Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless CCTV?

Options
  • 03-02-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Parents house was burgled at the weekend
    He has alarm installers coming over for quotes today but is interested in getting a few "handy cameras" set up separately in the house
    Now, the catch, it has to be wireless the house has external insulation so he won't allow anything to be screwed into or through the outside of the house
    We are looking at two external cameras and a couple (2-3) indoors
    House has broadband would prefer a system that can be remotely accessed if possible

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Parents house was burgled at the weekend
    He has alarm installers coming over for quotes today but is interested in getting a few "handy cameras" set up separately in the house
    Now, the catch, it has to be wireless the house has external insulation so he won't allow anything to be screwed into or through the outside of the house
    We are looking at two external cameras and a couple (2-3) indoors
    House has broadband would prefer a system that can be remotely accessed if possible

Any thoughts?

How are the lads going to put up the external sounder for the alarm system if he does not want the walls drilled?
    I do not know of any wireless camera system, every professional CCTV camera needs a power cable. Could the cameras be fitted to the facia by any chance?
    I would seriously urge you to be wary of a knee jerk reaction now, i appreciate what is going through your minds now but in the general scheme of things 2/3 internal cameras in a house is extreme.
    Also if you are only fitting 2 external cameras they will not provide you with much on a playback, ie, you will not be able to identify anyone......I mean in a court situation.
    Ps all modern CCTV systems allow for remote viewing either phone or computer. Would suggest also that you speak with the alarm companies calling today as most of us do alarms and CCTV as well as other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

kub wrote: »
    How are the lads going to put up the external sounder for the alarm system if he does not want the walls drilled?
    I do not know of any wireless camera system, every professional CCTV camera needs a power cable. Could the cameras be fitted to the facia by any chance?
    I would seriously urge you to be wary of a knee jerk reaction now, i appreciate what is going through your minds now but in the general scheme of things 2/3 internal cameras in a house is extreme.
    Also if you are only fitting 2 external cameras they will not provide you with much on a playback, ie, you will not be able to identify anyone......I mean in a court situation.
    Ps all modern CCTV systems allow for remote viewing either phone or computer. Would suggest also that you speak with the alarm companies calling today as most of us do alarms and CCTV as well as other things.

Will be asking the alarm companies for sure :)
    I know 2/3 cameras indoors seems extreme but my parents are hoarders of antiques & other valuables so there are at least three rooms any burglar worth his salt would be spending a lot of time in so the father wants to maximise the opportunities to get them on camera ;)

Yes the alarm box will be fitted to the fascia no where else for it :D

Will be asking the alarm companies for sure :)
    I know 2/3 cameras indoors seems extreme but my parents are hoarders of antiques & other valuables so there are at least three rooms any burglar worth his salt would be spending a lot of time in so the father wants to maximise the opportunities to get them on camera ;)

Ok Angelfire, basically after just reading your post above, I am of the opinion that you are much better off considering the following:

1. A wireless perimeter alarm system ( unless of course the house is already wired).
    2. That perimeter alarm system should also contain 2/ 3 beams within the house in such places as landing, hall or indeed a particular room in which you may be concerned about the valuables within.
    3. External CCTV covering all doors into the house, these should provide facial recognition (ie the sort of picture of you see of someone who is reading the news on the TV).
    4. My concern is these guys that have broke in may have been just chancers, but will be aware of the items in the house and may spread the word. Is there anywhere that your parents could put some of their more expensive stuff just for a few weeks?
    5. I would definitely connect that alarm system to a monitoring centre, but would also recommend that you consider a back up to telephone line connectivity, a radio unit or polling GSM unit would certainly suffice.

Yes exactly they were disturbed on the night and exited via back door while parents entered the front
    The house has only two doors exiting but they entered via a window (which they broke)

There is WAY too much stuff to remove from the house
    We do have 24/7 off duty Garda on the premises at the moment pending the fitting of an alarm
    I doubt my poor hubby planned to spend his days off with the in laws :D

Yes exactly they were disturbed on the night and exited via back door while parents entered the front
    The house has only two doors exiting but they entered via a window (which they broke)

There is WAY too much stuff to remove from the house
    We do have 24/7 off duty Garda on the premises at the moment pending the fitting of an alarm
    I doubt my poor hubby planned to spend his days off with the in laws :D

I hope he loves his mother in law, we all really do ;).
    I am delighted to see that you have some help in that sector, would it be an idea to get the regional crime prevention officer around for a chat?
    Ps I knew i encountered your user name on another thread recently, if i remember correctly you did put that other poster in his/ her place.

• Advertisement

I hope he loves his mother in law, we all really do ;).
    I am delighted to see that you have some help in that sector, would it be an idea to get the regional crime prevention officer around for a chat?
    Ps I knew i encountered your user name on another thread recently, if i remember correctly you did put that other poster in his/ her place.
    Local CPO recommended an alarm
    Like DUH!

Anyway got two quotes today two more tomorrow both quoted for alarm plus sensors on all external windows & doors plus 6 PIR's (think that's what they called them??) 4 external cameras wired through fascia (not convinced at that height they will do any good:( ) plus 3 cameras indoors (where each collection of goodies us located)
    First quote was €1650 inc vat & installation
    The other was €1350 inc installation ex VAT

Is that kinda normal pricing??

PS not sure what the thread was I'm a nice girl really ;)

Local CPO recommended an alarm
    Like DUH!

Anyway got two quotes today two more tomorrow both quoted for alarm plus sensors on all external windows & doors plus 6 PIR's (think that's what they called them??) 4 external cameras wired through fascia (not convinced at that height they will do any good:( ) plus 3 cameras indoors (where each collection of goodies us located)
    First quote was €1650 inc vat & installation
    The other was €1350 inc installation ex VAT

Is that kinda normal pricing??

PS not sure what the thread was I'm a nice girl really ;)

Do those quotes include the CCTV as well? I hope its just the alarm, basically wireless equipment is a lot more expensive than wired, but what you do save on is labour.

You are correct about the camera positions on the facia, more than likely you will end up 'seeing everything but making out nothing', which isn't exactly helpful after a crime etc.

Ps I know you are a very nice person.

Do those quotes include the CCTV as well? I hope its just the alarm, basically wireless equipment is a lot more expensive than wired, but what you do save on is labour.

You are correct about the camera positions on the facia, more than likely you will end up 'seeing everything but making out nothing', which isn't exactly helpful after a crime etc.

Ps I know you are a very nice person.

Yes price includes cctv
    It's €650 approximately for alarm only and the guts of a grand for cctv :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

That's not too bad as systems can be expensive depending on your needs.

The alarm/cctv companies have a huge licence fee of €5,000 a year just for cctv. Obviously this has to be passed on.

If you are thinking wireless ip cctv cameras they can be picked up relatively cheap and fit maybe 2 inside and 1 front and 1 rear outside.

Yes price includes cctv

Have they specified inertia shock sensors with contacts or just contacts on the windows and doors?
    I would recommend both, I am not sure being honest that you are paying enough and I hate saying this but you do get what you are paying for.

• Advertisement

Yes price includes cctv

Have they specified inertia shock sensors with contacts or just contacts on the windows and doors?
    I would recommend both, I am not sure being honest that you are paying enough and I hate saying this but you do get what you are paying for.

Advertisement