Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foods you love and hate at the same time

Options
  • 03-02-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

I was munching my cornflakes this morning when it dawned on me that they are made of corn. Stupid I know but I never thought about it. I absolutely hate corn, could not eat corn on the cob or sweetcorn if you paid me. It got me thinking of some other foods which I cant stand but eat variants of , for example, I cant stand tomato sauce. It is foul. But I can eat beans or pizza all day long.

Does anybody else have any weird contradictions in what they like / dont like ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

hate raw or grilled / fried tomatoes.
    Love tomato soup, tomato sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

whiskeyman wrote: »

Lol

I love grilled/fried tomatoes.
    Really don't like tomato soup or ketchup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Animord wrote: »
    Lol

I love grilled/fried tomatoes.
    Really don't like tomato soup or ketchup. :)

I love tomato sauce, I'm don't much like raw/grilled/fried tomatoes and I cant stand ketchup.

I hate liver, but love liver pate ( Its the texture that makes the difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love raw or roasted almonds.
    I hate marzipan or anything almond flavoured.

Also hate liver and like pate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Love fruit, like apples, kiwi, orange etc

Really don't like fruit with pastry, like apple tart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

whiskeyman wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Love cherries, hate cherry-flavoured anything. Including jam and pies!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I love bananas, banana bread/muffins, etc but I absolutely hate banana flavoured yogurts/drinks or ice cream. yuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Raw tomatoes or tomatoes in a sauce = yes. Horrible wet, gritty grilled or baked tomatoes = no.

Ketchup, mayo, BBQ sauce, butter = yes. Too much (and there's a fine, fine line between a tasty amount and a disgusting amount for me) ketchup, mayo, BBQ sauce, butter or any of it somewhere I wasn't expecting it = no

Apples = yes. Apple sauce or an apple pie where the apple is baked into mush = no. I keep forgetting this and making apple sauce to go with porridge then having a blinding recollection of how much I don't like it when I ruin my breakfast.

Eggs = yes. Eggs cooked by anyone else but me = no. Eggs with any amount of liquid white = no.

Salmon = yes. Tinned salmon ("eat the bones! It's all part of the goodness!") = gag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You're all feckin' mad I tell ya! ;)

• Advertisement

Salmon = yes. Tinned salmon ("eat the bones! It's all part of the goodness!") = gag

MMMMMMM Salmon bones! Or any other tinned fish bones - I take them out and save them for last so I can have one lovely mouthful of crunchy, calcium-y nourishing fish bones! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

Iv never liked chicken keives. I have chicken regally and like garlic cloves, garlic bread, etc but just cant stand the two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

eoin91 wrote: »
    Iv never liked chicken keives. I have chicken regally and like garlic cloves, garlic bread, etc but just cant stand the two together.

I got there in the end: you mean you don't like Chicken Kievs and have chicken regularly! Whew ...

MMMMMMM Salmon bones! Or any other tinned fish bones - I take them out and save them for last so I can have one lovely mouthful of crunchy, calcium-y nourishing fish bones! :p

At least I know we'll never fall out over a tin of salmon :) If we ever have to split one you can have *all* the bones. And all of the salmon too, come to think of it.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I got there in the end: you mean you don't like Chicken Kievs and have chicken regularly! Whew ...

No picking on people's spelling, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I hate drinking milk but love milkshakes.

At least I know we'll never fall out over a tin of salmon :) If we ever have to split one you can have *all* the bones. And all of the salmon too, come to think of it.

I am not so wild about the fish bit. I could take it or leave it.

But if it ever comes to it that it is just you and me and a tin of salmon left in the world, I will remember your offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I hate marzipan or anything almond flavoured.
    Malari wrote: »
    Love cherries, hate cherry-flavoured anything. Including jam and pies!
    I absolutely hate banana flavoured yogurts/drinks
    These are probably just the synthetic flavourings that you hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I love anything apple-flavoured but I don't like apples.
    I like milk in my tea, over cereal or in porridge, but can't stand it on its' own.
    I like broccoli and I like cheese but I would never eat a broccoli and cheese soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

addicted to fizzy sugary sweets but hate sugar in my coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Love coffee, hate coffee cake\coffee sweets, anything coffee flavoured....or cold coffees, ya can keep your fancy frappo's!
    Also agree with the almonds v marzipan and the fresh cherry's v any cherry flavoured pie; cherry bakewells, blackforest, etc, not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I love fresh peas & regular frozen peas, but hate mushy & marrowfat peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Strituck wrote: »
    I was munching my cornflakes this morning when it dawned on me that they are made of corn. Stupid I know but I never thought about it. I absolutely hate corn, could not eat corn on the cob or sweetcorn if you paid me.

What about popcorn?

I love fresh peas & regular frozen peas, but hate mushy & marrowfat peas.

Me too, but I had mushy peas at Rick Stein's restaurant in Cornwall a few years ago and I must say they were pretty good. As far as I remember they had shredded mint in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Love baked beans. Hate all those beans in a chilli (for example). Kidney beans fill me with dread....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Me too, but I had mushy peas at Rick Stein's restaurant in Cornwall a few years ago and I must say they were pretty good. As far as I remember they had shredded mint in them.

Likewise, I had mushy peas in the East Avenue Café in Killarney two years ago & they were awsome. But, your bog standard mushy peas are the devil's snot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Hate fish. Despise the stuff.

Like Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce though

Likewise, I had mushy peas in the East Avenue Café in Killarney two years ago & they were awsome. But, your bog standard mushy peas are the devil's snot. :)

Hmmm, thanks for that mental picture. I am quietly confident that I will never be tempted to try the tinned ones again.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭sudzs

Gag on tomato juice. Add to it Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, a bit of celery salt and a slosh of vodka and I can't get enough of the stuff!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Red peppers. Can't be doing with raw red pepper. But a roast skinned red pepper served warm in a pepper salad with anchovy, garlic, capers, basil and good olive oil? That's a thing of beauty.

Advertisement