Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you decide/end up following your team?

• 02-02-2014 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

I got interested in football a little later than normal, around age 12 (1993). So, when I did, I had to pick a team. A lot of people in my school picked Man Utd, but I thought it was silly just to pick a team because they were winning, at the time, where's the fun in that? Also, I was put off by the fact that in school, everyone's pencil cases seemed to magically change from Liverpool to Man Utd, the year United won the first PL, despite the culprits denying this ever happened. I thought that was terribly fickle.

So, for the 93/94 season, I chose my team. Newcastle United. There was only one reason. I watched them play a game, and I loved their attacking style, with Cole and Beardsley up front. They played great football. I was sold.

How did you come to support your team?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Father used to bring me to Pats in the early 80s, i now bring my kids.

Because my dad did. First proper memory is Nayim from the halfway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I didn't choose them, they chose me.

I didn't choose them, they chose me.

Been watching Twilight again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Maybe say who you follow too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland.

I had no choice because of family. The same will happen to my kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Father used to bring me over once a month to watch them play, I got to see them play more when I was 10 than I do now, don't have kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I have family in Manchester. We used to 'visit' them during the year, but I think the real reason was to catch a United game. They won their first Premier League title the first year I went, so I was a very lucky kid. We would try to time it so we could get two games in during our visit. Usually it would be a Cup game at the weekend and then a League fixture mid-week. And this was during the school year. I'd return home with a new United jersey, after being to two games that week, and after meeting the likes of Eric Cantona and Andrei Kanchelskis at The Cliff. Everyone was so jealous. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was a glory hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Started supporting Man Utd when I was 10, in 1990.

My favourite colour is red and I loved the jersey :). That's the first reason I suppose that I started supporting them. Hughes, Irwin, Ryan Giggs and eventually Cantona coming on the scene had me hooked!

Kinda sad that now I'm desperate to see the back of Giggs playing career :(

• Advertisement

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I have family in Manchester. We used to 'visit' them during the year, but I think the real reason was to catch a United game. They won their first Premier League title the first year I went, so I was a very lucky kid. We would try to time it so we could get two games in during our visit. Usually it would be a Cup game at the weekend and then a League fixture mid-week. And this was during the school year. I'd return home with a new United jersey, after being to two games that week, and after meeting the likes of Eric Cantona and Andrei Kanchelskis at The Cliff. Everyone was so jealous. Good times.

During one visit to The Cliff my Da was trying to get me autographs and photos left right and centre. He was even calling over young lads and getting them to pose with me. I didn't know any of these guys, but years later I was going through the photos and there I am with a baby-faced Gary Neville. The level of access to players was crazy in those days. You could stand and watch them training. After that they'd come out and meet the fans. One day Cantona came out while it was spilling rain. He must have been there for an hour meeting people and standing for photos. Soaked to the bone. When the rain stopped the other players came out, but within 30 minutes they'd be gone home. But Cantona would still be there meeting everyone. A class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

When I was a kid around 6 years old in 1994, the two teams everyone supported were United or Liverpool. Being an awkward, stubborn yoke (even back then), I decided I wanted to support someone else, just because.

My older cousin supported Chelsea. I was an only child, so my older cousins were like brothers really. He began getting me into Chelsea at the time and that's how it started.

Back when I lived at home and could spend all my hard-earned on myself, I used to go over to England at least twice a month for games. Loved every minute of it. Now that I'm all grown up and in the big bad world and having to pay bills, I don't get over as often as I'd like.

In terms of an Irish team, I follow the closest team to me. Bray Wanderers. Go to games as often as I can and it's a good laugh.

I follow some teams from other leagues too, but not as passionately; Inter from Italy, Real Madrid from Spain (more due to hating Barcelona than anything, but how and ever) and Bayern from Germany. Wouldn't really go mad supporting any of them, but I keep an eye on them and watch games as much as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

DazMarz wrote: »
    When I was a kid around 6 years old in 1994, the two teams everyone supported were United or Liverpool. Being an awkward, stubborn yoke (even back then), I decided I wanted to support someone else, just because.

My older cousin supported Chelsea. I was an only child, so my older cousins were like brothers really. He began getting me into Chelsea at the time and that's how it started.

Back when I lived at home and could spend all my hard-earned on myself, I used to go over to England at least twice a month for games. Loved every minute of it. Now that I'm all grown up and in the big bad world and having to pay bills, I don't get over as often as I'd like.

In terms of an Irish team, I follow the closest team to me. Bray Wanderers. Go to games as often as I can and it's a good laugh.

I follow some teams from other leagues too, but not as passionately; Inter from Italy, Real Madrid from Spain (more due to hating Barcelona than anything, but how and ever) and Bayern from Germany. Wouldn't really go mad supporting any of them, but I keep an eye on them and watch games as much as I can.

I hate Barca too. The Lance Armstrong of football. Holier than thou ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

When I was 9 Juninho signed for Middlesbrough and there was a big deal made of it at the time so I have been following them since about 1995. Ravenelli signed a season later and they had a fantastic team getting to both the FA cup and League cup finals that season, unfortunately losing both and also getting relegated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

I was 6 (1994-ish), my dad, uncle, grandad, best friend and best friend's dad all supported Man United. They were winning everything and they had David Beckham, Roy Keane, and Dennis Irwin. It was all just so appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Went home and away with Chelsea because that's who my dad supported, and he paid, not cheap with all the travelling down to London. When I had to pay for myself, and was old enough to go by myself, I went home and away with Northampton Town, because that's where I was born, and there is still a connection of sorts with players and management etc in the lower leagues, that's not there at Chelsea or other "top" teams. Reverse trophy hunting you might call it. Who needs cups and European success when you can be 92nd in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Family. Not like I had a choice.

Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I fancied the pants off David Beckham so I started supporting Manchester United. I also loved jersey with the collar that Cantona wore so fabulously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

How can I beat that ^^^^^^^^^

An impressionable 7 year old, Arsenal v's Ipswich 1978 FA Cup Final. Decided I liked Arsenal because they lost !! A proud Gooner for nearly 40 years now and thankfully the father son thing has worked for me with my lads.

Imagine if Arsenal had won that day? I'd be an Ipswich fan :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

My parents honeymoon was to old Trafford to see George Best play. My grandfather went over when no one in Ireland did. There was no choice in who I supported.

My father passed when I was very young but my older brother made sure I followed the family tradition. I will always support united no matter what as will all of my children.

We'll never die.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Couple kids in my estate used to follow Liverpool and I ended up following them too, starting in the early 90s. They had a few Irish players too so that helped the decision along.

Following Bohemians only a few years now. Not from Dublin, just wanted to follow a LOI side and a co-worker was going to their matches so went along. Glad I did too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When I was in secondary school I decided that being at a football match week-in and week-out chanting and being part of an atmosphere might be a bit of a better buzz than watching MOTD and slagging other lads in the class because a team from England beat another team from England! I went to Dalymount to see Bohemians and I kept going back ever since. Being only a bus ride away really helped the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd have watched Ireland games way before I'd have watched Newcastle games but I started getting into club football because of my best mate in primary school who supported Newcastle.

Being young and impressionable I followed him and here I am. He's since changed to Chelsea though and whenever I see him (rarely) I'd slag him about it.

I also support Bohemians. Went to a Europa League game with a mate as we'd nothing to do of a Thursday night. The following week was my first league attendance V Derry City. Think we lost but I don't really remember. Remember it feeling like a surreal experience. Due to watching live football and having only attended Ireland games previously the lack of crowd/atmosphere felt so bizarre.

I kept going back every so often until I eventually started going regularly. Never fully felt something for the club until the 4-0 V Shamrock Rovers. The passion/atmosphere was just incredible and I finally felt like I belonged to it.

Started going to away games last season and got my first season ticket and despite nearly getting relegated I wouldn't trade going to live games for the world. Met some great people and colourful characters.

Roll on March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Followed Man Utd as a kid because most of my friends did, but when I was 11 I went to a Pats game as they were playing Southampton, Pats won 2-1 and over the next few years I became more of a pats fan and less of a Man Utd fan, stopped following a specific English team around age 16 but still continue to watch the league.

Also started watching Italian football in the Mid 90's on C4, still watch a lot of Italian football (Milan in particular) but would always identify myself as a Pats fan first.

Dad was a Chelsea fan but never pushed me towards them he incidentally stopped supporting them post Abromovic, a kind of reverse glory hunter or glutton for punishment possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Copy and pasted bits from a previous post ,

I was lucky I began to support Liverpool FC right around 1971/72 .
    It was the time Leeds Utd had an awesome team ... The likes of
    Peter Lorimer, Eddie Gray,, Allan Clarke, Norman Hunter, Frank Gray.
    Terry Yorath, Trevor Cherry,

Those days were really "hard" games , makes the Stoke team of today look like pu$$ies

How i started supporting them ?

I just loved Keegan and Toshack up front ( The SAS of the70's ) :D

It was 72 they won the Fa Cup ( Leeds )
    It was 1974 we won it with the great team we had then .

Clemence,
    Smith,
    Lindsay,
    Thompson,
    Cormack,
    Hughes,
    Keegan,
    Hall,
    Heighway,
    Toshack,
    Callaghan

The GREAT Bill Shankly stunned the world when he announced his retirement that summer !!

I have some really fantastic memories of those glory days .
    I suppose Istanbul 2005 is something you can all remember ?

YNWA
    Always has been that way and Always will for Liverpool supporters !

Important in life to have balance tho

Appreciate other people support and love THIER teams as much as you love your club, and ENJOY the banter between rival clubs and fans :) :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I grew up 5 minutes from Dalymount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Never liked football Dad and Bros supported Liverpool mate supported Spuds- GG's anti football Arsenal the perfect fit as I grew to like footie AW came along

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Went to a game, liked it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I grew up 5 minutes from Dalymount.

LoL Niall , that was handy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It's amazing how many people, myself included, are influenced by family in the likes of Liverpool & Manchester. The relations in the likes of Doncaster, Cornwall or Grimsby don't seem to exert the same sort of influence

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people, myself included, are influenced by family in the likes of Liverpool & Manchester. The relations in the likes of Doncaster, Cornwall or Grimsby don't seem to exert the same sort of influence

My sarcasm detector is starting to tingle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I started getting interested in football around 1992 when I'd run home from school to tune into Eurogoals and watch Ajax murder everyone in sight. They're still the most exciting team I've seen in all my years.

I feel for Liverpool under Roy Evans because they were so exciting and stylish at the time, and Fowler, Mcmanaman, Barnes were just amazing. I must admit that if I had started watching the premier league in Houllier or Benitez' time, I would probably have supported someone else. I'm glad we are back playing with an offensive attitude under Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Watched the 1979 cup final where United came back from 2-0 down to equalize, only for Arsenal to get a last minute winner.
    It was the fight back that did it for me.
    Being following United since.
    FA cup still gets me exited more than any other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Cousin was playing for the youths at the time, so it made sense really. Plus was good friends with Paul McGrath and hooked me up with loads of signed stuff

Edit: villa fan btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Old fella used to wax lyrical about Georgie Best and Bobby Charlton. Then I got some annual for Christmas with GB on the cover and an interview inside with Alex Stepney. Been United for me ever since. And no hint of glory hunting about it - we were relegated that year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was obsessed with the Irish national team after Italia '90 and wasn't really aware of english club football for a couple of years afterwards. I remember someone bought me a pair of Liverpool sweat bands so I was tinkering with following them. I really like Dean Saunders and when he moved to Villa I realised that they had McGrath, Staunton, Houghton and Townsend playing for them I decided to support them as it almost felt like supporting the Irish team. After they beat Manchester United in the 1994 League Cup Final I was hooked. Apart from the 1996 League Cup it's pretty much been all downhill from there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Still haven't seen a 'Because they were the best' post in here. Come on lads there has to be some of you out there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭secman

Best, Law, Charlton. ..... 3 good reasons. My LOI team is Pats.. moved to Inchicore In 63 age 6 , Kevin Blount was the keeper. ..Mo Shiels..
    RICHER only down the road....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Because they were the best.

Before I was born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I support(ed) 3 teams. Shelbourne, Juventus and Wimbledon, all started around 1992.
    In secondary school (north dublin city centre) everyone supported Bohs or Shels. Could have picked either, but for some reason I picked Shels.
    Juventus was purely because Roberto Baggio played with them, and he's probably still my all time favourite player.
    Wimbledon (my first team) because everyone in school supported United or Liverpool. Villa were popular at the time cos they had a load of irish players, leeds were popular enough too. I asked who was the least popular team, and wimbledon were mentioned. Supported them for years, but after they converted to AFC wimbledon I lost interest and never got it back. I like watching the premiership as a neutral, funny reading threads on here seeing how biased people are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Blue was my favourite colour, and i though Zola was a funny name so i supported Chelsea. I was 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

8 years old, May 1984, watching UEFA Cup Final in my Granddad's house. I backed the team in white, with Hoddle, Ardiles and the rest. 30 years of ups and downs, but never regretted it for a moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Watched the 1979 cup final where United came back from 2-0 down to equalize, only for Arsenal to get a last minute winner.

Was going to type this story exactly so cheers for saving me the time. I know with the telly full of soccer now and everyone being able to see every single goal scored by their team my greatest memories in the eighties were radio 5 live match commentaries. The European night where utd beat Barcelona led by Maradona 3-0 after losing first leg 2-0 probably my favourite memory of them all. Ah simpler times i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Was going to type this story exactly so cheers for saving me the time. I know with the telly full of soccer now and everyone being able to see every single goal scored by their team my greatest memories in the eighties were radio 5 live match commentaries. The European night where utd beat Barcelona led by Maradona 3-0 after losing first leg 2-0 probably my favourite memory of them all. Ah simpler times i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

McGrath, Staunton, Townsend, houghton.

My Da was actually at that game and he met Maradona in the City the morning after. Simpler times indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm a glory hunter. Hopped onto the Dave Sexton Silverware Bandwagon in 1978, never looked back :p

Every other kid in school, and I mean every other kid, supported LFC and I didn't want to be the same as them. I was vaguely aware that MUFC were a big club who had success in the past. Kinda like now :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I grew up playing GAA and never knew about club football, apart from Celtic, until i went to secondary school. Then i'd started playing football and "had" to have and English team, so i picked the most successful one with a local connection, which luckily for me was Blackburn (could have been Leeds), Blackburn won a title a year or 2 later.

No real interest in English football anymore, still watch it, but don't feel pressured into supporting a team, still love Celtic, the way they play, the fans, the songs, the camaraderie. Keep an eye out for Sheff Weds and Shrewsbury out of local interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Lived in Glasgow for a year when I was 12 & fell in love with Celtic.

Also im 10 mins down the road from Dalymount but I haven't been to a game since I left secondary school...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

The coolest kid in my primary school class started supporting Newcastle so a few of us copied him. He doesn't care about soccer anymore while the rest of us are stuck with Joe Kinnear and co :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement