Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever got caught speeding?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

58kph along the quays in Dublin city. The limit is 50kph. This was at 8pm at night.

He stepped out in the middle of the road and waved his torch. I swear next time I am not stopping. I just going to ignore it and turn down the next street I see. "Eh sorry I didn't know it was a Garda trying to stop me" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

between the car and bike over the past 8 years since I got both my licensees ive never been pulled or caught by camera and im not one to stay within the speed limits.

I got pulled for breaking a red light accidently but I just got a lecture.

Honestly in London at the moment ive gone past police doing 40mph in a 30mph zone loads of times and nothing was said.

I personally think its not just about the speed. If your going 40 in first making loads of noise rather than 40 in 3rd id say your more likely to get pulled.

I also quite like the mornings where the m4 out of London is free of traffic, I get a nice 10km stretch and just gun it. No speed cameras!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

x5NY1dC.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

One day, near Cashel in Tipperary I was acting the boy.
    While attacking a beautiful section of twisty road i met an unmarked garda car coming the opposite direction. It was a long right hander. I was on the pipes and the car was full of blue shirts. I have this image burned into my memory of the guard in the passenger seat with his jaw on the floor pointing with this surprised look on his face :eek:. It was just a fraction of a second and I got just a bare glimpse of him but it was f**kin' hilarious, I'll never forget it. :D

Was only ever caught speeding once and that was in an articulated truck lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

HamSambo wrote: »
    One day, near Cashel in Tipperary I was acting the boy.
    While attacking a beautiful section of twisty road i met an unmarked garda car coming the opposite direction. It was a long right hander. I was on the pipes and the car was full of blue shirts. I have this image burned into my memory of the guard in the passenger seat with his jaw on the floor pointing with this surprised look on his face :eek:. It was just a fraction of a second and I got just a bare glimpse of him but it was f**kin' hilarious, I'll never forget it. :D

Maybe he dropped a donut into his hot coffee and it splashed his privates, hence the mouth open and the shock was in fact PAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Yes I have been caught speeding :mad: say no more ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Never, and i ride for a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Closest I came was doing 90mph in a 60mph section and the garda ahead had already someone pulled in ahead and was writing their ticket. Garda did the "slow down" motions with his hands!
    Another time I was doing about 140-150kph on a motorway, undertook some car, and another car was doing the same speed keeping up with me. They eventually passed me and gave a flash of the blue lights, it was an unmarked car. Obviously busy or just couldn't be arsed pulling me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

58kph along the quays in Dublin city. The limit is 50kph. This was at 8pm at night.

He stepped out in the middle of the road and waved his torch. I swear next time I am not stopping. I just going to ignore it and turn down the next street I see. "Eh sorry I didn't know it was a Garda trying to stop me" ;)

Strange. 4am on the quays in the 30kmh zone, doing just a shade over the limit at that section, I have been flashed and waved to go faster by the Garda, before they overtook me and disappeared. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

How long does it take for penalty points to arrive?
    I was passing a camera van last week doing 100, driving on the road again yesterday and noticed they changed the limit to 80!
    Didn't notice the new limit at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

chrismon wrote: »
    How long does it take for penalty points to arrive?
    I was passing a camera van last week doing 100, driving on the road again yesterday and noticed they changed the limit to 80!
    Didn't notice the new limit at the time.

The GoSafe lads are fairly well organised at this stage and it takes them around ten days to get their love letter through your door. Unless of course you have a teeny weeny number plate like some of the bad people.

'cpt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

The GoSafe lads are fairly well organised at this stage and it takes them around ten days to get their love letter through your door. Unless of course you have a teeny weeny number plate like some of the bad people.

'cpt

Cheers.
    I must get one of those teeny weeny plates.

Soundman wrote: »
    Strange. 4am on the quays in the 30kmh zone, doing just a shade over the limit at that section, I have been flashed and waved to go faster by the Garda, before they overtook me and disappeared. :D

At that speed maybe an alcholic drunk zombie inner city howya Dubliner was running after you! :pac:

The zoom and focus levels of the Garda speed vans is very good. Im not sure if a small number plate will help. You don't deserve a ticket so I hope you get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Ya need to get one of these.

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdxIWf6cgMw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

At that speed maybe an alcholic drunk zombie inner city howya Dubliner was running after you! :pac:

Quite possible. :D

I always try and stick to the limit though on that stretch down to O'Connell Bridge as I nearly always see at least one Garda car while on my way home. Being a learner still, I don't want to chance getting done since (as far as I know) the points would be double for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Are there any speed cameras on the n11 or m50 ? In my car (getting first bike soon) I seem to go almost as fast as I want on those (very fast on m50) and never had a ticket ever. When I spotted a Garda with a hand held camera on the n11 I slammed on the brakes fairly sharp and smooth a few times. Ditto whenever I spotted a speed van. Maybe I've been lucky but if some of you got tickets on those roads a lot then I am wondering if Bikes are getting picked on more than my small car which nobody would believe can be fast as it really is. I am wondering if my luck will change when I get a bike because my image might change to those in authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are there any speed cameras on the n11 or m50 ? In my car (getting first bike soon) I seem to go almost as fast as I want on those (very fast on m50) and never had a ticket ever. When I spotted a Garda with a hand held camera on the n11 I slammed on the brakes fairly sharp and smooth a few times. Ditto whenever I spotted a speed van. Maybe I've been lucky but if some of you got tickets on those roads a lot then I am wondering if Bikes are getting picked on more than my small car which nobody would believe can be fast as it really is. I am wondering if my luck will change when I get a bike because my image might change to those in authority.

There are no fixed camera's but that's no gurantee of avoiding the fine and points.

There are the usuall spots on the N11 where they will hide behind bus shelters, bridges and hedges.

They have the van at stillorgan at times also.

Just got done few weeks ago at Arklow by one of the vans and have to say it was so well hidden I still don't know where it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

There are a hell of alot of unmarked police on the M50.....my missus got caught speeding and on a mobile on the M50 (family Emergency in fairness) and the book was thrown at her!

I have seen many a person getting done by unmarked cars on the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    There are a hell of alot of unmarked police on the M50.....my missus got caught speeding and on a mobile on the M50 (family Emergency in fairness) and the book was thrown at her!

I have seen many a person getting done by unmarked cars on the M50.

Yeah there are loads of them now. Some are 10+ years old and the lights are nearly perfect because the LED's they install now are so small.

I got quite a shock last year when I saw the light blue 2003 forester flash the blues and two's at a car that shot past it. Was behind him for well over 5 minutes and didn't notice anything different about the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is one fixed camera on the M50 in each direction that I'm aware of (have been in place for years) and there may be more.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ninja900 wrote: »
    There is one fixed camera on the M50 in each direction that I'm aware of (have been in place for years) and there may be more.

They are gone. And when they were there they usually didn't work.
    Now saying that I actually can't think if there is one at the end as you head off for the Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As of three weeks ago the stripes on the road southbound 'northbound' but on the southern cross, were still there.

That doesn't mean the camera is still there, but it doesn't mean there ever was a camera, either.

There definitely used to be one on the northern cross because I and people I know got done by it! and the stripes were still there quite recently the last time I was there between Finglas and Ballymun

Odd that both fixed cameras were on the clockwise direction.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement