Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a good gift for a new mum?

Options
  • 03-02-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Mates wife has recently come home from the hospital over the weekend, and thinking of popping over with a gift this weekend. Would there be anything that the mothers here found that they'd really appreciate a week after coming home from the hospital?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Visiters who don't stay too long and refuse all offers of a cup of tea or coffee.

Actual gifts I would go the voucher route. Mothercare or similar, we got way too many clothes and toys both times. Vouchers were great for getting stuff we actually needed when kiddies were older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Come with food (seriously, something like a homemade lasagne that can be frozen) and your marigolds - while you're there, fill the dishwasher, Hoover, mop, or just take the baby for half an hour so she can shower/rest :) Failing that, a voucher is good, or if you buy a gift, include the receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

A couple of nice ready meals from M&S etc, that was one really thoughtful gift I received! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

The food/lasagne sounds like a great idea but I would probably have felt a bit weird about my husbands friend tackling my house work. Might be just me though :) How about a boxset of something you think they might enjoy? I know with us we didn't get out and about that much in the first couple of weeks(a combination of weather and exhaustion!) so we watched a good bit of tv.

I'd feel similar Roesy, I'd absolutely hate for someone to go at my housework. Our place is a mess at the moment (baby is only three weeks old), but I really don't mind, so long as the places the baby is in contact with are clean and hygienic, I'm happy! But I'd be quite upset if someone tried to insist on doing the housework for us. It's all stuff that can wait. :)

As I said though, ready-meals are so handy - if you know what sort of food they eat. We also got loads of biscuits and chocolates, and while I don't eat them myself, it's handy to have them to offer to other guests. I also got given bottles of Calpol by mothers who've been here before - haven't needed them yet, but I've been assured I'll be grateful not to have to go out hunting for a 24 hour chemist some night!!

If buying clothes, please don't buy Newborn size! My little guy was a relatively low birth weight, but already he's grown out most of his Newborn clothes ... and we're still getting presents in that size! :o Gift vouchers are ideal, or else include gift receipts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

If buying clothes, please don't buy Newborn size! My little guy was a relatively low birth weight, but already he's grown out most of his Newborn clothes ... and we're still getting presents in that size! :o Gift vouchers are ideal, or else include gift receipts.

It's funny I didn't receive one piece of clothing in newborn size, all the gift were 3-6 months and I was told not to worry about getting newborn sizes myself due to getting them as gifts!

My favorite gift I received was a beautiful bunch of flowers and a lovely silver photo frame. Sounds simple but noone really gives flowers anymore and the frame will last forever.

Depends on how well you know them with regard to how long you stay but make sure to leave sooner than you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Something for pampering maybe, or food. I really wouldn't be into getting something for the child. Maybe this is just me, but I found in the first few months of my son's life, that I was completely forgotten about as a person. Every present was for him, people would call and ask about the baby and not how I was. Some small token that shows you're thinking of the new mum would be appreciated.

Flowers or anything for the house are lovely. You'll never have more visitors, so it's great to be able to make the place look nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Plus one on the food!
    If you are buying clothes make sure you get them for the correct season and include the receipt.
    Vouchers are a good idea too.

On our first we were given a meal voucher for restaurant we love, it was nice that mammy and daddy got a little present too.!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nikpmup wrote: »
    Come with food (seriously, something like a homemade lasagne that can be frozen)
    Cool. Will check with my mate what they both eat. Probably make some shepards pie, or something involving mince and pasta.
    Roesy wrote: »
    How about a boxset of something you think they might enjoy?
    Have a list which I got off them before they went into the hospital of stuff, so that's kind of covered.

=-=

Thanks for your help. Shall be getting the baby clothes at a later stage, for when they hit a year or two; pointless for now, as they'll only get worn for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I agree with food,anything that can be frozen.
    Nice non alcoholic drinks are really good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, food. Something that isn't a biscuit or a tin of sweets. Fruit basket maybe? Feels vaguely healthy.

I also appreciated alcoholic drinks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I loved getting good chocolate - butlers etc to be hidden and eaten by myself at 3am.....hubby never knew :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

bp wrote: »
    I loved getting good chocolate - butlers etc to be hidden and eaten by myself at 3am.....hubby never knew :-)

I would have loved a nice box of chocolate. Everything I got was so sensible and useful. ..but I would have loved something non baby related that was just for me. Is that really awful :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Flowers and chocolates were my favourite present. I liked getting baby clothes, but it was nice receiving something for me to enjoy. One of my friends did show up with a book, which was a nice thought but it was months before I could even read a newspaper article in full without my concentration disappearing half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I normally wait a few weeks to send flower in case the couple get loads when the baby is born. More often than not if it is a friend I get a present for the mum. Voucher for facial that she can use when she wants, Nice hand cream or a clothes voucher she can use when she feels she would like something new a few months after the baby is born.

If I don't know the mum well. I get a voucher for first shoes for the baby. I always check that the shop has a open ended date for the voucher and this has always gone down really well, or a blanket or first soft toy with the babies name on it. Have done up a couple of baskets with cot sheets, nappies, wipes, calpol, towel, toy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

For a week after I came out of hospital I appreciated cooked dinners. It was so fantastic to know we didn't have to worry about cooking. Even better send dessert around too :)

Godiva chocolates. These are the yummiest, most sinful chocolates ever. I'm not sure if you can but them in Ireland but perhaps on line. If there's one time in your adult life that you can gorge on chocolate and not give a fig about calories it's just after child birth.

After that perhaps a nice Shea butter body cream for a few weeks down the line when she has the time and energy to moisturise again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

A treadmill

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I would of loved to get to drink a hot cup of tea! It's the simple things!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

My best present was flowers. I got so much 3-6 months clothes that I had to bring loads back. The flowers were so nice..like someone actually thought of me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Oh and my hubby got some craft beers....he was trilled to be remembered :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Vouchers for a healthy-ish take away was a great one I got. No interest in chocolates or flowers here. Flowers were more work to trim and refresh water... Chocolate... I'd had 9 months of stuffing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I got nappies and wipes off a few friends as gifts, and I thought that was a godsend!!

MoonDancer wrote: »
    I got nappies and wipes off a few friends as gifts, and I thought that was a godsend!!

Only if you know what brand they're using though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

That reminds me, years ago, when my friend had her first baby, myself and another friend made up a hamper with wipes, nappy bags, Milton tablets, muslin cloths, baby body wash, sudocreme, etc... All sorts of little essentials. She loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I loved getting food - pasta bake easy to reheat stuff. We're picky about the nappies and wipes were using as we want to use as Eco friendly as possible without using cloth. Even still we were gifted nappies and wipes and were delighted cos you horse through them at such a fast rate!

I'm very fussy about our wipes and nappies (Simple wipes, and Pampers nappies). We did receive a gift of a load of Johnsons wipes, and of course they'll be used, but at the same time they're not the ones we want to be using.

I hate using them on him because they don't feel half as nice on his skin, I don't want to hurt him. :o

Mammies do put a lot of time and thinking and research into what they're happy to use on the newborn. I wouldn't go buying anything for another mother unless I knew it was something she'd be happy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I never really buy for the baby. I usually make a hamper of meals and a bottle of wine, or a voucher for somewhere that does take away. Or an offer of babysitting for a few hours if the parents want to go out.

If it's a close friend, I'll send flowers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

The nappies and wipes I got were pampers sensitive for newborns, so can't go wrong with that I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got a voucher for a hairdressers brilliant present - post natal hair anyone?

I got some Sanctuary soapy stuff too which was lovely.

And a six-pack for the dad too.

Freezer meals are really useful.

Some of the useful stuff from chemists for babies - the kind of stuff you dont think of, but at 3am would come in very handy indeed. But you'd need to probably be a parent to know what you found useful or not.

Advertisement