Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding for PhD

Options
  • 03-02-2014 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

Hi there - I have been searching for work for the past 6 months but unfortunately it has been in vain and I have been signing on each week. I am starting a full time PhD in Trinity in March which, thankfully, has been funded by a government body.

Unfortunately, however, they can only commit to funding my registration/course fees.

As I will technically be a Student and not unemployed, I will no longer be eligible to sign on for the dole.

Does anyone know of any social welfare/ government scheme that could help me out with some money for food/basic living needs until September (after which I will be earning money through teaching tutorials etc)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

CPTM wrote: »
    I am starting a full time PhD in Trinity in March which, thankfully, has been funded by a government body.

Unfortunately, however, they can only commit to funding my registration/course fees.
    Well then it's not funded. I've said it many times before on this forum, but I would have serious reservations about pursuing a PhD in the absence of funding. You need to think long and hard about what you're getting yourself into.
    CPTM wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any social welfare/ government scheme that could help me out with some money for food/basic living needs until September (after which I will be earning money through teaching tutorials etc)?
    I don't believe there are any and a bit of teaching isn't going to do a great deal in helping to make ends meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

I have my fees and some living costs covered by my scholarship and still work weekends to make ends meet along with substantial teaching. You wont be able to support yourself on teaching alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

OP, unless you can afford to pay rent and bills and still have enough money to eat anything above pot-noodle, then it's going to be pretty horrific.

Currently writing up at the moment for a phd that I got partial funding (about a third of what you would normally get). It's been pretty difficult, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Teaching and tutorials really pay fuck all in the great scheme of things and I wouldn't count on them for paying the bills.

My advice would be to see if you and your potential supervisor can get IRC funding (if at all possible at this stage). Might be worth checking out funded PhDs abroad (anything EU funded, UK can be hit and miss and I'm not familiar with the US/Canada but it's pretty decent from what I can gather from people).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

IRC comes to mind, but the call for applications is over for this year.

I know a few people who have taken out student loans to support themselves, but that's not really a good option in the grand scheme of things.

What's your area OP? PhD funding is quite scarce in Ireland. Make contact with your supervisor asap re your options - they would have the most experience in terms of what's available for your area of research.

To reiterate what was said above - teaching will by no means sustain you in terms of living expenses.

Going into a unfunded PhD is a big commitment and can make the whole process decidedly more difficult. I will say this, if my PhD was not funded, I don't think I would have started it tbh.

Best of luck OP

Advertisement