Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Allah

• 03-02-2014 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Dear all,

I have one specific question that has been bothering me for quite some time now. Actually, I have many questions regarding Islam but this one has been at the back of my mind recently. Please note that I don't mean to offend anyone.

Is it just me or does Allah come across as a very angry being in the Koran and the hadith?

At day's end, according to Islam, it is He who created us. So why did He create humankind knowing that many of us were destined for hellfire for all of eternity?

For example: Hitler. Hitler slaughtered millions of innocent Jews, only for the Jews to end up going to hell ( for being non- Muslims) and also Hitler for obvious reasons. I mean it was a no- win situation, so why did Allah allow it? Didn't Hitler's mother seriously consider abortion ( I could very well be mistaken here)?

It's very early in the morning and my brain is fried. What I mean is: why create humans knowing that an extremely large proportion will taste hellfire for a very long time?

If Allah is so angered by sins such as not praying to him, not fasting during Ramadan, then why create the chance of punishing people who commit such sins?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ozzz wrote: »
    why create the chance of punishing people who commit such sins?

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Effects wrote: »
    Why not?

Is that it? Please elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Is it just me or does Allah come across as a very angry being in the Koran and the hadith?

He's also very forgiving, merciful and just, depending on what parts of the Koran and hadith you want to focus on.
    At day's end, according to Islam, it is He who created us. So why did He create humankind knowing that many of us were destined for hellfire for all of eternity?

Quran 51:56: "I have only created jinn and men, that they may serve Me."

So that's why we're here. Nobody is born destined for the hellfire. We all have been given a sense of right and wrong, and we determine our own fate through our actions in this life.

Quran 91:8-10: "(The Soul has been given) enlightenment as to its wrong and its right. Truly he succeeds that purifies it. And he fails that corrupts it."

Why would Allah (swt) create mankind, knowing that many of us would (after determining our own fate) end up in hell? He also created mankind knowing many of us would end up in heaven. If we've been given fairly specific instructions on what we should be doing in this life, but choose to not follow it of our own free will, then it's our own fault we end up in hell. If somebody like Hitler uses his free will to cause so much misery in this world, shouldn't there be some form of justice awaiting him?
    For example: Hitler. Hitler slaughtered millions of innocent Jews, only for the Jews to end up going to hell ( for being non- Muslims) and also Hitler for obvious reasons. I mean it was a no- win situation, so why did Allah allow it? Didn't Hitler's mother seriously consider abortion ( I could very well be mistaken here)?

Every person that ever existed will be judged on their own merits - depending on the religion they were born into, on the upbringing, their intellect, their environment, their exposure to Islam etc. I don't think it's so straight forward to say all non-Muslims will go to hell (and conversely, it's definitely not straight forward that all Muslims will go to heaven) - there are a lot of very very good non-Muslims out there, and Allah (swt) is a fair judge, everyone will get what they deserve.
    It's very early in the morning and my brain is fried. What I mean is: why create humans knowing that an extremely large proportion will taste hellfire for a very long time?

If Allah is so angered by sins such as not praying to him, not fasting during Ramadan, then why create the chance of punishing people who commit such sins?

Allah is also extremely happy about acts such as praying, fasting, charity, repentance, acting justly, being patient, etc. and has created the chance of rewarding people who commit such acts. Life isn't a trapdoor, where you make one mistake and you're done for, we've been given ample opportunity to get things right.

In the same way that someone getting a life sentence for a heinous crime isn't a travesty, the whole point of hell is that its reserved for people who deserve to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Why does Allah want us to serve him? What use could Allah have for the servitude of mortals?
    Why would Allah (swt) create mankind, knowing that many of us would (after determining our own fate) end up in hell? He also created mankind knowing many of us would end up in heaven.

A better question is why would Allah create so many arbitrary rules that define if he sends us to heaven and hell.
    If we've been given fairly specific instructions on what we should be doing in this life, but choose to not follow it of our own free will, then it's our own fault we end up in hell.

It's hardly free will if the threat of eternal punishment in hell is used to ensure obedience.
    Every person that ever existed will be judged on their own merits - depending on the religion they were born into, on the upbringing, their intellect, their environment, their exposure to Islam etc. I don't think it's so straight forward to say all non-Muslims will go to hell (and conversely, it's definitely not straight forward that all Muslims will go to heaven) - there are a lot of very very good non-Muslims out there, and Allah (swt) is a fair judge, everyone will get what they deserve.

If people will be judged on their merits regardless of religion, then what is the purpose of Islam?

Why does Allah want us to serve him? What use could Allah have for the servitude of mortals?

Allah (swt) does not have any need or use for our servitude. It is the need of the created, rather than the Creator, to serve Him.

Quran 29:5-6 "For those whose hopes are in the meeting with Allah (in the Hereafter, let them strive); for the Term (appointed) by Allah is surely coming: and He Hears and Knows (all things).
    And if any do strive, they do so for their own souls: for Allah is free of all needs from all creation."

Quran 35:15 "O ye men! It is ye that have need of Allah: but Allah is the One Free of all wants, Worthy of All Praise."
    A better question is why would Allah create so many arbitrary rules that define if he sends us to heaven and hell.

Arbitrary is a matter of perspective. The whole point of this life is that it is a test. It's not an easy test which we'll pass without making sacrifices. So the rules that define whether we go to heaven or hell are mostly targeted at our human desires - be it food during Ramadan, be it greed, alcohol, other intoxicants, gambling, pre-marital relationships, our ego's (when it comes to worshipping a greater being), sleep/laziness (praying 5 times daily), etc. We do benefit in this life from following a lot of the rules, but the real benefit and reward is in the next life.
    It's hardly free will if the threat of eternal punishment in hell is used to ensure obedience.

If a doctor tells an alcoholic patient with liver disease that he needs to stop drinking, otherwise his liver will fail and he might die, that's not a threat to ensure obedience - that's the harsh reality. We wouldn't have true free will if we weren't made aware of the possible consequences of our actions.
    If people will be judged on their merits regardless of religion, then what is the purpose of Islam?

I didn't say people will be judged regardless of their religion - I said the religion a person is born into will be taken into account. It's obviously not a level playing field if some people are born Muslims and others aren't, but how much leniency it would get people if they were aware of Islam and chose not to convert, only Allah (swt) knows. The purpose of Islam is that it is (as we believe) Allah's final message to humanity (after Judaism and then Christianity, with many messengers before both of those), and the best way of maximising our chances of getting into heaven.

• Advertisement

Allah (swt) does not have any need or use for our servitude. It is the need of the created, rather than the Creator, to serve Him.

Quran 29:5-6 "For those whose hopes are in the meeting with Allah (in the Hereafter, let them strive); for the Term (appointed) by Allah is surely coming: and He Hears and Knows (all things).
    And if any do strive, they do so for their own souls: for Allah is free of all needs from all creation."

Quran 35:15 "O ye men! It is ye that have need of Allah: but Allah is the One Free of all wants, Worthy of All Praise."

Why did he create us to "need" to serve him?
    Arbitrary is a matter of perspective. The whole point of this life is that it is a test. It's not an easy test which we'll pass without making sacrifices. So the rules that define whether we go to heaven or hell are mostly targeted at our human desires - be it food during Ramadan, be it greed, alcohol, other intoxicants, gambling, pre-marital relationships, our ego's (when it comes to worshipping a greater being), sleep/laziness (praying 5 times daily), etc. We do benefit in this life from following a lot of the rules, but the real benefit and reward is in the next life.

When it comes to an omniscient, omnipowerful, omniprescent being, everything is arbitrary. Allah has no want or need of anything (as you just above) and he answers to nothing in his actions, therefore the rules he defines are entirely arbitrary. With absolutely no wants, needs, or obligations, there are no specific reasons, at all, for any of his rules. They are entirely and purely arbitrary.
    If heaven is a place where a humans every want and need can be immediately obtained with no suffering or discomfort, then what is the purpose of the tests?
    If a doctor tells an alcoholic patient with liver disease that he needs to stop drinking, otherwise his liver will fail and he might die, that's not a threat to ensure obedience - that's the harsh reality. We wouldn't have true free will if we weren't made aware of the possible consequences of our actions.

Allah is not just a doctor telling a patient what will happen to him, Allah is a god, who defines the universe in such a way that what will happen to the patient, will specifically happen to him. Allah could change the universe so that alcohol no longer damages the liver if he liked, there is no obligation stopping him and we would be unable to tell.
    I didn't say people will be judged regardless of their religion - I said the religion a person is born into will be taken into account. It's obviously not a level playing field if some people are born Muslims and others aren't, but how much leniency it would get people if they were aware of Islam and chose not to convert, only Allah (swt) knows.

This is another way of saying that you don't even know if they will get any leniency at all.
    The purpose of Islam is that it is (as we believe) Allah's final message to humanity (after Judaism and then Christianity, with many messengers before both of those), and the best way of maximising our chances of getting into heaven.

Why can't Allah send us any more messages?

Why did he create us to "need" to serve him?

To test us, to see if we do serve Him.
    When it comes to an omniscient, omnipowerful, omniprescent being, everything is arbitrary. Allah has no want or need of anything (as you just above) and he answers to nothing in his actions, therefore the rules he defines are entirely arbitrary. With absolutely no wants, needs, or obligations, there are no specific reasons, at all, for any of his rules. They are entirely and purely arbitrary.

The purpose of His rules are to test beings who do have wants and needs, and as the rules do test those wants and needs to their core, I wouldn't define them as arbitrary.
    If heaven is a place where a humans every want and need can be immediately obtained with no suffering or discomfort, then what is the purpose of the tests?

To determine who deserves to get to heaven and enjoy those comforts, and who doesn't.
    Allah is not just a doctor telling a patient what will happen to him, Allah is a god, who defines the universe in such a way that what will happen to the patient, will specifically happen to him. Allah could change the universe so that alcohol no longer damages the liver if he liked, there is no obligation stopping him and we would be unable to tell.

Yes, He absolutely could change the universe if He wanted. But this life, being a test, isn't supposed to be free of challenges or suffering, so there would be no reason to change or remove the rules.
    This is another way of saying that you don't even know if they will get any leniency at all.

"Only Allah (swt) knows" does indeed imply that I don't know.
    Why can't Allah send us any more messages?

He could, but He doesn't have anything more to add. We have all the information we need.

To test us, to see if we do serve Him.

The purpose of His rules are to test beings who do have wants and needs, and as the rules do test those wants and needs to their core, I wouldn't define them as arbitrary.

So Allah doesn't need us to serve him, he created us to need to serve him and he tests to see if we do serve him by seeing if we can live without certain wants and needs for our fleeting lives, and reward us by satisfying our every want and need for eternity, and punishes us with an eternity in hell.

All Allah is doing is testing if the "need" he implanted in us has stuck. But why did he put it there in the first place? And why test us with arbitrary limitations? They might be thorough and difficult, but they are still arbitrary - Why one month fasting and not 3 weeks, or 6? Why 5 prayers a day, why not 7 or 2 or none or 20?
    Yes, He absolutely could change the universe if He wanted. But this life, being a test, isn't supposed to be free of challenges or suffering, so there would be no reason to change or remove the rules.

I think you are missing my point a bit here. The challenges and suffering, both in life and after it, are not just pointed out to us by Allah, they are created and defined by Allah. If Allah truly wanted to test if people would serve him of their own free will, then he cannot create a punishment for failing to serve him, as the presence of a punishment impedes a person's free will. And, to repeat, it is not a case of Allah is a doctor saying if you do X, then Y will happen. It is a case of Allah saying if you do X, I will do Y to you. If someone puts a gun to your head and orders you to do something, would your obedience be our of free will?
    "Only Allah (swt) knows" does indeed imply that I don't know.

So is it possible then that Allah would show no leniency to those who do not afford him the servitude he defines as necessary, even despite them being good people otherwise?
    He could, but He doesn't have anything more to add. We have all the information we need.

Evidently not, given that there are about 3 times more non-muslims in the world than muslims.

So Allah doesn't need us to serve him, he created us to need to serve him and he tests to see if we do serve him by seeing if we can live without certain wants and needs for our fleeting lives, and reward us by satisfying our every want and need for eternity, and punishes us with an eternity in hell.

Islam in a nutshell.
    All Allah is doing is testing if the "need" he implanted in us has stuck. But why did he put it there in the first place?

He put our need (in Him) there in the first place, coupled with our desires and free will to obey/disobey, because that's how He chooses to test us.
    And why test us with arbitrary limitations? They might be thorough and difficult, but they are still arbitrary - Why one month fasting and not 3 weeks, or 6? Why 5 prayers a day, why not 7 or 2 or none or 20?

The rules are designed to test us. They are also designed to be practical and do-able. So all of the limitations will fall in between the two - something that's difficult enough to test us, but not so difficult so as to be impractical. Allah (swt), being the one who created us, and who knows us better than we know ourselves, is the best judge of what the specific limitations should be.
    If Allah truly wanted to test if people would serve him of their own free will, then he cannot create a punishment for failing to serve him, as the presence of a punishment impedes a person's free will. And, to repeat, it is not a case of Allah is a doctor saying if you do X, then Y will happen. It is a case of Allah saying if you do X, I will do Y to you. If someone puts a gun to your head and orders you to do something, would your obedience be our of free will?

If there was no punishment for failing to serve Him, and no reward for serving Him, that would defy the whole purpose of our very existence. Knowing the consequences of our actions enables to make more informed decisions with our free will - we would just be ignorant otherwise, and life wouldn't be much of a test, which, to recap, is where we know what we should be doing (and also know the good/bad consequences of same) vs what our human desires want us to do.
    So is it possible then that Allah would show no leniency to those who do not afford him the servitude he defines as necessary, even despite them being good people otherwise?

"Only Allah (swt) knows" yet again implies that I don't know.
    Evidently not, given that there are about 3 times more non-muslims in the world than muslims.

We (humanity) have all the information we need. You don't have to be Muslim to have access to Islamic teachings, certainly not in the today's globalised world. Many will choose not to follow it, and that's their free will, but that doesn't mean that the vast majority aren't aware of Islam or have an opportunity to look into it.

Islam in a nutshell.

But why does he do this at all? He doesn't need anything, so he doesn't need us to serve him, he doesn't need us to need to serve him, he doesn't need to test us to see if we do serve him and he doesn't to reward or punish us if we fail that test.
    He put our need (in Him) there in the first place, coupled with our desires and free will to obey/disobey, because that's how He chooses to test us.

Is that not cruel? To create something to need you so much that you expect it to refrain from urges that you also put in it, with an eternal punishment if the urges (you created) are more powerful that the need (you also created).
    The rules are designed to test us. They are also designed to be practical and do-able. So all of the limitations will fall in between the two - something that's difficult enough to test us, but not so difficult so as to be impractical. Allah (swt), being the one who created us, and who knows us better than we know ourselves, is the best judge of what the specific limitations should be.

The combination of practical and do-able rules Allah could choose is infinite because, don't forget, Allah decides (by being the creator of the universe) what actually is do-able and practical. Any specific limitations are therefore, by definition, arbitrary.
    If there was no punishment for failing to serve Him, and no reward for serving Him, that would defy the whole purpose of our very existence. Knowing the consequences of our actions enables to make more informed decisions with our free will - we would just be ignorant otherwise, and life wouldn't be much of a test, which, to recap, is where we know what we should be doing (and also know the good/bad consequences of same) vs what our human desires want us to do.

You missed my question which points out the problem with this though:
    "If someone puts a gun to your head and orders you to do something, would your obedience be out of free will?"
    "Only Allah (swt) knows" yet again implies that I don't know.

So where did your initial claim that he could be lenient come from then?
    We (humanity) have all the information we need. You don't have to be Muslim to have access to Islamic teachings, certainly not in the today's globalised world. Many will choose not to follow it, and that's their free will, but that doesn't mean that the vast majority aren't aware of Islam or have an opportunity to look into it.

Sure, today, many people do have access to Islamic teachings, but they view them via the environment they were raised in (it's not for nothing that most people in the world follow the religion of their parents). People don't develop opinions or beliefs in total isolation and if Allah really wanted to test if all people would develop a belief in him, shouldn't he have made a world where everyone starts from the same starting pointing?

• Advertisement

But why does he do this at all? He doesn't need anything, so he doesn't need us to serve him, he doesn't need us to need to serve him, he doesn't need to test us to see if we do serve him and he doesn't to reward or punish us if we fail that test.

There isn't always a known answer to every "why?". There's nothing in the Qur'an to my knowledge which would answer that question. If I were to give it a stab, I'd say it's because He can. We're told why we're here, what our purpose in this life is and what happens to us next, that's plenty enough information for us to live our lives by.
    Is that not cruel? To create something to need you so much that you expect it to refrain from urges that you also put in it, with an eternal punishment if the urges (you created) are more powerful that the need (you also created).

Is that not a blessing? We don't need to exist, yet he created us and here we are, and gave us intellect and free will, and has given us a chance to make it into the eternal comforts of heaven. He created urges, and He created the need, but also the free will - the urges are never created more powerful than the need, and vice versa, they're only more powerful if we let them be so through our free will, so it's very much in our own hands.
    The combination of practical and do-able rules Allah could choose is infinite because, don't forget, Allah decides (by being the creator of the universe) what actually is do-able and practical. Any specific limitations are therefore, by definition, arbitrary.

So, going by that logic, everything in the universe is arbitrary, because Allah (swt) could have chosen to create the universe and what's inside it in an infinite number of ways, and anything inside it is therefore arbitrary.
    You missed my question which points out the problem with this though:
    "If someone puts a gun to your head and orders you to do something, would your obedience be out of free will?"

There's a big difference between an immediate consequence of an action and a consequence which is potentially years/decades/a lifetime down the line. If people knew there was a 50% chance that smoking would kill them the second they took a puff, they probably wouldn't smoke. However, because it's something that's not an immediate risk to their lives, people are more likely to choose to smoke, despite knowing the potential implications their actions will have years down the line. Similarly, nobody pulls the trigger the second we do something wrong. Doing one thing wrong, or even many things wrong, doesn't mean we'll end up in hell. Each wrong action doesn't have an immediate repercussion, and it's therefore very easy for us to follow our desires should we want, and to turn a blind eye to the potential implications. Your analogy aside, I get the point you're making about how the promise of heaven and fear of hell impacts on an individual's free will. But once again, that's kind of the whole point - thoughts of the afterlife are supposed to impact on our free will and what we do with it. It helps us appreciate why we need Allah (swt) and is an incentive we need to help overcome our wants with our free will - you would think that it would ensure obedience, but our weakness for our desires is created strong enough to balance things out.
    So where did your initial claim that he could be lenient come from then?

If you're referring to when I said "I don't think it's so straight forward to say all non-Muslims will go to hell", that's speculation on my part, based on various opinions I've come across.
    Sure, today, many people do have access to Islamic teachings, but they view them via the environment they were raised in (it's not for nothing that most people in the world follow the religion of their parents). People don't develop opinions or beliefs in total isolation and if Allah really wanted to test if all people would develop a belief in him, shouldn't he have made a world where everyone starts from the same starting pointing?

Irrespective of the environment we grow up in, we'll still capable of processing information independently and forming an opinion on it. And we don't need to start from the same starting point for us all to be tested - sure the test won't be the same for everyone, but that's why on the day of judgement, everyone will be judged individually on their own merits, taking everything into account.

We're told why we're here, what our purpose in this life is and what happens to us next, that's plenty enough information for us to live our lives by.

Except we are not told why. We are here, that is self-evident, but we are then given a tautology in place of any real purpose: why are we here?-to follow the rules; why should we follow the rules?-because that's why we are here.
    Is that not a blessing? We don't need to exist, yet he created us and here we are, and gave us intellect and free will, and has given us a chance to make it into the eternal comforts of heaven. He created urges, and He created the need, but also the free will - the urges are never created more powerful than the need, and vice versa, they're only more powerful if we let them be so through our free will, so it's very much in our own hands.

Well no, its not a blessing. If Allah didn't create us, then we wouldn't know that he didn't create us so that's moot. Allah could have created us without those inbuilt urges (which would make sense seeing as those urges are supposedly bad) or he could not test or punish us for following urges he specifically put in us.
    So, going by that logic, everything in the universe is arbitrary, because Allah (swt) could have chosen to create the universe and what's inside it in an infinite number of ways, and anything inside it is therefore arbitrary.

Exactly.
    There's a big difference between an immediate consequence of an action and a consequence which is potentially years/decades/a lifetime down the line. If people knew there was a 50% chance that smoking would kill them the second they took a puff, they probably wouldn't smoke. However, because it's something that's not an immediate risk to their lives, people are more likely to choose to smoke, despite knowing the potential implications their actions will have years down the line. Similarly, nobody pulls the trigger the second we do something wrong. Doing one thing wrong, or even many things wrong, doesn't mean we'll end up in hell. Each wrong action doesn't have an immediate repercussion, and it's therefore very easy for us to follow our desires should we want, and to turn a blind eye to the potential implications. Your analogy aside, I get the point you're making about how the promise of heaven and fear of hell impacts on an individual's free will. But once again, that's kind of the whole point - thoughts of the afterlife are supposed to impact on our free will and what we do with it. It helps us appreciate why we need Allah (swt) and is an incentive we need to help overcome our wants with our free will - you would think that it would ensure obedience, but our weakness for our desires is created strong enough to balance things out.

There are two problems with this:
    Firstly, the issue with immediate consequences versus delayed consequences is a result of humans being inherently very bad at evaluating long terms risks, which is a behaviour Allah specifically put in humans. This means that Allah wanted us to know the ultimate consequence to our behaviour, but also impeded our ability to fully appreciate that consequence.
    Secondly, it calls into question what exactly it is that the test is testing. If we can assume that people do properly appreciate the rewards/punishment of heaven and hell, all we can say about life, as a test, is that it shows that humans will follow seemingly arbitrary rules if the reward & punishment is sufficient. These people don't serve Allah, they serve the reward.
    Irrespective of the environment we grow up in, we'll still capable of processing information independently and forming an opinion on it. And we don't need to start from the same starting point for us all to be tested - sure the test won't be the same for everyone, but that's why on the day of judgement, everyone will be judged individually on their own merits, taking everything into account.

Most people are only capable of independent thought if their developmental environment encouraged it. Again, it's not for nothing that people tend to have the same religion as their parents, but people also tend to have the same biases as their parents (and peers). Allah could have created a universe where all societies just inherently raise all children to be blank slates, as far as opinions and beliefs are considered (simply by putting in another of those urges he is so fond of). Children raised to be curious and insightful, with competing ideas presented to them but with none simply indoctrinated as being "the right answer" before they even understand the question.

Except we are not told why. We are here, that is self-evident, but we are then given a tautology in place of any real purpose: why are we here?-to follow the rules; why should we follow the rules?-because that's why we are here.

There's a very real purpose. We are here because Allah (swt) created us to follow rules, and we should follow those rules because if we do, we get into heaven. That's the purpose of this life, and we've been given all the information we need to full-fill that purpose. Why He chose to create us is the answer we're not given - but as I said, there isn't always a known answer to every "why?". You take what you're given, and decide what you want to do with it. We can either believe it and try following the rules, or else we can decide not to believe it and continue living our fleeting lives and follow our worldly desires. It's really as simple as that.
    Well no, its not a blessing. If Allah didn't create us, then we wouldn't know that he didn't create us so that's moot. Allah could have created us without those inbuilt urges (which would make sense seeing as those urges are supposedly bad) or he could not test or punish us for following urges he specifically put in us.

He has created me, and given me intellect, and countless other blessings and comforts in this life, as well as the opportunity to get into heaven - I'm very grateful for all that, so I'll count my existence as a blessing. There's not really much point in speculating what He could have done differently - He has done what He decided to do, and He has inbuilt those urges (which test us), and He is testing us, and He will reward or punish us according to what we do with our free will.
    Exactly.

Exactly indeed. There's no point in me suggesting that something isn't arbitrary when you're definition of arbitrary is everything that exists.
    This means that Allah wanted us to know the ultimate consequence to our behaviour, but also impeded our ability to fully appreciate that consequence.

We do have the ability to fully appreciate that consequence. Our urges/weakness will encourage us to ignore the long-term consequence and focus on the short-term, but we still have the capacity and free will to focus on the consequences and act accordingly should we want to.
    Secondly, it calls into question what exactly it is that the test is testing. If we can assume that people do properly appreciate the rewards/punishment of heaven and hell, all we can say about life, as a test, is that it shows that humans will follow seemingly arbitrary rules if the reward & punishment is sufficient. These people don't serve Allah, they serve the reward.

Humans always serve reward, whether we believe in a greater being or not. The test is whether we prioritise the immediate rewards of this life, or the rewards of the next.
    Most people are only capable of independent thought if their developmental environment encouraged it. Again, it's not for nothing that people tend to have the same religion as their parents, but people also tend to have the same biases as their parents (and peers). Allah could have created a universe where all societies just inherently raise all children to be blank slates, as far as opinions and beliefs are considered (simply by putting in another of those urges he is so fond of). Children raised to be curious and insightful, with competing ideas presented to them but with none simply indoctrinated as being "the right answer" before they even understand the question.

Quran 91:8-10: "(The Soul has been given) enlightenment as to its wrong and its right. Truly he succeeds that purifies it. And he fails that corrupts it."

We are all capable of independent thought and deciding for ourselves what we consider to be right or wrong. That thinking might be hampered by a certain upbringing, but that doesn't preclude independent thought from taking place altogether. And once again, Allah (swt) could have created the universe differently, but He hasn't done, we don't need to start from the same starting point for us all to be tested individually.

We can either believe it and try following the rules, or else we can decide not to believe it and continue living our fleeting lives and follow our worldly desires. It's really as simple as that.

But don't you think that a lot, lot more people might decide to follow the rules if there was a clear answer for why he chose to create us? Many religions lack this clarity and this means that to outsiders those religions all look the same.
    There's not really much point in speculating what He could have done differently - He has done what He decided to do, and He has inbuilt those urges (which test us), and He is testing us, and He will reward or punish us according to what we do with our free will.

What I am trying to get across is that we are given a list of things Allah supposedly did and wants us to do, but with no motivation or personality explained, at all. So how can people say they believe in and serve Allah if they can't say anything about Allah himself at all? What is Allah? What is his purpose, his drive?
    Exactly indeed. There's no point in me suggesting that something isn't arbitrary when you're definition of arbitrary is everything that exists.

My definition of arbitrary is the dictionary one. If Allah is all powerful and all-knowing, then Allah has no obligations in any sense of the word and therefore anything he does is completely random and arbitrary.
    We do have the ability to fully appreciate that consequence. Our urges/weakness will encourage us to ignore the long-term consequence and focus on the short-term, but we still have the capacity and free will to focus on the consequences and act accordingly should we want to.

You just proved my point - we do have the ability to understand long term consequences but that ability is impeded, massively, by how urges effect our free-will.
    Humans always serve reward, whether we believe in a greater being or not. The test is whether we prioritise the immediate rewards of this life, or the rewards of the next.

But we are made to prioritise short term over long term rewards, through the urges that Allah has made inherent in us. So, like I said before, all Allah is testing is how strong the urges (he put in us) are.

We are all capable of independent thought and deciding for ourselves what we consider to be right or wrong. That thinking might be hampered by a certain upbringing, but that doesn't preclude independent thought from taking place altogether. And once again, Allah (swt) could have created the universe differently, but He hasn't done, we don't need to start from the same starting point for us all to be tested individually.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not for nothing that people tend to have the same religion as their parents, but people also tend to have the same biases as their parents (and peers). The influence of your developmental environment is huge and, at the very least, it creates a massive obstacle for people to overcome when presented with unusual ideas. Non-muslims have a lot more to work against in life-test than muslims, for one they must independently develop a belief in Allah (most of the time in competition with an already held), something which muslims simply do not have to do. We might be tested individually, but we are not even remotely tested equally.

But don't you think that a lot, lot more people might decide to follow the rules if there was a clear answer for why he chose to create us? Many religions lack this clarity and this means that to outsiders those religions all look the same.

Maybe more people might have done, but just like kids who play the "why" game, where every answer to a question is replied to with another "why?", I'm sure people would have found another "why?" even if they got the answer to why He chose to create us.
    What I am trying to get across is that we are given a list of things Allah supposedly did and wants us to do, but with no motivation or personality explained, at all. So how can people say they believe in and serve Allah if they can't say anything about Allah himself at all? What is Allah? What is his purpose, his drive?

People can say they believe in and serve Allah (swt) by looking at His creation and reading His message. It's not a prerequisite to know Him. Either we're on this planet because of a big bang which happened of its own accord and there's no greater purpose behind our existence, or the universe was created by a greater being who has created a purpose for us. It's up to each of us to decide which of the two we want to believe in.
    My definition of arbitrary is the dictionary one. If Allah is all powerful and all-knowing, then Allah has no obligations in any sense of the word and therefore anything he does is completely random and arbitrary.

Even if Allah (swt) has no obligations, it doesn't mean that there's no reason or system behind what He does. If we don't know or don't have the capacity to understand His reason or system, that's a reflection on our limited minds, and we're not really in a position to be able to call it arbitrary.
    You just proved my point - we do have the ability to understand long term consequences but that ability is impeded, massively, by how urges effect our free-will.

We are not paralysed by our urges, even if they do impact on our free will (which they are supposed to). We are still in control, and have the free will to make conscious decisions on what we do with our lives.
    But we are made to prioritise short term over long term rewards, through the urges that Allah has made inherent in us. So, like I said before, all Allah is testing is how strong the urges (he put in us) are.

We are made to prioritise short term rewards, and that's our test - those of us who use our free will to overcome the short term urges and focus on the long term rewards are the ones who will succeed in the afterlife.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not for nothing that people tend to have the same religion as their parents, but people also tend to have the same biases as their parents (and peers). The influence of your developmental environment is huge and, at the very least, it creates a massive obstacle for people to overcome when presented with unusual ideas. Non-muslims have a lot more to work against in life-test than muslims, for one they must independently develop a belief in Allah (most of the time in competition with an already held), something which muslims simply do not have to do. We might be tested individually, but we are not even remotely tested equally.

Non-Muslims do have a lot more to work against, and we're not tested equally, and that's why on the day of judgement, we'll all be individually judged according to how difficult our test was. Allah (swt) is a fair judge, and he'll know every thought and action of our lives.

Maybe more people might have done, but just like kids who play the "why" game, where every answer to a question is replied to with another "why?", I'm sure people would have found another "why?" even if they got the answer to why He chose to create us.

So don't give us an answer because there may be a follow up question? You realise how weak that sounds as a justification for the act of a god?
    People can say they believe in and serve Allah (swt) by looking at His creation and reading His message. It's not a prerequisite to know Him. Either we're on this planet because of a big bang which happened of its own accord and there's no greater purpose behind our existence, or the universe was created by a greater being who has created a purpose for us. It's up to each of us to decide which of the two we want to believe in.

But people cannot say that they believe in and serve Allah if they cannot say anything about him. What he did doesn't tell us anything about him if we do not have the first clue as to why he did it. How can you believe in something you can't describe? How would you recognise it?
    Even if Allah (swt) has no obligations, it doesn't mean that there's no reason or system behind what He does. If we don't know or don't have the capacity to understand His reason or system, that's a reflection on our limited minds, and we're not really in a position to be able to call it arbitrary.

If Allah has no obligations then his reason or system is simply personal whim, which is arbitrary by definition.
    We are not paralysed by our urges, even if they do impact on our free will (which they are supposed to). We are still in control, and have the free will to make conscious decisions on what we do with our lives.

We are made to prioritise short term rewards, and that's our test - those of us who use our free will to overcome the short term urges and focus on the long term rewards are the ones who will succeed in the afterlife.

I never said paralysed, I said impeded.
    If we can successfully control our urges then they won't impede on our free will, which is the same as having no urges, just free will. If the test is to see that we can reject those urges, then the test is seeing if we can live according to just free will which means the test is only testing if we can reject the urges Allah puts in us (as a rational person, acting with free will un-impeded by short-term urges, will act according to the best long term consequence).

But then again, what is free will but a collection of urges itself?
    Non-Muslims do have a lot more to work against, and we're not tested equally, and that's why on the day of judgement, we'll all be individually judged according to how difficult our test was. Allah (swt) is a fair judge, and he'll know every thought and action of our lives.

But if Allah can test us individually with unequal tests, but be certain that those tests do reflect each persons unequal life, then why does he need to test us at all? Doesn't this just imply that he knows what tests we will or won't fail?

So don't give us an answer because there may be a follow up question? You realise how weak that sounds as a justification for the act of a god?

So your question goes from why did He choose to create us, to why did He not tell us why He chose to create us. Once again, He's already given us the answers to enough "why's" to give us direction in this life, and we won't get the answers to all the "why's" that we crave. You take what you're given, and decide whether you want to believe in and follow it or not.
    But people cannot say that they believe in and serve Allah if they cannot say anything about him. What he did doesn't tell us anything about him if we do not have the first clue as to why he did it. How can you believe in something you can't describe? How would you recognise it?

Believing in Allah is a simple as believing that there is a greater being that created the universe. We don't have to know why He did it, or how to describe or recognise Him, to believe it was done and that He exists. We exist, the universe exists, and it's not a far stretch to believe it was created by a greater being.
    If Allah has no obligations then his reason or system is simply personal whim, which is arbitrary by definition.

If we don't know or don't have the capacity to understand His reason or system, we're not really in a position to call it arbitrary. It's fine a term to describe human behaviour, which we can compare against relative norms - and reasons/systems that do make sense to us, but you can't apply the same rules when you talk about a greater being, the exact nature of whom we know relatively little of.
    which means the test is only testing if we can reject the urges Allah puts in

Yeup, that's the test. And I suppose free will is but a collection of urges itself, but also having the capacity to choose which urges we want to follow.
    Doesn't this just imply that he knows what tests we will or won't fail?

Yeah, fair question. He does know what tests we will or won't fail and that's a reflection on His Divinity, which is beyond human comprehension - like for example, us trying to understand how it's possible for a greater being to be not bound by time and to have always existed. He can still give us the free will to determine our own fate ourselves, and at the same time know what our eventual fate would be. Maybe it's because He is not time bound like we are and can look at our lives from the future and see what we have done to know what we will do, but that's speculation and neither here nor there. But we don't know what tests we will or won't fail, and we do have free will to make conscious decisions, so we have to work on our good deeds as much as we can because we don’t know the outcome. It's a difficult concept to grasp.

By the way, I've got an exam coming up next Friday, and need to get the head down for it, so apologies in advance if I don't respond to any posts until after it.

So your question goes from why did He choose to create us, to why did He not tell us why He chose to create us. Once again, He's already given us the answers to enough "why's" to give us direction in this life, and we won't get the answers to all the "why's" that we crave. You take what you're given, and decide whether you want to believe in and follow it or not.

I'm asking both questions because one follows from the other. If you ask someone why and they won't tell you, is the obvious question not to ask them why they wont tell you? And the reason for the first question is because he hasn't given us any answer to a why question, all he has given is orders and a tautology telling us we must follow those orders because we are made to follow those orders.
    Believing in Allah is a simple as believing that there is a greater being that created the universe. We don't have to know why He did it, or how to describe or recognise Him, to believe it was done and that He exists. We exist, the universe exists, and it's not a far stretch to believe it was created by a greater being.

Even starting from a point of view that the universe was created you can't arrive at a believe in Allah if you have no notion of who or what Allah is. I believe someone created my laptop, but can I say anything about him or her just based on that fact my laptop exists?
    If we don't know or don't have the capacity to understand His reason or system, we're not really in a position to call it arbitrary. It's fine a term to describe human behaviour, which we can compare against relative norms - and reasons/systems that do make sense to us, but you can't apply the same rules when you talk about a greater being, the exact nature of whom we know relatively little of.

We don't need to understand it, we only need to add up the very certain criteria that is attributed to Allah. If Allah is omnipowerful and omniscient then there can be no system he acts under obliging him to do anything. If he is omnipowerful and omniscient, then there is no (specific) reason for him to do anything. If he acts, it is purely based on random impulse. To suggest otherwise is to suggest that Allah must do something but, be definition, there is nothing Allah must do.
    Yeup, that's the test. And I suppose free will is but a collection of urges itself, but also having the capacity to choose which urges we want to follow.

But that means that he is only testing himself.
    Don't forget that the act of choosing is simply the act of giving into one urge over another.
    Yeah, fair question. He does know what tests we will or won't fail and that's a reflection on His Divinity, which is beyond human comprehension - like for example, us trying to understand how it's possible for a greater being to be not bound by time and to have always existed. He can still give us the free will to determine our own fate ourselves, and at the same time know what our eventual fate would be. Maybe it's because He is not time bound like we are and can look at our lives from the future and see what we have done to know what we will do, but that's speculation and neither here nor there. But we don't know what tests we will or won't fail, and we do have free will to make conscious decisions, so we have to work on our good deeds as much as we can because we don’t know the outcome. It's a difficult concept to grasp..

We might have free will from our point of view, but do we have free will from Allahs? If Allah is timeless and creates all aspects of us, then, to him, we are like wind-up dolls, simultaneously heading off, on our way and arrive at a beginning, journey and destination, that he is unavoidably aware of at all times. It might feel like free will to us (those urges again) but is it really free?
    By the way, I've got an exam coming up next Friday, and need to get the head down for it, so apologies in advance if I don't respond to any posts until after it.

No problem, your exams are more important than this thread, good luck :)

If you ask someone why and they won't tell you, is the obvious question not to ask them why they wont tell you? And the reason for the first question is because he hasn't given us any answer to a why question, all he has given is orders and a tautology telling us we must follow those orders because we are made to follow those orders.

We don't know why He chose to create us, and we also don't know why He didn't tell us why He chose to create us. We haven't been given all the answers, but we've been given enough answers to know what to do in this lifetime. So we must make do with what we have - and decide whether we want to believe in and follow it, or not.
    Even starting from a point of view that the universe was created you can't arrive at a believe in Allah if you have no notion of who or what Allah is. I believe someone created my laptop, but can I say anything about him or her just based on that fact my laptop exists?

If you start from a point of view that the universe was created, then it follows that there was a creator. You don't need to be able to say anything about the person who created your laptop, apart from the fact that that person exists.
    We don't need to understand it, we only need to add up the very certain criteria that is attributed to Allah. If Allah is omnipowerful and omniscient then there can be no system he acts under obliging him to do anything. If he is omnipowerful and omniscient, then there is no (specific) reason for him to do anything. If he acts, it is purely based on random impulse. To suggest otherwise is to suggest that Allah must do something but, be definition, there is nothing Allah must do.

I'll maintain just because there is nothing Allah (swt) must do, it doesn't mean that what he does do is without logic. His abilities are beyond our comprehension, and if can't understand His actions fully, we're not really in a position to draw conclusions about the reasons/motivations behind them.
    But that means that he is only testing himself.
    Don't forget that the act of choosing is simply the act of giving into one urge over another. We might have free will from our point of view, but do we have free will from Allahs? If Allah is timeless and creates all aspects of us, then, to him, we are like wind-up dolls, simultaneously heading off, on our way and arrive at a beginning, journey and destination, that he is unavoidably aware of at all times. It might feel like free will to us (those urges again) but is it really free?

If He has given us free will to choose between right and wrong (which He tells us He has), and has told us that our fate lies in our actions through how we exercise our free will, then we do have free will. Is it really free, if He still knows the outcome? Yes, because Him knowing reflects on His Divinity, He knows, but He doesn't make us do. Here are a few relevant verses:

Quran 76:3 "We have shown man the path of truth and the path of falsehood; he may choose either the path of guidance and offer the thanks, or choose the path of ingratitude."

Quran 99:7-8 "Whoever does the smallest good deed shall experience the result of it, and whoever does the slightest evil deed shall experience the result of it."

Quran 16:93 "If Allah so willed, He could make you all one people. But He leaves straying whom He pleases, and He guides whom He pleases: but ye shall certainly be called to account for all your actions."

The last one's interesting, because it says Allah (swt) does influence not only where we start off from in life, but also can further guide or leave individuals astray within life. But before people think that they're off the hook for being left astray, they're reminded that they're still accountable for all their actions, so this means that they'll still be judged on the actions they make with their free will whilst "being astray" - all our advantages and disadvantages at the start of and during life will be taken into account on the day of judgement.
    No problem, your exams are more important than this thread, good luck :)

Cheers, twas grand!

We don't know why He chose to create us, and we also don't know why He didn't tell us why He chose to create us. We haven't been given all the answers, but we've been given enough answers to know what to do in this lifetime. So we must make do with what we have - and decide whether we want to believe in and follow it, or not.

But can you call what you have answers though? Do they really explain anything, or are they just wordier versions of "because thats the way it is" type responses to "why?" questions?
    If you start from a point of view that the universe was created, then it follows that there was a creator. You don't need to be able to say anything about the person who created your laptop, apart from the fact that that person exists.

But like I said, you may infer that there was a creator, but you can't say anything about that creator just from that inferral. You have no description of the god you believe in, so how can you believe in it?
    I'll maintain just because there is nothing Allah (swt) must do, it doesn't mean that what he does do is without logic. His abilities are beyond our comprehension, and if can't understand His actions fully, we're not really in a position to draw conclusions about the reasons/motivations behind them.

It is without logic if it has no purpose. Allah is omnipowerful and omniscient, right? That means he is in a timeless extant state of already knowingness, already satedness. Such a being acting at all is illogical, to claim otherwise is to assert understanding of his actions, understanding not given by the texts supposedly inspired by him.
    Is it really free, if He still knows the outcome? Yes, because Him knowing reflects on His Divinity, He knows, but He doesn't make us do.

Well, except he does make us do. He doesn't just know passively, his omnipower and omniscience together mean that he is actively setting every boundary and parameter of the entire universe, and our souls and our urges, that result in every action we take. Him knowing something about someone or something in the universe is Him doing, as he is responsible for all of it.
    Quran 16:93 "If Allah so willed, He could make you all one people. But He leaves straying whom He pleases, and He guides whom He pleases: but ye shall certainly be called to account for all your actions."

The last one's interesting, because it says Allah (swt) does influence not only where we start off from in life, but also can further guide or leave individuals astray within life. But before people think that they're off the hook for being left astray, they're reminded that they're still accountable for all their actions, so this means that they'll still be judged on the actions they make with their free will whilst "being astray" - all our advantages and disadvantages at the start of and during life will be taken into account on the day of judgement.

But how are they our actions if its Allah who is guiding and straying? People being guided is just people following certain urges Allah puts into us, but people straying is just people following (other) urges Allah puts into us. This just proves my point, that Allah is testing himself.

• Advertisement

But can you call what you have answers though? Do they really explain anything, or are they just wordier versions of "because thats the way it is" type responses to "why?" questions?

Yes, I can call what I have as answers. Allah created us to serve Him. I don't need the answers to all they why's to believe in that - Islam as a whole makes enough sense to me. Besides, every "why" game ultimately ends with a "because that's the way it is" type answer anyway, so you're never going to get all the answers you want.
    But like I said, you may infer that there was a creator, but you can't say anything about that creator just from that inferral. You have no description of the god you believe in, so how can you believe in it?

Once again, you don't have to be able to describe a greater being to believe that one exists.
    It is without logic if it has no purpose. Allah is omnipowerful and omniscient, right? That means he is in a timeless extant state of already knowingness, already satedness. Such a being acting at all is illogical, to claim otherwise is to assert understanding of his actions, understanding not given by the texts supposedly inspired by him.

To claim such a being acting at all is illogical is, in my opinion, naivety. We don't have the capacity to understand His actions, much less draw conclusions on them.
    Well, except he does make us do. He doesn't just know passively, his omnipower and omniscience together mean that he is actively setting every boundary and parameter of the entire universe, and our souls and our urges, that result in every action we take. Him knowing something about someone or something in the universe is Him doing, as he is responsible for all of it.
    But how are they our actions if its Allah who is guiding and straying? People being guided is just people following certain urges Allah puts into us, but people straying is just people following (other) urges Allah puts into us. This just proves my point, that Allah is testing himself.

People who are guided still have the free will to do right and wrong within "being guided", and that's what they'll be judged on. Even if they're guided, they still won't do everything right, and same goes for people "being astray" - different tests, different marking schemes. Allah (swt) is still testing us and the free will He put into us. As per the quotes in the last post, we are responsible for our own actions, and do posses free will to choose between right and wrong.

Yes, I can call what I have as answers. Allah created us to serve Him. I don't need the answers to all they why's to believe in that - Islam as a whole makes enough sense to me. Besides, every "why" game ultimately ends with a "because that's the way it is" type answer anyway, so you're never going to get all the answers you want.

You keep saying that you don't need the answers to all the "why" questions, but in reality you don't have the answers to any "why" question. That's because all of your "answers" just say "because Allah did it that way", but by your own admission, you don't know anything about Allah, his nature or motivations, so those answers tell you nothing.
    Once again, you don't have to be able to describe a greater being to believe that one exists.

You need to be able to describe something definitive about it, to at least ensure that you can differentiate between it and the alternative greater beings proposed by other religions. And this discussion is about a specific greater being, not just a generic concept of one.
    To claim such a being acting at all is illogical is, in my opinion, naivety. We don't have the capacity to understand His actions, much less draw conclusions on them.

It's not naivety, for the reason I explained already, using only aspects of Allah claimed in Islam (omniscience and omnipotence). If we don't have the capacity to understand his actions then how can any muslim make claims concerning them?
    People who are guided still have the free will to do right and wrong within "being guided"

No, because as I said already: "People being guided is just people following certain urges Allah puts into us, but people straying is just people following (other) urges Allah puts into us". Even your counter argument here proves this, as it just means that divine guidance is yet another urge that Allah puts in us, in competition with the other urges he already put in us.

You missed this bit too:

You keep saying that you don't need the answers to all the "why" questions, but in reality you don't have the answers to any "why" question. That's because all of your "answers" just say "because Allah did it that way", but by your own admission, you don't know anything about Allah, his nature or motivations, so those answers tell you nothing.

Nothing? We have knowledge that Allah (swt) created us, that he created us to serve Him, that He created us with free will and the ability to both recognise and choose between right and wrong, and that our final end will be heaven or hell, based on our actions. Those answers give purpose and direction to my life. You can't classify all that as "nothing" based on the fact that you don't have all the answers that you want.
    You need to be able to describe something definitive about it, to at least ensure that you can differentiate between it and the alternative greater beings proposed by other religions. And this discussion is about a specific greater being, not just a generic concept of one.

You're getting into comparing religions and why one god and not another. In that case, one can read the various texts of the different religions and decide which one they believe makes the most sense. But even then, you're not reading the description of a god, but only the instructions that are given, in which case one's belief would again not be based on something they can describe.
    It's not naivety, for the reason I explained already, using only aspects of Allah claimed in Islam (omniscience and omnipotence). If we don't have the capacity to understand his actions then how can any muslim make claims concerning them?

The difference is that you're making conclusions on Allah's (swt) motivations, and why He would even bother to do anything - despite not knowing very much about Him, whereas Muslims making claims (not sure exactly which type of claims you're referring to, but I'll hazard a guess) about the rationale behind some of his actions/rules do so by observing their effect on us and drawing conclusions from that (by virtue of a controlled-type study, where one can observe the effect on some people do follow the rules vs on those that don't), or for rules that can't be tested as such, by using our common sense and what available knowledge we have at our disposal to come to conclusions and interpretations - with an appreciation that our knowledge is limited, and that we could be wrong in our interpretations.
    No, because as I said already: "People being guided is just people following certain urges Allah puts into us, but people straying is just people following (other) urges Allah puts into us". Even your counter argument here proves this, as it just means that divine guidance is yet another urge that Allah puts in us, in competition with the other urges he already put in us.

As I said earlier, urges (whether inherent or further ones Allah (swt) puts into us) do not overpower us - they are a suggestion in our minds and we are not compelled to always follow them, as every urge will have a counter-urge, and no matter how strong or weak either urge might be, we STILL have free will and the capacity to do right or wrong, and STILL have the capacity to choose between the two. Guided people don't become zombies who fail to do any wrong.
    You missed this bit too:

I didn't. I included it in the quotes, because my subsequent response dealing with free will adequately covered the it. "As per the quotes in the last post, we are responsible for our own actions, and do posses free will to choose between right and wrong." Allah (swt) has made us responsible for our own actions by giving us the free will to choose between right and wrong.

Nothing? We have knowledge that Allah (swt) created us, that he created us to serve Him, that He created us with free will and the ability to both recognise and choose between right and wrong, and that our final end will be heaven or hell, based on our actions. Those answers give purpose and direction to my life. You can't classify all that as "nothing" based on the fact that you don't have all the answers that you want.

It's all nothing because your concept of Allah is nothing. You have no notion of what Allah is, what his motivations are, why he did what he did and why he wants us to do what he supposedly wants us to do. Allah is just a label for a big bunch of "I don't know"s.
    You're getting into comparing religions and why one god and not another. In that case, one can read the various texts of the different religions and decide which one they believe makes the most sense. But even then, you're not reading the description of a god, but only the instructions that are given, in which case one's belief would again not be based on something they can describe.

But you are only following the specific instructions of a specific god because you believe that specific god exists. If no one can describe the god they each believe in, doesn't that make their following of their religion a matter of whether or not they accept those specific rules?
    The difference is that you're making conclusions on Allah's (swt) motivations, and why He would even bother to do anything - despite not knowing very much about Him, whereas Muslims making claims (not sure exactly which type of claims you're referring to, but I'll hazard a guess) about the rationale behind some of his actions/rules do so by observing their effect on us and drawing conclusions from that (by virtue of a controlled-type study, where one can observe the effect on some people do follow the rules vs on those that don't), or for rules that can't be tested as such, by using our common sense and what available knowledge we have at our disposal to come to conclusions and interpretations - with an appreciation that our knowledge is limited, and that we could be wrong in our interpretations.

I am making claims using the only things we know about him (or, at least, the only concrete things claimed about him). It is muslims who are making assumptions about him and his rules, in the face of contradicting evidence (it's not muslims countries that come up top as the most peaceful, most happy or most gender equal countries in the world).
    As I said earlier, urges (whether inherent or further ones Allah (swt) puts into us) do not overpower us - they are a suggestion in our minds and we are not compelled to always follow them, as every urge will have a counter-urge, and no matter how strong or weak either urge might be, we STILL have free will and the capacity to do right or wrong, and STILL have the capacity to choose between the two. Guided people don't become zombies who fail to do any wrong.

But urges, counter-urges and free-will (a name for the cumulation of your urges) all come directly from Allah.
    I didn't. I included it in the quotes, because my subsequent response dealing with free will adequately covered the it. "As per the quotes in the last post, we are responsible for our own actions, and do posses free will to choose between right and wrong." Allah (swt) has made us responsible for our own actions by giving us the free will to choose between right and wrong.

That is a response to the other paragraph, but it doesn't really address the point I was making here: "Him knowing something about someone or something in the universe is Him doing, as he is responsible for all of it.". Free-will isn't free if it is a pre-determined construction of an all-powerful, all-knowing being.

It's all nothing because your concept of Allah is nothing. You have no notion of what Allah is, what his motivations are, why he did what he did and why he wants us to do what he supposedly wants us to do. Allah is just a label for a big bunch of "I don't know"s.

"What His motivations are", "Why He did what He did", and "Why He wants us to do what He wants us to do" are all different ways of asking the one "why?" question. If you still want to fixate on that and use it to dismiss everything else as "nothing" because you want all the answers that we're not given, then that's up to you. My concept of Allah (swt) is this - He is the creator of the universe, He is one (and not part of a trinity), He guides us, He is merciful, all-knowing, all-powerful, the best and the wisest of judges, eternally living, and there are plenty more descriptions here. We might not know everything about Him, but we know plenty enough to be able to decide whether we want to believe in and follow Him, or not.
    But you are only following the specific instructions of a specific god because you believe that specific god exists. If no one can describe the god they each believe in, doesn't that make their following of their religion a matter of whether or not they accept those specific rules?

It's simple really. Firstly, either you believe that the universe spontaneously came into existence, or that it was created by a greater being. If one believes in the latter, then you have to decide from the various religions that exist which you believe to be the true word of that greater being, and that's the greater being you will believe in (although there are people in between who do believe in a greater being, but not organised religion). It's belief by inspecting the available evidence, rather than belief by being able to describe the greater being (which was your original point). Whether people actually follow their religion subsequently is a question of how deep their belief is (if they don't accept some specific rules, then then don't completely believe in the religion), and dedication (being able to overcome urges and to do what their religion tells them to).
    I am making claims using the only things we know about him (or, at least, the only concrete things claimed about him). It is muslims who are making assumptions about him and his rules, in the face of contradicting evidence (it's not muslims countries that come up top as the most peaceful, most happy or most gender equal countries in the world).

Fair enough, but the question is, are Muslim countries not doing so well because of Islam, or because of other factors. Throughout history, various regions of the world have gone through troubled times for a variety of reasons - whether it was Europe only a few decades ago, or North Africa / Middle East / South Asia (Muslim-predominant countries) in more recent times. Poverty, education, war, corruption, revolutions, regional instability etc. will all take their toll.
    But urges, counter-urges and free-will (a name for the cumulation of your urges) all come directly from Allah.
    That is a response to the other paragraph, but it doesn't really address the point I was making here: "Him knowing something about someone or something in the universe is Him doing, as he is responsible for all of it.". Free-will isn't free if it is a pre-determined construction of an all-powerful, all-knowing being.

Everything does come from Allah (swt), including our free will and the ability to make choices. The fact that He has given us the free will, means He is not "doing" - we are responsible for our actions. As I said earlier, He can still give us the free will to determine our own fate ourselves, and at the same time know what our eventual fate would be. That's His Divinity.

My concept of Allah (swt) is this - He is the creator of the universe, He is one (and not part of a trinity), He guides us, He is merciful, all-knowing, all-powerful, the best and the wisest of judges, eternally living, and there are plenty more descriptions here. We might not know everything about Him, but we know plenty enough to be able to decide whether we want to believe in and follow Him, or not.

Your concepts of Allah all describe his motivations and personality, but if humans can never understand the reasoning Allah uses while being all merciful, wisest of judges etc. then how we can we recognise if he is all merciful, wisest of judges etc?
    It's belief by inspecting the available evidence, rather than belief by being able to describe the greater being (which was your original point).

How can you believe in something specific if you can't describe it from the evidence in front of you? Doesn't the evidence have to describe something specific for you to specifically believe in it?
    Fair enough, but the question is, are Muslim countries not doing so well because of Islam, or because of other factors. Throughout history, various regions of the world have gone through troubled times for a variety of reasons - whether it was Europe only a few decades ago, or North Africa / Middle East / South Asia (Muslim-predominant countries) in more recent times. Poverty, education, war, corruption, revolutions, regional instability etc. will all take their toll.

Sure, all countries do go through periods of unrest, and the countries currently going through periods of peace and prosperity may end up in strife again, but that doesn't disprove my point in anyway. At worst, I can still say that following Allahs rules does not prevent countries from being as violent or poor or oppressive places as countries that do not follow his rules. There's no evidence to say that most of Allahs rules work (or at least work better than alternatives aiming for the same outcome).
    Everything does come from Allah (swt), including our free will and the ability to make choices. The fact that He has given us the free will, means He is not "doing" - we are responsible for our actions. As I said earlier, He can still give us the free will to determine our own fate ourselves, and at the same time know what our eventual fate would be. That's His Divinity.

But he doesn't just give us free will, he defines it. We all have distinct free-wills (hence we make different choices in similar situations), so that means that Allah specifically gives individuals their specific free-will. But he does this while knowing what that specific free-will will actually lead us to do. We are like little computer programs perfectly defined by a programmer (actions, reactions and all), who then puts us in a computer environment that he has perfectly defined too (actions, reactions and all). It may seem to us that everything we do is based on random interaction followed by our own chosen reaction, but to the programmer, it is just us doing what we were made to do, in an environment made so that we would do it.

Your concepts of Allah all describe his motivations and personality, but if humans can never understand the reasoning Allah uses while being all merciful, wisest of judges etc. then how we can we recognise if he is all merciful, wisest of judges etc?

We'll know for sure come the day of judgement, until then it's a matter of belief.
    How can you believe in something specific if you can't describe it from the evidence in front of you? Doesn't the evidence have to describe something specific for you to specifically believe in it?

"Something specific" is one all-knowing, all-powerful, eternally living, creator of the universe. If we read the evidence and believe it comes directly from that being, even if it doesn't tell us everything about that being, it's plenty sufficient to be able to develop a belief in Him.
    Sure, all countries do go through periods of unrest, and the countries currently going through periods of peace and prosperity may end up in strife again, but that doesn't disprove my point in anyway. At worst, I can still say that following Allahs rules does not prevent countries from being as violent or poor or oppressive places as countries that do not follow his rules.

Just because a country is Muslim-predominant, it doesn't automatically mean that it follows Allah's (swt) rules, or that all it's leaders/populous always follow Allah's (swt) rules. You have to look deeper at all the possible factors and inspirations behind people's actions before you can determine that.
    There's no evidence to say that most of Allahs rules work (or at least work better than alternatives aiming for the same outcome).

That very much depends on what you want to define as the outcome. If the most important outcome is the outcome on the day of judgement, which is what Muslims believe, then that's an outcome we can't test until that day. If you want to focus on specifically worldly outcomes, the problem we'll have is, for each of the many many rules of Islam, defining what the desired outcome should be and agreeing on it. E.g. there are many positives and negatives of alcohol - do we look it purely from an economic point of view, where if the taxes raised from it outweigh the medical costs associated with it, then it's a good thing, or do we factor in other things as well - like the effect it can have on both forming and destroying relationships, aiding people in having a good time, causing deaths (car/other accidents) etc. You could look at interest - it has advantages of helping people/institutions make money, and allows people to take out loans to buy things which they might not be able to afford for a long time, or help businesses grow quickly, but the flip side of it is that it can lead to a lot of personal and national debt, to the point where millions of people in debt-ridden third world countries die every year because of it - is that one outcome alone not one of the most important ones?
    But he doesn't just give us free will, he defines it. We all have distinct free-wills (hence we make different choices in similar situations), so that means that Allah specifically gives individuals their specific free-will. But he does this while knowing what that specific free-will will actually lead us to do. We are like little computer programs perfectly defined by a programmer (actions, reactions and all), who then puts us in a computer environment that he has perfectly defined too (actions, reactions and all). It may seem to us that everything we do is based on random interaction followed by our own chosen reaction, but to the programmer, it is just us doing what we were made to do, in an environment made so that we would do it.

There's a subtle different between Allah (swt) pre-programming us to make all the decisions He wants us to, and Him knowing all the decisions we will make, and that's the difference between us having free will to choose and make decisions, and not having it. I know you see both "making us do" and "knowing" as the same thing, but I don't. As I said, He can still give us the free will to determine our own fate ourselves, and at the same time know what our eventual fate would be.

We'll know for sure come the day of judgement, until then it's a matter of belief.

But how will you even know then?
    "Something specific" is one all-knowing, all-powerful, eternally living, creator of the universe. If we read the evidence and believe it comes directly from that being, even if it doesn't tell us everything about that being, it's plenty sufficient to be able to develop a belief in Him.

Given that most, if not all, religions describe an all-knowing, all-powerful, eternally living, creator of the universe, that's not that specific. You need more specific details about that being in order to justifiably believe that he would want you to follow the rules prescribe by Islam over the rules prescribed by any other religion.
    Just because a country is Muslim-predominant, it doesn't automatically mean that it follows Allah's (swt) rules, or that all it's leaders/populous always follow Allah's (swt) rules. You have to look deeper at all the possible factors and inspirations behind people's actions before you can determine that.

Then how do you justify your early claim that (paraphrasing post 24) "Muslims make claims about the rationale behind some of Allahs actions/rules do so by observing their effect on us and drawing conclusions from that (by virtue of a controlled-type study, where one can observe the effect on some people do follow the rules vs on those that don't)".
    That very much depends on what you want to define as the outcome. If the most important outcome is the outcome on the day of judgement, which is what Muslims believe, then that's an outcome we can't test until that day. If you want to focus on specifically worldly outcomes, the problem we'll have is, for each of the many many rules of Islam, defining what the desired outcome should be and agreeing on it.

I am talking about outcome in the most basic sense: humans make rules to (try) to assure the most harmony in society, each rule is supposed to, overall, add to that harmony and I think that is testable and I have given some metrics already. Now, if you want to say that for muslims the outcome is untestable, then you would need to retract your earlier claim (post 24) that muslims do measure the outcome of the rules in this world (via controlled studies).
    There's a subtle different between Allah (swt) pre-programming us to make all the decisions He wants us to, and Him knowing all the decisions we will make, and that's the difference between us having free will to choose and make decisions, and not having it. I know you see both "making us do" and "knowing" as the same thing, but I don't. As I said, He can still give us the free will to determine our own fate ourselves, and at the same time know what our eventual fate would be.

There is no difference between pre-programming us and knowing all the decisions we will make, because Allah doesn't just know our free will, he defines our free will, it is not someone else doing the pre-programming, he does. And yes, this does mean that free will does not exist if Allah exists, that is my point.

But how will you even know then?

By witnessing it all first hand.
    Given that most, if not all, religions describe an all-knowing, all-powerful, eternally living, creator of the universe, that's not that specific. You need more specific details about that being in order to justifiably believe that he would want you to follow the rules prescribe by Islam over the rules prescribed by any other religion.

The specific thing about Allah (swt) is that He is one (and not part of a trinity), and He sent Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) as His last messenger.
    Then how do you justify your early claim that (paraphrasing post 24) "Muslims make claims about the rationale behind some of Allahs actions/rules do so by observing their effect on us and drawing conclusions from that (by virtue of a controlled-type study, where one can observe the effect on some people do follow the rules vs on those that don't)"... and I think that (harmony) is testable and I have given some metrics already. Now, if you want to say that for muslims the outcome is untestable, then you would need to retract your earlier claim (post 24) that muslims do measure the outcome of the rules in this world (via controlled studies).

The difference is that it's somewhat easier to compare individual rules (e.g. effect of drinking alcohol, or the effect of interest), as opposed to comparing entire countries, esp. when there are obvious confounders at play (i.e. you can't assume all actions of Muslims in a country are because of Allah's (swt) rules, as well as the others I mentioned earlier - poverty, education, war, corruption, revolutions, regional instability etc.). To the second bit, the most important outcome (what happens on the day of judgement) is untestable, but I didn't say that worldly outcomes are irrelevant, even if they are relatively less important, so it's still fine to compare them.
    I am talking about outcome in the most basic sense: humans make rules to (try) to assure the most harmony in society, each rule is supposed to, overall, add to that harmony

You're being very generous to mankind there. We tend to look after our own interests first before we try to assure harmony in society. Politicians (rule-makers) make decisions to preserve their own popularity rather than to necessarily do what assures harmony - which is why unpopular decisions that would result in long-term good for a country, but which won't yield any results in the short-term (and perhaps result in the politician not being re-elected), unfortunately often don't get made. Moving further a field, a lot of global economics is controlled by a select few elite people, who make the rules, and who care not much for harmony of society, but only themselves getting richer and richer. More here. That brings me back to the outcome of millions of people every year dying because of interest alone being paid on loans to third world countries. Once again, is that one outcome alone not one of the most important ones?
    There is no difference between pre-programming us and knowing all the decisions we will make, because Allah doesn't just know our free will, he defines our free will, it is not someone else doing the pre-programming, he does. And yes, this does mean that free will does not exist if Allah exists, that is my point.

So you're saying Allah (swt) is incapable of giving mankind free will if He is all-knowing? All-powerful means only He can do exactly that. Our humanly logic and limitations don't apply to Him.

• Advertisement

By witnessing it all first hand.

Which implies that we would be capable of recognising it when we saw it. If we would be capable of recognising that Allah is wisest, most merciful etc. come judgement day, then why can't we recognise it now? And if we can't recognise it now, then why should we believe that he is?
    The specific thing about Allah (swt) is that He is one (and not part of a trinity), and He sent Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) as His last messenger.

There are other religions with one god and one main messenger, so that's not that specific. And even if that was unique data about Allah, how does that lead to justifiably believing that he wants us to follow the rules prescribed by Islam? It doesn't infer anything about his motivations or personality at all.
    The difference is that it's somewhat easier to compare individual rules (e.g. effect of drinking alcohol, or the effect of interest), as opposed to comparing entire countries, esp. when there are obvious confounders at play (i.e. you can't assume all actions of Muslims in a country are because of Allah's (swt) rules, as well as the others I mentioned earlier - poverty, education, war, corruption, revolutions, regional instability etc.). To the second bit, the most important outcome (what happens on the day of judgement) is untestable, but I didn't say that worldly outcomes are irrelevant, even if they are relatively less important, so it's still fine to compare them.

It's no use selectively comparing small metrics (e.g. effects of alcohol or interest) when the big metrics (peacefulness, prosperity, equality) show that muslim countries still fall far below non-muslim countries. And yes, muslim countries may have issues with poverty, education, war, corruption, revolutions, regional instability etc., but all that shows is that Allah's rules don't prevent these issues. So what use are they?
    You're being very generous to mankind there. We tend to look after our own interests first before we try to assure harmony in society. Politicians (rule-makers) make decisions to preserve their own popularity rather than to necessarily do what assures harmony - which is why unpopular decisions that would result in long-term good for a country, but which won't yield any results in the short-term (and perhaps result in the politician not being re-elected), unfortunately often don't get made. Moving further a field, a lot of global economics is controlled by a select few elite people, who make the rules, and who care not much for harmony of society, but only themselves getting richer and richer. More here. That brings me back to the outcome of millions of people every year dying because of interest alone being paid on loans to third world countries. Once again, is that one outcome alone not one of the most important ones?

Do you think that if there was no interest that the loans wouldn't just be structured in another way (e.g. high fees or almost unavoidable penalties) to make money? The issue is not interest, as such, its greed. And the overall issue you describe (concerning politicians and short-term vs long-term decisions) is just the difference between personal harmony and social harmony. Laws are (ideally) made to ensure social harmony, but the people in power can fail and when they do it's usually in favour of their own personal well-being (i.e. harmony).
    So you're saying Allah (swt) is incapable of giving mankind free will if He is all-knowing? All-powerful means only He can do exactly that. Our humanly logic and limitations don't apply to Him.

How do you know? How could you tell? If humanly logic doesn't apply to him then why do you believe anything he says or tells you to do? You don't understand the logic underpinning any of it. Does any logic apply to him?

Which implies that we would be capable of recognising it when we saw it. If we would be capable of recognising that Allah is wisest, most merciful etc. come judgement day, then why can't we recognise it now? And if we can't recognise it now, then why should we believe that he is?

We can't recognise it now because the day of judgement hasn't happened yet, and we haven't been judged yet. To the second question - once again, you read all the evidence available to you, and decide whether it makes sense as a whole. If it does, and you believe Islam to be the truth, then you will believe everything it says, which will include descriptions of Allah (swt).
    There are other religions with one god and one main messenger, so that's not that specific. And even if that was unique data about Allah, how does that lead to justifiably believing that he wants us to follow the rules prescribed by Islam? It doesn't infer anything about his motivations or personality at all.

Specific to Allah (swt) is His messenger, prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), and the specific message sent through him, The Quran. So, as above, we can examine that, and decide if we believe it to be the truth.
    It's no use selectively comparing small metrics (e.g. effects of alcohol or interest) when the big metrics (peacefulness, prosperity, equality) show that muslim countries still fall far below non-muslim countries. And yes, muslim countries may have issues with poverty, education, war, corruption, revolutions, regional instability etc., but all that shows is that Allah's rules don't prevent these issues. So what use are they?

As I said, you can't assume all actions of Muslims in a Muslim-predominant country are because of Allah's (swt) rules, and if there are many obvious confounders - then it's not a reliable comparison of Allah's (swt) rules when you look at your big metrics. The small metrics are easier to look at individually, and there's every use in comparing as many of them as we can (which is generally how people study and make up their minds about religions) - and if one of the small metrics has a large part to play in millions of deaths every year, but you still want to consider it a "small" metric, then we're heading into the difficulties I mentioned earlier of agreeing on outcomes.
    Do you think that if there was no interest that the loans wouldn't just be structured in another way (e.g. high fees or almost unavoidable penalties) to make money? The issue is not interest, as such, its greed.

Yes, and interest is a tool used for greed. Get rid of that tool and it's harder for greedy people to get what they want. People will still try and find other methods, but the harder you make it for them, the less they will succeed in it.
    How do you know? How could you tell? If humanly logic doesn't apply to him then why do you believe anything he says or tells you to do? You don't understand the logic underpinning any of it. Does any logic apply to him?

I believe because I believe in Islam and The Quran. No less do I understand the logic underpinning it, than atheists understand the logic underpinning a spontaneous big bang. We can't figure out all the answers in this life - at some point it just comes down to opinion and belief, and you can't logically explain everything, as much of a science person that I am.

We can't recognise it now because the day of judgement hasn't happened yet, and we haven't been judged yet. To the second question - once again, you read all the evidence available to you, and decide whether it makes sense as a whole. If it does, and you believe Islam to be the truth, then you will believe everything it says, which will include descriptions of Allah (swt).

But how will we recognise it on the day of judgement? How can we use evidence to believe in something if we inherently cannot understand what that evidence is supposedly pointing to?
    Specific to Allah (swt) is His messenger, prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), and the specific message sent through him, The Quran. So, as above, we can examine that, and decide if we believe it to be the truth.

The Quran is (essentially) the list of rules Allah wants us to follow. Ok, it is specific to Islam, but nothing in it tells of what Allah is like and why he wants us to follow those rules specifically or even why the rules exist at all. Again, it seems that you are boiling believe down to whether or not you can follow the prescribed rules.
    As I said, you can't assume all actions of Muslims in a Muslim-predominant country are because of Allah's (swt) rules, and if there are many obvious confounders - then it's not a reliable comparison of Allah's (swt) rules when you look at your big metrics. The small metrics are easier to look at individually, and there's every use in comparing as many of them as we can (which is generally how people study and make up their minds about religions) - and if one of the small metrics has a large part to play in millions of deaths every year, but you still want to consider it a "small" metric, then we're heading into the difficulties I mentioned earlier of agreeing on outcomes.

You can't keep blaming Islamic countries problem on non-islamic sources. Islamic countries are the only countries that even try to live according to Allahs rules, and if Allahs rules cannot defend a state against outside influences, then what use are they? And while alcohol may have a part to play in the deaths of millions every year, poverty and war have far, far greater parts to play in far younger deaths.
    Yes, and interest is a tool used for greed. Get rid of that tool and it's harder for greedy people to get what they want. People will still try and find other methods, but the harder you make it for them, the less they will succeed in it.

It's not that much harder. Do you think that muslim banks have significantly less profit than western banks?
    I believe because I believe in Islam and The Quran. No less do I understand the logic underpinning it, than atheists understand the logic underpinning a spontaneous big bang. We can't figure out all the answers in this life - at some point it just comes down to opinion and belief, and you can't logically explain everything, as much of a science person that I am.

There is a big difference between believing in the big bang and believing in Islam: believe in the big bang does not come with any prescribed or inferred rules about how to live our lives, believe in Islam does. I may not be able to follow the logic underlining the justifications for the big bang, but the logic is only used to justify that event, and nothing else. The logic underlying Allah and Islam is supposed to justify everything prescribed by Islam. There is a lot more invested in the logic of Islam than the logic of the big bang, so an absence of understandable logic is a far, far greater issue for the former rather than the latter.

But how will we recognise it on the day of judgement? How can we use evidence to believe in something if we inherently cannot understand what that evidence is supposedly pointing to?

On the day of judgement, we'll witness how fair a judge Allah (swt) is and how merciful He is, by seeing how people are judged for how they lived their lives. That's how we will recognise it. It's a matter of belief until then. The evidence points to the fact that we're here to serve Allah (swt) and that we go to heaven/hell depending on how well we do - that's quite easy to understand. Some things we don't understand, but the core basics of Islam are easy to grasp.
    The Quran is (essentially) the list of rules Allah wants us to follow. Ok, it is specific to Islam, but nothing in it tells of what Allah is like and why he wants us to follow those rules specifically or even why the rules exist at all. Again, it seems that you are boiling believe down to whether or not you can follow the prescribed rules.

I posted a link earlier which gave a long list of the Quranic descriptions of Allah (swt) (the creator of the universe, He is one, merciful, all-knowing, all-powerful, the best and the wisest of judges, eternally living etc.), and that's what we know about Him - it's not everything about Him or His actions, but there's plenty enough there to believe in. I'm boiling belief down to what makes more sense, given a situation where we can't logically explain our existence either way.
    You can't keep blaming Islamic countries problem on non-islamic sources. Islamic countries are the only countries that even try to live according to Allahs rules, and if Allahs rules cannot defend a state against outside influences, then what use are they?

Without getting into a big political/historical discussion, I very much can blame problems of Muslim-predominant countries on non-Islamic sources. Also, if modern-day Muslims in these countries (and especially their often western-supported leaders) aren't following Allah's (swt) rules as they should, then it's not the rules that are the problem.
    It's not that much harder. Do you think that muslim banks have significantly less profit than western banks?

It still is harder to exploit people once you follow Islamic banking principles, and that's the point. It's fine to make money through mechanisms that don't result in people and countries being exploited. I don't think it's a particularly good time to compare profits of Muslim and western banks, given the colossal losses western banks have made in recent times (which have further resulted in taxpayers being exploited).
    There is a big difference between believing in the big bang and believing in Islam: believe in the big bang does not come with any prescribed or inferred rules about how to live our lives, believe in Islam does. I may not be able to follow the logic underlining the justifications for the big bang, but the logic is only used to justify that event, and nothing else. The logic underlying Allah and Islam is supposed to justify everything prescribed by Islam. There is a lot more invested in the logic of Islam than the logic of the big bang, so an absence of understandable logic is a far, far greater issue for the former rather than the latter.

Absence of understandable logic for the former would only be an issue if there was any logic behind the alternative. To me, it makes more sense for a universe to have been created by a greater being, even if I don't know a lot about that greater being, rather than the big bang being a spontaneous event.

On the day of judgement, we'll witness how fair a judge Allah (swt) is and how merciful He is, by seeing how people are judged for how they lived their lives. That's how we will recognise it. It's a matter of belief until then. The evidence points to the fact that we're here to serve Allah (swt) and that we go to heaven/hell depending on how well we do - that's quite easy to understand. Some things we don't understand, but the core basics of Islam are easy to grasp.

But how will you be able to recognise that his judgements are most fair and just? If we could tell that sort of thing, then we could do it ourselves and we wouldn't need Allah to do it for us. And how can we trust now that his judgements will be most fair and just, if we are unable to recognise fair and just actions until judgement day? We have no way of measuring any of our so called evidence until that day, so it's useless as evidence beforehand.
    I posted a link earlier which gave a long list of the Quranic descriptions of Allah (swt) (the creator of the universe, He is one, merciful, all-knowing, all-powerful, the best and the wisest of judges, eternally living etc.), and that's what we know about Him - it's not everything about Him or His actions, but there's plenty enough there to believe in. I'm boiling belief down to what makes more sense, given a situation where we can't logically explain our existence either way.

But we are unable to recognise any of these until judgement day, so they are useless claims until that day. We are going in circles. If someone claims to be the best in the world at chess, would it makes sense to believe them without ever seeing them play chess?
    Also, we can logically explain our existence without Allah, it's just not a comforting logic.
    Without getting into a big political/historical discussion, I very much can blame problems of Muslim-predominant countries on non-Islamic sources. Also, if modern-day Muslims in these countries (and especially their often western-supported leaders) aren't following Allah's (swt) rules as they should, then it's not the rules that are the problem.

There hasn't always been a west to influence muslim countries. If such countries couldn't survive the development of western countries then their rules are not effective.
    It still is harder to exploit people once you follow Islamic banking principles, and that's the point. It's fine to make money through mechanisms that don't result in people and countries being exploited. I don't think it's a particularly good time to compare profits of Muslim and western banks, given the colossal losses western banks have made in recent times (which have further resulted in taxpayers being exploited).

You think muslim banks haven't made huge losses in recent times too? The IMF would disagree. Even besides that, arguing that muslim banks are as, or more than, profitable as western banks just shows that muslim banks still makes as much money off their customers, even if they don't call it interest, so the argument is moot.
    Absence of understandable logic for the former would only be an issue if there was any logic behind the alternative. To me, it makes more sense for a universe to have been created by a greater being, even if I don't know a lot about that greater being, rather than the big bang being a spontaneous event.

It cannot make more sense to you to believe in Allah if you cannot explain why it makes more sense. And that requires that you be able to explain why it makes sense that A) a higher being at all did it (which wouldn't necessarily need much definition of the higher being) and B) that that higher being was Allah (which requires very specific definitions of the higher being, so as to distinguish him from any alternative higher being).
    And, as I said already, there is plenty of logic behind the Big Bang, it's just not comforting logic.

But how will you be able to recognise that his judgements are most fair and just? If we could tell that sort of thing, then we could do it ourselves and we wouldn't need Allah to do it for us. And how can we trust now that his judgements will be most fair and just, if we are unable to recognise fair and just actions until judgement day? We have no way of measuring any of our so called evidence until that day, so it's useless as evidence beforehand.

If Allah (swt) can bring us all back from the dead to account for our actions and the day of judgement actually happens, then I think we'll take Him at His word that everything else He has told us through His messengers is true. If we still have reservations on the day, we can voice our objections directly. As I keep saying, it's a matter of belief until the day actually happens - you have to look at Islam as a whole and decide if you feel it is the truth.
    But we are unable to recognise any of these until judgement day, so they are useless claims until that day. We are going in circles. If someone claims to be the best in the world at chess, would it makes sense to believe them without ever seeing them play chess?

Depends on your perspective. If you believe that the universe was created by a greater being (and don't think that the alternative explanation is logical), then you'll recognise that Allah (swt) has already created (assuming one believes Islam to be most representative of the greater being). Following on from that, you'll recognise He has given us free will to choose between right and wrong, etc. So it comes back to belief, and I guess we'll continue going in circles - because there's no way to conclusively prove it either way, it will always come back to individual beliefs.
    There hasn't always been a west to influence muslim countries. If such countries couldn't survive the development of western countries then their rules are not effective.

And Muslim countries haven't always lagged behind. Many scientific and mathematical advancements have come from Muslim civilisations down the centuries, with Muslims living harmoniously alongside Jews and Christians. Once again, if later Muslims in these countries didn't follow Allah's (swt) rules as they should have done, then it's not the rules that are the problem.
    You think muslim banks haven't made huge losses in recent times too? The IMF would disagree. Even besides that, arguing that muslim banks are as, or more than, profitable as western banks just shows that muslim banks still makes as much money off their customers, even if they don't call it interest, so the argument is moot.

My argument isn't that Muslim banks shouldn't be allowed to make money with/from their customers (or that they're immune to losing money) - my argument is that interest is responsible for the deaths of millions of people annually, and the harder it is for people to create structures that result in such exploitation, the less lives that would be lost.
    It cannot make more sense to you to believe in Allah if you cannot explain why it makes more sense. And that requires that you be able to explain why it makes sense that A) a higher being at all did it (which wouldn't necessarily need much definition of the higher being) and B) that that higher being was Allah (which requires very specific definitions of the higher being, so as to distinguish him from any alternative higher being).
    And, as I said already, there is plenty of logic behind the Big Bang, it's just not comforting logic.

There is little logic behind why a spontaneous big bang would occur without a trigger, and the universe being "self-born". The universe is just mass-energy flying around, confined by time, following mostly predictable laws (the ones we have figured out - dark matter/energy remain a mystery), and is mostly dead in that sense. We don't know if there is other life out there - but as far as we're aware, we're the only bits of living matter. The universe isn't a living being - it just follows the set laws of physics. It makes more sense to me that this time-confined mass-energy space that definitely had a beginning, was created by something greater than it - a being that is not confined by time and who has always been there, who is living, and capable of such creation. That's my "why it makes more sense" regarding point A. Point B you have to look at separately once you believe there is a greater being, and is a matter of comparing all the religions that claim to describe the greater being to see which one makes the most sense and sounds like the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭H3aler

Dear Mark Hamil

These rules are necessary to make you human-- Are we not less human--- Islam has a complete code of life-- It has way to eat food-- you can't eat food with left hand-- the hand with which you clean your p!le-- It has way about all kind of things in your daily life--- for example how to treat your mother and father when they grow-- today westren throw their parent to old age houses when they get old-- I know an old lady who didnt get care from her children-- her son threw her to old age house-- Because he thought, her mother is burden on her girl friend--- what a shame--- Mother and Father, the most pious relation in the world-- How you people are dealing with these with all of your collective wisdom and fansy cheap science-- The science that has no codes or moral--- The kind mother, tears were breaking the sky when i saw her-- I clean her tears and said to the old lady, dear mother make me your son-- dear mother replied--come my son-- I have passed my life--- I hate this system and society--- The other day i met a weeping wife-- I said to her--- What happend dear sister--- She said, she got her husband cheating on her--- He doesn't love her any more-- She said, this society is filled with women who are enemy of other women--- I said to her, dear sister don't cry-- This is fruit of you society and people like Mark Hamil who believe in Big Bangs--- with same bangs your hearts will be broken-- Islam has a way to save family from ruins--- -- Today divorse is very common in westren societes--- Divorse arises when people don't know and respect each other---when relatiosn are based on desires --similary it has a way how to live a balance life with your family and friend
    -- Are you now understanding?--- Allah is not your enemy
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

H3aler wrote: »
    Dear Mark Hamil

These rules are necessary to make you human-- Are we not less human--- Islam has a complete code of life-- It has way to eat food-- you can't eat food with left hand-- the hand with which you clean your p!le-- It has way about all kind of things in your daily life--- for example how to treat your mother and father when they grow-- today westren throw their parent to old age houses when they get old-- I know an old ready who didnt get care from her children-- her son threw her to old age house-- Because he thought, her mother is burden on her girl friend--- what a shame--- Mother and Father, the most pious relation in the world-- How you people are dealing with these with all of your collective wisdom and fansy cheap science-- The science that has no codes or moral--- The kind mother, tears were breaking the sky when i saw her-- I clean her tears and said to the old lady, dear mother make me your son-- dear mother replied--come my son-- I have passed my life--- I hate this system and society--- The other day i met a weeping wife-- I said to her--- What happend dear sister--- She said, she got her husband cheating on her--- He doesn't love her any more-- She said, this society is filled with women who are enemy of other women--- I said to her, dear sister don't cry-- This is fruit of you society and people like Mark Hamil who believe in Big Bangs--- with same bangs your hearts will be broken-- Islam has a way to save family from ruins--- -- Today divorse is very common in westren societes--- Divorse arises when people don't know and respect each other---when relatiosn are based on desires --similary it has a way how to live a balance life with your family and friend
    -- Are you now understanding?--- Allah is not your enemy
    :)

Mod note: welcome to Boards.ie, Ireland's largest discussion forum. Please read the charter and familiarise yourself with the etiquette of the site before proceeding any further. And please do not use this site to have a go at Western lifestyles or customs.

If Allah (swt) can bring us all back from the dead to account for our actions and the day of judgement actually happens, then I think we'll take Him at His word that everything else He has told us through His messengers is true. If we still have reservations on the day, we can voice our objections directly. As I keep saying, it's a matter of belief until the day actually happens - you have to look at Islam as a whole and decide if you feel it is the truth.
    Point B you have to look at separately once you believe there is a greater being, and is a matter of comparing all the religions that claim to describe the greater being to see which one makes the most sense and sounds like the truth.

What do you base that belief on if you have no evidence? People can't believe in something simply because they feel it may be true, different people feel contradictory things are true all the time and individuals can even go from feeling strongly one way about an idea to feeling the opposite. Feeling it is true is useless, especially as an argument to someone who doesn't have that feeling.
    Depends on your perspective. If you believe that the universe was created by a greater being (and don't think that the alternative explanation is logical), then you'll recognise that Allah (swt) has already created (assuming one believes Islam to be most representative of the greater being). Following on from that, you'll recognise He has given us free will to choose between right and wrong, etc. So it comes back to belief, and I guess we'll continue going in circles - because there's no way to conclusively prove it either way, it will always come back to individual beliefs.

Even starting from the position that Allah exists, it does not automatically follow that free-will exists or that Allah has those qualities previously claimed (most merciful, wisest judge etc). That is only one possibility. Another possibility is that Allah exists, created the universe and all that, but did not create us with true free-will. It's also possible that Allah and free-will exists, but Allah is not the most merciful etc, he just assumes he is, or he is trying to be and this is practise, or he is simply lying to us and doesn't care. There is no evidence to accept any one of these possibilities (or any of the other possibilities I didn't bring up) over any other.
    And Muslim countries haven't always lagged behind. Many scientific and mathematical advancements have come from Muslim civilisations down the centuries, with Muslims living harmoniously alongside Jews and Christians. Once again, if later Muslims in these countries didn't follow Allah's (swt) rules as they should have done, then it's not the rules that are the problem.

At some point in time, early muslims in those countries stopped living according to Allah's rules because of either external or internal influences. Either way, those rules did nothing to stop the change.
    My argument isn't that Muslim banks shouldn't be allowed to make money with/from their customers (or that they're immune to losing money) - my argument is that interest is responsible for the deaths of millions of people annually, and the harder it is for people to create structures that result in such exploitation, the less lives that would be lost.

And my argument is that interest is simply the name used in the west for how banks make money here. Muslim banks make a similar amount money, from the same source (i.e. their customers), under a different name, so banning interest makes no difference.
    There is little logic behind why a spontaneous big bang would occur without a trigger, and the universe being "self-born". The universe is just mass-energy flying around, confined by time, following mostly predictable laws (the ones we have figured out - dark matter/energy remain a mystery), and is mostly dead in that sense. We don't know if there is other life out there - but as far as we're aware, we're the only bits of living matter. The universe isn't a living being - it just follows the set laws of physics. It makes more sense to me that this time-confined mass-energy space that definitely had a beginning, was created by something greater than it - a being that is not confined by time and who has always been there, who is living, and capable of such creation. That's my "why it makes more sense" regarding point A.

You have actually touched on a few of the big reasons why a higher being creating the universe makes no sense. Firstly, the big bang describes the beginning of space-time, so the "cause" of the big bang must not be constrained by space-time, therefore the big bang is not subject to causality, as we understand it (if at all). There is no reason why the universe couldn't have caused itself into being. Secondly, the universe isn't just mostly dead, it is so close to dead that you would give up writing the '9's in the 99.9999...% that is dead, probably out of starvation. Even just on this planet, all life is restricted to a layer about 60km thick (on a planet nearly 13,000km across). Compare that to the scale of our solar system, and then the scale of our universe. If the universe was set up to make life, then it is doing a spectacularly bad job of it.

What do you base that belief on if you have no evidence? People can't believe in something simply because they feel it may be true.

Your claim that "the big bang is not subject to causality and there is no reason why the universe couldn't have caused itself into being" is the belief you use to justify there being no creator. That belief is not based on evidence, because all physics tells us is what happened after the big bang, to which you'll say "because there was no before the big bang", and that once again would be a belief - we don't know what exists beyond the boundaries of our universe, or what external forces (e.g. from a different space-time, that could have existed before - going by its own time-clock) could have triggered our space-time into existence. The entire issue is a matter of belief, whichever side you're on. None of us have the evidence, but yet we must believe something, and so we take our pick based exactly on what we feel may be true.
    There is no evidence to accept any one of these possibilities (or any of the other possibilities I didn't bring up) over any other.

Which is why it comes back to belief. You look at Islam as a whole, decide if we feel it is the word of a greater being and whether it makes any sense, and then decide if we believe in it. Either that, or a different religion with other claims. Or we believe in a universe that caused itself into being. They're the only possibilities, and there's no evidence to accept any of them beyond what we think makes sense.
    At some point in time, early muslims in those countries stopped living according to Allah's rules because of either external or internal influences. Either way, those rules did nothing to stop the change.

Early Muslims had their free will - the rules don't stop that, they only guide on what should be done with it. Whether people follow them or not is the test for which we are here.
    And my argument is that interest is simply the name used in the west for how banks make money here. Muslim banks make a similar amount money, from the same source (i.e. their customers), under a different name, so banning interest makes no difference.

If interest was banned, then world banks wouldn't lend money to third world countries, because they wouldn't make a long-term profit from them and net extract more money out of them then what they're giving. These countries would be better off long-term and have more money to invest in basic healthcare and hygiene, thereby saving millions of lives. I think banning interest is one of the single greatest things we could do to reduce poverty in the world.
    Secondly, the universe isn't just mostly dead, it is so close to dead that you would give up writing the '9's in the 99.9999...% that is dead, probably out of starvation.

That sort of was my point. I feel it makes more sense for an eternally living being to exist and to have created a majority-dead universe, than for this majority-dead universe to have caused itself into being.

Your claim that "the big bang is not subject to causality and there is no reason why the universe couldn't have caused itself into being" is the belief you use to justify there being no creator. That belief is not based on evidence, because all physics tells us is what happened after the big bang, to which you'll say "because there was no before the big bang", and that once again would be a belief - we don't know what exists beyond the boundaries of our universe, or what external forces (e.g. from a different space-time, that could have existed before - going by its own time-clock) could have triggered our space-time into existence. The entire issue is a matter of belief, whichever side you're on. None of us have the evidence, but yet we must believe something, and so we take our pick based exactly on what we feel may be true.

I say there is no "before" the big bang because there is "before", time was created when the big bang happened, so notions of time (like "before") don't really apply. That doesn't mean there wasn't some kind of non space/time existence that the big bang arose from, but as that existence is not subject to space/time (space/time arose from it), it means that that existence is not subject to causality as we know it (i.e. inherently subject to space/time). That is a simple logical deduction based on only very few physics observations, that requires or inspires no inherent feelings or motivations. You can call it a belief, but it is not a belief on the same scale as a religion which infers the existence of a supreme being who chose to create the universe for some inexplicable reason.
    Which is why it comes back to belief. You look at Islam as a whole, decide if we feel it is the word of a greater being and whether it makes any sense, and then decide if we believe in it. Either that, or a different religion with other claims. Or we believe in a universe that caused itself into being. They're the only possibilities, and there's no evidence to accept any of them beyond what we think makes sense.

But which is the default position, or null hypothesis? Because if you want to claim that all positions on the creation of the universe are based on equally unprovable belief, then the only honest action is to stick to the null hypothesis, until convinced otherwise. At best you can say that we should reject all of them and have no opinion on the creation of the universe, however realistically you should accept the one with the fewest assumptions (which is the naturalistic one).
    Early Muslims had their free will - the rules don't stop that, they only guide on what should be done with it. Whether people follow them or not is the test for which we are here.

Why would they stop living according to those rules if those rules where doing so much good for them? Those early muslims were being raised according to rules that their societies were being run on. Their lives were impregnated with them and their positive effects immediately obvious. What could have driven people away?
    If interest was banned, then world banks wouldn't lend money to third world countries, because they wouldn't make a long-term profit from them and net extract more money out of them then what they're giving. These countries would be better off long-term and have more money to invest in basic healthcare and hygiene, thereby saving millions of lives. I think banning interest is one of the single greatest things we could do to reduce poverty in the world.

If interest was banned then those banks would have made the same money under a different name (some sort of fees, or fixed penalties or something like that). Muslim banks make as much as western banks despite not calling it interest. The issue is taking more money than someone has, not what you call that process.
    That sort of was my point. I feel it makes more sense for an eternally living being to exist and to have created a majority-dead universe, than for this majority-dead universe to have caused itself into being.

How does that make more sense? Did you look at my links, see the sheer scale of the universe that is dead? Why would an eternally living being, who is also omnipotent, create such vast swathes of nothingness and lifelessness, if life was his aim?

• Advertisement

it means that that existence is not subject to causality as we know it (i.e. inherently subject to space/time). That is a simple logical deduction based on only very few physics observations.

As I said, just because the universe is not (allegedly, and conveniently) subject to causality as we know it, it doesn't mean that causality cannot apply to it from a perspective outside of our space-time. That's a simple logical deduction as well.
    But which is the default position, or null hypothesis? Because if you want to claim that all positions on the creation of the universe are based on equally unprovable belief, then the only honest action is to stick to the null hypothesis, until convinced otherwise.

The null hypothesis is all good and well for things we have a good handle on. When we're discussing "there can't be a before" and "we don't know why He created", then the null hypothesis isn't going to add much. Furthermore, defining "fewest assumptions" is once again going to be a very biased affair, and even then, just because a belief has fewer assumptions, it doesn't follow that it is the truth.
    Why would they stop living according to those rules if those rules where doing so much good for them?

Following the rules won't result in immediate gains/benefit in this life - the most important rewards are in the afterlife. So, people would stop living according to the rules because they chose short-term worldly rewards instead of the longer-term afterlife ones.
    If interest was banned then those banks would have made the same money under a different name (some sort of fees, or fixed penalties or something like that). Muslim banks make as much as western banks despite not calling it interest. The issue is taking more money than someone has, not what you call that process.

If guns are banned, then people would still find other ways of killing other people, but that doesn't mean that it's pointless to look to ban them in the first place. It will still have a big effect on reducing killings, and in the same way, banning interest will save thousands, if not millions of lives, even if big lenders to third world countries look to find other methods. Interest is a huge part of the process of taking more money than someone has, and if you're going to tackle that process, you need to tackle interest.
    How does that make more sense? Did you look at my links, see the sheer scale of the universe that is dead? Why would an eternally living being, who is also omnipotent, create such vast swathes of nothingness and lifelessness, if life was his aim?

There's no point in me speculating on yet another "why?" question, when we've already firmly established that we don't have the answer to all such why's.

As I said, just because the universe is not (allegedly, and conveniently) subject to causality as we know it, it doesn't mean that causality cannot apply to it from a perspective outside of our space-time. That's a simple logical deduction as well.

Unless you can describe that perspective outside of our space-time then you cannot claim anything about the causality it may observe.
    The null hypothesis is all good and well for things we have a good handle on. When we're discussing "there can't be a before" and "we don't know why He created", then the null hypothesis isn't going to add much. Furthermore, defining "fewest assumptions" is once again going to be a very biased affair, and even then, just because a belief has fewer assumptions, it doesn't follow that it is the truth.

The null hypothesis is not about adding anything to an argument, it's about where you start your position before you argue. The null hypothesis in this argument, if you want to assert an equal lack of evidence for all raised solutions, is simply "we don't know".
    Following the rules won't result in immediate gains/benefit in this life - the most important rewards are in the afterlife. So, people would stop living according to the rules because they chose short-term worldly rewards instead of the longer-term afterlife ones.

Did these people not even live according to the rules for all of Muhammods life? Did they immediately abandon them after his death even though, presumably, his life had been visibly better because of the rules?
    If guns are banned, then people would still find other ways of killing other people, but that doesn't mean that it's pointless to look to ban them in the first place. It will still have a big effect on reducing killings, and in the same way, banning interest will save thousands, if not millions of lives, even if big lenders to third world countries look to find other methods. Interest is a huge part of the process of taking more money than someone has, and if you're going to tackle that process, you need to tackle interest.

Banning interest is not akin to banning guns, it's more aking to banning guns that use rotary drums to hold their ammo.
    There's no point in me speculating on yet another "why?" question, when we've already firmly established that we don't have the answer to all such why's.

You don't have the answer to any such why's though. Speculation aside, can you not even explain your own position: how does it make more sense for an eternally living being to exist and to have created a majority-dead universe, than for this majority-dead universe to have caused itself into being?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Dear confusedquark and Mark Hamill,

I completely forgot about this thread until recently. Reading your discussion has definitely given me a lot to think about.

@ confusedquark. I fully agree with you when you say that its up to each individual to decide what religion, if any, makes sense to him/ her. But if a certain religion genuinely does not make sense to me and as a consequence I decide not to follow its teachings, then how can I be punished if it turns out that that religion is indeed the truth? This is one aspect of Islam, and of the three Abrahamic religions, that I do not understand.

Also, can you shed some more light on: Quran 16:93 "If Allah so willed, He could make you all one people. But He leaves straying whom He pleases, and He guides whom He pleases: but ye shall certainly be called to account for all your actions."

And just out of interest, what is it that you study?

Unless you can describe that perspective outside of our space-time then you cannot claim anything about the causality it may observe.

You can't describe exactly what triggered the big bang, and yet you claim that causality cannot (as opposed to might not) apply to it. In the same vain, I can speculate and hold an opinion/belief without being confined to describing any specifics.
    The null hypothesis is not about adding anything to an argument, it's about where you start your position before you argue. The null hypothesis in this argument, if you want to assert an equal lack of evidence for all raised solutions, is simply "we don't know".

Which is fine, but most of us will still pick a side nonetheless.
    Did these people not even live according to the rules for all of Muhammods life? Did they immediately abandon them after his death even though, presumably, his life had been visibly better because of the rules?

Everybody's different - some people probably followed the rules better than others, and some might have abandoned them completely, as is the case to this day.
    Banning interest is not akin to banning guns, it's more akin to banning guns that use rotary drums to hold their ammo.

The simple point is, interest is bad because it is a tool used extract more money from poor countries and contributes to the deaths of millions every year. Just because there might still be other alternatives through which creditors can look to extract money (which would still probably be unislamic, but it's not specifically interest that's cited, it's usury in general), it doesn't make interest ok.
    You don't have the answer to any such why's though. Speculation aside, can you not even explain your own position: how does it make more sense for an eternally living being to exist and to have created a majority-dead universe, than for this majority-dead universe to have caused itself into being?

I don't have the answer to such why's - but the ironic thing is, your own belief conveniently doesn't even need a why "because the universe is not subject to causality". My own position is very clear - we know that a dead universe was created at the big bang. I think it makes more sense for a living being to have created a majority-dead universe, than for a dead universe to have created itself (whatever His underlying reasons may be). Your issue with that seems to be "what's the point in creating a majority-dead universe". I'll speculate for your sake - maybe Allah (swt) chose to create only us as the living entities in the entire universe, and created the rest of it for us to marvel at.

@ confusedquark. I fully agree with you when you say that its up to each individual to decide what religion, if any, makes sense to him/ her. But if a certain religion genuinely does not make sense to me and as a consequence I decide not to follow its teachings, then how can I be punished if it turns out that that religion is indeed the truth? This is one aspect of Islam, and of the three Abrahamic religions, that I do not understand.

From an Islamic perspective, Allah (swt) obviously knows our every thought and intention. He knows how genuinely we will try to understand a given religion. So, if somebody is earnest in their research but reaches a conclusion that ultimately isn't the truth, all of that will still be be taken into account on the day of judgement, and Allah (swt) is the best and the wisest of judges. Personally, I therefore don't think it's straight-forward that every non-Muslim will be punished (and it's not going to be plain-sailing for every Muslim either).
    Also, can you shed some more light on: Quran 16:93 "If Allah so willed, He could make you all one people. But He leaves straying whom He pleases, and He guides whom He pleases: but ye shall certainly be called to account for all your actions."

I've looked into that verse a bit deeper - my original take on it was that Allah (swt) could have created everyone with the same religion, but chooses to guide some people and leave others astray - but within "being astray", people will still be judged according to their circumstances, and so therefore are still accountable. Reading further on the verse in Tafheem ul Quran (which is a detailed verse-by-verse commentary on the Quran), mentions the following:

"Allah could have created all mankind to be inherent believers and obedient servants by depriving them of the power and option of disbelief and sin. Then there would have been none who could have dared to deviate from belief and obedience.
    This is to show that Allah Himself has given man the power and freedom to follow any out of the many ways. That is why Allah makes arrangements for the guidance of the one who intends to follow the right way, and lets go astray the one who desires to deviate."

So that last sentence points more so to us having free will to choose, rather than Allah (swt) nudging us in any particular direction.
    And just out of interest, what is it that you study?

I'm a doctor, and am doing a part-time diploma in dermatology outside of work this year, with the final exam coming up on 5th April. So you probably won't see too much of me until after then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Am I the only one who thinks that a being powerful enough to create an entire universe and everything in it (it is quite big after all), would be very unlikely to be that needy?

Am I the only one who thinks that a being powerful enough to create an entire universe and everything in it (it is quite big after all), would be very unlikely to be that needy?

You can't describe exactly what triggered the big bang, and yet you claim that causality cannot (as opposed to might not) apply to it. In the same vain, I can speculate and hold an opinion/belief without being confined to describing any specifics.

Actually all I claimed is that you can't claim that causality (as we experience it) applies in a system where one of the fundamental aspects of causality does not exist. That's not speculation, causality as we know it is dependant on time. So our two positions are not equivalent.
    Which is fine, but most of us will still pick a side nonetheless.

Sure, but if you base your choice on what you want to be true then that is not a compelling argument for anyone else to agree with your choice and choose it for themselves.
    Everybody's different - some people probably followed the rules better than others, and some might have abandoned them completely, as is the case to this day.

Your claim way back in post 24, that muslims can test Allahs rules and observe their effects. So if muslims, en masse, from the time of Mohammed right up to now choose not to or fail to adhere to Allahs rules, then they must do so because they do not observe any beneficial effects. So what use are these rules if even muslims in the most perfect muslim society abandoned them?
    The simple point is, interest is bad because it is a tool used extract more money from poor countries and contributes to the deaths of millions every year. Just because there might still be other alternatives through which creditors can look to extract money (which would still probably be unislamic, but it's not specifically interest that's cited, it's usury in general), it doesn't make interest ok.

I didn't say that interest was ok, I said it was only a label. Changing the label doesn't stop something bad from being bad. Muslim banks do not have interest, but they are on par with western banks in terms of profitability, so they still get the same money from the same source.
    I don't have the answer to such why's - but the ironic thing is, your own belief conveniently doesn't even need a why "because the universe is not subject to causality". My own position is very clear - we know that a dead universe was created at the big bang. I think it makes more sense for a living being to have created a majority-dead universe, than for a dead universe to have created itself (whatever His underlying reasons may be). Your issue with that seems to be "what's the point in creating a majority-dead universe". I'll speculate for your sake - maybe Allah (swt) chose to create only us as the living entities in the entire universe, and created the rest of it for us to marvel at.

There is nothing in my position that precludes a 'why', although a 'how' is probably more appropriate ('why' has subtle implication of intent, whereas 'how' is impartial - consider "why does it rain" vs "how does it").
    Your position is clear, I'll give you that, but that doesn't make it strong in any way. For one thing, it puts a value on "life" that may not inherently be there, over anything else in existence (to put it simply: what makes life so special?). For another thing, why should we marvel at the universe? Think about it, to all powerful being creating the universe is no different to us exhaling, in fact it's less than that, it's simply an act of will. Allah could have made this universe twice as big or three times as small with no change in effort, so for whose benefit are we marvelling for? Our own? It benefits us in some way to marvel at an arbitrarily defined universe created by a being who put no effort into creating it (as effort implies that something is capable of resisting that being's omnipowers)?

Actually all I claimed is that you can't claim that causality (as we experience it) applies in a system where one of the fundamental aspects of causality does not exist. That's not speculation, causality as we know it is dependant on time. So our two positions are not equivalent.

You claimed earlier that all I had regarding the creation of the universe was a tautology. The exact same goes for your theory. "Time began with the big bang, and so there was no "before" it. Because there is no "before" it, no cause can apply to why/how the big bang happened." You say your position does not preclude a why/how, but I don't see how that's possible if you maintain causality does not apply.
    Sure, but if you base your choice on what you want to be true then that is not a compelling argument for anyone else to agree with your choice and choose it for themselves.

I base my choice on what I feel to be true - want implies other motives. I'm not compelling anyone to agree with my choice - I'm happy to discuss my point of view, but each to their own.
    Your claim way back in post 24, that muslims can test Allahs rules and observe their effects. So if muslims, en masse, from the time of Mohammed right up to now choose not to or fail to adhere to Allahs rules, then they must do so because they do not observe any beneficial effects. So what use are these rules if even muslims in the most perfect muslim society abandoned them?

You keeping questioning the "use of the rules". Their "use" is not to make every Muslim follow them no matter what - our individual free will to choose to follow or not follow them is still preserved. They are merely a guide, with the main benefits of following them coming in the afterlife, and only some in this life. Following the rules may actually result in one enduring more hardship in this life (e.g. doing without food/water when fasting, having to give money to charity, being restricted in the ways through which one can make money etc.). Once again, it's not so simple to say Muslims, en masse, chose not to adhere, there's a huge spectrum of adherence - some will adhere to nothing, some to some things, some to most things, some to everything. The fact that some Muslims in the perfect Muslim society didn't adhere to some rules only confirms that we all have our free will to choose which paths we want to follow - the immediate benefits/rewards of this life, or making sacrifices in this life for the benefit of the next. The adherence (or lack thereof) of Muslims to the rules, therefore, does not affect my claim of observing the effects individual rules have in trying to understand Islam as a whole.
    I didn't say that interest was ok, I said it was only a label. Changing the label doesn't stop something bad from being bad. Muslim banks do not have interest, but they are on par with western banks in terms of profitability, so they still get the same money from the same source.

Not every bit of money a bank makes is through exploitation. I do not know how Muslim banks conduct their business - if all of their methods are even Islamic (they may just be Muslim by name), but if we agree that interest is not ok (using the context of exploiting third world countries), and Islam categorically forbids it (and other such methods of usury), then that should be that.
    Why should we marvel at the universe?

I knew any speculation on my part would only yield another "why". Creating a universe of any description is no biggie for Allah (swt), and it is to be expected if He is all-powerful, but for us, we get to witness His power - if the universe, being as colossal as it is, was created just because Allah (swt) willed it, then His powers are indeed something to marvel at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Free of all needs, except the constant craving for adoration, obedience and worship - so not really free at all. Free of all wants and needs? Sounds more like Mariah Carey with super powers to be quite honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement