Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Computing Feedback

Options
  • 03-02-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've filled out my CAO but am struggling with the order in which to put my courses, so I've turned to Boardies to get some feedback on each course choice to help make my mind up. I have applied to other colleges so will post in their forums too.

I have applied for BSC in Computing (DT211) and BSC in Computer Science DT228, I'm just looking for some feedback on how different either courses are. I'm aware that the Computer Science degree will be way more in-depth than the straight computing degree. But how much so? I'm already familiar with HTML, CSS, I've started learning Python through Codecademy (I don't really find it a great learning tool but at least I'm somewhat familiar with the language)

Is there anyone on either course that could let me know how they're finding the courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

Hello

I'm in DT228. The differences between DT228 and DT211 are sort of hazy, with CS students looking down on the computing students, and computing students saying their course is basically identical to CS. I'd say the main difference between them is that computing is more handon, they assembled a PC while CS did not for example. CS would be more theoretical, essentially concentrating on programming, microprocessors and stuff like that.

You should start having a look at C, which is what you'll be doing in 1st year. Pythons a high-level language that you won't touch for a while, and if you do I've heard its only a smattering.

PM me if you have anything you'd like to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Graduated Computing, recommend Computer Science. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SJ_IRL

Spunge wrote: »
    Graduated Computing, recommend Computer Science. :(
    Want to expand on why?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

4th year 228 student here. 70%-80% they are the same course, not that different. Throughout the four years both courses will do most of the same modules with possibly even the same lectures at times. In first year 211 does a bit more hands on with computers and through 3rd year they start security which 228 doesn't start till fourth year. 228 focus more on teaching different programming languages such as Haskill and Jess during this time.

Also on Phyton, we are just using that for the first time now in one module so I wouldn't be to worried on learning it now, C would be a better starting point but really most people come into this module with no programming experience at all so your already ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Missy86

Thank you for the replies guys! Spunge I would also like to know the reasons for your comment.

I would prefer a course that has a good mix of hands on and theory, I don't mind programming but don't want to be stuck at it the whole time so I think I'll stick with 211 as my first choice. Also what is the Maths like? I'm doing level 5 maths at the minute and am getting through it quiet well, I've gotten over 80% in my exams - although it doesn't go very deep into the modules we've done Trig, Functions, Complex Number and are just starting calculus.

Whats the mature student ratio on the computing courses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 puglug

Hi Missy86,

I am currently studying in the DT211 course and am in 2nd year and our main language is Pythong this year and as said above C is the 1st year language! we are also learning html, css and sql!
    In first year it is alot more hands on i.e building a pc and we had a robotics module where we programmed a robot in C and in 2nd year we took a module surrounding microprocessors and was very electronics based but again revolving around the C language!

here you can compare the modules for each course: (DITs module catologue)
    1. http://www.dit.ie/catalogue/Programmes/Details/DT211
    2. http://www.dit.ie/catalogue/Programmes/Details/DT228

As you can see there are not much differences until later on and the internship part of each course differs slightly as the 211 is 2 years long and the 228 is only 3 or 6 months (not sure)

In regards to the mature student ratio i would say its 70:30 (30 being the mature students_

My year has had a high drop out rate due to failing repeats, personal reasons etc

If you work hard though and come in you should have no problem!!

(also this is my first post on boards so im not sure if the links came up but sure, anyway hope this helped! and if you want more info PM me)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

puglug wrote: »
    As you can see there are not much differences until later on and the internship part of each course differs slightly as the 211 is 2 years long and the 228 is only 3 or 6 months (not sure)

Just to clarify, the DT211 internship is 2 years but as far as I know its its only 3 days a week, the other 2 days your in college. The DT228 work experience is 7 months full time work.

Advertisement