Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange goings on with my MBP

• 03-02-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

I have a mid 2009 MBP running Mavericks.

On Saturday while browsing the web it froze solid. After 7 years of owning Macs it was the first time something like this had happened to me. I held down the power button until it knocked off. When I restarted it immediately booted into the Disk Utility, I verified and repaired permissions and restarted. On restart it immediately went to the grey screen, the Apple logo and the spinning gear. The spinning gear stopped and I was left with the grey logo screen, it would go no further.

I tried a boot into Safe Mode and reset the NVRAM/PRAM but to no avail. I then booted back into the Disk Utility and verified the disk. After it ran it said the HD was fine and there were no faults. I did a repair anyway and rebooted, but it was the same as above - grey screen with logo and no further.

Again, back into the Disk Utility and I restored from a backup. Thankfully this worked and the system was fully restored. However, since the restore it's been running quite slow and sluggish. I ran Sophos Anti-Virus and there was nothing detected.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Is my HD on the way out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Could be a good time for you to swap your HD out for an SSD. Will be a big improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Could be a good time for you to swap your HD out for an SSD. Will be a big improvement.

Thanks. Is this a difficult job? I changed the HD in my old Mac (the black one) and it was very straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Thanks. Is this a difficult job? I changed the HD in my old Mac (the black one) and it was very straight forward.

Yeah it's an easy procedure especially when you have done it before. You will never want to go back to a standard HD again.

I have the 2011 MacBook Pro with Samsung 840 SSD and I find my girlfriends 2013 iMac frustrating because of the disk speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Any sign of a rhythmical ticking sound from the HD ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

ronnie3585 wrote: »

It's very easy to do and if you are feeling adventurous and have stopped using the superdrive and optical media, then it's possible to swap it out also for a caddy to hold a secondary ssd. Did it in a 13" mid 2009 MPB, makes life so much better, I keep my parallels images on the secondary SSD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Piliger wrote: »
    Any sign of a rhythmical ticking sound from the HD ?

No, no ticking or clicking from the HD thankfully. It's been running fine the last two days, but I think I'll look into getting a SSD at this stage. Pity my laptop isn't SATA3 compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I've an OCZ Vertex 2 240GB if you are interested. The original one died so i got a replacement. It's still in the packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have no specific tech advice to offer ... but I would seriously advise that you diagnose the actual problem before shelling out on stuff.

Advertisement