Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermarest mattress advise..

Options
  • 02-02-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi Folk! Looking for a decent Thermarest mattress. Have been looking at the Trail Pro model online L size. I'm 6ft tall and weight 12.5 st. All season mattress even better as will be used in Ireland and Canary islands. Prefer something with decent thickness as I'm a light sleeper as it is! Also easy to backpack / hike with!

Any recommendations, advise or if anyone has a second hand one lying around then I'd appreciate your feedback!

Go raibh míle!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hi

You can't go wrong with the Neoair I have the trekker All season
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/neoair-all-season/product
    It very comfy and also tough, some of the other models you have to be careful what surface you use them on, but you should always use some sort of ground sheet if you can. Best bit is these are made in Ireland, so supporting local jobs!
    Your about the same dimensions as me, I've used this locally as well as on foreign trips, it packs small (slight bigger than a 1L nalgene) but will be wider than your shoulders and long enough that your feet won't hang off the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

hick wrote: »
    Hi

You can't go wrong with the Neoair I have the trekker All season
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/neoair-all-season/product
    It very comfy and also tough, some of the other models you have to be careful what surface you use them on, but you should always use some sort of ground sheet if you can. Best bit is these are made in Ireland, so supporting local jobs!
    Your about the same dimensions as me, I've used this locally as well as on foreign trips, it packs small (slight bigger than a 1L nalgene) but will be wider than your shoulders and long enough that your feet won't hang off the end.

Thanks Hick! We may have a winner already! Now where to get it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

So you can get it from the bricks and motor store, the guys in the Great Outdoors are more than helpful
    it's about 120 - 130 most places
    http://www.alpinesports.ie/bivi-gear/sleeping-mats/thermarest-neoair-all-season.html

Of course you can get it on amazon for a few bob less, I had a problem with one of mine (original one not this one) sent it back to cascade designs in cork and they sent me a new one, no quibble!

By the way I got the regular

hick wrote: »
    So you can get it from the bricks and motor store, the guys in the Great Outdoors are more than helpful
    it's about 120 - 130 most places
    http://www.alpinesports.ie/bivi-gear/sleeping-mats/thermarest-neoair-all-season.html

Of course you can get it on amazon for a few bob less, I had a problem with one of mine (original one not this one) sent it back to cascade designs in cork and they sent me a new one, no quibble!

By the way I got the regular

Thanks! I'll buzz folk in Great Outdoors tomorrow! Specs look ideal especially thickness! I'll be getting the L size.

I actually rang Cascade Designs in Cork and they were very helpful! They have recommended the Trail Scout and the Prolite plus for my requirements. Also the trail pro from a comfort point of view. They said the Neo air is great but very techy! And if punctured, one will be sleeping directly on the ground rather then on foam. This is something worth considering however all these models look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I got a Thermorest scout trail regular. Its comfortable but was a little surprised how much space it takes up folded. to protect the bottom of it I got a reflective car screen , should help the thermal quality of it too

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

After going through foam and then thermarest prolite I bought a neoair last year .... Without a doubt the best piece of camping equipment I own ...

Advertisement