Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding a 2nd wired door chime

Options
  • 02-02-2014 8:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭

Id like to extend and add a 2nd door chime out to my kitchen,as I cant hear the doorbell when Im in the kitchen or sitting on the back patio.
    The existing doorbell is a Friedland unit and the electrician used cat5 utp cable to wire it up.The doorbell traffo is in the cosumer unit.Its a Merlin Gerin Multi-9-TR and its says its 230V and 8/12V rating.The other day I found a spare utp cable going from the kitchen to the consumer unit.
    Could I use this spare cat5 utp cable to add a 2nd Friedland door chime out in the kitchen?
    I know I need to isolate the power to the traffo 1st,but is there anything else I need to be aware of?Do I need a bigger more powerfull doorbell traffo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Yeah you prob will need to install a more powerful trafo....Install the second bell and see if it works. I normally use a intercom trafo and works a treat...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Yeah you prob will need to install a more powerful trafo....Install the second bell and see if it works. I normally use a intercom trafo and works a treat...
    Thanks,would an intercom traffo be the same size as the existing Merlin Gerin traffo?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

no they are usually about twice the width of a normal bell trafo....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

no they are usually about twice the width of a normal bell trafo....

Can you recommend a brand of traffo or where to buy one at a reasonable price?

Advertisement