Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Lady's Navan, Hospital

Options
  • 03-02-2014 12:12am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well folks, the staff there may be excellent, that's usually the case, but the buildings, and the site are so no longer fit for purpose, it's so bad it's not funny.

Parking is non existent, and as there's no public transport from a huge part of the catchment area, the parking is a major issue, I was out there on Monday delivering a patient from Dublin, and at 3 Pm, there was NO parking available, and it stayed that way for the entire time we were in the area, I ended up having to go off site and find somewhere to sit in the car with my phone on until I heard from one of the people that had gone into the hospital.

So what is someone that has an appointment with a doctor or some other sort of appointment supposed to do. Arrive an hour and a half early in case they can't find parking, and hope that in that 90 minutes, a space somewhere will free up?

Bluntly, the HSE needs to be told that the site, and the buildings on it, are no longer fit for purpose, and the entire facility needs to be relocated to a new site that has space, for a modern facility that won't cost a fortune to heat and has adequate space for parking, so that staff AND patients can park without a nightmare of "will I be able to even get into the place".

I've taken patients into the ED on a couple of occasions, and that's a pretty depressing environment to have to spend any time in, with very little in the way of facilities.

sorry, the entire site needs to be flattened. and sold for a new use, with a new facility that will meet the modern demand for the treatment requirements of the area built on a suitable site that can be accessed sensibly, the present site as laid out at present can't meet the requirement.

The same can be said of a number of other locations, but unfortunately, Navan is one of the worst, as there's so little in the way of parking outside of the site, so if the site is full, there's a problem.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Well folks, the staff there may be excellent, that's usually the case, but the buildings, and the site are so no longer fit for purpose, it's so bad it's not funny.

Parking is non existent, and as there's no public transport from a huge part of the catchment area, the parking is a major issue, I was out there on Monday delivering a patient from Dublin, and at 3 Pm, there was NO parking available, and it stayed that way for the entire time we were in the area, I ended up having to go off site and find somewhere to sit in the car with my phone on until I heard from one of the people that had gone into the hospital.

So what is someone that has an appointment with a doctor or some other sort of appointment supposed to do. Arrive an hour and a half early in case they can't find parking, and hope that in that 90 minutes, a space somewhere will free up?

Bluntly, the HSE needs to be told that the site, and the buildings on it, are no longer fit for purpose, and the entire facility needs to be relocated to a new site that has space, for a modern facility that won't cost a fortune to heat and has adequate space for parking, so that staff AND patients can park without a nightmare of "will I be able to even get into the place".

I've taken patients into the ED on a couple of occasions, and that's a pretty depressing environment to have to spend any time in, with very little in the way of facilities.

sorry, the entire site needs to be flattened. and sold for a new use, with a new facility that will meet the modern demand for the treatment requirements of the area built on a suitable site that can be accessed sensibly, the present site as laid out at present can't meet the requirement.

The same can be said of a number of other locations, but unfortunately, Navan is one of the worst, as there's so little in the way of parking outside of the site, so if the site is full, there's a problem.

Summer gone I had a relative there for 6 weeks and was doing almost daily trips, never had a problem getting parking, however I'll never under stand why they don't expand into the old co council machinery storage yard directly behind the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

the hospital has 3 car parks did you try all three ?

also the E.D is to undergo or it may have started a redevelopment

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Summer gone I had a relative there for 6 weeks and was doing almost daily trips, never had a problem getting parking, however I'll never under stand why they don't expand into the old co council machinery storage yard directly behind the hospital

+1. And the back of the hospital has a few acres of space that could also be put to better use as well. All together, the while site could be a massive, with access from both the Commons Road and the Old Athboy Road, if it was managed properly. However, there is no joined-up thinking on the part of any of the agencies involved, and when you have no money to be made by vested interests in using the existing site and not having to pay over the odds for development land that has been expensively acquired over the boom years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Also the town bus service goes regularly to the hospital and a quick google say the 190-190a goes to it also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Plenty of parking there, must've been incredibly busy at the time, loads of room today.

Even if it's own carparks are full there are two huge council allday carparks within easy walking distance.

Main bus stops: Mercy and Square are just down the road, frankly you could get to it from literally anywhere in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

bladespin wrote: »
    Plenty of parking there, must've been incredibly busy at the time, loads of room today.

Even if it's own carparks are full there are two huge council allday carparks within easy walking distance.

Main bus stops: Mercy and Square are just down the road, frankly you could get to it from literally anywhere in the country.

And none of them are any use when the passenger being delivered is going to the psychiatric ward, and not doing do voluntarily, so walking any distance wasn't going to happen.

On the day in question, the weather was vile, there were queues all over the place, one of the car parks was partially closed off as a building site, there were cars double parked on the pavements, the entire place was chaos. Wasn't helped by the timing, it was probably afternoon visiting, whatever, we ended up having to get the relevant people out of the vehicle at the main entrance, and then go and find somewhere off site to sit in the vehicle while the necessary procedures were dealt with, before returning to drop off an overnight bag and collect one of the other passengers.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

And none of them are any use when the passenger being delivered is going to the psychiatric ward, and not doing do voluntarily, so walking any distance wasn't going to happen.

On the day in question, the weather was vile, there were queues all over the place, one of the car parks was partially closed off as a building site, there were cars double parked on the pavements, the entire place was chaos. Wasn't helped by the timing, it was probably afternoon visiting, whatever, we ended up having to get the relevant people out of the vehicle at the main entrance, and then go and find somewhere off site to sit in the vehicle while the necessary procedures were dealt with, before returning to drop off an overnight bag and collect one of the other passengers.

I can see your point... but in fairness your gripe is about a first world problem... parking.

Ask most other private ambulance drivers/taxi drivers/people dropping off relatives and normally the done thing is to drop off the person and head away until they got a call on the mobile to pick them up again.

If you go to Drogheda hospital and the carpark is full on site you have to go to the secondary carpark off site which is quarter of a mile down the road... just the same with navan hospital... if the car park is full there you can park out on the road as many do even though there is double yellows or you have oMahoneys car park or even aldis car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sounds like it was just a bad day all round, hardly fair to blame the hospital for that.

Advertisement