Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing ewes

• 02-02-2014 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

How long before the due date, do people house their ewes in a lowland setup ? Mine are due the 1st April and I was going to house them a week before hand, in a bid to minimise disease and keep them healthy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

How long before the due date, do people house their ewes in a lowland setup ? Mine are due the 1st April and I was going to house them a week before hand, in a bid to minimise disease and keep them healthy.

Mine are due the same time and I would also house them about 10 days before that to allow for a few early ones. Its just easier to feed when there out thats my reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

sea12 wrote: »
    Mine are due the same time and I would also house them about 10 days before that to allow for a few early ones. Its just easier to feed when there out thats my reason.

Mine due from mid march, but same as Sea. Bring em in bout a week to 10 days beforehand, as its just easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

As long as they're on the same diet there should be no problem, some times a change in diet in the last few weeks can bring on twin lamb disease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Find that the longer you leave them out the easier they are to lamb.Saying that,have all my early and February/March lambing ewes housed at the moment.

The way the weather has been for the last two winters its easier on man and sheep(and grass!) to have them in under cover.Beet tops have become nearly a thing of the past around here since the sugar industry ended.One time used to take lots of these from pure tillage men and was an excellent way of running ewes for the winter whilst saving up grass covers at home.

If you are anyways heavily stocked with sheep or have big numbers(not to mention poaching!) then don't see any option but to house ewes.

Even so have hoggets and ewe lambs out on grass at home still.Conditions aint good to say the least as they are confined to a couple of fields.
    Bit depressing looking at wet dirty sheep huddled around silage feeders at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Bit depressing looking at wet dirty sheep huddled around silage feeders at the moment.

Thats what i'm looking at !:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement