Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new project I have been working on

• 03-02-2014 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, my name is Sam. It’s a pleasure to meet you all.

I am stopping by these forums to let you know about a project I have been working on, called Pixeom. I think many of you would find it interesting, and I would be very interested to hear your feedback on it.

Yes, it’s a Kickstarter, and yes it would mean the world to me if you pledged to it, but that is not the primary reason I am here. Since this is the Cloud and Distribution section of this forum, I wanted to reach out to the community here and talk to you more about your thoughts on my project.

The link is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixeom/pixeom-the-personal-exchange-device

I want to build a company around this personal cloud device that provides more utility than just accessing your files, with an emphasis on privacy. The device also grows as one large storage pool instead of storage islands that you need to manage. It is currently powered by a Raspberry Pi and OpenStack.

What I was hoping to hear more about from you guys is not only if a product like this would appeal to you, but also more about how you currently manage your personal data. Do you guys prefer paying for a Dropbox subscription? Or are you ok with managing multiple external hard drives?

Thanks guys, I look forward to your responses!

Sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Had a quick read through and a few immediate questions -
    How does this deal with multiple terabyte storage or is really only intended for small(ish) data?
    It looks like you add usb hdds but then you need one device per 2 hdds

More importantly - I see no mention of backup.
    If local storage gets corrupted or just gets knocked off the desk, is that the end of your personal cloud?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pixeom

First of all I apologize for the delayed reply.

In addition to two USB ports on the personal edition, we do support the use of USB hubs. If you are intending to add a lot of HDDs we do recommend you to get the highspeed edition which comes with 3 ports to start.

Good question, I love answering this one! We allow you to backup to another device/hard drive, but we also provide real time protection through mirroring with a second device. With backup you have an archive of your data at a certain point in time, but with our protection, if a device fails you have zero interruption or any loss of data. The way it works is simple, whenever you are writing the data, it simply makes two writes at a time to each location, so both locations have the most up-to-date files and information at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

soooo it's a RPi in a case?
    35ad709f1e5d61a5ac0883f548dbb070_large.jpg?1388427889

Advertisement