Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Deferral/ Garda career break

• 03-02-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

I have like many others applied for the guards. I'm 23 at the moment and have lots of family and friends abroad. I would love to travel for a couple of years. If I join the Gardai I see this as an end to my travelling aspirations. Can anybody tell me is it difficult to get the job of a garda deferred or take leave of a couple of years when qualified?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

This is what makes me sick, people applying and clogging the system when they don't really want the job. So many of us are applying this time after having passed all stages before the recruitment ban, only to have to start all over again.

Others have been waiting for years to apply for the first time, reserves who have done the job for free for years are applying to go full time. If you are looking for a few years off before you even start for travelling you don't deserve to be involved in the recruitment process.

Go travel and apply again when you're home

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

I'm just being realistic about whats on offer. I am a genuine candidate but after spending the last 5 years in college and having very little money, I'm just not overly sure about entering a career where the pay is so bad. I told a friend of mine in Australia who I was in college with about the money and he laughed. One time Gardai were dealing with drug dealers who would make a joke of the money that a garda was making in comparison to them. Now a person on the dole will laugh at new recruits at the money they will be on. This is why I'm reluctant about joining even though its what I'v always wanted to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Don't go into a job if money is the main reason factor . Demotivation in any job wrecks your well being and health as well as the public u are meant to be serving .
    If u are planning to travel / see the would do it now when u can leaving it till later may never happen .

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Don't go into a job if money is the main reason factor . Demotivation in any job wrecks your well being and health as well as the public u are meant to be serving .
    If u are planning to travel / see the would do it now when u can leaving it till later may never happen .

Money isn't the main reason but if I was to be accepted into my chosen career I'd expect to be able to afford a car and a night out a week. This would not be possible however on the money that's being offered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Apply for the Australian police. You'll be issued a gun and get to drive some serious cars. You'll experience another culture and get a nice tan. When you get back you'll have that experience to show.

You'll still start on the same money though.....

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Apply for the Australian police. You'll be issued a gun and get to drive some serious cars. You'll experience another culture and get a nice tan. When you get back you'll have that experience to show.

You'll still start on the same money though.....

One has to be a resident as far as I know and being a police officer in another country would not appeal to me in the slightest..

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

To answer your original questions OP it can be possible to defer entry for a short period of time once you have been accepted (i.e. to complete college exams / next of kin are terminally ill and require your immediate care / personal injury). Obviously deferrals are only permitted in exceptional circumstances but yes it is possible. A deferral would not be possible for you to travel to Australia. You would only be expected to seek a deferral once.

You can also take a career break for a set period of time once you are out of your probation. Again, there are a number of factors which management consider before granting a career break but yes it is possible.

turniphead wrote: »
    To answer your original questions OP it can be possible to defer entry for a short period of time once you have been accepted (i.e. to complete college exams / next of kin are terminally ill and require your immediate care / personal injury). Obviously deferrals are only permitted in exceptional circumstances but yes it is possible. A deferral would not be possible for you to travel to Australia. You would only be expected to seek a deferral once.

You can also take a career break for a set period of time once you are out of your probation. Again, there are a number of factors which management consider before granting a career break but yes it is possible.

Cheers, how long is probation and is a career break only for exceptional circumstances also? I wonder how many Gardai took up the offer of the 3 year break..

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Probation is 2 years. Each career break application is taken on its own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Go travel, and let people who actually know what they want to do with their lives get in. Please. You will not be able to defer a place in Templemore this time around imo, due to the very large number of applicants. As for a career break after probation? Haha!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Try get in now now while the recruitment is open, incase it's not open again for years.
    Then do your 2 years and apply for a career break!

If you do get accepted I'd say don't try to defer. You may never get another chance.

Don't worry about everyone else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

This is what makes me sick, people applying and clogging the system when they don't really want the job. So many of us are applying this time after having passed all stages before the recruitment ban, only to have to start all over again.

Others have been waiting for years to apply for the first time, reserves who have done the job for free for years are applying to go full time. If you are looking for a few years off before you even start for travelling you don't deserve to be involved in the recruitment process.

That is a miserable attitude. It does not matter how long YOU have been waiting for, that has nothing to do with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Simona1986 wrote: »
    That is a miserable attitude. It does not matter how long YOU have been waiting for, that has nothing to do with the OP.

It's just very frustrating that there are so many people applying that don't care that much when there are so many of us that have put so much work in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'm convinced they have advertised crap wages just to put people off applying and to decrease the numbers a bit. I was thinking about it for the last few weeks and no way are they gonna be offering the 350 with no other support in place. Wages are bad but no that bad..

I really can't wait for the new recruits to recieve their first few pay packets and then we'll see lol

carzony wrote: »
    I'm convinced they have advertised crap wages just to put people off applying and to decrease the numbers a bit. I was thinking about it for the last few weeks and no way are they gonna be offering the 350 with no other support in place. Wages are bad but no that bad..

I really can't wait for the new recruits to recieve their first few pay packets and then we'll see lol

Most ppl that have applied have no idea at all about the money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

I was told that by a member who was in contact with gra that they will get the rent allowance back for new members when they join up, it's insane to think you could survive in Dublin without it AFTER the wages being slaughtered aswell.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

thekopend wrote: »
    I was told that by a member who was in contact with gra that they will get the rent allowance back for new members when they join up, it's insane to think you could survive in Dublin without it AFTER the wages being slaughtered aswell.

No chance the GRA can't do anything for its subscription paying members why would they do anything for new recruits. If their website is anything to go by they seem to slow on the uptake. Their AGM was last year and they still haven't updated their website with the conference material. There is a significant numbers of Garda members who have left the GRA citing that is a waste of time and money

Raider190 wrote: »
    Their AGM was last year

I'm pretty sure their AGM is every year. Otherwise it be their GM...

No chance the GRA can't do anything for its subscription paying members why would they do anything for new recruits. If their website is anything to go by they seem to slow on the uptake. Their AGM was last year and they still haven't updated their website with the conference material. There is a significant numbers of Garda members who have left the GRA citing that is a waste of time and money

How much do Gardai pay in a monthly package to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

the GRA said...... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bad job when people are slating the gra before they are members

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Well you have to admit that some of the donkeys in charge of it deserve to be slated

Results of Stage 1 tests are expected to issue to candidates by 12 February. Those placed highest
    will be invited to Stage 2 on-line tests which they must take between noon on 18th and noon on
    21st February. Thats from public jobs

thestar wrote: »
    Results of Stage 1 tests are expected to issue to candidates by 12 February. Those placed highest
    will be invited to Stage 2 on-line tests which they must take between noon on 18th and noon on
    21st February. Thats from public jobs

I think anyone who uses the forum look at each thread, a lot of people post the same post in each thread, there is no need. Just saying in general. Once it said in one thread that's all that's needed.

I think anyone who uses the forum look at each thread, a lot of people post the same post in each thread, there is no need. Just saying in general. Once it said in one thread that's all that's needed.

21st February.

Just incase anyone missed it sure

successfully negotiated countless reductions in salary and loss of dozens of allowances

organised the worst form of industrial action in the history of the state 'turning off the good will tap'

repeatedly slated volunteer garda members drawn from the community they serve

refuse to use email as an official form of correspondence

they havnt covered themselves in any glory as of late

:rolleyes:

Scouser wrote: »
    successfully negotiated countless reductions in salary and loss of dozens of allowances

organised the worst form of industrial action in the history of the state 'turning off the good will tap'

If you manage to get in, I bet they're one of the first subscriptions you will sign up for..

mfergus wrote: »
    If you manage to get in, I bet they're one of the first subscriptions you will sign up for..

ill give you 10000000-1 on that

id rather give my money to seanie fitz, bertie aherne and david drumm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

The GRA are not a trade union, they are a rep body. It's very hard to put up a good fight when both hands are tied behind your back by legislation. They're not interested in covering themselves in glory. Its a thankless job that members voluntary put themselves into.

Bloodwing wrote: »
    The GRA are not a trade union, they are a rep body. It's very hard to put up a good fight when both hands are tied behind your back by legislation. They're not interested in covering themselves in glory. Its a thankless job that members voluntary put themselves into.

The powers that be have been waiting a good while to finish off the GRA. The recession has been used to hit pay and conditions, recruting free labour through the reserves etc.

This is totally off topic but gonna ask anyway and see if anybody knows anything. Over the last couple of years I have had my name taken twice by Gardai for two silly incidents. In one case I just had to apologize to somebody and that was the end of it. The other time my name was taken and heard no more about it. Would those be submitted onto pulse can anybody tell me? If they are I presume my future plans of becoming a garda are over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

This is totally off topic but gonna ask anyway and see if anybody knows anything. Over the last couple of years I have had my name taken twice by Gardai for two silly incidents. In one case I just had to apologize to somebody and that was the end of it. The other time my name was taken and heard no more about it. Would those be submitted onto pulse can anybody tell me? If they are I presume my future plans of becoming a garda are over

I wouldn't worry. Everybody does stupid things. It's not like you where charged or cautioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

doubt it being honest,

wouldnt worry,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I wouldn't worry. Everybody does stupid things. It's not like you where charged or cautioned

just saw this,

agreed

• Advertisement

Cheers but I'd prefer to know if it's on pulse or not, definitely would not look good if I was to pass an interview and it was to come up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Jaysus, you're gonna be great at it. "Step out of the ve-hi-cle."

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The powers that be have been waiting a good while to finish off the GRA. The recession has been used to hit pay and conditions, recruting free labour through the reserves etc.

seriously

stop with the scutter

free labour? its volunteerism. drawn from the community. get it into your head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Cheers but I'd prefer to know if it's on pulse or not, definitely would not look good if I was to pass an interview and it was to come up!!

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Data%20Protection%20F20%20-%20Nov%2012.pdf

seriously

stop with the scutter

free labour? its volunteerism. drawn from the community. get it into your head

I have no objection to you believing that but many of us will hold different opinions. People doing work for nothing that people were previously paid to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Don't really agree with you there.

Haddington Rd was the first time ever GRA was allowed to enter negotiations. They are a representative association and therefore were not previously allowed to enter the room.

Reason why the GRA was allowed to enter the negotiations was because of the turning off of the goodwill tap. It seriously highlighted the huge gaps in the job that members had been papering over for years. Also the non issue of fcps in most cases cost the government millions of euro.

I have no objection to you believing that but many of us will hold different opinions. People doing work for nothing that people were previously paid to do.

you hold that view based on misinformation

and it suits your gripe with the job/government

you should be delighted that people volunteer their weekends for the cause of a safer community.you should be wishing for more citizens to back you up

lord knows the organisation and the ordinary mule in the street needs support in recent weeks

but no youd rather toe the line and piss on your own doorstep

you hold that view based on misinformation

and it suits your gripe with the job/government

you should be delighted that people volunteer their weekends for the cause of a safer community.you should be wishing for more citizens to back you up

lord knows the organisation and the ordinary mule in the street needs support in recent weeks

but no youd rather toe the line and piss on your own doorstep

How does cutting full times Gardai's wages, eliminating long standing allowances and bringing in free labour to undermine their efforts to make a few hours overtime support them.

How does cutting full times Gardai's wages, eliminating long standing allowances and bringing in free labour to undermine their efforts to make a few hours overtime support them.

blame the troika,banking sector, political elite - not your citizen volunteers

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Great to see such positivity here lads, fair play!!

mycro89 wrote: »
    Great to see such positivity here lads, fair play!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Theres such things as pub talk

this is patrol car talk

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Canyon86 wrote: »
    just saw this,

agreed

Depends on if you were summonsed and ended up in court . If a conviction for say public order was recorded on pulse then you are truly goosed

Depends on if you were summonsed and ended up in court . If a conviction for say public order was recorded on pulse then you are truly goosed

Rang a man today who told me I'm in the clear so a good day all round!!!

Advertisement