Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing an account

Options
  • 03-02-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I have a BOI a/c I want to close, the balance is at zero, how to I go about it to avoid the debit card stamp duty this year?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Hi dottie_lottie,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Thank you for getting in contact with us and we are sorry to learn you wish to close your account.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]To do this you have 2 options available to you.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]a) Call into any Bank of Ireland branch. - You will need Photo Identification (Passport, Drivers Licence, Garda ID) and your account details. Please express your request to close your account and a staff member will be happy to assist you.

or

b) Written request by letter only (an email/fax will not be accepted). - You can post this to a branch or drop it into the branch mailbox. Please see
    here for your branch contact details.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Finally, if you are currently signed up for eStatements on 365Online, please ensure to switch back to paper statements before having the account closed. This will ensure you are able to receive your closing statement. Once an account has close it is automatically removed from online access.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]If we can help you with anything else in the future, please do not hesitate to get back in contact with us.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Elaine[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Thanks,

I'm not 100% decided yet, I've a few factors to consider.

as an aside, when I'm doing online transfers is there anyway I can have an individual reference for each transfer. At the moment everytime I make a transfer it comes up titled as rent, because that was the first transfer I set up, however this doesn't help me when it comes to tracking my finances (I'm in a house share and I would like to label all transfers into a joint account individually ie rent, esb, upc etc)

thanks

Hi lottie_dottie,

Thanks for coming back to us.

Due to changes with SEPA, it is now possible to change the reference on a domestic SEPA transfer providing it is not an 'own account' transfer. Changing the reference will mean that the recipient will see this information on their statement. It is currently not possible to change the description on the transfer without having to delete the payee and re add it with a new description.

To amend the reference on each transfer please follow these steps:
    • When you are logged into 365Online go to Money Transfer and then SEPA transfer.
    • Click the account you wish to pay from.
    • Then once you have selected the account you wish to pay to, you will see an option to amend the reference to appear on the recipient's bank statement.
    • You can also add up to 140 character of remittance information which will also appear on the recipient's statement.
    We hope this information helps you decide to remain with Bank of Ireland.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Hi lottie_dottie,

Thanks for coming back to us.

Due to changes with SEPA, it is now possible to change the reference on a domestic SEPA transfer providing it is not an 'own account' transfer. Changing the reference will mean that the recipient will see this information on their statement. It is currently not possible to change the description on the transfer without having to delete the payee and re add it with a new description.

To amend the reference on each transfer please follow these steps:
    • When you are logged into 365Online go to Money Transfer and then SEPA transfer.
    • Click the account you wish to pay from.
    • Then once you have selected the account you wish to pay to, you will see an option to amend the reference to appear on the recipient's bank statement.
    • You can also add up to 140 character of remittance information which will also appear on the recipient's statement.

[*]
    We hope this information helps you decide to remain with Bank of Ireland.

Thanks,
    Elaine
    [*]
    Is there any reason I can;t change it when it is an own a/c transfer? I would be transfering into a joint account that I am named on.

if thats not something that is possible, perhaps you could put it forward as a suggestion on my behalf, as its something I'm able to do with my AIB online banking, and it's really inconvenient that I can't with BOI

Hi dottie_lottie,

We have looked into 'own account payments' for you further.

Firstly, can we ask you to try the steps given in our previous post, to see if the Joint account you wish to transfer to is visible in the 'Pay to' drop down box. If it is then you can start making transfer's immediately and change the reference as you go.

If it is not, then you can re add the payee as a SEPA payee. Then going forward it will appear in the SEPA transfer option and you can change the reference on it going forward.

We hope this extra information is beneficial to you.

Thanks,
    Elaine 

• Advertisement
Advertisement