Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving premises

Options
  • 03-02-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. Our office is moving premises in a couple of months time. At the moment we're located on a bus route so there's no problem there. However, the new location is about ten minutes from the current bus stop. I'm looking at the problem of having no access to a car and having no way of getting to work. I have a drivers licence but don't like the idea of buying a car just to run it for a few minutes per day. Does the employer have any obligations in a situation such as this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ten minutes walk, or ten minute drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry, ten minute drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ten minutes walk, or ten minute drive?
    Well assuming 10 min drive, 50km an hour (normal legal city speed) we'd still talk 8km distance; double it and we're still far with in the limits of what would be considered with in acceptable limits.

To OP not really; the distance based on your information is not long enough for it to be considered as far as I can remember. Have a read through your contract though, it may state your specified address rather then "company working location" or similar and don't have a "or other locations as seen fit" which could give you some leeway for redundancy (assuming 2+ years employement at the company) but highly doubt you'd get further then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks. No contract so have nothing to go on there. Is it silly of me to think that the employer could supply transport for me? Not sure what is normally done in a situation like this.

Advertisement