Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever got caught speeding?

• 02-02-2014 8:21pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can't say I've ever seen a bike pulled in but I'm guessing it happens sometimes? I nearly got caught by a van on the blessington road a while back but thankfully someone flashed to warn us. Just wondering how often it actually happens?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Yup about 10 years back at the strawberry beds in Dublin. Cop on a bike was hiding behind a pillar in ........ the Garda boat club lol.

Was doing 80 in a 60. Genuinely thought it was 80. Cop was sound, but still gave me a ticket.

Eidt - A fiend of mine got done on his moped around the same time. He was doing 33mph in a 30 zone lol. Only guy ever to get a ticket on a moped I reckon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Can't say I'v ever been caught speeding, sure I hardly ever see speedtraps anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Yes, got caught on the M9 few month back.
    Lovely dry and clear Sunday evening, no traffic.

I was definitely speeding.
    Garda that stopped me was very professional.
    Got points and fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

they've only caught me twice,
    once just before the penalty points came in doing 85 mph coming into loughrea at arround midnight,
    second was going into carlow from kilkenny, overtook a few cars and bus fairly lively, on e of the cars was unmarked.
    o and a summons to court in Scotland for speeding, pulled in by merc camera car. caught me at 85 again under heavy breaking,
    speed was a lot higher.
    [IMG][/img]rbktau.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Thankfully, no.

Been on bikes about 10 years now and husband has been on bikes about 25 years and neither of us have ever gotten points or a fine. Himself has been stopped a few times by the local cops but it has always been the "ah sure you're grand" attitude. I've been stopped once, got a lecture about what I was wearing :rolleyes: but nothing serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Strituck wrote: »
    doing 33mph in a 30QUOTE]

Was it a camera or did he get pulled over?

If he got pulled over the cop must have been having a ****ty day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nope, I'm too fast for 'em :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

got two points on the stillorgan dual carriageway last July. silly boy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got done by a fixed camera between Blanchardstown and Finglas on the M50 on the way to Joey Dunlop's funeral. 88MPH in a 70. Speedo was showing about 95. No points then!

Of course everyone else on the road knew about that camera and braked at the right spot, but I never used the northern half of the M50 at that time, so like a dope I got done.

A few years later I was at a bike rally down in the far end of Co. Waterford, was in no rush and super careful with speed limits all weekend. On the way home, most of the group stopped for a smoke (I don't) so I carried on, on my own on the way out of Waterford city just as the dual carriageway started I thought the speed limit had gone up to 50MPH, bike cop was perfectly hidden in an entrance on a gentle left hand curve, got me at 44MPH and the limit was still 30. A 'trap' if ever there was one. That was the only points I ever had.

When I lived out that way in the late 90s/early 00s I got pulled over on the N11 a couple of times for a telling off. A few years later, the speed limit went up where I'd been pulled :rolleyes:

But - that's it. It's not like I never speed any more, but I do it to a lesser amount and less often and am careful on roads I don't know. On roads I do know, it's easy enough to figure out where a van can be parked and where a cop can hide with a laser (and on a city commute you can't gain much anyway.)

And on family duties on the weekend in the cage, I never speed. There's no point, if I'm putting my licence at risk it might as well be fun, and driving a cage at any speed is never fun.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Eidt - A fiend of mine got done on his moped around the same time. He was doing 33mph in a 30 zone lol. Only guy ever to get a ticket on a moped I reckon. :)
    Happened my brother too. He'll be glad to hear hes not the only one!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I have false plates in my car ,I don't know who gets the ticket
    s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nope, I'm too fast for 'em :p

1FfYkAU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Got a ticket two weeks after having my first 600 cc bike, Naas road toward town, I was going 90+Km/h when limited 60 km/h. 80 euros and 2 points.. The police man was not a bad man at all but still gave me the ticket for speeding (I didn't have neither roadtax nore L plates)

There actually is a cop very often on that road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

bluefinger wrote: »
    got two points on the stillorgan dual carriageway last July. silly boy really.

Same as but two years ago. Was doing 85km or so on a sunny Sunday morning with hardly any traffic. Cop stepped out onto the road and I was very tempted to just drop a gear :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

PlayerA wrote: »
    Got a ticket two weeks after having my first 600 cc bike, Naas road toward town, I was going 90+Km/h when limited 60 km/h. 80 euros and 2 points.. The police man was not a bad man at all but still gave me the ticket for speeding (I didn't have neither roadtax nore L plates)

There actually is a cop very often on that road.
    That road used to be a disaster, the speed limit changed about 20 times between dublin and naas because of roadworks which they were doing for years. Thank fúck for the ryder cup, they finally had to get their arse in gear and finish the damn thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Driving bikes 15 years now, never stick to the speed limits and I've never gotten a ticket or been pulled !!!

GOD, I LOVE IRELAND !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Never got done thankfully, I only tend to move on when its fairly open and would not be tearing around towns and villages anyway. Funny I go a hell of alot quicker on the bike then the cage and I have been done twice in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Yeah he was pulled in, by a Guard on a bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Originally Posted by Strituck View Post

http://www.koreus.com/video/motard-arrete-gendarme.html

Pulled over by a french cop having a ****ty day...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Got pulled into the centre of the road on the Sean Moore road, on the way back from a spin last summer, was roasting out and the first stretch in ages with no traffic, doing 77kph in a 50kph zone, two Garda were there one playing hard man (rightfully as we were speeding) other one was a bit chattier, talked about bikes for a few minutes and sent us on our way.
    Was a bit mortifying starting up my vtwin with load pipes on a bike with a dodgey plate beside the Garda but nothing was said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Nope, I'm a law abiding citizen!
    1BKTxqM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got done doing 72kph in a 60 by an unmarked car last year. I was in the bus lane too but it was after 7pm so legal to be there, however my speeding down the bus lane meant I undertook a row of cars so they pulled me for that alone. The thing about it all was that I was due to do my full license test the next day and about 20 minutes before I had got caught I was riding around like as safely as I could possibly be, mirror checks every few seconds, lifesavers galore, etc and after two hours of that I decided to give the bike a bit of a rip and got done for it !
    Cops were fairly sound and he ignored that I didn't have an L plate bib on, if anything they pulled me to give a lecture on driving safely, he was a motorbike cop himself. 2 points and a fine, not gonna open her up inside the m50 anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    Was a bit mortifying starting up my vtwin with load pipes on a bike with a dodgey plate beside the Garda but nothing was said.

You wouldn't have heard them anyway :pac:

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I undertook a row of cars so they pulled me for that alone.

Dublin Bus drivers better watch out so... after all the whole point of a bus lane is to allow buses to pass other traffic on the left.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ah sure if you don't get caught an odd time you aren't trying hard enough. I have a clean license at the moment but its only a matter of time...

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭vandriver

I was done 7 times when it was just a 50 quid fine.None since penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

I got done driving a van with a trailer on the M1 south bound a couple of years back, I was doing around 90kph which is over the limit if your pulling a trailer, also got done for over taking which is also a no no with a trailer, so a nice double whammy, 160 euro fine but luckily no points as I was driving on a uk license at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ninja900 wrote: »

Dublin Bus drivers better watch out so... after all the whole point of a bus lane is to allow buses to pass other traffic on the left.

Yeah for sure but the thing was I undertook them when we were near a junction. The cop made the point that I was in their blind spot and undertaking them just at the time that they were most likely to cross in to my lane so they could turn left at the junction. He was right, I was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Same as but two years ago. Was doing 85km or so on a sunny Sunday morning with hardly any traffic. Cop stepped out onto the road and I was very tempted to just drop a gear :o

I might have lived on the end of the N11 a few years back, might have pulled out of my estate and accelerated hard up to a very disproportionate speed to that of the limit, might have seen the bike cop step out from behind the bus stop and might have dropped a gear when he started raising his hand.

But I can say I have never been caught speeding. In either car or bike. If you get caught by one of the vans you were not paying enough attention to the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Got caught once doing 137kph in a 100 zone on one of the old N roads before it became a Motorway, took the cop car a good 10 minutes to catchup to me, as I was able to overtake a lot quicker than they were.

Almost got caught on the N11, near UCD, but I just caught the glimpse of the Garda bike at the bus shelter so hit the anchors and dropped a gear to bring me back to just under the speed limit, but the guy in the jag to my right who was almost matching my speed didn't and flew past me.

Garda walks out to the middle of the road with the two hands up and stops both of us, then says to me "you're grand, he was going faster than you, off you go", and pulls the jag in, the guy in the jag looked at me in disgust. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Never stopped myself. driving the last 5 years, 2 of which on a bike. I'd be like others where I tend to drive much faster on the bike then in the cage.

Advertisement