Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman for Dublin/Wicklow ..??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the post in yesterdays paper i saw said it was for 2014. seems very late to be adding an iron distance event for 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

trinity as the epicentre
    august bank holiday weekend

....................... i've said too much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It won't catch on. An event like that needs to be held in the West of Ireland.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I heard something similar to what Miller is saying (even down to the date) around the time of the Dublin triathlon last year. Talk was of Trinity to the O2 area, using the liffey for the swim and closed roads for laps. Thought at the time it was from a fairly good source but when I didn't hear anything thought nothing of it. This might be what he was talking about. He did say more of an Olympic distance event though, along the lines of London. There was a mention of it being draft legal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Swimming in the Liffey unlikely unless it DCT tri course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Swimming in the Liffey unlikely unless it DCT tri course.

I've done aquathons down by the IFSC before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    I've done aquathons down by the IFSC before.

True but high risk of swim getting cancelled due to water quality . Focus Irl had to cancel tri s there for that very reason. One yr people were getting into the water were there was a dead rat floating. Not a very appealing area to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

BG: Was that not Grand Canal Dock as opposed to the river itself?

Not a very appealing area to swim.

Da Liffey.

No matter what the water tests tell you, I shudder at the thought of swimming in that river.

Basster wrote: »
    BG: Was that not Grand Canal Dock as opposed to the river itself?

Yes it was. Was to do with a building site kicking up a load of heavy metals.

• Advertisement

True but high risk of swim getting cancelled due to water quality . Focus Irl had to cancel tri s there for that very reason. One yr people were getting into the water were there was a dead rat floating. Not a very appealing area to swim.

Less risk of Weils disease further down I believe

heard two different things
    1. swim Bray area , jump on the bike, head for wicklow mountains, and then into Trinity to dump the bike (yes two bike racks) and run around city
    2. Swim Sandycove area (tides would be a massive issue) and then transition near coast (this actually sounds messier IMO due to location )

Will be bank holiday weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon already on that weekend in the big smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Interesting, the only place on the southside that you could swim aside from the liffey with a large enough transition area in close proximity is where the Dun Laoghaire triathlon was on i.e swim at sea point and transition in that green area where the DunLaoghaire tri transition is.

Cant think of a place in Sandycove with enough space for a transition zone, unless they swam from the Dun Laoghaire baths area using that bring green area in front of Teddys ice cream as transition zone

would give good access then to wicklow for the cycle from there

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RossyR

August bank holiday is the same weekend as the Shadowman.
    Will be a pity if they clash..

Don't think this is going to happen in 2014

would be shocked/impressed if it happened this year.
    hopefully it will and thats what i have heard so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

MD1983 wrote: »
    Interesting, the only place on the southside that you could swim aside from the liffey with a large enough transition area in close proximity is where the Dun Laoghaire triathlon was on i.e swim at sea point and transition in that green area where the DunLaoghaire tri transition is.

Cant think of a place in Sandycove with enough space for a transition zone, unless they swam from the Dun Laoghaire baths area using that bring green area in front of Teddys ice cream as transition zone

would give good access then to wicklow for the cycle from there

DL would actually be a decent location. Narrow roads along seafront though. Easy enough to get to...extra darts/allow people to bring bikes on darts + extra buses

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

I hear a 70.3 with swim in Bray , cycle thru mnts back to Trinity and a city half . Nice idea and course but lots on Aug BH weekend . I hope they announce something soon.

beyondgoinglong have picked up on the story from the indo (why there were reading that god only knows, but anyway)

http://beyondgoinglong.co.uk/?p=4524

if the comment from IMUk is correct, 2015 at earliest, which would seem realistic, 2014 seemed a stretch

• Advertisement

And since when do we trust politicians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

2015 would be great.

tunney wrote: »
    And since when do we trust politicians?

Varadkar lined up beside me at tri-athy last year, i reckon he'd look at bringing it in just so he could do it himself on a free entry

i always trust politicians to deliver something of no use to the overall economy (tourism boost aside) more than i do for them to do something actually useful.

mossym wrote: »
    beyondgoinglong have picked up on the story from the indo (why there were reading that god only knows, but anyway)

http://beyondgoinglong.co.uk/?p=4524

if the comment from IMUk is correct, 2015 at earliest, which would seem realistic, 2014 seemed a stretch

Probably picked it up here first and then went to the Sh..Indo on a link.

Advertisement