Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using my blueface sip account when abroad with android?

Options
  • 02-02-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

A bit of advice needed,...I have a VOIP phone service here in Ireland with Blueface & I'm looking for a free app I can install on my android tablet or phone so when I go abroad I can use available/local wifi to call home.
    I checked the Blueface site & in theory it's possible for me to login to my sip account from anywhere in the world using a wifi connection & make calls to Ireland by using a windows based softphone but I'd rather use my android phone or tablet because of size & weight, is there a suitable app for this?...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Linphone is one free app I have used ..... there are several.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Sorry I'm late to this thread. cSipSimple for Android is the best app I've found. Open-source so completely free. Integrates with the phone dialer in Android, and even has the settings for Blueface pre-configured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zkzkz

Yeah, CSipSimple and Linphone are both reasonable apps. As is ZoIPer.

However if you have a recent version of Android you actually have a SIP dialler built in. It's well hidden and it doesn't work over 3G, only Wi-Fi, presumably due to Google being arm-twisted by US telcos. But it's built-in which means it works a bit more smoothly than having a separate app with a separate dialler and contacts UI.

Go to the phone, then click the three dots at the bottom right (or the menu button if your phone has one). Click "Settings". Click "Call Settings". Scroll to the bottom and click "Accounts" under the heading Internet Call Settings. The click "ADD ACCOUNT".

That's in Kitkat but I think it was introduced in Jellybean where the menus were slightly different but the trick is always to look for it hiding in the menu in the dialler rather than looking for it in the system settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Blueface have advised me that using my existing account when abroad is fine as long as I disconnect my home phone first, they said two devices trying to use the same login details would cause severe conflicts, they say I could setup a 2nd account for €10 + VAT per month...not worth it so I guess I'll use yahoo messenger as most of the family at home use it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

lensman wrote: »
    Blueface have advised me that using my existing account when abroad is fine as long as I disconnect my home phone first, they said two devices trying to use the same login details would cause severe conflicts, they say I could setup a 2nd account for €10 + VAT per month...not worth it so I guess I'll use yahoo messenger as most of the family at home use it anyway.

That's disappointing ...... other service providers have no difficulty in allowing simultaneous registration of several devices.

Each device rings until one answers and takes the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Do they not offer to have up to 5 SIP Accounts under the 1 account any longer? I have 4 in my account but I noticed now that I cannot add any more. IF they still offer that you could use it while abroad.

nava wrote: »
    Do they not offer to have up to 5 SIP Accounts under the 1 account any longer? I have 4 in my account but I noticed now that I cannot add any more. IF they still offer that you could use it while abroad.
    I'm with them over 4yrs on a residential sub & never knew about that, I do have 2 numbers though, an Irish Geographic number ported from eircom & an IrishVoIP number but only one SIP account as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

lensman wrote: »
    I'm with them over 4yrs on a residential sub & never knew about that, I do have 2 numbers though, an Irish Geographic number ported from eircom & an IrishVoIP number but only one SIP account as far as I can see.

Not sure when they stopped maybe when they change the website or when they stopped residential plans, the option was there under a year ago when I delete a Sip Account.

Here you have a link to the archive that shows how the extra ID's were created, need to check T&C's about what was included with the residential plan.

nava wrote: »
    Not sure when they stopped maybe when they change the website or when they stopped residential plans, the option was there under a year ago when I delete a Sip Account.

Here you have a link to the archive that shows how the extra ID's were created, need to check T&C's about what was included with the residential plan.
    They still do residential but don't mention it on their site, I contacted them when their site changed & guess what? next Sept when I renew my plan they are doing it for for €27 less then previous years...€99 +vat = €121.77 instead of the usual €149,...I just installed the linephone app on my tablet & entered my blueface account details, when I called my home numbers from the tablet it goes straight to the answer machine as the line is seen as busy/in use.:(

Advertisement