 21 too so would be a good long term signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What's his crossing like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Do Waterford United and Rochdale count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Does any team that is playing Liverpool count?

No
    kryogen wrote: »
    Do Waterford United and Rochdale count?

Lol Kryo my dear man you should be given a medal for supporting Rochdale

No
    Does any team that is playing Liverpool count?

Wellllllllllll

If you support them every week which means you must support over 100 teams then yes ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Just United for me now. It used to be United & Home Farm and to a lesser extent Dublin City.
    Have a "soft spot" for a few others, Inter being the main one.

• Advertisement

No
    What's his crossing like?

56 in Fifa 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

A few years ago I was playing Fifa and I got loaned out to Hartlepool. I soon came to realise they had two players called Peter Hartley and James Poole playing for them.

Hartley and Pool playing for Hartlepool. I have had a soft spot for them ever since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Always just been United.

Had a brief flirty relationship with Spurs last year, but that was cause Bale bought my love with his constant goals and my Anytime bets :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

No

Paris Saint-Germain
    Barcelona
    Atletico Madrid
    Bayern Munich
    Borussia Dortmund
    Manchester United
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea

If those 8 do go through it will be one of the strongest last 8's in recent years. You could probably sub in City or Arsenal and it would still be extremely strong.

No
    Keno wrote: »
    A few years ago I was playing Fifa and I got loaned out to Hartlepool. I soon came to realise they had two players called Peter Hartley and James Poole playing for them.

Hartley and Pool playing for Hartlepool. I have had a soft spot for them ever since.

A James Brown used to play for them too.

• Advertisement

A James Brown used to play for them too.

Whenever I scored with him I'd always proclaim "I feel good".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Keno wrote: »
    Whenever I scored with him I'd always proclaim "I feel good".

Support Bradford City and Celtic as well as United. Although United >>>>>>>>>>>> anything else

No
    Celtic does not count.

Ye poor lads were just brainwashed by Catholic Church ;-)

I knew you were Bradford fan Paul you were one of few I was thinking of.

No disrespect but Bradford Hartlepool or Rochdale dont strike fear into rest of Europe just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Old Trafford tours for today & tomorrow sold out because of Barça fans who have travelled for the game against City -

BgxsW0BIcAAZBk6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Some laugh if half of them thought they were playing United

No
    Old Trafford tours for today & tomorrow sold out because of Barça fans who have travelled for the game against City -

BgxsW0BIcAAZBk6.jpg

Only 1 big club in Manchester. Barca fans know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    I think a lot of Irish people "support" Celtic

Hate Celtic tbh!

Super Boez all the way, we'll be back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    also City merchandise sellers go to Old Trafford, because it was busier there.

1383782_722653381108001_2079680233_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Is it bad that I have a soft spot for Arsenal?? :o ... have the up most respect for the club.

Celtic does not count.

Ye poor lads were just brainwashed by Catholic Church ;-)

I knew you were Bradford fan Paul you were one of few I was thinking of.

No disrespect but Bradford Hartlepool or Rochdale dont strike fear into rest of Europe just yet.

Catholic growing up in England and went to Catholic school. It was hammered into me from a young age and I stuck with it.

City will be back, you watch (well we will all be long gone by then)

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Is it bad that I have a soft spot for Arsenal?? :o ... have the up most respect for the club.

Yes.

I respect Arsenal hugely but they are a rival. Can't have any soft spot for em!

Yes.

Of course they are a rival but with United out of the title race I hope Arsenal go on and win it.

Of course they are a rival but with United out of the title race I hope Arsenal go on and win it.

Lesser of 3 evils rather than soft spot? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    Yes.

agreed great respect for the club especially how they did great work with their finances and the stadium but as said they are a rival

Lesser of 3 evils rather than soft spot? :pac:
    Well ha yeah a case could be made for that - I do have an irrational hatred for Chelsea and City.... Liverpool are Liverpool and their unbearable fans spouting ****e means they fall into that irrational hatred too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No

I used to be a United supporter but became more and more bored with them over the course of maybe five years or so because they were so bad to watch. Around the same time Arsenal had Fabregas and RVP and were playing great stuff.

Eventually found myself cheering for Arsenal in some EPL game against United a few years ago which was a bit of a surprise to myself.

At this stage I don't support anyone really, but follow how United and Arsenal both are doing, watch a lot of both of their games.

When they met, the other week it was like the opposite of being a neutral wanting both sides to score. It was fun.

No
    Im gonna get slaughtered for this but I would be going for Liverpool if I did not have worry about the fans after it.

Have always admired the club and tradition but like I say the fans I know would make Arsenal seem lesser of the evils

Im gonna get slaughtered for this but I would be going for Liverpool if I did not have worry about the fans after it.

Have always admired the club and tradition but like I say the fans I know would make Arsenal seem lesser of the evils
    notsureifserious.jpg

You're off the Christmas card list.

• Advertisement

No

Good lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

My mate's a Liverpool fan and he always says the same. He actually seems genuinely upset that Man U are taking a nose dive. I think he just wants Man U and Liverpool going for the title every season. For him it's a bit of banter. I do admire Liverpool, but I wouldn't go that far. I like Arsenal though. Most of that is an appreciation of what Wenger has done over the years, but I like the 'idea' of them as well. They're a cool club.

No
    notsureifserious.jpg

Did you read part in not in bold also ;-)

ThirdMan wrote: »
    My mate's a Liverpool fan and he always says the same. He actually seems genuinely upset that Man U are taking a nose dive. I think he just wants Man U and Liverpool going for the title every season. For him it's a bit of banter. I do admire Liverpool, but I wouldn't go that far. I do like Arsenal though. Most of that is an appreciation of Wenger, but I do like the idea off them as well. They're a cool club.
    Yeah that's the exact same as myself - Wenger is Arsenal FC, what a fantastic manager who again showed his class last Sunday in response to Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    Let's hope Pellegrini understands the 2 leg goals rule tonight.

Biggest club in Manchester me hole

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    Teams I have no love for.

Leeds
    City
    Liverpool

The rest all blend into each other after them. Probably whoever is managed by Pardew would be tied with W ham for 4th.

• Advertisement

Did you read part in not in bold also ;-)
    Aye but still in shock over what was in bold :)

lordgoat wrote: »

Leeds
    City
    Liverpool

The rest all blend into each other after them. Probably whoever is managed by Pardew would be tied with W ham for 4th.
    I'd add Real Madrid into that too - don't like what they stand for at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    lordgoat wrote: »

Leeds
    City
    Liverpool

Yep, wit ya 100% on that, if i said my feelings on them 3 clubs i'd be banned for life from here, no doubt about it.

As for Kew's post, all the good posts from the guy have just become irrelevant after that outburst!!

No
    Leeds
    Chelsea
    West Ham
    City.

Stoke have come right into it.

Basically any team that celebrates us coming second like they have just won the league.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yep, wit ya 100% on that, if i said my feelings on them 3 clubs i'd be banned for life from here, no doubt about it.

As for Kew's post, all the good posts from the guy have just become irrelevant after that outburst!!
    :pac: haha that made me laugh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement