Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puncture - slit in new tyre

• 02-02-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

As above, no plugging it, pilot 3 about a month old,had to replace the whole tyre (€160 :eek:). You could poke your finger through the slit.
    Has anybody tried putting in this kind of gloopy stuff when they replace their tyres, I remember a few years back someone told me about it, (it was expensive too) can't remember the name of it though or whether it would have sealed a slit.
    So píssed off :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Slime or any of those type of sealants won't work for a slit.
    Nailhole or similar is about all they will seal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, those sealants are for your standard nail/screw. A slit means it's a new tyre you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Yeah man, I've ordered some anyway, I suppose its extremely rare to get a slit in a tyre, can't remember ever having a puncture I couldn't fix.
    On a side note, I was picked up by my mate who luckily lived 10 mins away, but my insurance policy covers breakdowns, I hadn't a screed of information on me about how to go about getting picked up by recovery. I'm going to do that now and put it into my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Yeah man, I've ordered some anyway, I suppose its extremely rare to get a slit in a tyre, can't remember ever having a puncture I couldn't fix.
    On a side note, I was picked up by my mate who luckily lived 10 mins away, but my insurance policy covers breakdowns, I hadn't a screed of information on me about how to go about getting picked up by recovery. I'm going to do that now and put it into my phone.

I would be in the same boat. I often thought about breaking down and not having breakdown cover numbers at hand. Its on the to do list:o

I had the same problem, only posted about it here about a week ago.
    My puncture was unfixable, but it was slow. I live 5 minutes from Bikeworld, so pumped it up and drove there. Tyre was pretty much flat coming around the naas rd roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    I had the same problem, only posted about it here about a week ago.
    My puncture was unfixable, but it was slow. I live 5 minutes from Bikeworld, so pumped it up and drove there. Tyre was pretty much flat coming around the naas rd roundabout.

Wasnt a slow puncture then was it, if it only lasted about 5 mins....:pac::pac::pac:

One of the lads off here had a slow puncture for nearly 2 yrs on one of his bikes (has a few) dont know how he could keep the bike like that with the rear going flat. Constantly pumping the thing up he was......

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Wasnt a slow puncture then was it, if it only lasted about 5 mins....:pac::pac::pac:

One of the lads off here had a slow puncture for nearly 2 yrs on one of his bikes (has a few) dont know how he could keep the bike like that with the rear going flat. Constantly pumping the thing up he was......

Slow-ish. Air left quicker when I drove it for some reason. Was parked up for 3 days on the side stand and it was grand.

Adelaide Insurance got back to me with this number : 0845 937 7700
    However on my policy it says :

Assistance Procedure
    • Phone : 1800 945247 RoI
    • Your exact location
    • your cert number
    • Your Reg
    • Description of problem
    • Your Contact telephone no

So, these are 2 different numbers :confused:
    Also, it seems only one of the bikes I have has breakdown assist, and naturally, its the one I wasn't on and don't really use. Its €45 extra for my main one. I've emailed them on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    Slow-ish. Air left quicker when I drove it for some reason. Was parked up for 3 days on the side stand and it was grand.

Its amazing what a large "derriere" will do for squeezing air out of an object quicker then normal!!!

;)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Its amazing what a large "derriere" will do for squeezing air out of an object quicker then normal!!!

;)

Well, I can't argue with physics!

• Advertisement

Or, the wheel was rolled directly onto the hole and squashed it closed?

Or, the wheel was rolled directly onto the hole and squashed it closed?
    That's more like it

Advertisement