Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I do, complicated situation!

• 03-02-2014 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

Before people start judging and snapping, please give me a chance to explain and try understand. I just want advice from true dog/animals lovers please.

I rescued a jack russell/corgi from a local rescue centre a year and a half ago, he was a little fat white puppy who was abandoned and his tail was docked badly. He licked the cats and I fell in love, typical cliche, I know. (we have a cat so that's why I chose a puppy so the cat could be dominant over him, I am aware there are older dogs needing home too).

Anyway, he was a nightmare of a pup, sooo hard to train although very sociable with other dogs and people (I am a dog walker also). He is usually great with kids also BUT he can get jealous so I would be nervous if we ever have a baby.

He is great for recall on the beach or in a park but if he gets free in the estate or streets, no chance, takes ages to catch him.

We have tried all training with him, personal dog training lessons also, advice from people etc. He is sooo mischievous and naughty for my boyfriend, will not follow ANY of his orders and they have NEVER bonded. I admit, I have'nt thoroughly bonded with him neither (my former pet died weeks before we rescued him and the bond will never be as strong as that one I don't think).

As I am a dog walker, for over a year now, I have walked a stunning, graceful, loving, female doberman. She adores me and I adore her. She is well trained and very obedient and my fella and her get on great (they are BOTH neutered). I was asked recently by her original owner if I wanted to keep her as he cannot walk her or keep her for medical reasons any longer. I knew it would be a challenge, having her 24/7 compared to 3 hours is very different and yes it has been a stressful week.

I know it can take several weeks or even months for her to settle along with the cat who is unimpressed etc. but the days are much more stressful than before. I walk the dogs from early morning to almost midday or so daily, they play in packs by the dunes and have the best time ever.

Before I took on the doberman, I'd take my fella home, feed him and he'd sleep most of the remainder of the day but since the doberman joined us, he cant get his usual nap because she doesn't nap as long and torments him to play (they play fight alot but supervised) and our JR?corgi has also gotten more aggressive with the cat since our addition. I'm guessing due to dominance.

I am aware it will cost alot more with food and vets and she is so well trained that she can be curious of our cat but she'd never attack whilst our JR/corgi does...not attack as such but barks, torments etc.

There is a baby gate at the stirs so the cat has the whole of upstairs to himself.

The big question is, who do I keep? It is such a hard situation. I am torn between them. I love our terrier, he's my little naughty dote but such a handful...still! I know he's still young but so many people have told us recently that they are difficult to train and terriers are their own little character and it's hard to change them.
    Whilst the doberman is beautiful, loving, a little wimp really, age 3 and still very playful, loves to swim, well trained and easy to train and follows all orders, a stunning girl, perfect for dog shows if I wanted to. She's great with people, children, dogs, cats and sooo obedient.

I have an ultimatum...I must make my decision by the end of this week. :(

Again, I am well aware it is still very early days but like I said, my days are alot more stressful and I am epileptic, (tiredness and stress triggers seizures, infact I had one when walking them on the beach last week, just a trance seizure, lucky another dog owner was with me).

I will be heart broken to see either of them go but it's still only been just over a year since I rescued and know both so what do I do?
    What would you do?

Please don't judge!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Split

Honestly , keep the original dog . You have said it yourself , the added stress and pressure is medically not at all good for you . One of your dogs is more hostile towards the cat since the dobies arrival . Cat, terrier and yourself are all affected in the negative by the new addition .

You need to take care of you - yes it will be guy wrenching to lose the female but you could find a local home perhaps that need a dog walker or from time to time kennelling for her .
    No judgement as I foster myself and sometimes make tough decisions based on the affect within the household .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Your terrier is young, and sounds like he is acting like an adolescent terrier, they can be a handful, and for some, more than a handful, that's why so many end up in pounds and rescues. But to give him up at this stage would be just unfair. There's plenty of training that can be done still, for starters, I wouldn't let him off the lead in areas where he has 'no chance' of coming back. It can only end in trouble. What motivates him? Food? Toys?, A squeaky ball? Find out what he loves the most and work with it as a recall lure with a long training lead to perfect his outdoor behaviour.

It's hard to introduce a new dog to a household that already has pets. I would say your terrier has got more confident around the cat, now that there's another dog in the house, he knows the cat cannot push him about as much and he'll have a buddy to hang out with. I don't know much about cats but they seem to be far more territorial than dogs, so the cat is probably displaying behaviours to the dobie that the terrier is picking up on too, so your seeing him acting out towards the cat more now.

The only thing I would say in defence of keeping the doberman is that shes a restricted breed, and could be far harder to rehome.
    Can you give the dobie back to her owner? What were the circumstances around her giving her up? Can she go back?

Finally, believing in dominance theories, can be quite dangerous. For starters it's based on wolf pack behaviour so while comparisons to dogs is where the whole dominance/alpha/pack leader rubbish started, it's absolutely not applicable to cats. And to simply label a problem behaviour as 'dominance' is never going to get you to the root of the problem and sort it, it's a throwaway word that has been abused in the dog behaviour world and causes far more trouble than it was ever of use. In the case of your cat it's territory has been invaded and it's scared. A year ago it was a terrier, now there's another dog so naturally the cat will try and protect her home. Again, I don't know much about cats so I could be completely off the mark with my opinion!

Best of luck, whatever you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It's not complicated at all to me. You have two animals that get along and depend on you, you took another animal into their home and now it's overwhelming for everyone. Rehome the doberman, train your terrier and let your cat live in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Is it only in the past week or so you took on the doberman? I cant make out how long you have the doberman - if its very recent shur it takes awhile for things to settle down and everyone to find their place. I dont think you should rush into anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

I understand your finding this situation stressful and you must look after your own health as your first priority!

Here’s what I think… no judgement just saying it as I see it from your post above.

1.You have a 1.5 years old JRT puppy… he is your first dog and should be your main choice over either dog. He sound like a “teenager” that needs proper training and time invested in him.
    Don’t let him off in places where his recall is poor your putting him at risk of getting knocked down and causing you stress – so it’s not worth it IMO

Go back to basics with his training and be consistent and stern – it will pay off.

look at what food your feeding him – sometime dog food can cause hyperness in dogs and all sorts of behavioural issues.

He does seem like a pain (but honestly nearly all puppies are my own one was too) BUT you only get out of a dog what you invest.

2. you’ve a new “nice” dog which from your post is less hassle etc and a joy of a dog…

so which dog?

IMO you cannot compare the two or even pip them against each other for the following reasons..

1.your own dog the JRT is still a puppy with little training and small dogs can be a handful, plus he’s male
    2.the new dog Is an adult dog.. female and a larger breed, more docile etc

If you give the Doberman back your jrt and cat will be fine..

IMO you cannot decide a sure my old dog is annoying, needs more training etc and the new dog is just perfect so ill swap… keep the nice new one that’s a dream and give up my old one cause there hassle and needs training.

Not trying to be mean but that’s how I see it.
    IMO your JRT won’t be an adults until after 2 years of age, yes he’s a pain, as I already said so was my cocker until over 2 if im honest, I invested A LOT of time and energy training, since the age of 2 he has been a DREAM dog, now nearly 9 im dreading the day I will have to say goodbye.

invest time and energy in your JRT, train him properly, and you will see a different dog.

The whole things of not bonding with your dog, to me I find this a odd. but what I will say is my husband didn’t really and truly bond with our guy until he calmed down bit, until he was better behaved, at times it has hard to like him (although we always loved him) because he was such a little b*stard and that’s the truth BUT once he was trained better etc my husband grew to like him as he was and now the two are inseparable…

Give you JRT proper training and time… it’s what he deserves and it’s what you agreed to do when you rescued him you can’t go changing the goal posts now because times are tough and you “could swap him” for a nicer dog.

Just my opinion OP…. good luck with your decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I can sense anger and frustration in some of your replies.

I swear, I am NOT one of the stereotype people that buy/rescue a dog and if I dont like it I give it away and replace, it may seem that way but it's not. Otherwise I wouldn't be so upset and torn...would I?!!!

I have had dogs all my life, all my family and friends have always had them. They have always been my fave animal. I am a dog walker, a pet portrait artist and have even done a veterinary assistant course (I cant work with the rescue centres because I have epilepsy and cant get a driving license).

I adore my little terrier although he drives me nuts but I admit, I can be too soft on him and yes I know you must be consistant and stern when it comes to training them. We have tried to fully train him since he was rescued at 9 weeks old and he has improved ALOT but he seems to have just stopped now and wont do anything. I have tried the treats, toys, praise, play etc. but he's difficult BUT I don't want to give him up.

The problem mainly is my boyfriend and him just dont get on, my boyfriend and I have had many rows lately about him and that's where all the stress and tension comes in and that's why I must choose. He admitted he'd prefer us to keep the doberman but deep down I know it's best for us to rehome her elsewhere and work harder on our terrier. My terrier and I have a little routine and he's good for me most of the time.

I don't let him free on the streets at all...no way! That was misunderstood in what I typed, I apoligise. I only let him free with the other dogs in the fields and beach and he'll return there but if he escapes from the front door (if someone walks in and leaves the door open etc) then he's a nightmare to catch.

I know...it's best to rehome the doberman for her sake and for ours and ofcourse the cat. I was terrified our cat would run away but thankfully he didn't. The doberman is more of an indoor dog, and I dont want her used as an outdoor security dog neither so if I was to rehome her, I'm well aware to be careful who to give her to.

People think dobermans are terrifying and it'll be hard to get her a home, as you all know it depends how they're brought up and she is far from fierce!

The weather has finally calmed now so I'm going to take them off for their few hour run now and think more. (I have'nt stopped for so long now, I'm drained).

OP, I do apologise if you think I appeared angry in my response I honestly didn’t mean to cause you further upset.. and I honestly do realise this is a very stressful situation.
    but OP im gonna be honest and say…. it’s not up to your boyfriend which dog you keep - no offence but boyfriends come and go a dog is for life. and that’s what you signed up for when you adopted your jrt.
    but on the other hand I do understand where the conflict lies… and why your upset about the whole thing.

OP why can’t you keep both dogs? im not sure why your rushing around making a rash decision?

you also mention that your know our too soft on him with training well there’s your answer then… be more consistent and keep routine… dogs thrive on routine.

with regard to your boyfriend maybe just maybe if he “helped” you with training your JRT and stopped giving you hassle about not “bonding” with the dog maybe things will improve. its sounds from your post your boyfriend needs to be more included with the dog THEN your dog will start to respond to your boyfriend etc. gave you thought about puppy classes etc? Maybe your jrt and boyfriend could attend together this would help?

what do you feed the dog?

Why does it have to be which dog? can you not keep both?
    tell your boyfriend its take time for everything to settle down and maybe if he helped you more things would be smoother!

sorry OP for reading your posts agin its seems this is mostly be driven by your boyfried and not you...

has he had dogs in his family home while growing up etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

cocker5 wrote: »
    boyfriends come and go a dog is for life.
    !

This.

From what you're saying it sounds like your boyfriend needs to be more supportive and helpful, that's the way it's coming across in your posts, especially if you need to avoid stress, good luck with whatever you do, it's not easy but I do think you need to take a breath and have a think for a few days at least, sounds like you're running yourself ragged and need a rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I have a greyhound coming up on five, and a recently rescued bully breed x who is only ten months old and OH BOY does he have energy to burn! To ensure Josie (greyhound) gets all the naps she needs without the teenager being a pest to her, we have crates. Josie is stretched out in hers snoring while Piper is having his mad half hour tearing around the living room. Otherwise he'd be trying to get her to play and she's not in the mood! Both dogs were introduced to a crate when they first came. It helped with toilet training, gave us somewhere safe to put the dog briefly while we went out (as both were totally uncivilised counter surfers, lol) and it's a place to have a treat in peace so no friction between dogs over goodies.

Just a thought. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I think it's best if I rehome the doberman. Yes, she is perfect in most ways but in the end the terrier is the one I rescued and I rescued him for a reason.

I've always had small breeds and I love affectionate pets, we always had yorkies in the family and I love when my terrier wants to cuddle at night, loads of little things each pet has with their owner. The doberman is cuddly too but in the end she still has to settle and I don't think we can afford the three pets together.

I feed my terrier Gain nuts, 40gr morning and night, he looks like an obese jack russell but he's a cross breed, he's long with short stumpy legs and big ears and gets walked hours per day but he's a chubby little fella. Always finds a way to get more food...often has eaten the cats food so we have to place it away from him up on the tables etc.

I also know a few people that would take either of them if that was to be the case. I have a cousin who has several dogs of all breeds and a big farm and house, he'd love my terrier.

I'm making my boyfriend out to be an a**hole here but he's only being realistic in a way. We're together 12 years. He knows I'm a crazy dog person and some of you are right, he is not as much, and his family are farmers so domestic pets are'nt in their best interest, never were.

We did do one to one training with the terrier before and my boyfriend had to come but you could tell he hated it. He does try to praise and show affection to our terrier but the terrier just walks away and come to me etc.

If I had a car, I'd be in doing the puppy and dog training classes weekly but the lessons are miles from where we live and my OH works full time so I have no way to the lessons.

I think by the end of the week after I speak to a few close dog lover friends (who may be able to take the doberman), I might end up keeping our terrier and getting more stern with him and training. Like I said already, I can be too soft on him. I don't hit him, don't use choke or electric collars or sticks. I have a training lead and he loves his kong toy which is not used as a feeder any longer, I did as a pup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

LAST IN,FIRST OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If I was in your place my allegiance would be to the original dog. Looks like there is no way to accommodate the dobie without turning your house upside down... So you can help to find her a great home elsewhere.
    Your terrier is a pup so it's natural that he needs work I'm afraid... It will pay off if you don't give up on him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Bubs99 wrote: »
    I also know a few people that would take either of them if that was to be the case. I have a cousin who has several dogs of all breeds and a big farm and house, he'd love my terrier.

99% of the time I'd agree with the last in / first out approach but your comments above would have me rethinking in this situation.

Sounds like it could be a great home for your terrier and you would still get to see him. Best of both worlds.

What dog doesn't want to live on a farm :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Swanner wrote: »
    99% of the time I'd agree with the last in / first out approach but your comments above would have me rethinking in this situation.

Sounds like it could be a great home for your terrier and you would still get to see him. Best of both worlds.

What dog doesn't want to live on a farm :-)

Eh a dog who is used to living indoors with his people?...

mhge wrote: »
    Eh a dog who is used to living indoors with his people?...

What's indoors got do with it ? Not all farm dogs live outside.

I'm coming at this from an objective viewpoint. If it's the right thing for the OP, the dog, being a dog, will get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

What's indoors got do with it ? Not all farm dogs live outside.

I'm coming at this from an objective viewpoint. If it's the right thing for the OP, the dog, being a dog, will get over it.

Unless of course any of the many different breeds this farm owner has takes a disliking to the poor tiny pup and starts to torment him. Or that he gets loose on the farm and won't come back to the new owner and ends up getting shot for attacking sheep or gets killed running out onto the road.
    Plus of course you have no idea where this person keeps the dogs he already has, or how he feeds them, the pup might have to adapt to fighting for food if they are not all fed separately, or could be totally sidelined and even attacked if any or all of the other dogs don't like him.
    Farm does not equate better lifestyle if he is still not getting trained and walked sufficiently, and there is absolutely nothing to say that the doberman will not start to act out or misbehave once they have settled in the OPs house, especially if they are already admitting to being too soft. Dogs can unlearn too :o

Maybe the dog would be happier, maybe it won't. Maybe it would work out better for OP. Maybe it won't. All of these things might happen. But then again, they might not. And even if they do, for the most part, issues can be overcome.

I was putting an alternative out there. That's all.

Maybe the dog would be happier, maybe it won't. Maybe it would work out better for OP. Maybe it won't. All of these things might happen. But then again, they might not. And even if they do, for the most part, issues can be overcome.

I was putting an alternative out there. That's all.

Issues with the JRT can be overcome... he's only 15 months for gods sake, and the OP has already admitted shes too soft on him... so rehoming should be the LAST port of call.... from what the OP has posted its not the JRT's fault at all its lack of training and consistency, and im sorry to say thats all the OP's fault. IMO its not fair to rehome the dog when the OP hasnt really put time / effort into the dog.

Plus you cant rehome your unruley dog beacuse your prefer a better trainied one that came along... if the OP trained her JRT correctly there wouldnt be this issue

at the end of the day you will only get back from a dog the time / effort etc you put into him.... simple..

IF the OP was prepared to try a little harder things would be different.

:cool:

Advertisement