Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C# or C++ for Windows development?

Options
  • 03-02-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Just as the title says. I want to develop a simple Windows based application for Windows and I am not sure should I use C# or C++

My background is not IT but I have programmed in Pascal ( Delphi) and Java.

I have looked at Qt Creator which is c++ based ( link https://qt-project.org/ )
    and I have also looked at c# in Visual Studio express.

I know little about C or its derivatives but C# does seem similar to Java and might be my easiest route. On the other hand QtCreator seems a simpler system to get started with.

My application will need to read a number of text or XML files and do some calculations on the content, primarily calculating elapsed time so I would likely use DateTime classs if either have it.

I could probably use Java but am not too familiar/happy with Swing.

Any advice or recommendations would be gratefully received. Thanks for reading so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

C# would be your best option.

You shouldn't have many problems moving from java to C#/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

WinForms in .Net would be similar to the Delphi form approach, so C# would be a good choice.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭rock22

I have Visual Studio Express c~ so I will get started with that.
    Thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Take a look at the tutorials here as a starting point. Not only do they walk you through learning C# they also walk you through learning windows form applications at the same time!

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/csharp/csharp.html

I've followed all the tutorials there and they're great, really easy to understand and complete.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
    I have just done a simple form application from tutorial and it seems to be working ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

C# would be the path of least resistance and Microsoft is trying to push people in that direction as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Talisman

jgh_ wrote: »
    C# would be the path of least resistance and Microsoft is trying to push people in that direction as much as possible.
    Trust Microsoft to try to push people down a slippery slope ... ;)

I have just gone through a sample program from Microsoft and compiled it in Visual Studio.
    I am quite please to see how similar to Java that C# actually is. No doubt a plenty of traps in the future assuming everything is identical but it is making my introduction easier.

Quote " Trust Microsoft to try to push people down a slippery slope ... "

I am hoping this was said in humour..?

Advertisement