Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cash a revenue commissioners cheque in BOI College Green (the bank that issued

Options
  • 03-02-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a cheque from revenue. I don't have a BOI account. The cheque is drawn to BOI College Green. Can I cash it there if I bring ID?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a cheque from revenue. I don't have a BOI account. The cheque is drawn to BOI College Green. Can I cash it there if I bring ID?

Thanks!
    Hi Dr Pepper,

Thank you for contacting Bank of Ireland.

If it is a crossed cheque it cannot be cashed, Revenue cheques tend to be crossed so it must be lodged into an account and go through the necessary clearing times.

Many thanks

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Ok, thanks Sean. Yes, it is crossed. I could do with the cash to pay my Visa bill due on Friday but it seems to take a week or more to clear a cheque these days so I guess I'm out of luck!

/ Rant coming up - Not having a go at you Sean and I don't require a response ;-)
    I think if it suited the banks to clear cheques instantly, they would be able to do it, no problem. In 2014, it's insane that we are still using these pieces of paper where funds take over a week to access. AIB will be looking for my money (Visa bill) on Friday. If I'm late, I will pay penalties, interest and effectively get a criminal record - or something akin to it! If they take 10 days to clear my cheque (i.e. pay me), tough! The banks are making a fortune out of these clearing periods ('limbo').
    / End rant

Advertisement