Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archery hunting

Options
  • 03-02-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just wondering is there is any changes on bow hunting in ireland ?? I know so far it was illegal and i keep destroying my targets in back yard for nearly 2 years now and would love to do some hunting if possible..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

ya,its illegal,if you really want to hunt you could try shooting,lamping with dogs,ferreting,maybe try a bit of fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭renas

Shooting what man ? Fish ? Lol.... Fishing i do yes and its just not what i like, and what about ferreting

lol,only offering a few suggestions,they are types of hunting,ferreting is a good craic

So ferreting you mean with traps i never hunted ferrets.. I hope they do change law for bow hunting we all understand it needs to be controlled at high standarts but i can pay my fees and all just to have that option

not traps,nets,check out youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bow fishing is pretty popular in America. Just saying but no need for hunting with bows in this country. Half the lads with guns can hardly make a proper clean kill imagine some lads with bows would e worse.
    As for ferreting you need nets and a locator for the ferret and of course a ferret. Don't forget your shovel aswell

mr lee wrote: »
    not traps,nets,check out youtube

What about rabbits hunting ?

Bow fishing is pretty popular in America. Just saying but no need for hunting with bows in this country. Half the lads with guns can hardly make a proper clean kill imagine some lads with bows would e worse.
    As for ferreting you need nets and a locator for the ferret and of course a ferret. Don't forget your shovel aswell

To shoot a fish at couple metters distance with bow guess not that hard im hitting targets 10cm in diametter at 180ft with my bear legend, but sure i know its ilegal in ireland was just wondering is 2014 give to us any positive changes...and i totally agree no need for bow fishing in ireland at all lets leave it for fishermans

renas wrote: »
    To shoot a fish at couple metters distance with bow guess not that hard im hitting targets 10cm in diametter at 180ft with my bear legend, but sure i know its ilegal in ireland was just wondering is 2014 give to us any positive changes

Wouldn't say it'll change.
    Animal rights would have a field day on it and they're bad enough when it comes to using guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

I don’t believe it would be a positive change. Bow kills are not clean enough and often end up in unnecessary suffering. On top of that even a few animals wandering the countryside with arrows hanging out of them would turn a lot of neutrals against hunting and possibly lead to lots of extra restrictions.

• Advertisement

renas wrote: »
    What about rabbits hunting ?

rabbits are what you go after with ferrets,you cover the burrows with nets,
    i dont bother with locaters or a shovel,i just go with the ferret and nets,its a cheap pastime then,
    i'd say you would get some looks in ireland standing on a riverbank shooting fish with a bow

Wouldn't say it'll change.
    Animal rights would have a field day on it and they're bad enough when it comes to using guns.

See i think (and probably most who likes bows) bow hunt is even more precise than most guns hunters use theses days 1. bow gives better chance to hunt animal hitting dead zones couse you need to be very close to the animal and this will add alot to the accuracy 2. I think bow hunt gives way less stress to the animals in woods than comparing to gunshot which is able to stress whole animalls surrounding 2-3 km in distance couse they do know what this sound is about, if you ask my i would probably name million of positive bow sides when it comes to comparing gun and bow

mr lee wrote: »
    i dont bother with locaters or a shovel,i just go with the ferret and nets,its a cheap pastime then,
    /quote]

It's also quite irresponsible not using a locator. Your ferret won't always chase a rabbit out and will kill underground and also chance of losing your ferret aswell.

AlanG wrote: »
    I don’t believe it would be a positive change. Bow kills are not clean enough and often end up in unnecessary suffering. On top of that even a few animals wandering the countryside with arrows hanging out of them would turn a lot of neutrals against hunting and possibly lead to lots of extra restrictions.

Thats why high restrictions needed, if you not sure you can hit animals dead zone of 10000000000000000000% dont even try it, im talking about hunters who know how to kill animal with less stress than gun, im sure there is plenty boars running with gunshot holes in legs too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

As said, bow hunting is illegal in this country so discussion of it is a bit pointless. I'm going to close this thread unless I'm persuaded there's a good reason to re-open it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement