Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supevalu / Centra Stores in Sligo

Options
  • 02-02-2014 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Just want other people advice on Musgrave's Supervalu and Centra stores in Sligo. We shop mostly in a Supervalu and occasionally in a Centra store in Co. Sligo, I have to say that both stores are well laid out and the staff are very pleasant.

However over the past say 6 months we have noticed that there seems to be issues arising with pricing and quality with in the Supervalu store that we visit, for instance on Thursday last we purchased a packet of round steak mince from the fridge, the bb4 date was 4/2/14 but when we opened it yesterday 1/2/14 it was well gone off if the smell was anything to go by, we have noticed this with a lot of their 'own brand' meat products.

We have returned these goods and got replacements with no hassle at all, but this is not the first time that we have purchased meat from Supervalu and had to return it well before it's sell by date.

On the pricing issue we have noticed that if they have something for sale as a special say for 4.99 when you get to the cash register the price is higher, maybe by a euro but none the less higher, this has happened across a broad range of goods, I would not really notice it but my wife who has a sharper eye than me has noticed it on a number of occasions. Has anybody else encountered this in either Supervalu or Centra??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

This can be common enough. I've had the over-priced thing loads of times, ie: when you get to the till, it higher than marked.

I'd say its not intentional, just a staffing issue. Not acceptable though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80696569

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    On the pricing issue we have noticed that if they have something for sale as a special say for 4.99 when you get to the cash register the price is higher, maybe by a euro but none the less higher, this has happened across a broad range of goods, I would not really notice it but my wife who has a sharper eye than me has noticed it on a number of occasions. Has anybody else encountered this in either Supervalu or Centra??

Most Centra stores (and, by extension, most Supervalues) have daily price updates sent out to them over their shared computer network. This file is selected and the updated SELS (the little price labels on the shelf) can be printed in short order and then put up on the shelf manually. Generally there aren't too many of these to do (probably 30-40 at most in a Centra) and it's a quick, relatively painless job (though obviously this is influenced by size of store, quality of staff etc).

The bulk of special offers updates are sent down through the computer system at midnight on a Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Once every three weeks (usually) there is a big promotional changeover with, typically, anywhere between 550-700 new SELS to be implemented with about half of these being new offers with lower prices on them and the remainder being the special offers from the previous promotional cycle going back to their normal price (not all stores will carry all of these products but they still have to be examined to make sure the right ones are put up). Sometimes items will slip through the cracks and the new SEL won't go up when or where it should for a variety of reasons that all fall under the 'human error' category. It shouldn't happen obviously and there are systems in place to try and minimise it but it will occur sometimes.

I don't know when it has happened to you (the days just after a promo changeover are probably most likely) but I'd recommend bringing it to the attention of staff at any time and they would almost certainly make sure you get it at the price indicated on the shelf as a matter of policy in most places I'd imagine.

And just to qualify I have nothing to do with any Centra/Supervalue in Sligo. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I always get a receipt in Centra now, I was over-charged 3 times in row in the same store in Sligo town recently. I said it to the staff member who couldn't care less, so I emailed Centra.ie to get an email address for this store but they never replied. Crap service.

And yes, it's usually the "Special Offers" that aren't so special after all.

I have my last receipt here. Brace yerselves:

Frosties
    Frosties
    Void Frosties
    Firelighters
    Milk
    Milk
    Butter
    Void Butter
    Milk
    Void Milk
    Milk
    Void Milk
    Milk
    Milk
    Butter
    Bread

Lol! Clear as mud eh?
    And that's how confusing it WITH A receipt!

I've no bloody idea if they over-charged me or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In fairness though, Centra will probably be always more expensive, due to the convenience of their stores.

Having lived beside one for a few years, I probably spent a fortune in it, I'd say profits were down when i moved, but probably also saved my self a bit of money.
    I have my last receipt here. Brace yerselves:

Frosties
    Frosties
    Void Frosties
    Firelighters
    Milk
    Milk
    Butter
    Void Butter
    Milk
    Void Milk
    Milk
    Void Milk
    Milk
    Milk
    Butter
    Bread

Lol! Clear as mud eh?
    And that's how confusing it WITH A receipt!

I've no bloody idea if they over-charged me or not...

How many cartoons of Milk did you come home with?

:D

• Advertisement

I came home with two milk.

And eight extra grey hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I used to do a fair bit of shopping in Supervalu in Ballisodare and Centra in Collooney. The price/overcharging issue has been there for quite a while so much so that I've just stopped going there. I only notice when I get home and whilst it is fierce annoying i really can't be arsed going back in for the sake of a euro each time. I honestly don't think it takes much work to take down all the special offer labels the morning after the offer ends but it doesn't seem to be done that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I generally go to the nearest SuperValu store that I'm passing and I have never noticed any issue with overcharging. But no matter where I shop, I'll always get a receipt and keep tabs on it. Now I have been overcharged in Centra and Dunnes Stores, but since I always check the receipt, I was able to go back inside and get an immediate refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I find supervalu stores in general to have poor quality/low grade products. They are definitely cheap, but pure rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Not sure if it really counts, but out of curiosity I was buying a packet of biscuits. They were on offer at 1.50. On a different shelf they had the same biscuits , the double pack with 100% extra free. Brought both up and asked for a price on them. The 100% extra free came in at 2.75.

I know it's not really the same thing, but stuff like that annoys me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Carson10 wrote: »
    I find supervalu stores in general to have poor quality/low grade products. They are definitely cheap, but pure rubbish.

Not sure about that. The home place does its week shop mostly in Supavalu, never had a problem with its fresh food or meat products.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Carson10 wrote: »

I couldnt ever knock the fresh meat counter. Everything I have had has been top quality and great value if you buy more of it when its on offer and freeze it. I wouldnt go anywhere else.:)

Advertisement