Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phone Watch

Options
  • 03-02-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

After I was burgled some years back, I decided to invest in an active anti-burglary system, namely, Eircom Phonewatch. At the time I was told that the unit was the "BMW of alarm systems." Simple to install (wireless modules) and hassle-free (if I ever intended to move). The entire rig cost 1200 Punt (pre-Euro). What I did NOT realize, was that if I ever intended to move out of Ireland, then the system would be of no use to me as it was inextricably linked to Eircom's network. So, I've been stuck with this pretty much obsolete system and 1200 punts out-of-pocket ever since.
    If anybody knows of a way to "unlock" this system so I can use it anywhere (linked to my mobile number), I'd be most appreciative of any help. Otherwise it might be a good idea to simply sell it on to a permanent Irish household.
    Cheers
    JG (Dublin)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

That's why they're so eager to sell it. You're stuck with Eircom for your phone forever more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

for what its worth Eircom don't own it any more so contact the new owners and maybe see about upgrading or changing it,

actually looking at their website they show a mobile phone in their image so you should be able to change it surely?

http://www.phonewatch.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

professore wrote: »
    That's why they're so eager to sell it. You're stuck with Eircom for your phone forever more.

Not so. I changed my Phonewatch alarm to use a GSM transmitter and I'm on UPC phone now. Cost about €120 I think and worth every penny in terms of what I save on my phone bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The system doesn't need a phone line as it can also use cellular connectivity. How do you mean intrinsically linked? You can use the system without any connectivity, eg when your subscription runs out, however you'll use the key point of the system, the monitoring service. Once you get the installation code you can set the system up wherever you want, they tell you it when talking you through adding a new device/key fob. Just make sure the terms and conditions don't state that PhoneWatch own the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

eircom don't own phonewatch anymore, so it's probably worth your time to call phonewatch to see what they're willing to do for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

After I was burgled some years back, I decided to invest in an active anti-burglary system, namely, Eircom Phonewatch. At the time I was told that the unit was the "BMW of alarm systems." Simple to install (wireless modules) and hassle-free (if I ever intended to move). The entire rig cost 1200 Punt (pre-Euro). What I did NOT realize, was that if I ever intended to move out of Ireland, then the system would be of no use to me as it was inextricably linked to Eircom's network. So, I've been stuck with this pretty much obsolete system and 1200 punts out-of-pocket ever since.
    If anybody knows of a way to "unlock" this system so I can use it anywhere (linked to my mobile number), I'd be most appreciative of any help. Otherwise it might be a good idea to simply sell it on to a permanent Irish household.
    Cheers
    JG (Dublin)

What did you expect?

The whole premises of Eircom Phonewatch that it's a monitored alarm system.

It's kind of unusual that people would take an alarm system out of the house when moving. WHo on earth does that - brings a monitored alarm system to another country? When people are selling, they tend to list an alarm system as an added extra.

If you installed yours pre 2002, I would have thought at the cost €127 per year that you've got your value out of it at this point?

What you could do is just use it as a stand alone alarm system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, to be honest it sounds like you didn't even bother to read up on when you wanted from an alarm system or how it even works.

You know if your taking it out of a house (why would anyone even do this?) then voltage for the alarm system could also be an issue depending on where you are moving,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Five Lamps wrote: »
    What did you expect?

The whole premises of Eircom Phonewatch that it's a monitored alarm system.

It's kind of unusual that people would take an alarm system out of the house when moving. WHo on earth does that - brings a monitored alarm system to another country? When people are selling, they tend to list an alarm system as an added extra.

If you installed yours pre 2002, I would have thought at the cost €127 per year that you've got your value out of it at this point?

What you could do is just use it as a stand alone alarm system.

+1

OP, when you were considering buying the system did the seller tell you that the system will work with monitoring systems outside of Ireland. If, as your post suggests, you just assumed it would or didn't even consider it at the time of purchase then how can you place any responsibility on Phonewatch?

Saying that you are "1200 punts out-of-pocket ever since." and the title "Eircom 'phoney' Watch" makes it sound like you had been deceived and left with a useless system whereas you actually got an alarm system which has served you for at least 12 years.

As other's have said, you should be able to use the system anywhere as a stand-alone system unconnected to a monitoring service or you should be able to add a GSM module to send alerts to a mobile phone.

One question you may need to consider is are there any regulations in your country which will prevent you installing the alarm system abroad. For example, does the +12year old alarm system need to comply with any new regulations? What is availability of spares like, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Home Security Systems

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Not so. I changed my Phonewatch alarm to use a GSM transmitter and I'm on UPC phone now. Cost about €120 I think and worth every penny in terms of what I save on my phone bill.

I hate to say it but you do realise that GSM can and are been jammed during burglaries.
    Of course typically that sort of thing does not enter the minds of sales managers in high spending sales departments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Will you be taking your light bulbs with you too...?

Cheers
    JG (Dublin)

Surely in auctioneers terminology it is a fixture of the house. Secondly the system is 12 years old, is there a sticker on it that says what standard it conforms too? Ie IS199 or En50131?
    If the system is that old I have my doubts that it complies with the pan European standard known as EN50131, if it did then you probably would have no technical reason for setting it up in another EC country. However if you are going elsewhere in the world, forget about it. My reasoning is purely technical as the system works on a certain frequency range here which is set by the relevant authorities on this side of the world. The frequency cannot be changed but you might very well find that you are unknowingly interfering with future neighbours electronics.

Seriously though I feel you got good value for your £1,200 all those 12 years ago. Let it go:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

kub wrote: »
    I hate to say it but you do realise that GSM can and are been jammed during burglaries.
    Of course typically that sort of thing does not enter the minds of sales managers in high spending sales departments.

um no. I didn't know that. Thanks for freaking me out though!

um no. I didn't know that. Thanks for freaking me out though!

Who recommended this and when?

Seriously though anyone working in our sector has a responsibility to point it out to our clients. Its not a secret, it has been in the media for the last 2 years at least.

Sorry about that.

Ps Did someone tell you that your phonewatch alarm would not work on a UPC phone line as well?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

At the end of the day this is your system not PWs.
    You are free to shop around any licenced company and ask them to take it over & reprogramme it for you. Some will happily do it. Others won't touch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I bought a car several years ago for 30k, I'm told its only worth 5k now - I feel ripped off and out of pocket.

That's what the op is saying in a way.

If you moved it to let's say London, I'm sorry but the Gardai will be no good for you.

Assuming you own the house, it can be a selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Braggadocio

Surely in auctioneers terminology it is a fixture of the house. Secondly the system is 12 years old, is there a sticker on it that says what standard it conforms too? Ie IS199 or En50131?
    If the system is that old I have my doubts that it complies with the pan European standard known as EN50131, if it did then you probably would have no technical reason for setting it up in another EC country. However if you are going elsewhere in the world, forget about it. My reasoning is purely technical as the system works on a certain frequency range here which is set by the relevant authorities on this side of the world. The frequency cannot be changed but you might very well find that you are unknowingly interfering with future neighbours electronics.

Seriously though I feel you got good value for your £1,200 all those 12 years ago. Let it go:(.
    To be absolutely honest, I got just over a year's use out of EPW because it became more disruptive than beneficial to continue with the service (not their fault).
    With neighbour's children often playing in the vicinity, anytime a tennis of football struck my windows, the alarm was activated and a sequence of events set in motion that ultimately ended with the police having to enter my home after my neighbour allowed them in. Once these types of incidents become a near monthly occurrence, it's time to react lest you incur the wrath of the garda for a surplus of false alarms, and your trusted neighbour for needless disturbances.
    Ideally what I wanted was a simple motion-sensor system that called me directly on my mobile, giving me the option to then notify my neighbour of a possible problem and have him cautiously check for any sign of intruders.

Incidentally the wall control unit Interactive Technologies Inc (USA) states: Conforms to EN 60950

To be absolutely honest, I got just over a year's use out of EPW because it became more disruptive than beneficial to continue with the service (not their fault).
    With neighbour's children often playing in the vicinity, anytime a tennis of football struck my windows, the alarm was activated and a sequence of events set in motion that ultimately ended with the police having to enter my home after my neighbour allowed them in. Once these types of incidents become a near monthly occurrence, it's time to react lest you incur the wrath of the garda for a surplus of false alarms, and your trusted neighbour for needless disturbances.
    Ideally what I wanted was a simple motion-sensor system that called me directly on my mobile, giving me the option to then notify my neighbour of a possible problem and have him cautiously check for any sign of intruders.

Incidentally the wall control unit Interactive Technologies Inc (USA) states: Conforms to EN 60950

So you have not used it in 11 years, the thing about alarms is that they will deteriorate over time regardless of whether they are used or not.

If memory serves me correctly originally when Telecom Eireann set up Phonewatch they did so in some type of partnership with an American company call Nynex or something like that.
    Also I think EN 60950 relates to electronic systems that provide data, nothing to do with security standards. Is there any mention on the stickers of IS199?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Braggadocio

So you have not used it in 11 years, the thing about alarms is that they will deteriorate over time regardless of whether they are used or not.

If memory serves me correctly originally when Telecom Eireann set up Phonewatch they did so in some type of partnership with an American company call Nynex or something like that.
    Also I think EN 60950 relates to electronic systems that provide data, nothing to do with security standards. Is there any mention on the stickers of IS199?
    Further tech info:
    I.S. 199 : 1987
    Licence Number IAS-073
    Conforms to IEC65 (1986)
    EN 60950: 1997-A11
    Product designed to work on PSTNs throughout the European Union
    The wireless sensors were powered by SAFT 3.6V batteries
    The manual is titled: International Concord User's Guide

Many thanks for the input on this matter. Should I sell? Is the system worth upgrading?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You should definitely consider upgrading.

• Advertisement

Further tech info:
    I.S. 199 : 1987
    Licence Number IAS-073
    Conforms to IEC65 (1986)
    EN 60950: 1997-A11
    Product designed to work on PSTNs throughout the European Union
    The wireless sensors were powered by SAFT 3.6V batteries
    The manual is titled: International Concord User's Guide

Many thanks for the input on this matter. Should I sell? Is the system worth upgrading?

I can't exactly see too many people queuing up to buy it, best bet is leave well enough alone and whenever you get to where you are going get yourself a new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

regarding the GSM blocking thing its all about your risk factor so if you don't have the crown jewels at home then the type of burglar you attract will not have a GSM Jammer with him most homes in urban areas are robbed by drug addicts who are very predictable in there entry into homes I think 9 out or 10 homes are broken into on the ground level and gsm is better than nothing ALWAYS so enough of the bull the truth is every thing out there has a week spot GSM landline Duelcom and yes even radio so its a deterrent not a solution .......

stuartkee wrote: »
    regarding the GSM blocking thing its all about your risk factor so if you don't have the crown jewels at home then the type of burglar you attract will not have a GSM Jammer with him most homes in urban areas are robbed by drug addicts who are very predictable in there entry into homes I think 9 out or 10 homes are broken into on the ground level and gsm is better than nothing ALWAYS so enough of the bull the truth is every thing out there has a week spot GSM landline Duelcom and yes even radio so its a deterrent not a solution .......

I agree with you on most of that, i know of course in military terms it may be possible but I have never come across a monitoring station radio unit being jammed.
    I always point out the weakness of GSM's to my customers, if they still want one then great we fit it.
    I am just one of those installers who would dread getting a call from one of my customers telling me that someone had managed to break into their home or premises, without been detected due to a shortcoming on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

All this proves is that the system that you bought worked exceedingly well. Alarm activated and responded to. To be frank, if tennis balls were such a frequent issue then it is your responsibility to prevent them generating false alarms. PhoneWatch don't call the Gardai when a single motion sensor is triggered or your neighbours for that matter - they call you.

I can't help noticing that under your proposed new system that your neighbours are still the first line of defence. Hope you look after him or her well at Christmas!!

Advertisement