Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arklow with a young family

• 02-02-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi we're moving from Dublin to Arklow in a month or so (me, husband & baby son). I plan on childminding or finding work as a Montessori teacher (fingers crossed!).

I'd love to know are there any parent & baby groups? Any other classes, groups etc. I've not seen any online apart from in Wicklow or Bray. I'd love to bring Finn to a music or Spanish class and meet some other parents.

Also are there any particularly good or bad parts of town to live?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

Arklow people will be along to string me up for this, but I'd drive the extra 10 minutes to Gorey to live, far superior town in every way. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rmkfda

Arklow people will be along to string me up for this, but I'd drive the extra 10 minutes to Gorey to live, far superior town in every way. Sorry

Thanks, we've no car so no driving anywhere...but iv heard that said before. We're looking at houses in both towns in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I live in Arklow and have a young family and we absolutely love it here. There's loads for kids to do and all normally within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

I live in Arklow and have a young family and we absolutely love it here. There's loads for kids to do and all normally within walking distance.

ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

rmkfda wrote: »
    Thanks, we've no car so no driving anywhere...but iv heard that said before. We're looking at houses in both towns in a few weeks.

To be honest both towns are pretty similar, but the difference in drive/commute if travelling to Dublin after a while gives Arklow the edge IMO
    Best of luck I moved down this way about 8 years ago and love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

aras lorcain has a parent toddler group every wed & fri morning at 10. I bring my little fella to it and he loves it. its €4

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

If you don't have a car north side of Arklow is probably best. Anywhere in templerainey, ferrybank or sea road areas. You will be within walking distance of most of the amenities you will need. Parks, playgrounds, sports facilities, leisure club, swimming pools, cinema, shopping centre, supermarkets, doctor, pharmacy, bus stops, pre schools and primary schools.
    Gorey is a nice town too, it has a busy high street but is very much lacking in amenities or employment opportunities.

You should try and spend some time in the places you intend to live. At least a full day in each area. Walk or cycle around and get a good feel for the place, its people and the sense of community.

Best of luck.

Advertisement