Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF are you supposed to do?!!

Options
  • 02-02-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Today my aunt had her little dog attacked by a greyhound. Walking the little fella on Carthages avenue she was. He's an old dog, nearly blind. Two greyhounds out and about without leads or owners decided to set upon him out of nowhere. One of them in particular wouldn't let go of the poor dogs little leg. He was terrified, as was my aunt. She said he was whimpering and crying in terror.
    A man and his daughter stopped in their car and helped her to get the dogs away and they took the dog to safety. My poor aunt in her panic can only remember that the dog who wouldn't let go was a black greyhound.
    They rang the guards who told them it wasn't for them to deal with so they should ring the pound. My aunt rang the pound and guess what? No answer. So she rang the WSPCA. Guess what? No answer.
    What the hell are you supposed to do?
    It's a bloody disgrace! From all angles!!!
    What wonderful people to stop and help though. She's so grateful to them.
    Thanks for reading guys. My aunt is so upset about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Ring the WSPCA and the pound in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joni1

Oh that's so horrible. The poor little dog - and your aunt. Would you think about ringing the Billy McCarthy show in the morning? Just to alert other dogwalkers in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

crustybla wrote: »
    They rang the guards who told them it wasn't for them to deal with

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I've sent an email to Billy McCarthy too. I'm in rant mode about this. I mean ok, it wasn't a child they attacked (well one dog in particular attacked) but it was a little dog and my aunt had a 5 year old (my son) with her. What are you supposed to do? I'll never bring my dog out without a stick from now on and by fcuk will I use it if I have to. I'll have no choice as it seems no one in any kind of authority cares.

Luckily my little son is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Jaysus.

The cops are too busy going around doing people for incorrect font on their number plates....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've sent an email to Billy McCarthy too. I'm in rant mode about this. I mean ok, it wasn't a child they attacked (well one dog in particular attacked) but it was a little dog and my aunt had a 5 year old (my son) with her. What are you supposed to do? I'll never bring my dog out without a stick from now on and by fcuk will I use it if I have to. I'll have no choice as it seems no one in any kind of authority cares.

Luckily my little son is fine.

I wouldn't bring the stick, use it on someone else's dog and I'm sure you'll be picked up!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Today my aunt had her little dog attacked by a greyhound. Walking the little fella on Carthages avenue she was. He's an old dog, nearly blind. Two greyhounds out and about without leads or owners decided to set upon him out of nowhere. One of them in particular wouldn't let go of the poor dogs little leg. He was terrified, as was my aunt. She said he was whimpering and crying in terror.
    A man and his daughter stopped in their car and helped her to get the dogs away and they took the dog to safety. My poor aunt in her panic can only remember that the dog who wouldn't let go was a black greyhound.
    They rang the guards who told them it wasn't for them to deal with so they should ring the pound. My aunt rang the pound and guess what? No answer. So she rang the WSPCA. Guess what? No answer.
    What the hell are you supposed to do?
    It's a bloody disgrace! From all angles!!!
    What wonderful people to stop and help though. She's so grateful to them.
    Thanks for reading guys. My aunt is so upset about this.

That's such a horrible thing to have happened to your aunt. The 3 of them must have been absolutely terrified. I hope they are OK now.

I can only speak from own experience many years ago when I was attacked by a dog - The guards don't care in the slightest and the pound only slightly more so. We got no joy in getting the dog put down even though it had attacked me (an 8 year old) and another man (separately) without any provocation. I'm not sure what happened the dog but it disappeared not long afterwards but not through any official means. That's not me being cryptic I genuinely don't know what happened the dog but we had no joy it getting anything done.

In recent years there has been a dog terrorising someone I know anytime they go for a walk. They asked the neighbour to keep the dog in but was met with the typical attitude that the dog is harmless. It's only a small dog (about the size of a terrier) but it's a narky little thing and keeps snapping at them. Anyway they got their son to go with them for a walk and when the dog came out of its usual spot to have a go it was met with a 9 iron in the face. I don't believe there has been any trouble with said dog again.

I know this doesn't apply to your aunt as the greyhounds were probably just passing through the area at the wrong time and she more than likely doesn't want to go bringing a weapon with her on a walk but it's terrible when you have to take matters into your own hands because there is no official avenue that cares!

Where I live (countryside) there are 5 dogs roaming freely across the road from me. Myself and my wife both like dogs and have no problem with them visiting us. They are harmless and actually get on well with our cat. I don't agree that they should be roaming freely though as they could be really upsetting for someone with a fear of dogs. I'm not familiar with the laws on this but I assume you are required to keep dogs contained, even in the countryside, in a garden, dog run, etc?

I think I read somewhere that the laws regarding dogs are rather loose, I think you have to have them on a lead at all times unless you can control them. I could be completely wrong on that, as far as I knew they are supposed to always be on the lead unless they're running free in a field away from people on a walk or something.

Awful thing to have happened Lassykk, I had a dog bite my arm when I was a child but luckily I had a thick coat on and his teeth didn't go through.

I'll ring my aunt in a while and see how poor Cal is. She said last night he hadn't stirred from his bed since they got home. Bless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jeez as much as I love dogs, I hate hearing stories like this.

I hope your Aunt, cousin and their dog is ok OP.

We have had dogs all through the years at home and while on our property, they are fiercely protective of us when strangers come around.
    Once they see them being accepted by us, they are fine and its like they are one of the family.

However we never let them roam free but they have been attacked a few times by a particularly nasty neighbours dog.
    I make a point of having a stick of some sort with me when walking for such very reason.

Id be ringing the gardai again OP and asking if a 5 year old child was attacked by the same dogs, then would it be their problem???

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Those 2 greyhounds were wandering around Gracedieu yesterday at around 4.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Stray dogs are the responsibility of the dog warden.

The WSPCA are a voluntary organisation, and have no power to seize dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Ring the council for the dog warden

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Hi there,

I'm the one who stopped to help your auntie - my dad was the real hero, was terrified for him going in with his bare hands. I had a good look at Cal and physically he seemed fine but the dog had quite a grip so he's bound to be sore. Felt so sorry for him and your aunt, i was shaking. It was all just a blur.

Just to clarify, the garda i spoke to was very nice and didn't deny responsibility; he said he'd get on to the animal welfare which he did, they came up around but didn't find them. I also called WLR as they had two missing greyhounds posted on their lost and found. I saw on Facebook later they had attacked a cat in Gracedieu. Hope they're caught soon.

Best wishes to your aunt; could have been a much worse outcome. Proof if ever it were needed that my Dad is superman :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Well done Littlecat and Daddycat.

Great username - hats off to molecular orbital theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

littlecat wrote: »
    Great username - hats off to molecular orbital theory!

:D:D

any upadate on the greyhounds?

homolumo wrote: »
    :D:D

any upadate on the greyhounds?

Not a word - keeping an eye to the post on Waterford Animal Welfare from the girl whose cat was attacked but there's been nothing. Might give them a bell tomorrow; shudder to think they might still be on the loose.

Hi Littlecat, great to hear from you. Thanks for clarifying that about the Guards and thank you so much for helping out. Yes, your Dad is Superman! My aunt is so grateful to you both, as am I.
    Cal is fine physically but she said he's not himself. He's still eating like a horse and going on his walks but he's nervous, as I suppose he's bound to be.
    Do you know if the cat is ok? These two were well up for a bit of hunting weren't they?!

Hi Littlecat, great to hear from you. Thanks for clarifying that about the Guards and thank you so much for helping out. Yes, your Dad is Superman! My aunt is so grateful to you both, as am I.
    Cal is fine physically but she said he's not himself. He's still eating like a horse and going on his walks but he's nervous, as I suppose he's bound to be.
    Do you know if the cat is ok? These two were well up for a bit of hunting weren't they?!

Hiya! The last post from the girl whose cat was attacked said she hadn't been able to examine it as it was semi wild but she found blood in the shed they went into.

Hope poor Cal will perk up, great sign he's eating at least, he's such a little dote. Must have been a shock to be fired into the back of a stranger's car too!

Just so relieved everyone's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Fair play for stopping, many people wouldn't have. Your Dads a hero!

• Advertisement

Absolutely Brian, wonderful people!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Anyone know if the dogs turned up, I saw 2 greyhounds on bilberry road tonight by the halting site.

One was black and the other seemed to be brown / white couldn't be sure as I only saw them for a second.

I haven't heard anything about them since. I know the one who attacked Cal was black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Hi all. I was passing through Kilbarry on tuesday evening and saw a black grey hound around the halting site entrance. I pass through there often enough and it was the first time i saw this particular black grey hound, It stuck out because it was so black i remember thinking that dog is gonna be hit by a car so i flashed the cars in front of me to be cautious. dont know if this helps but feel i had to pass the info on.

hearny wrote: »
    Anyone know if the dogs turned up, I saw 2 greyhounds on bilberry road tonight by the halting site.

One was black and the other seemed to be brown / white couldn't be sure as I only saw them for a second.

Second hound was indeed white with brown patches and was very disinterested in what was going on. My Dad reckoned even the black one wasn't vicious per se, hung on but no snarling or anything and didn't try to attack him. Seemed to be just used to gripping small animals between his teeth, charming eh? Poor greyhounds, to be trained to be like that instead of being curled up by the fire with a chew toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I saw a black greyhound again by the halting site, think he had a brown patch on his chest so it may not be the same one, he is almost impossible to see in the dark so will not last too long on that road unfortunately.

Its their natural instinct to hunt, I have whippet that will chase any animal that moves in a hurry.

He chases dogs too if we meet any in the fields but playfully.

He even chased a horse around a field with the horse trying to kick him as he ran, No matter how much I chased and called after him he would not come back, he only stopped when the horse landed a kick.

I can't seem to train it out of him, he is a rescue dog that was fairly badly treated so its hard to discipline him.

Advertisement