Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some guidance please ....

Options
  • 02-02-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

In a domestic fuse box, what is a bell transformer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Transformer for your door bell.Converts mains voltage 230v to whatever your bell needs,usually 8v,12v,16v or 24v

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

superg wrote: »
    Transformer for your door bell.Converts mains voltage 230v to whatever your bell needs,usually 8v,12v,16v or 24v

Ours smells of burn but only when many appliances are on together (ie. Washing machine, dryer, emersion, heating) actually it tends to be when those 4 are on

I think it is the bell transformer from going up to the fusebox and trying to locate the smell.

Hard to have faith in the fusebox labeling when the labels on the cooker fuse and shower fuse are mixed around. But the bell transformer is a flat box with 230v and a circuit and 12v and a circuit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Ours smells of burn but only when many appliances are on together (ie. Washing machine, dryer, emersion, heating) actually it tends to be when those 4 are on

I think it is the bell transformer from going up to the fusebox and trying to locate the smell.

Hard to have faith in the fusebox labeling when the labels on the cooker fuse and shower fuse are mixed around. But the bell transformer is a flat box with 230v and a circuit and 12v and a circuit on it.

sounds more like overheating

you'll prob need to get a spark out for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Id say the bell transformer is ok anyway.

Probably a burning connection due to loose terminal or fuse.

Is it possible that this BT thing could have been wired for a different use?

The B/T is the one thing in the fuse nox that stinks.

If you knew the state of the plumbing/tiling/carpentry in the house this q wouldnt surprise you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Burning smell from your fusebox=get a spark to look at it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aodhan2

superg wrote: »
    Burning smell from your fusebox=get a spark to look at it asap.

Here's a fuse board I changed the other day that had a smell coming from it for a few days until the guy was in the shower and it went up in flames. Get a spark out to check ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Such a crow's nest of a distribution board :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

That's some mess of a board!

Love the technicolour green, red and black all coming down to the earth rail, it's original.

To the original poster, it's very unlikely that the BT is the issue, given that you are saying the smell is happening with larger loads active, the BT will be taking no power worth talking about, regardless of what else is live, it's more likely that a connection on the board that is nearer the other end of the chain is overheating due to the number of appliances that are on, and it's a sparks job to sort that one out now, due to the way the rules work now.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

aodhan2 wrote: »
    Here's a fuse board I changed the other day that had a smell coming from it for a few days until the guy was in the shower and it went up in flames. Get a spark out to check ASAP.

Coyboys Ted, they're all a bunch of coyboys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

aodhan2 wrote: »

I met this situation quiet alot, main reason was installers never took time to check connections on fused unit, i have never came across a situation of a fire like that.

Thanks for the advise guys, turns out there was a loose wire onte the "RCD for Sockets" and had started to melt 'n burn.

While he was at the board i asked him to switch the shower and cooker as they were wired to the wrong fuses and the shower fuse kept tripping if there was more than 1 shower had one after the other. Turns out there was 4 more loose connections in the fuse board :(

Attached pic

Advertisement