Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literature Reviewing / Journal Access

Options
  • 02-02-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

What is your preferred method for accessing journals?

When I learned to do a lit review as an undergrad I was on campus using pubmed. Journal access was instant.
    Now, doing an MSc, working and other commitments keen I am not on campus and need to use every opportunity I can to get stuff read. But finding a paper in pubmed, having to log into elesevier, then finding the next paper in wiley having to log in there is head wrecking! Also having log ins for my workplace and for my institution, each with different subscriptions, is annoying.

Does anyone know of a way to store your login and bypass the log in step?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I log into web of knowledge through the "off campus access" from the library webpage.

WOK has external links which remembers the log in to individual sites for my institution. Makes it easier.

I don't like pubmed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭seamonkey92

I think google scholar by passes that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You may want to check with your electronic librarian on campus to see if they have solutions to your remote access problem. Mine was most helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sullivlo wrote: »
    I log into web of knowledge through the "off campus access" from the library webpage.

Yes, same here. Log in once via the library homepage, only one username and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sciscitatio

We use a one page log in that give students access to the system from anywhere! So Hence, I have not come across this, but Id look at google scholar, I think it has a log-in point, that you could make use of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 EarnestH

My suggestion would be to download a bibliometric software either Endnote or Refworks. Both pieces of software can be configured to link up with databases such as the Web of Science or Scopus. You may even be able to link up with Google Scholar. With Endnote in particular, there is a URL included that links directly to source.

A literature review usually follows a funnel shaped pattern - start off broad, and then narrow down to a more specific set of studies. Personally, I use Google Scholar to start with, usually to find the latest articles on a topic. Unlike the web of science or Scopus, Google Scholar indexes articles that are in press, or that are in preprint form.

Once you know the landscape of the topic, you can use Web of Science and/or Scopus to to keyword searches. You can also use these tools to trace references backwards and forwards using citation data.

Advertisement