Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No sound on dvd player

• 03-02-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Ive a Panasonic BluRay DVD player from about 3 years ago. (DMP -BD45). Switched on today and no sound from DVD player. The picture is fine, also when I stick a USB in the sound still works. Any suggestions? Or is it a dead duck?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Sound options on that player are limited.

You have Optical , Stereo Analog , or HDMI .... Which one are you using ?

Assuming you didnt change the setup of the player for the USB content , and you got sound off that material , then the issue is a setup issue.
    Different material has different sound formats , you must set the player up to supply the sound format that the screen or amp its connected to can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Thanks. Its a HDMI out to an AV receiver. I didn't change any settings. Just turned it on on the evening and nothing. As I said, its picking up a USB inserted into the dvd player so seems solely related to dvd playing. Settings appear fine, not changed as I said. Would sound pick-up just go like that? I have a 12 year old dvd player somewhere else still going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Thanks. Its a HDMI out to an AV receiver. I didn't change any settings. Just turned it on on the evening and nothing. As I said, its picking up a USB inserted into the dvd player so seems solely related to dvd playing. Settings appear fine, not changed as I said. Would sound pick-up just go like that? I have a 12 year old dvd player somewhere else still going strong.

There is no "sound pickup" , data is read off the disc , audio and video data are separated , audio goes to be decoded or whatever is required , video goes to be processed depending on settings , and audio and video are then sent in the same data stream to the receiver.
    With HDMI audio is inserted into the video blanking intervals.

So , there is no sound circuitry to go wrong really !
    If HDMI is your only connection , and audio from material on the USB stick travels fine over it , then it is simply a menu setup stopping audio from the discs.

There will be a lot of audio setup options , you will need to trawl through them and find out which one is causing the problem.

Usually , most players are happy set to "bitstream" , meaning it sends data to the receiver as is , however if your receiver is not able to decode some formats , Dolby Tru HD or DTS Ma Audio or something like that , then you will hear nothing.

So , trawl through the settings , make a note of them , then post the model of the receiver and the settings on here if you dont spot anything obvious and need further help !

Advertisement