Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design for backend web service

Options
  • 03-02-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I've a question about the design of a back-end web solution. I've a good few years programming experience but haven't worked on much web related projects so looking for some advice of where to start.

The general solution I am looking is a back-end for a website which has:
    - database
    - web service that provides data to client side web via XML/JSON from the DB
    - some processing component which will be always running. i.e. some always on background thread managing some processes/resources.

I'll be using .NET so hosting in windows environment (and I guess there are many ways to design/implement this)

For the web service part I'm thinking of WCF Rest service which can be hosted in IIS
    For the processing component could/should this be:
    A. windows NT service which would connect directly (or via web service) to the DB
    B. static thread running in the web service in IIS above (or in its own seperate web application)
    C. Something else cos A & B are way of the mark!

So this is the bit that I not sure whats the best way to go especially in terms of when I go to host this solution with some hosting service. I guess with A I'd need a Virtual machine hosting if I have a NT service component and perhaps with B I'd only need a IIS web hosting provider.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement