Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for decent USB powered vacuum for PC.

Options
  • 03-02-2014 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Has anyone come across a decent USB powered vacuum for cleaning inside and outside computers?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Simple answer is no, there is a power limit on what can be taken from a USB port, and that limit means that any vacuum type device running from the port is going to be severely limited in the power of the motor.

I've got one here, but it's no good for working inside computers, there just is not enough suction to move dust that's got damp, and slightly sticky as a result. You will be better to look for an adapter kit that fits on the end of a normal vacuum, the brush and nozzles are smaller, which makes then easier to get in and around the components of the machine to get the dust out.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

You shouldn't vacuum a pc, too much static. Get a can of compressed air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

Has anyone come across a decent USB powered vacuum for cleaning inside and outside computers?

Thanks.

How are you going to power it over usb ?
    And you going to have the power on in the computer, to power the vacuum to clean the inside ? That sounds dodgy.

I've vacuumed the odd computer in my time, but I imagine in this situation you probably want a small handheld vacuum that's typically aimed at car cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Worztron

How are you going to power it over usb ?
    And you going to have the power on in the computer, to power the vacuum to clean the inside ? That sounds dodgy.

I've vacuumed the odd computer in my time, but I imagine in this situation you probably want a small handheld vacuum that's typically aimed at car cleaning.

I could use a laptop to power the vac and clean my Desktop PC.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As Irish Steve said, it won't work

USB sockets on a PC provide 5V at a max 100mA, giving you the grand total of 0.5W for your vacuum cleaner. A normal household vacuum cleaner is about 2kW, so 4,000 times as powerful :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Worztron

...You will be better to look for an adapter kit that fits on the end of a normal vacuum, the brush and nozzles are smaller, which makes then easier to get in and around the components of the machine to get the dust out.

These look handy: http://amazon.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-VACUUM-CLEANER-MICRO-TOOL/dp/B006MVR2X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391418741&sr=8-1&keywords=Vacuum+Attachment+Kit

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

Like White Heart Loon, it's not a good idea to vacuum the inside of a PC, you can get a good can of compressed air reasonably cheap and it won't do any damage.

I got one cheaper than this in a shop but this is just an example. Damaging your PC will be a lot more costly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Duster-Compressed-Flammable-400ml/dp/B000MQ7DZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391503911&sr=8-1&keywords=compressed+air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

If your pc is manky on the inside, its fine to hoover the inside as long as you're carefull. Done it loads of times

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ButtUcks

If your pc is manky on the inside, its fine to hoover the inside as long as you're carefull. Done it loads of times

I Work in a busy I.T. department and would love to know the make/model of vaccum you used in the past??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ButtUcks wrote: »
    I Work in a busy I.T. department and would love to know the make/model of vaccum you used in the past??

I've used our Miele one. It's fairly bog standard. I know people say not to vacuum the inside of a PC, but I've also never had any issues. Like the other person I am careful when doing it, so fans + hard drives + heatsinks = OK, RAM not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I find compressed air doesn't really do the job properly on its own. A liquid can be sprayed out of the can if held wrong (or with the beginning of each release of air) and the pressure isn't powerful enough to remove heavy dust on fan blades ect. If the computer is filthy I would loosen the dust with cotton buds. Do the fan blades, the blade casings and the CPU cooler, and then use the compressed air holding the can as level as possible to avoid liquid spray. Once you have loosened the clumps of dust it is easy to hoover them up without to much effort. I find this approach works best overall.

Advertisement