Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf Trip?

Options
  • 03-02-2014 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I hope some of you can help me with this one.

I've just got a new job which will give me 2 weeks off every 12 weeks. I'm planning on actually using the time off now to get more into surfing. I'm quite at a beginner stage, I've been a number of times but not recently. I can get the basics easily enough and I'm quite fit and have a good balance so I guess that's my advantage at this stage.

Anyway, the company will give me a certain amount of money to fly anywhere or else they'll fly me home. Has anyone done any surf trips they could recommend around the world around the June period? I'd obviously want to start at the basics again but be able to progress through the week or two weeks of it as I'd get better/more comfortable.

There isn't much surfing where I am right now but there is some Kite Surfing, is there much of a crossover with the two as I'd like to begin that while I'm here too as there's wind but no waves.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I would head for Lagos in Portugal for a surf camp for one of the weeks and then chill out there with a few surf trips other week. Weather will be nice, still a bit of swell and about an hour west of Faro airport. Good little spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

I would head for Lagos in Portugal for a surf camp for one of the weeks and then chill out there with a few surf trips other week. Weather will be nice, still a bit of swell and about an hour west of Faro airport. Good little spot

I came across Lagos actually during my search. I actually was there years ago and did a surf trip, great spot. Any camps you would recommend?

Dago's Surf Experience would be my recommendation. More about surfing nice spots with a good crew than piss up nights in the town.

http://thesurfexperience.eu/

I went on a few days trips with them a few years ago and can recommend them - not to be confused with the other surf experience crowd in the same town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I went to Ericeira in Portugal last year. Lovely little town with great seafood at a decent price. Sometimes the waves were too rough for beginners and the lesson prices are not cheap (reasonable for a week or two). I'd love to go back. My OH also approved for general beach/beauty/food reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

When you say anywhere do you mean within Europe or actually anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Anywhere really, I'm in the Middle East so quite central in a way. They'll give me a good bit of money for flights too and I can add a bit if needed.
    rodento wrote: »
    When you say anywhere do you mean within Europe or actually anywhere

If you are in the middle east, why not head for Hawaii and spend some time out the south shore of Oahu, it will come together very quickly there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I've heard good things about Costa Rica.

Personally I have visited Surf School Lanzarote and found them great. Very professional in comparison to some places. It's quite hardcore training and I will be a lot fitter before I go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

If you'[re in the Middle East, you've got Sri Lanka quite close by.

Quality spot

Hope you don't mind me asking, what's your budget ???

I know people who learnt to surf on boat trips in the Maldives, great option if money's not a problem

Check out www.tropicsuf.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Hey zoobizoo,

sorry to hijack the thread but I'm going to be in Sri Lanka for a month in August.

Anywhere you'd recommend? Intermediate level surfer. Only just started looking into it but I heard the east coast that time of year is the place to be.

Cheers

Hey zoobizoo,

sorry to hijack the thread but I'm going to be in Sri Lanka for a month in August.

Anywhere you'd recommend? Intermediate level surfer. Only just started looking into it but I heard the east coast that time of year is the place to be.

Cheers

Don't drop in on the locals....

http://instagram.com/p/j_LqiTHgkn/

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Yeah - the east coast is the place to go in our summer months.

Arugam Bay is the popular spot. It's a beach break.

It's a great country. I'd head there and surf for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

famara in Lanzarote is nice, supposes to get wind during summer tho and more suited to kite surfing, was there in nov 2012, for 10 days of 20deg glassy surfing, was paradise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sorry to hijack the thread, but might be best place as any. A casual surfer here. That is to say on/off. I work a lot on weekends so use that as an excuse.

Find myself going on holidays on my own and being bored out of my tree, so though a surf trip would be good to do this year, if not to get me motivated to get to the coast again.

I know I could just stay in Ireland to do it, but just getting out of dodge would be nice as well for a few days.

Is it best to organise a package, or book separately (flights, accomm, lessons etc).

Budget wouldn't be great as I'll be fresh out of college, and I'm late 30s too to make things worse! The idea of just cruising some more on a longboard would appeal greatly to me! :)

Look at my post on this thread, I would recommend the surf experience in Lagos, they will organise accommodation, boards, lessons / surf sessions and I think they do airport pick ups. Great spot, lots of waves options and a good vibe in the villa that they run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

That's a good deal. When I think of all the time I wasted not being in the water.

Always wondered about those offers and the level of service one would receive, can't see the company wasting money on driving around to the most suitable breaks.

Would stay with the lagos crowd myself or go to morocco

Advertisement