Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge - Dublin rush hour commute

Options
  • 03-02-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Looking to get from Newbridge to Grand Canal street in Dublin on a daily commute. Can anyone give recommendations to the fastest, cheapest option to do this? I normally drive but with Newlands Cross busted with roadworks and the canal jammed with traffic it is taking an age to drive to and from, its an exhausting daily commute. Today for instance took 2 hours 40 mins just getting into work, but I can blame that on the rain and new junction layout at Newlands Cross, but with this upgrade taking place its going to be like this for months. The drive usually takes about 1hr 30mins on average but I'm looking for other ideas and experiences of others.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

ando wrote: »
    Guys,

Looking to get from Newbridge to Grand Canal street in Dublin on a daily commute. Can anyone give recommendations to the fastest, cheapest option to do this? I normally drive but with Newlands Cross busted with roadworks and the canal jammed with traffic it is taking an age to drive to and from, its an exhausting daily commute. Today for instance took 2 hours 40 mins just getting into work, but I can blame that on the rain and new junction layout at Newlands Cross, but with this upgrade taking place its going to be like this for months. The drive usually takes about 1hr 30mins on average but I'm looking for other ideas and experiences of others.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Newbridge station to my work on Mount St takes me 1.5 hours

Train to Heuston - Bus/LUAS into town - walk out from cc

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Train from Newbridge to Heuston and then cycle to near Grand Canal Dock takes me one hour consistently.

Another option could be to take the Dublin Coach express from Kildare village to Westmoreland street. it takes an hour and only costs 5 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Motorbike - you should be able to do it in under 1h. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Train from Newbridge to Heuston and then cycle to near Grand Canal Dock takes me one hour consistently.

Another option could be to take the Dublin Coach express from Kildare village to Westmoreland street. it takes an hour and only costs 5 Euro.

Great idea on the Dublin Coach 5 quid to get to the city centre in an hour is a nice service to have!! However, it can be full at times (and they can't take you on!)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

I suppose that it all depends on what time you're going in at. For most of last year I used to drive from Kilcullen to Stephens Green in 45-50 mins, but it's gotten busy since the end of the summer and can now take up to an hour. That means leaving before 7am, but if a few minutes save a half hour in traffic then it's worth it.
    The 126 does this route also, but the train/bike option is the fastest route from Newbridge for busy peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I wouldn't recommend anyone to start a driving commute from Newbridge until the works at Newlands Cross are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Today it was just under 50 minutes, leaving at 6:50am. I avoid Newlands Cross by leaving the N7 at Kingswood and going in through Ballymount, Walkinstown, Cromwellsfort Road which brings you across the city instead of along the main corridors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the commute time now that Newlands Cross is almost finished ?

Advertisement