Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Macca07 wrote: »
    Looking at our next 6 fixtures, we should really be coming away with 6 wins.

Palace away, Olympiakos away, WBA away, Pool at home, Olympiakos at home, West Ham away.

Not easy games by any means, Pool at home being the most difficult, but if the players want to achieve anything this year, these 6 are very important games.

I really sorry, and I ike a bitof optimism as much as the next guy, but NOTHING that United have shown in recent months backs this prediction up IMO

Palace away - a tough fixture for any team. They are very solid and have bought well over the last few months.

Olympiakos away - could be difficult but we should get a result.

WBA away - the same WBA that drew 1-1 with City, Chelsea and Everton in their last three home games.

Olympiakos home - I'm hoping our European displays and a good performance will see us through.

Pool at home - the same Liverpool that are averaging about 2.5 goals per game up against a pretty static defense. We could beat Liverpool, but they could easily put 3 or 4 past us and inflict a humiliating defeat too.

West Ham United - One of the form team in the league and have shown they can shut up shop very well.

2 wins, 3 draws and a loss for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Pool at home - the same Liverpool that are averaging about 2.5 goals per game up against a pretty static defense. We could beat Liverpool, but they could easily put 3 or 4 past us and inflict a humiliating defeat too.

out of all the seasons that we have faced each other the one thing that stands true is that for this game; form goes out the window.

will go either way imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Not a chance we'll win our next 6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bullvine wrote: »
    Where does Silva play for City? Just thinking last night, similar player to Mata and City have no problem with him playing with Aguero and Negredo. Should United be Utilizing Mata the same?

Silva starts out wide when you see the teamsheet but drifts into the gap between the midfield and the strikers. City play an unusual style where they stack. They will leave whatever flank he starts on, pretty much exposed. He drifts infront of Toure who drives the ball forward to make the linkup, and either Garcia or Fernandinho sit behind, or in some cases when they go balls to the wall, nobody sits and they all go forward.

Issue we have is that we don't have midfielders that can drive the ball forward to the linkup. And I think City are more comfortable leaving the respective fullback exposed. I'd be weary of leaving Rafael or Evra solo in the current vein of form.

And to be fair, I'm not buying peoples tears of Mata's positioning just yet. He is starting on the wings but he's pretty much getting a license to roam through the middle wherever he wants. Pull up his heatgraphs, I'd be suprised if it showed him staying mainly to the side he started the game on, bar maybe the Arsenal game where defensive duties were required.

When you want to fit Rooney, RVP and Mata into the same lineup, one of them is going wide, and Mata has proved for Chelsea and Spain ( he won a trophy under 21's playing from the left afaik)that he can operate from the left and influence the game posititvely.

Also in other news, if Evra starts another game for United(or perhaps it's already activated) a clause kicks in from his contract, where he gets an automatic one year extension. No guarantees obviously that he won't go, but might be wise to hang onto him for another year while either a new LB beds in, given there might be an exodus of experience this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Agueroooo wrote: »
    out of all the seasons that we have faced each other the one thing that stands true is that for this game; form goes out the window.

will go either way imo

and to be fair liverpools away form is bad. we cant even keep a clean sheet ffs. i can see it being a score draw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Like to see Liverpool win the league??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    It's been a while since Liverpool turned up at Old Trafford. Comfortable victories the last few fixtures, last 2 seasons in the league it was a cakewalk, even the league cup game this season without our best players didn't cause much of a problem.
    Cue a f**king hammering in their favour :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Scholes coming out of retirment and destroying Gerrard was delight to see.

Should have won that game by more. Last season was ok.

Where does Silva play for City? Just thinking last night, similar player to Mata and City have no problem with him playing with Aguero and Negredo. Should United be Utilizing Mata the same?

silva usually plays off the right wing if nasri is playing, but he has a licence to roam as well as city generally have most of the possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It's been a while since Liverpool turned up at Old Trafford. Comfortable victories the last few fixtures, last 2 seasons in the league it was a cakewalk, even the league cup game this season without our best players didn't cause much of a problem.
    Cue a f**king hammering in their favour :pac:

The 2-1 game last season at Old Trafford? I remember some nervy moments at the end when we pretty much retreated into our own half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

v3ttel wrote: »
    Assuming you haven't just posted vomit without any sense of logic or reason, maybe you can give us some inside knowledge as to what Paul Scholes, Phil Neville, Ryan Giggs do in terms of coaching at the club, and specifically, what they are doing incorrectly, that has lead you to have you believe they will be United's downfall?

Not forgetting that, of those mentioned, Rio & Gary don't coach at all.

My point was a response to someone saying he hopes Vidic gets a coaching role. I was asking the same question you are. Read back before you comment.

No
    v3ttel wrote: »
    The 2-1 game last season at Old Trafford? I remember some nervy moments at the end when we pretty much retreated into our own half.
    They weren't even in the game for the majority, of course it will be nervy with only 1 in it but overall it was an easy win.

No
    They weren't even in the game for the majority, of course it will be nervy with only 1 in it but overall it was an easy win.

Was at that game and the last 30 mins was horrible... didn't Sturridge miss a sitter?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No
    16/1 to win the CL on paddy power.

Hahaha.
    Well we have a slightly better chance than Leverkusen.

No
    16/1 to win the CL on paddy power.

Hahaha.
    Well we have a slightly better chance than Leverkusen.

Those bookies forgot to add 00 in front of the six

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

IK09 wrote: »
    My point was a response to someone saying he hopes Vidic gets a coaching role. I was asking the same question you are. Read back before you comment.

I don't think you are asking the same question. You said "I reckon Utd's downfall will be employing giggs, (eventually) the nevilles, scholes, ferdinand, etc. as coaches" Where as I mentioned Vidic as part of a team of proven coaches and some ex players.

V3ttel is asking you where does your belief come from that ex players coaching at UTD will be our downfall? Where I just said I would welcome Vidic coaching at UTD. Its the opposite actually. I think one of our ex-players will make a good coach and you think a lot of our ex players will be our downfall.

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    Was at that game and the last 30 mins was horrible... didn't Sturridge miss a sitter?
    Thought it was a fairly routine victory myself. Liverpool only came into it at the end.

16/1 on utd for champions league is a fair price, on their night they will be a match for anyone especially if rvp and rooney are on fire.... Just look at the Madrid game last year when everyone wrote them off, nearly won in the bernabeu and were winning the return leg and imo would have won the game until the ref sent off nani

No
    The only thing is in Uniteds favour is the fact that if we do get to QF we can rest players in the league the Saturday/Sunday before the games as 4th spot is gone.

Its actually weird saying it. With that we might just have some chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    16/1 on utd for champions league is a fair price, on their night they will be a match for anyone especially if rvp and rooney are on fire.... Just look at the Madrid game last year when everyone wrote them off, nearly won in the bernabeu and were winning the return leg and imo would have won the game until the ref sent off nani

Last year we had a decent manager.

This year we have a manager who tells his players to get the ball to the byline and cross just keep doing that.

• Advertisement

Last year we had a decent manager.

This year we have a manager who tells his players to get the ball to the byline and cross just keep doing that.

"decent manager"
    stopped reading after that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Those bookies forgot to add 00 in front of the six

I think the nature of knockout football is different. While unlikely as it is, a poor, disjointed, poorly managed Chelsea side manage to beat Barcalona and Bayern to win the Champions league.

Greece won a European Championship from set pieces and defending.

Anything can happen.

Get through Olympiakos, build a bit of confidence. Who the **** knows?

It's the stuff of dreamland but it's not as far fetched as you'd imagine.

Personally feel Bayern will become the first team to successfully defend the Champions league ( Barca didn't right?) and will probably meet Madrid in the final.

But a 1/4 or 1/2 final showing the CL would have to be a success for Moyes and he should be credited. Especially with the teams league form. Regardless of all that's gone on, he navigated his first European foray with the club, through the CL group, with little difficulty, regardless of the group(we've lost to worse teams in the league).

Gas to think that was my major concern with Moyes, that our Champions league showings might be weak for a year or two, haha :D

I also don't think it will have an adverse affect on the ability to sign big players.

Bit players don't move somewhere with a view to a year, they are looking at a three year stint. I'd imagine this is being viewed as a hiccup, and that the assumption is we will be back top 4 come next season and back in the CL.

Mata joining, Rooney re-signing(although I'd never believed he would leave) is some indication that it's not as big a deal as some might make out. Sure it's **** no CL for a year, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it will have an adverse affect on the ability to sign big players.

Hazard chose Chelsea over us based on the Champions league win, full well knowing the club as a whole was in a dire state and was probably going to have a rough season ahead. But was looking somewhat longer then just the season in front.

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    I think the nature of knockout football is different. While unlikely as it is, a poor, disjointed, poorly managed Chelsea side manage to beat Barcalona and Bayern to win the Champions league.

Greece won a European Championship from set pieces and defending.

Anything can happen.

Get through Olympiakos, build a bit of confidence. Who the **** knows?

It's the stuff of dreamland but it's not as far fetched as you'd imagine.

Personally feel Bayern will become the first team to successfully defend the Champions league ( Barca didn't right?) and will probably meet Madrid in the final.

But a 1/4 or 1/2 final showing the CL would have to be a success for Moyes and he should be credited. Especially with the teams league form. Regardless of all that's gone on, he navigated his first European foray with the club, through the CL group, with little difficulty, regardless of the group(we've lost to worse teams in the league).

Gas to think that was my major concern with Moyes, that our Champions league showings might be weak for a year or two, haha :D

I also don't think it will have an adverse affect on the ability to sign big players.

Bit players don't move somewhere with a view to a year, they are looking at a three year stint. I'd imagine this is being viewed as a hiccup, and that the assumption is we will be back top 4 come next season and back in the CL.

Mata joining, Rooney re-signing(although I'd never believed he would leave) is some indication that it's not as big a deal as some might make out. Sure it's **** no CL for a year, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it will have an adverse affect on the ability to sign big players.

Hazard chose Chelsea over us based on the Champions league win, full well knowing the club as a whole was in a dire state and was probably going to have a rough season ahead. But was looking somewhat longer then just the season in front.

I hear ya.

Im in the glass half empty side these days.

I will just worry about beating Greek side first.

But if we do get over it yes you're right, we have a chance, a very slim one, but a chance.

Like I say because 4th spot is gone we might be able to rest players unlike what Fergie was able to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

Wasn't he rightback in that 3 - 2 comeback against Man city. Think he started his first couple of games as right back. Brian McClair and Mike Phelan were in centre midfield if memory serves me right around that time

Didnt keane play as a winger in the w.c qualifier against northern irl in belfast?

Can I be your bookie?

A quick Google gave 23/1 elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads been think this one over for a few days
    What would ye think of picking up Vermaelen and C-Ashley this summer for the defence??
    Dunno why Vermaelen is not playing at Arsenal and seems to be on the way out
    C-Ashley available on a free
    Are they worth a cheeky bid/offer??

most bookies have utd between 16-20/1 only one has them at 23/1.

Liverpool Chelsea both won champions leagues from nowhere and Monaco played porto 2004 final..... Dortmund got to final last year look at them now...

no reason with a bit of luck Utd cant win it (but I don't think they will........)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    Didnt keane play as a winger in the w.c qualifier against northern irl in belfast?

yeah, euro 96 qualifier, scored his first goal as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

Wasn't he rightback in that 3 - 2 comeback against Man city. Think he started his first couple of games as right back. Brian McClair and Mike Phelan were in centre midfield if memory serves me right around that time

No
    "decent manager"
    stopped reading after that....

no you didn't :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

IMO Mata plays/occupies similar positions. They start on the wing at least on the line up displayed but they play centrally. Difference is City as a team plays superb football on the other hand we play like Pulis managed Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I really sorry, and I ike a bitof optimism as much as the next guy, but NOTHING that United have shown in recent months backs this prediction up IMO

I said we should, never said we would win them, but I'd be hoping for a bit better than 2 wins in our next 6 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    brinty wrote: »
    What would ye think of picking up Vermaelen and C-Ashley this summer for the defence??

Can't see Arsenal getting rid of Vermaelen. He's a good player and great to have as backup. Unless he tries to force a move I can't see him leaving.

C-Ashley? Ashley Cole? No thank you. One of the most dislikable players in the league. On top of that he's on the wane the last year or so. Not worth it IMO. We'd be better served getting in a younger LB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

KH25 wrote: »
    Can't see Arsenal getting rid of Vermaelen. He's a good player and great to have as backup. Unless he tries to force a move I can't see him leaving.

He's trying to force a move. Apparently he's said hes leaving in the summer for definite. Cant say I blame him, he's barely featured for quite a while. If they win the league though, he might change his mind. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

No I think the last thing we need is an injury prone defender, we get enough injuries at the back as is. And Cole isn't the player he was, is one of my most despised players in football, and would only be yet another stop gap to solving a problem that's been growing bigger for three years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Kirby wrote: »
    He's trying to force a move. Apparently he's said hes leaving in the summer for definite. Cant say I blame him, he's barely featured for quite a while. If they win the league though, he might change his mind. :p

To be fair, Arsenal are playing very well at the back this season, Mertesacker and Koscielny are playing some good football, would be hard to change it for the sake of it.

I've always liked Vermaelen, but I don't think he is of the standard that we need right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So Pellegrini thinks City are the biggest club in Manchester,guess where the Barca fans visited?

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/ahead-of-manchester-city-game-barcelona-fans-flock-to-manchester-united-9137141.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

All this UCL optimism is fine, and I have been guilty of it myself but deep down we all know its going to take a miracle and I fear the worst.

If Moyes does a sit back and counter set up like he did away to Arsenal we might scrape past a team that is a close match. If we do a sit back and counter against a very tactically well organised team ie Bayern or Barca, they will prod and probe our defense and could get a handful of goals.

If Moyes tries the give it wide and wide and wide time after time tactic and instructs "everyone to cross it" we could be really given a lesson against one of the better teams as it will be very easy to set up against and stop. Factor in our non existent creativity in the middle, Evra's constant habit of not giving a toss and the poor form of our wide players plus some of our defenders, well than it could be a recipe for disaster. I mean a real lesson. A 7-1 Roma type lesson. It could be very ugly. That is my big fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You know what I still recon most teams in the CL would not like to draw us - with Rooney, Mata, RVP and Januzaj anything could happen and as Liverpool (Kew gets all excited :pac: ) proved in 2005 league form doesn't necessarily matter in Europe and I think the name alone "Manchester United" would still make them fear us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    My worry would be the fact our form is deteriorating over the last few weeks; we are getting worse, not better. So the idea we could somehow get past the quarters is one that doesn't even register for me. As much chance we will sign Messi and win the league...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My worry would be the fact our form is deteriorating over the last few weeks; we are getting worse, not better. So the idea we could somehow get past the quarters is one that doesn't even register for me. As much chance we will sign Messi and win the league...

I'm actually worried about getting a result at Palace,Champions League is another level again.

Although maybe we could decimate Continental teams with our barrage of crosses,they would have never come across such a tactic before:)

irishfeen wrote: »
    You know what I still recon most teams in the CL would not like to draw us - with Rooney, Mata, RVP and Januzaj anything could happen and as Liverpool (Kew gets all excited :pac: ) proved in 2005 league form doesn't necessarily matter in Europe and I think the name alone "Manchester United" would still make them fear us.

Are ye on the WUM???
    Mata is ineligible as he played for Chelsea
    Most clubs are going Adnan who??? He's a kid of 18 who's had a few good games but none recently...if we're pinning our hopes on Adnan winning us the CL we're in trouble!!!

zerks wrote: »
    I'm actually worried about getting a result at Palace,Champions League is another level again.

Although maybe we could decimate Continental teams with our barrage of crosses,they would have never come across such a tactic before:)
    :) - that's exactly what I was thinking, crossing doesn't really work in the PL because everyone does it so the defenders are used to it and are very well prepared for it.... to a Spanish defender it could be their worst nightmare.

Are ye on the WUM???
    Mata is ineligible as he played for Chelsea
    Most clubs are going Adnan who??? He's a kid of 18 who's had a few good games but none recently...if we're pinning our hopes on Adnan winning us the CL we're in trouble!!!
    Jaysus christ will we just roll up and concede defeat or what? - We are in the knockout stages of the CL on merit - granted lately we have been playing ****e but christ we can still dream and while highly unlikely Liverpool proved its not impossible.

Jaysus christ will we just roll up and concede defeat or what? - We are in the knockout stages of the CL on merit - granted lately we have been playing ****e but christ we can still dream and while highly unlikely Liverpool proved its not impossible.

Course we can dream but get your facts straight, Mata can't play CL and Januzaj is an 18 year old kid..

Course we can dream but get your facts straight, Mata can't play CL and Januzaj is an 18 year old kid..

19 years old...

My bad I forgot about Mata being cup tied, still recon we could give a few of the perceived "big boys" a scare in any knockout match.

My bad I forgot about Mata being cup tied, still recon we could give a few of the perceived "big boys" a scare in any knockout match.

It happens when your dreaming of success....;)
    Now when does that Ronaldo chap get back from Madrid...:eek::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement