Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a good gift for a new mum?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

A thermometer would actually be a great present to give. A couple of weeks before my due date, we decided to pick one up in Boots. We could have spent around €50 to get one that tells the temperature straight away - but instead we went for a normal digital thermometer for around €10.

It's a disaster really, sure you're only really going to bother taking their temperature if they're off-form and seem hot and bothered, and it's a nightmare trying to hold it in his armpit for the few minutes it takes to read the temperature! I've a feeling we're going to have to end up splashing out on the more expensive one.

Of course, you might want to check first if they have one already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

A thermometer would actually be a great present to give. A couple of weeks before my due date, we decided to pick one up in Boots. We could have spent around €50 to get one that tells the temperature straight away - but instead we went for a normal digital thermometer for around €10.

It's a disaster really, sure you're only really going to bother taking their temperature if they're off-form and seem hot and bothered, and it's a nightmare trying to hold it in his armpit for the few minutes it takes to read the temperature! I've a feeling we're going to have to end up splashing out on the more expensive one.

Of course, you might want to check first if they have one already!

We got one of the thermoscan ones as a present. Definitely a handy gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jeekers

I always give baby vests and a hooded towel. You can never go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jeekers

I always give baby vests and a hooded towel. You can never go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

What's a good gift for a new mum??? A voucher for a spa and the offer to babysit when she books it. Food is a good idea too, vouchers as opposed to actual clothes. Not visiting straightaway, new mums get so many visitors the first week or two and then there's a massive of lull. When our munchkin was born, i found that after my husband went back to work and people stopped calling that the occasional random visitor was a welcomed sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Although I loved all the presents we got and was blown away by the amount my absolute favourite gift from a friend was a voucher to get a framed imprint of baby's hand and foot. Soooo thoughtful and we will have it forever :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I remember when I was in hospital my mum brought in a lovely box of butlers chocolates - I ate them at midnight on the sly. The frozen meal idea is great. A friend of mine was given a voucher for a professional cleaner to come and clean for two days (ie two separate days) and she said it was a godsend. They came in and hoovered up, did some laundry and ironing and did stuff like cleaned the kitchen and bathroom.

Advertisement