Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not another chocolate cake recipe...

• 02-02-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Well I hate to ask for another chocolate cake recipe but... I really want a good chocolate cake recipe! It's for my daughter's birthday cake. I would like to make a cake that is moist, doesn't crumble when cut and is delicious! A two layer cake would be ideal, separated by chocolate butter cream.

Any good recipes you could recommend?

Thanks a mill, P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Made this twice today, once for a friends birthday and it smelled so good I made one for myself.
    Just had a slice and its nommers and really reay simple.
    I split it into two 8" tins and reduced cooking time to around 30 minutes but check with a skewer.

http://www.olivemagazine.com/lulusnotes/dark-chocolate-cake/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

http://www.odlums.ie/recipes/odlums-recipes/cakes/love-chocolate-sandwich/

I made this a few times and it's fab, I left out the almonds and used dark brown soft sugar, makes 12 good sized cupcakes too that nearly tastes better in than cake format for some strange reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

I made this over the weekend, and was great,
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/celebration_chocolate_18175

One think the frosting was very wet and needed more time to set, so would suggest start with the frosting and then get that in the fridge while doing the cake. Else make your topping of choice.

But it was light and moist and cut really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

Mmmm.... They all sound delish. Going to practise a few of these, starting with the top recipe and working my way down :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Well do a report back on how they all worked out for you. :)

• Advertisement

I definitely will - if they look good I'll even take a pic. I love Chocolate cake, fondant, muffin, brownie, cookie etc etc - could eat them everyday as my one indulgent snack :-)

Well today I made the Olive Magazine chocolate cake and it turned out perfectly! Soft and light yet rich and chocolatey. Perfect for the birthday cake next month.

I poured the mixture into two tins like you suggested and they came out perfectly. I used a cocoa, icing sugar, butter and cream for the icing and it was delish.

Am so happy with the cake that I don't need to bake anything else - this is THE chocolate cake for me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

That recipe sounds fab. Any advice on whether it is suitable for kids party cake.

Its for a 6 year olds party, and it HAS to be chocolate, with a layer of strawberry in the middle
    Its going to be square and with sugarpaste icing on top, as I am getting a cake topper printed.

My regular chocolate cake recipe is great, but it is soft and very moist. It would stand up to being split horizontally to put icing in the middle, or putting sugar paste on top.

The olive magazine recipe looks great, but I would use milk choc, not plain as its for kids.

Alternatively, any other suggestions for a good recipe.

(I do know that 50% of it will be walked into the floor or left behind and thrown out)

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This cake is absolutely amazing - so moist and lasts for a few days; be warned though it is SERIOUSLY chocolatey! :D

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I did the olive magazine one for a kids party, and it wasn't chocolatey enough I felt. Looked good, cut well, but just didn't taste enough of the ingredients that went in!

I wouldn't reduce the chocolate quality to milk... You're diluting it so much with the other ingredients that it won't taste of much at all without a stronger chocolate to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Advertisement