Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

No
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Let's hope Pellegrini understands the 2 leg goals rule tonight.

Biggest club in Manchester me hole

But he didn't say that. Not sure why the interpreter didn't correct the quote. I heard the audio earlier and to me he was talking about Man City being the best club in Manchester this season. It's quite clear actually when you take what he said before and after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I never really took to Chelsea at all. I'm not sure why. It's a strange one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I've always quite liked Spurs, i might have to reconsider if they keep beating us though.

But he didn't say that. Not sure why the interpreter didn't correct the quote. I heard the audio earlier and to me he was talking about Man City being the best club in Manchester this season. It's quite clear actually when you take what he said before and after it.

It's quite clear when you subtract the 'Sky Sports factor'. They turn everything into BigNews™. I was working on a project all day yesterday and I had SSN on as background noise. They had that Pellegrini story running every 15 minutes from yesterday morning until late last night. It's actually embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lol Kryo my dear man you should be given a medal for supporting Rochdale

Some good players have come through that club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

kryogen wrote: »
    Some good players have come through that club!

Ah but who were they playing for? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    So basically Bradford Hartlepool Rochdale is as good as it gets.

For me im not surprised.

The reason I asked is that most Manchester United fans I know just support United and same seems to apply here.

However the amount of fans from other rivals clubs that support another big.club seems be much much higher. Its actually quiet lot on boards and other forums I be on.

Nothing wrong with that it just became funny when mate was texting me calling me glory hunter and he supports liverpool milan and a madrid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    I'd add Real Madrid into that too - don't like what they stand for at all.

I disagree completely. They were the most supportive club to United after Munich, helped keep our club alive. Massively important and got the club badly needed money at the time.

There's a rumour that DiStefano was coming to us on loan but united refused to pay his wages- have a google.

Hala Madrid.

No

For me im not surprised.

The reason I asked is that most Manchester United fans I know just support United and same seems to apply here.

However the amount of fans from other rivals clubs that support another big.club seems be much much higher. Its actually quiet lot on boards and other forums I be on.

Nothing wrong with that it just became funny when mate was texting me calling me glory hunter and he supports liverpool milan and a madrid.

Harltepool?

Don't they hang monkeys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

For me im not surprised.

Seems obvious but surely its down to our success over the last 20 years. Other fans of PL clubs have had to look abroad to meet their need to support a team who wins trophies. Our constant stream of success over this time nullifies that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

PSG only beating Leverkusen 3-0, they're no United Bill

No
    lordgoat wrote: »
    I disagree completely. They were the most supportive club to United after Munich, helped keep our club alive. Massively important and got the club badly needed money at the time.

There's a rumour that DiStefano was coming to us on loan but united refused to pay his wages- have a google.

Hala Madrid.

Distefano??

Lol

No
    They might have helped club no way in this world do I believe we were going to get there greatest player.

Its been quashed by him and Busby in past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

Actually speaking of supporting clubs how many Man Utd fans here support another big team in Europe/world?

I say im one of few here who supports 3 teams although you hardly call Cork and Hibs world class.;)

I dont see many lads here who do support another major team. I will get back to why I asked this question little later.

Just want to see if many do.

I don't suppose the mighty reds of shelbourne count as a world class team??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Yay Barca.

No
    I don't suppose the mighty reds of shelbourne count as a world class team??????

Back im 2004 maybe ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Read something recently about Madrid and United playing a couple of friendlies very soon after Munich.
    Madrid waived an appearance fee in order to help United out.

50 years is a long time, and I wonder if they'd do the same now even if it were possible, but they deserve huge credit for that. The same article I read also mentioned the di Stefano links.

Edit - it was actually the link that Lordgoat posted above!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I dislike Barca more than I do City in this game. A: they are the smuggest team in the world. B: The best team in the EPL at the minute arguably isn't putting up much of a fight against them. I always someway think this looks bad on our league and on United.

• Advertisement

Sam Byrne scored for Carlisle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I remember liking Parma years ago when channel four had the Italian football. Had Thuram, Cannavaro, Buffon at that time.

United were linked to all three which probably helped.

Dino Baggio, Crespo were there as well. Managed to get Veron for a while, was raging when he left for Lazio, thought United should have bought him.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

I dislike Barca more than I do City in this game. A: they are the smuggest team in the world. B: The best team in the EPL at the minute arguably isn't putting up much of a fight against them. I always someway think this looks bad on our league and on United.

I dislike barca but hate city, imagine in city won the champions league we would never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    collie0708 wrote: »
    I dislike barca but hate city, imagine in city won the champions league we would never hear the end of it.

No chance of that thank god :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

City aren't the best team in the PL. Everyone's still pretty much as bad as last season with slight improvements from Chelsea and City, they just look better because United have been nowhere near last season's points total. Arsenal were the best team in the league for the 2nd half of last season and carried that into the season. None of them are near the very top echelon though. City have too many players who blow hot and cold and Chelsea don't have a striker near the level needed to be the best. City have the talent but a lack of on pitch leadership bar Kompany is still there imo.

It's strange but at this point I'm actually fond of all 3 top Spanish sides...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Have never really minded some of the Italian teams. Their dominanace didnt seem half as bad as the Spanish teams for example.

Of rivals, would personally like to see Arsenal competing with us over Liverpool. While it would obviously be different for different generations, I personally have never seen Liverpool being a top side, so lack of success, coupled with an old small stadium would make it feel wrong having them at the top for me, much like City now. Obviously managers like Benitez and Daglish haven't helped, aswell as some unlikeable players. Arsenal in comparison had many years of my lifetime near the top, are well run with a brillliant stadium and classy manager. Theyve had some annoying characters too, but the likes of Viera, Adams, Fabergas and Campbell are hard not to respect.98-04 and our rivalry really were golden years for the league

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    None of them are near the very top echelon though.

No team in the Premier League has been in the very top echelon for years. Sky Sports just want you to think they are. Example: "he'll have to adapt to life in the Premier League." Yeah, he'll have to get used to defending corners.

No
    ThirdMan wrote: »
    No team in the Premier League has been in the very top echelon for years. Sky Sports just want you to think they are. Example: "he'll have to adapt to life in the Premier League." Yeah, he'll have to get used to defending corners.

And the rain. Don't forget the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

lordgoat wrote: »

Hala Madrid.
    I know that and that should always be remembered but I was referring to RM of recent times - dismissing successful managers like Del Bosque was/is disgraceful in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    The best team in the EPL at the minute arguably isn't putting up much of a fight against them. I always someway think this looks bad on our league and on United.

City's problem is that they aren't getting to the byline enough. Barca's problem too, come to think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No

I would argue against this; English teams have gotten to the latter stages of the Champions League pretty consistently for the past 10 years or so. Even in the past 5 years, they've had good success.

2004: Chelsea and Arsenal contested a quarter final, Chelsea in the semi-final. Porto won the final against Monaco.

2005: Chelsea and Liverpool were in the quarters, Chelsea v. Liverpool in a semi-final, Liverpool win the CL

2006: Arsenal the sole English team to progress beyond the round of 16, making it to the final, losing to Barca

2007: United, Chelsea and Liverpool in the quarters, United lost to Milan in the semi-final, Chelsea lost to Liverpool, Liverpool contested but lost the final to Milan

2008: All four English sides in the quarters (Liverpool knocking out Arsenal), United knocking out Barca in the semis, Chelsea beating Liverpool in the semis, United winning the CL beating Chelsea in the final.

2009: Again, all four English teams in the quarters, 3 in the semi finals, United contested the final, losing to Barca

2010: No English team got further than the quarter finals this year. 2 teams made it to the quarters.

2011: Spurs, Chelsea and United (Chelsea v. United) in the quarters, United got to the final.

2012: By an act of god, Chelsea were the only English team left by the quarter finals, going all the way by another miracle and won the CL.

2013: Another bad year for the English sides, with only 2 sides making the Last 16 and none making it to the quarter finals.

2014: So far, all 4 English sides have made it to the Round of 16. United and Chelsea are favourites in their ties.

For the past decade, English teams have featured consistently enough in in the latter stages of the Champions League. The Champions League trophy was won by an English side 3 times in the past 10 years (2005, 2008, 2012; Portugal, Spain, Italy and Germany won the rest) and English teams contested in the final in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012. Add in semi-final appearances and quarter final appearances and English sides are right up there.

Not saying they're elite, but saying they're not amongst the top sides in Europe isn't correct either, IMO. Sky hypes them up, in a big way. But that's what Sky pundits are paid to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

City's problem is that they aren't getting to the byline enough. Barca's problem too, come to think of it.

Cross, cross, cross!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Barca had 18 crosses and 0 successful, they need some Moyes in their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

bangkok wrote: »
    heres a list of players off the top of my head that have changed positions during their careers and excelled....

Bale....left back-most expensive attacking midfielder in the world
    Yaya Toure.... defensive midfielder-one of the best box-box midfielders in the world
    Henry.....crap winger-world class striker
    lothar mattheus...midfielder--best sweeper in the world
    dion Dublin.....defender-striker
    mascherano...midfielder---centre back
    and I will finish with phil Neville....right/left back..... midfielder

Roy Keane: right back
    Paul Scholes: striker

No
    Roy Keane: right back
    Paul Scholes: striker

I remember Scholes being striker. When was Keane RB? Rings a bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Wasn't he rightback in that 3 - 2 comeback against Man city. Think he started his first couple of games as right back. Brian McClair and Mike Phelan were in centre midfield if memory serves me right around that time

Keane joined as a CM though. He was probably just filling in at RB in those instances.

No
    Wasn't he rightback in that 3 - 2 comeback against Man city. Think he started his first couple of games as right back. Brian McClair and Mike Phelan were in centre midfield if memory serves me right around that time

November 1993 comeback?

Maybe your right. Im not saying your not dude. You could be spot on.

For some reason it rang a bell when I saw Keane at RB but did not think it was then.

No
    Keane played CM for Nottingham and Cobh. Sure he might have played RB to fill in but I don't think he was ever deployed there with a view to it being his long term position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No

Even Ince played RB sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Soooo one might say we've been shoehorning players into RB for 20 years now or so? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Soooo one might say we've been shoehorning players into RB for 20 years now or so? :pac:

Yep but it's nothing like the master stroke of buying Reus for CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Actually speaking of supporting clubs how many Man Utd fans here support another big team in Europe/world?

I say im one of few here who supports 3 teams although you hardly call Cork and Hibs world class.;)

I dont see many lads here who do support another major team. I will get back to why I asked this question little later.

Just want to see if many do.

Support is a big word Kew...

The only clubs i'd say i support are Manchester United and Grimsby Town..

Have a soft spot for
    Real Madrid - after what they did for United post Munich i.e. friendlies, offered players on loan (dunno if they offered first team palyers)
    Sampdoria - when the italian football came on C4 they had some great players (Mancini, Lombardo, Vialli, Vierchwood!!) and challenged the dominant Milan of the 90's
    Drogheda - cos i was born there
    Waterford - cos I live there

Is it odd I have no affinity at all for Celtic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

and they'll have to get use to the cold wet and windy midweek games in Stoke :P:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    Keane played RB lots of time in his early years, he played there a good bit in 94-95 when Parker got injured and as Nevile was coming through. He played in the 9-0 against Ipswich there, think he scored the first goal. He also played against Spurs in 98 at RB when Ginola got Neville Sent off. Ginola didnt get a kick after that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I think a lot of midfielders are capable of playing right-back, Keane, Ince, Fletcher & Carrick have all played there for United, Gerrard played there for Liverpool. I'm not saying that they are natural right-backs, but they are often slotted in there if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Looking at our next 6 fixtures, we should really be coming away with 6 wins.

Palace away, Olympiakos away, WBA away, Pool at home, Olympiakos at home, West Ham away.

Not easy games by any means, Pool at home being the most difficult, but if the players want to achieve anything this year, these 6 are very important games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    There's a distinction to be made between filling in at RB the odd time and buying a top class midfielder with the aim of converting him into a RB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Macca07 wrote: »
    I think a lot of midfielders are capable of playing right-back, Keane, Ince, Fletcher & Carrick have all played there for United, Gerrard played there for Liverpool. I'm not saying that they are natural right-backs, but they are often slotted in there if needed.

especially defensive type mids. even the other way around. look at lahm playing center mid for bayern. a lot of the same qualities are required for the positions. defensive mid and full back both need tactical awareness and the ability to pass the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Macca07 wrote: »
    Looking at our next 6 fixtures, we should really be coming away with 6 wins.

Especially since we are coming of the back of what was a horrible run of fixtures against the leagues biggest teams (Swansea, Sunderland, Swansea, Chelsea, Sunderland, Cardiff, Stoke, Fulham and Arsenal). We did very well to get anything at all from that lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    Where does Silva play for City? Just thinking last night, similar player to Mata and City have no problem with him playing with Aguero and Negredo. Should United be Utilizing Mata the same?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement